"Bad Mail" directory

My Excsrvc\mail root\vsi 1\BadMail directory is over 500Mb
in size.  Can I delete all these files?  Is this something
I should do periodically?  What is the purpose of this
directory and how are these files created?

tks,
steve
0
anonymous (74722)

Yes you can delete them.  They are effectively NDRs that cannot be returned.
Microsoft provides a script to automatically purge this folder - see the
first download here:

http://hellomate.typepad.com/exchange/2004/05/lots_of_goodies.html

--
Neil Hobson
Exchange MVP

For Exchange news, links and tips, check:
http://www.msexchangeblog.com

"sjs" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My Excsrvc\mail root\vsi 1\BadMail directory is over 500Mb
> in size.  Can I delete all these files?  Is this something
> I should do periodically?  What is the purpose of this
> directory and how are these files created?
>
> tks,
> steve

0
neil.hobson (1158)
6/15/2004 9:00:41 PM
Thanks Neil!

0
anonymous (74722)
6/16/2004 1:32:26 AM
Does the badmailadmin.exe file work on Exchange 2000 Server?

"Neil Hobson [MVP]" wrote:

> Yes you can delete them.  They are effectively NDRs that cannot be returned.
> Microsoft provides a script to automatically purge this folder - see the
> first download here:
>
> http://hellomate.typepad.com/exchange/2004/05/lots_of_goodies.html
>
> --
> Neil Hobson
> Exchange MVP
>
> For Exchange news, links and tips, check:
> http://www.msexchangeblog.com
>
> "sjs" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My Excsrvc\mail root\vsi 1\BadMail directory is over 500Mb
> > in size.  Can I delete all these files?  Is this something
> > I should do periodically?  What is the purpose of this
> > directory and how are these files created?
> >
> > tks,
> > steve

0
mark564 (750)

Bad Mail Folder issues
Why does the Bad mail folder continue to fill up AND more importantly, how can you reduce administration of keeping it emptied? Please reply to: tsuru8@yahoo.com Thx in advance! Typically this will have midaddressed mails sent to this folder but it can also mean you are Open for Relay. Make sure you are not open for Relay then you can just write a simple batch file to empty the BadMail folder and use Task Scheduler to run it weekly. -- John Oliver, Jr. MCSE, MCT, CCNA, Exchange MVP Microsoft Certified Partner "Tsuru" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in mess...

Bad Mail Directory
Is there a setting in Exchange that will delete all contents in the BadMail directory periodically? Since there really is no use for the messages in there? With all the spam going around today that directory fills up extremely fast. Currently I have been stopping the SMTP service and deleting the folder. Any other faster suggestions are appreciated too. Thanks. Ken Create a batch file that contains the command del <full path to badmail>\*.* /q and schedule it to run daily in your task scheduler. Ken Ostrowski wrote: > Is there a setting in Exchange that will delete all...

auto deleting bad mail
Any way to auto delete the bad mail? So i don't have to go in every so often and delete the large quantity of them? On 26 Mar 2007 15:28:00 -0700, alittlegeeky01@gmail.com wrote: >Any way to auto delete the bad mail? So i don't have to go in every so >often and delete the large quantity of them? If you mean on the Exchange Server, using the badmail folder has been disabled since Exch 2003 SP1. Otherwise a script or tool: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=782aaf0f-6239-40ad-adda-97863d852ff7&displaylang=en ...

bad mail #3
We regularly have email sent to us where the recipients name is incorrectly spelt causing the mail to get bounced. Is their a way within exchange 2003 that these email or others that contain our @domain.com be delivered to a bad mail account so we can manually filter what’s needed or not. Thanks David On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 02:05:02 -0800, Daveed <Daveed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >We regularly have email sent to us where the recipients name is incorrectly >spelt causing the mail to get bounced. >Is their a way within exchange 2003 that these email or others that contain &...

Bad Mail
Hello, We use the SBS2003 and Exchange 2003 with the POP3 connector. We and also our customer have one problem - lot of mail Exchange send nor to the mailbox in the loacal NET and this mail is stored ine the Bad Mail folder. When I open this file in the Bad Mail folder, in this file is correct e-mail address for the client e-mail box. Why the Exchange send this mail not in the client box and store this in the Bad Mail folder. How can I check, how select the Exchange where send the received E-mails ? Jaro ...

Relocate Bad Mail Directory
My BadMail directory is causing me to get a message that my C:\ size is getting lesser everyday and I found out that it's due to the Bad Mail directory. Right now it's about 1.2 GB in size. Is it possible to relocate this to another bigger volume? If yes, what are the precautions, like permissions to the new volume/folder? Can I delete files in the directory before moving? Do I have to stopped any services or dismount any stores. Please help. Thanks. -- JoeCL LACO-CAO First I would ensure you are not open for Relay, this could be the cause for your BadMail folder growing so...

