"Show this folder as an e-mail Address Book" is dimmed

We are running Outlook 2003 on Exchange 2003.  A user recently got married
and her AD account was updated to reflect the name change.  Since that time,
she is no longer able to browse a public contact folder she had previously
marked to show as an e-mail address book.  She can view it and browse it via
Outlook directly with no trouble, but cannot access it via the address book.
The option to "Show this folder as an e-mail Address Book" is grayed out,
preventing her from re-enabling this much-needed feature, and I can't figure
out why.  I verified her membership in the security group that gives her
permission to this folder, and I even granted her direct, explicit
permission to the folder, but the option is still dimmed.

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Bryan

is the Outlook Address Book service installed in her profile?  if not, add
it...if it is, remove it, re-add it, then try again to specify "show this
folder as an email address book"...

--
Susan Conkey [MVP]

"Bryan L" <blinton.nospam@connellinsurance.nospam.com> wrote in message
> We are running Outlook 2003 on Exchange 2003.  A user recently got married
> and her AD account was updated to reflect the name change.  Since that
time,
> she is no longer able to browse a public contact folder she had previously
> marked to show as an e-mail address book.  She can view it and browse it
via
> Outlook directly with no trouble, but cannot access it via the address
book.
> The option to "Show this folder as an e-mail Address Book" is grayed out,
> preventing her from re-enabling this much-needed feature, and I can't
figure
> out why.  I verified her membership in the security group that gives her
> permission to this folder, and I even granted her direct, explicit
> permission to the folder, but the option is still dimmed.
>
> Any help or suggestions appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Bryan

0
sconkey (3059)
5/31/2006 3:41:57 PM

In news:%232x8wdMhGHA.4080@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl,
Bryan L <blinton.nospam@connellinsurance.nospam.com> typed:
> We are running Outlook 2003 on Exchange 2003.  A user recently got
> married and her AD account was updated to reflect the name change. Since
> that time, she is no longer able to browse a public contact
> folder she had previously marked to show as an e-mail address book. She
> can view it and browse it via Outlook directly with no trouble,
> but cannot access it via the address book. The option to "Show this
> folder as an e-mail Address Book" is grayed out, preventing her from
> re-enabling this much-needed feature, and I can't figure out why.  I
> verified her membership in the security group that gives her
> permission to this folder, and I even granted her direct, explicit
> permission to the folder, but the option is still dimmed.
> Any help or suggestions appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Bryan

Tools | email accounts | view/change address books....more. Add the Outlook
Address Book service (under 'other'). Close Outlook. Restart. Try again.

0
lanwench (7567)
5/31/2006 3:45:34 PM
To Susan and Lanwench:

Further searches via google led me to the info you provide here; I found
that when she logged into Windows with her new username, a new Outlook
profile was created (I had thought the old profile might be renamed or
otherwise migrated) and the new profile was indeed missing the Outlook
Address Book service.  Adding the service to her profile resolved the
problem and she can again browse the shared contact folder from her address
book.  Thanks to both of you for your quick responses.

Bryan

"Susan" <sconkey@mgmmirage.nospam.com> wrote in message
> is the Outlook Address Book service installed in her profile?  if not, add
> it...if it is, remove it, re-add it, then try again to specify "show this
> folder as an email address book"...
>
> --
> Susan Conkey [MVP]
>

> "Bryan L" <blinton.nospam@connellinsurance.nospam.com> wrote in message
>> We are running Outlook 2003 on Exchange 2003.  A user recently got
>> married
>> and her AD account was updated to reflect the name change.  Since that
> time,
>> she is no longer able to browse a public contact folder she had
>> previously
>> marked to show as an e-mail address book.  She can view it and browse it
> via
>> Outlook directly with no trouble, but cannot access it via the address
> book.
>> The option to "Show this folder as an e-mail Address Book" is grayed out,
>> preventing her from re-enabling this much-needed feature, and I can't
> figure
>> out why.  I verified her membership in the security group that gives her
>> permission to this folder, and I even granted her direct, explicit
>> permission to the folder, but the option is still dimmed.
>>
>> Any help or suggestions appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Bryan

show this folder as an e-mail address book
When I create a public folder that contains contact information the 'show this folder as an e-mail address book' for all Outlook clients is un-checked by default. Is there anyway to have this checked by default for all my clients? Thanks. Jeff It can be done by having each user run a script that uses Outlook = automation to set the ShowAsOutlookAB property for that folder to TRue.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Adm...

