"Forward all mail with unresolved recipients to host" Option

I wanted some clarification on this setting that is part of the Default SMTP
Virtual Server.  We have an environment that has multiple AGs and each AG is
responsible for different mail domains (xxx.com, yyy.com, zzz.com...).   We
have a mail domain under an AG that is shared between our Exchange Org and
another mail system.  If we set the option below on one of the Exchange
Servers in the specific AG, does this mean that all unresolved recipients for
the "Exchange Org" will route to this host?  Is there a way to restrict only
specific unresolved domains to go this route?

Thanks in advanced.  I just wanted to understand this option.
0
Pikake (2)

There isn't a good way to control that without setting up a dedicated SMTP
VS on a separate port or IP and making that the inbound destination for the
domain in question.

"Pikake" <Pikake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I wanted some clarification on this setting that is part of the Default
>SMTP
> Virtual Server.  We have an environment that has multiple AGs and each AG
> is
> responsible for different mail domains (xxx.com, yyy.com, zzz.com...).
> We
> have a mail domain under an AG that is shared between our Exchange Org and
> another mail system.  If we set the option below on one of the Exchange
> Servers in the specific AG, does this mean that all unresolved recipients
> for
> the "Exchange Org" will route to this host?  Is there a way to restrict
> only
> specific unresolved domains to go this route?
>
> Thanks in advanced.  I just wanted to understand this option.

0
awebb7472 (650)
8/16/2006 6:08:44 PM
That option means that any email address defined from your recipient
policy that does not exist in AD will get forwarded out to whatever
smart host you specify. This option is usually used in cases where you
doing some kind of SMTP namespace sharing.

James Chong
MCSE |M+, S+, MCTS, Security+
msexchangetips.blogspot.com

Pikake wrote:
> I wanted some clarification on this setting that is part of the Default SMTP
> Virtual Server.  We have an environment that has multiple AGs and each AG is
> responsible for different mail domains (xxx.com, yyy.com, zzz.com...).   We
> have a mail domain under an AG that is shared between our Exchange Org and
> another mail system.  If we set the option below on one of the Exchange
> Servers in the specific AG, does this mean that all unresolved recipients for
> the "Exchange Org" will route to this host?  Is there a way to restrict only
> specific unresolved domains to go this route?
>
> Thanks in advanced.  I just wanted to understand this option.

0
jamestechman (1266)

Hallo, I need forward mail to ip adress 10.0.0.2. It is fine. But I need forward it on port 2525. Do You anybody how I can put this information to exchange? Ip adress I can put in [10.0.0.2], but I dont know about port. Thanks You can modify the outbound port: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/274842/ Nue "Jan Hou�vi�ka" <jan.houzvicka@relsie.cz> wrote in message news:Ou6M4iplGHA.5036@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Hallo, I need forward mail to ip adress 10.0.0.2. It is fine. But I need > forward it on port 2525. > Do You anybody how I can put this information to e...