Hundreds of bad mails created in 5 mins in BAD folder
I am using exchange 2000 with sp3 with latest anitivirus patch.I suddenly faced problem of having unnumbered bad mails creating in bad mail folder .I deleted it that mails but mails are creating without stopping . Thanx in advance The contents of the badmail directory are messages that cannot be delivered. For instance, if your server is trying to issue an NDR and cannot deliver it (because the destination address is invalid), once it times out, it will be sent to the badmail directory. If you open a few of the messages in there to see what the contents are, are they NDR's? ...

Bad Mail log full (2003)
Running exchange 2003 on server 2003. The Bad Mail log fills up until the drive runs out of space. If I try to open that folder or delete the bad mail folder, it locks up and i have to reboot. The only way to clear it is to format that drive. I can find no settings to limit the amount of space the log files take up. Right now, i have the log files on a 25 GB partition and its full, i just ignore the notice that i'm running low on that disk drive and everything seems to be running ok. I'm sure there has to be a way to limit it. Thanks for any suggestions. Jason "...

bad mail folder #3
Every day I have thousands of email in the bad mail folder. The ones that I am concerend with is the ones that are address to old employees who no longer work here and who no longer have a sign on. I have turned recipent filtering on, so why are the emails being excepted in only to be rejected and now getting NDR to go back to the sender (which is spam). Thank you What version of Exchange? You can strip the attachment from NDRs if it's Exchange 2000 SP2 or higher, per http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308303 Another technique you can use is to create a distribution list with no members...

Bad Mail folder filling up
Over the last couple of days, I noticed our badmail folder filling up quickly. I dont have NDR delivered to any mailboxes, how should I trouble shoot where this is coming from? I just recently opened up relaying to One server on the network Hi Bruce You should be able to navigate to the BadMail directory and open one of the file, this should tell you who the message originally came from and where it was going? What version of Exchange do you have? -- Mark Fugatt Microsoft Limited This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Bruce&q...

virus being detected in bad mail folder
I just recently upgraded to SAV9.0 and Mail security 4.5 on my Exchange 2003/Server 2003 system. It is now finding virus' in the C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\Mailroot\vsi 1 \BadMail\ is this normal or do I have somehting configured wrong? I am also getting them in C:\Program Files\Symantec\SMSMSE\4.5\Server\Temp\VAP18E0.tmp >-----Original Message----- >I just recently upgraded to SAV9.0 and Mail security 4.5 >on my Exchange 2003/Server 2003 system. It is now finding >virus' in the C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\Mailroot\vsi 1 >\BadMail\ is this normal or do I have ...

Exchange
I am running Exchange 2000 Sp3 plus roll ups on my Windows 2000 server. Recently my bad mail has increased exponentially every month. This is mail that is coming in and not going to any particular user of my network...SPAM. I work in an advertising company. We have tried using Spam filters, however, due to the nature of our business, some clients were not able to send us emails. I have about 200-300 system messages a day. I have created 2 SMTP connectors which allow me to see good mail and bad mail in my SMTP Queue. I have set the SMTP connector for Bad Mail to run at 2:00 a.m., theref...

Bad Mail & Good Mail Folder
I have a workstation running XP with Outlook 2000. A few days ago the message in the inbox disappeared and two new folder appeared under the inbox. They are "Good Mail" and "Bad Mail". Can someone tell me what program adds these two folders to Outlook. By-the-way, we connect to an Exchange 2000 server. Thanks, Matt L. Sounds like an antispam application of some sort - no idea which. Did you install one? Did your network admins install one? They're the ones I'd ask first. Matt L. wrote: > I have a workstation running XP with Outlook 2000. A few > ...

Bad Mail Directory #2
I have Exchange 2000 and every time the Server attempts to read the Bad Mail directory the server CPU, utilization jumps to 100% and I start to get NDRs on incoming mail. I have attempted to delete the contents of the folder but between the constant freezing and the directory attempting to locate files have left the system inoperable. Has anyone run into this issue and can I delete the Bad Mail directory if I need too. There are multiple places that have scripts to delete this folder. You want to run this often and not build up. When you manually delete the folder, don't do it from ...

bad mail #2
I'm not sure if I'm being paranoid, but I have a feeling that the amount of bad mail is increasing every day. We are small network with one 2003 domain/exchange server and some 10 users. I would say we are "average" mail users and I haven't notice this before until my backup failed several times trying to backup bad mail folder. This was never an issue before. I'm not sure if somebody can advise me on this one, but if somebody has any clue what is the "healthy" amount of bad mail and is there one at all? The badmail folder is normally NDRs that we...