Show This Folder as an E-mail Address Book Is Dimmed
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000D_01C66ADA.58223750 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I am an administrator of a network with 8 Windows 2003 servers SP1 and 1 = Exchange 2003 SP2. Clients are running Windows XP/Office XP and Windows = 2000/Office 2000.=20 I want to share contacts with the rest of the company, contacts that I = copied from another users Outlook 2000 to the Public Folders item. I = want the contacts to be available in the Global Addresslist but in the = Properties|Outlook ...

Show this folder as an e-mail address book problem
I have one user with an Outlook problem. When he starts an email, and clicks on teh "to:" button, he has no contact lists to choose from. When doing a folder view of contacts, in each contact list, the checkbox for "Show this folder as an e-mail address book" is greyed out. Anyone know how I can get it changed so I can change them? Sounds like the user does not have the Outlook Address Book service in = their mail profile. Adding it should resolve the problem.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook 2007 Programming: Jumpstart for Power U...

Show this folder as an e-mail Address Book #3
Hi all, I have just created a new distribution lists in our public folders. When I go to all the workstations, the "Show this folder as an e-mail Address Book" is unchecked. To save me going to all workstations and checking this setting, is there some way I can set it to "Show this folder as an e-mail Address Book" automatically? Cheers Marty... Hi Marty, sorry but this is not possible. Normally you can create a "PRF file" to configure Outlook automatically with the same settings, but the "Outlook Addressbook" is unsupported for this "auto...

Show this folder as an e-mail Address Book #2
Hi all, I have just created a new contacts list in our public folders. When I go to all the workstations, the "Show this folder as an e-mail Address Book" is unchecked. To save me going to all workstations and checking this setting, is there some way I can set it to "Show this folder as an e-mail Address Book" automatically? Cheers Marty... ....ms... <martin@adg.com.au> wrote: > Hi all, > > I have just created a new contacts list in our public folders. > When I go to all the workstations, the "Show this folder as an e-mail > Address Book&q...

OAB: Grayed out show this folder as an e-mail Address Book
Client: Outlook 2003 (11.5608.5606) Server: Exchange Server from MS Small Business Server 2003 Premium What can I do to enable my contact folders in the Outlook Address Book? (They worked until this morning!) I've followed the instructions to install the Outlook Address book service and tried to mark 2 of my contact folders (1 in my mailbox and 1 in a contacts folder under an Exchange Public Folder), but the check box under the Outlook Address Book tab is disabled. Any ideas? New to the game wrote: > Client: Outlook 2003 (11.5608.5606) > Server: Exchange Server from MS Small...

"Show this folder as an e-mail Address Book" is dimmed
We are running Outlook 2003 on Exchange 2003. A user recently got married and her AD account was updated to reflect the name change. Since that time, she is no longer able to browse a public contact folder she had previously marked to show as an e-mail address book. She can view it and browse it via Outlook directly with no trouble, but cannot access it via the address book. The option to "Show this folder as an e-mail Address Book" is grayed out, preventing her from re-enabling this much-needed feature, and I can't figure out why. I verified her membership in the secu...

"show this folder as an e-mail address book" greyed out
When I try to add CONTACT to the Address Book, I find "show this folder as an e-mail address book" greyed out. I have done a google, and I have added the Outlook Address Book under Accout Settings. I have read that you should be able to remove it and then readd it, but the X is greyed out once I installed Outlook Address Book. I have created a new profile, and there it seems to work OK. I realize I might not be able to "fix" the current profile. Is there a way to get all of the email account over to the new profile? And all of the data files? I am using OL 2007 Tha...

"Show this folder as an e-mail address book " is greyed out
This is in the Properties option under the CONTACTS folder What version of Outlook are you using, and if 98 or 2000, what mail support mode? If you're not sure, look at the second line of Help | About Microsoft Outlook -- it should say "Internet Mail Only" or "Corporate/Workgroup". (Outlook 97, 2002, and 2003 don't have separate modes.) -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:0b7201c3b9a2$fd6f5bc0$a301280a@phx.gbl, Anon wrote...