Size of Drive for SMTP Bad Mail and Queue Directory
I am moving my Badmail and Queue directory to their own drive and I am trying to determine the size of the drive required. What is the formula to determine the size - I have less than 10,000 messages per day - and/or, if I configure a 10 GB drive, will that suffice? Thanks - Rory There shouldn't be anything in the badmail anyway. Only a few messages from 2003 SP1 and none thereafter. As for the queues, it depends on the size of your Internet connection to get the mails shifted and where the high utilization profile is. 10GB should be many, many times more than you need. Regards. ...

Bad Mail
Is there a way to stop the bad mail buildup that is due to the sending of email to mailboxes that don't exist any more on our exchange server? Thanks, Steve You can create a batch file that deletes the contents of the folder, and schedule it to run automatically/daily. Steve wrote: > Is there a way to stop the bad mail buildup that is due > to the sending of email to mailboxes that don't exist any > more on our exchange server? > > Thanks, > Steve Is there any other way to just block incomming mail destined for these of email boxes? >-----Original Messa...

Bad Mail folder maintenance
This isn't a big deal but does anyone know how to clean up the Bad Mail folder on the Exchange 2003 server? There doesn't seem to be anyway to have Exchange does this. We have to go in and manually delete the bad eml files every so often. We actually had the Exchang services stop once because the disk space filled up with bad eml files. WTF!?! Thanks http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=782aaf0f-6239-40ad-adda-97863d852ff7&displaylang=en On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 18:05:03 -0800, "Dave Myles" <dmyles@strategicgroup.com> wrote: >This isn...

"Bad Mail" directory
My Excsrvc\mail root\vsi 1\BadMail directory is over 500Mb in size. Can I delete all these files? Is this something I should do periodically? What is the purpose of this directory and how are these files created? tks, steve Yes you can delete them. They are effectively NDRs that cannot be returned. Microsoft provides a script to automatically purge this folder - see the first download here: http://hellomate.typepad.com/exchange/2004/05/lots_of_goodies.html -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links and tips, check: http://www.msexchangeblog.com "sjs" <anony...

Best way to remove Bad Mail
Does someone have a good way to remove bad mail( which has piled up to about 3GB ) from Exchange server without stopping the SMTP service. Or if SMTP service needs to be stopped what is the best method? Hi Scott, You need to stop the smtp service, then open a command prompt and remove them. If you remove the 3GB files, your smtp service will start faster. -- Niclas Holmkvist Microsoft Exchange Support --- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Scott W" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E2FD3BDF-757...

bad mail folder
Is there a way to purge or delete emails in the bad mail folde4r in Exchange server 2000. If so is there a way to schedule every week? Please provide steps There is not automated way to do it from the GUI. You can write a batch file that goes in and deletes the files. Then use the AT command to schedule it. Example: Copy the test below to notepad and then save it as a .bat file. ================================== cd \exchsrvr\mailroot\vsi 1\badmail\ del *.bad del *.bdp del *.bdr exit ================================== Michael Barta [MSFT] Microsoft Exchange Support Please do not send ...

Certain mails going to bad mail folder no error other than 0x80004005
Got SBS with Exchange 2003, ISA 2004 - all updated to latest SP's. Most of our mail has started going to the bad mail folder, initially thought it was something to do with attachments, we also have GFI Mail Essentials, Mail Security and Mail Archiving installed - disabled those to no avail. Most of the mail is ending up in the bad mail folder with a BDR report with the above string in. (I had to re-enable the bad mail folder after the SP update to see what was going on - although that doesnt help). My ISP says their server is relaying everything to ours okay, they have no exchange expe...

Bad Mail folder #4
How do I read the mail in the Bad Mail folder? Exchange 2003 Thank you Drag the .BAD files into Outlook Express. -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links and tips, check: http://www.msexchangeblog.com "John" <john@vickerstechnology.com> wrote in message news:12bfd01c44340$26fb7c40$a401280a@phx.gbl... > How do I read the mail in the Bad Mail folder? Exchange > 2003 > > Thank you ...

Bad Mail Directory Cleanup
Hello, Is there any way to automatically remove emails in Badmail directory. For some reason my exchange server is sending messages to spammers or whatever that send messages to notavaliduser@mydomainname.com to let them know that this is not a valid address. Since the reply to addresses don't exist, they go to badmail ( I think). I have all relaying turned of and unchecked the access checkbox for anonymous access. Any settings I am not aware of? Thanks, Eric Schedule del "\Program Files\Exchsrvr\Mailroot\vsi 1\BadMail\*.*" to run weekly. Eric wrote: > Hello,...

Bad Mail folder #2
Hello, Have a basic question with regards to exchange 2000 running on a 2k server. I am not an exchange expert, thus this question. I inherited a file/exchange server that was built with a small 4GB system paprtition. The bad mail folder is still located on the partition and has grown to over 600 MB in Size. Can I clean out the files (Delete them)? Thanks, Erick Yes. Patrick Rouse Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server >-----Original Message----- >Hello, > > >Have a basic question with regards to exchange 2000 >running on a 2k server. I am not an exchange expert, thus &...