/3gb w/ Windows 2003 standard

I have an Exchange 2003 box running under Win2k3 SP1 standard with 2gb of
memory

The best pratice analyzer has told me that I should use the /3gb and
/USERVA=3030 in the boot.ini.
I have done this, and set the SYSTEMPAGES to 0 in the registry.  When this
is done, windows becomes very unstable, freezes and gives me disk1 errors
during paging operations.

can someone confirm that this does or does not work with this setup?

Thanks.

0
craigm1 (52)

It does work and is supported.  I'd look at what is causing the Disk1
errors.  All you are doing with the /3GB /USERVA=3030 is telling Windows to
give more virtual memory to applications instead of the OS.  It shouldn't
have the effect you are seeing.

What are the exact errors that are generated - do they show up in the event
logs?  If so, what event id #?

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"Craig" <craigm@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I have an Exchange 2003 box running under Win2k3 SP1 standard with 2gb of
>memory
>
> The best pratice analyzer has told me that I should use the /3gb and
> /USERVA=3030 in the boot.ini.
> I have done this, and set the SYSTEMPAGES to 0 in the registry.  When this
> is done, windows becomes very unstable, freezes and gives me disk1 errors
> during paging operations.
>
> can someone confirm that this does or does not work with this setup?
>
> Thanks.

0
Ben

------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C5DE03.DCFEC740

I was getting the following:
An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1 during a paging =
operation.
I think the errors were coming more because of the  SYSTEMPAGES registry =
setting change that it also asks for, rather than the boot.ini settings.
I had rebooted several times, removing one setting at a time related to =
the /3gb article, and the last thing I did was change SYSTEMSPAGES back =
to a value greater than 0.  After this, everything worked fine.
=20

"Craig" <craigm@comcast.net> wrote in message =
>I have an Exchange 2003 box running under Win2k3 SP1 standard with 2gb =
of=20
> memory
>=20
> The best pratice analyzer has told me that I should use the /3gb and=20
> /USERVA=3D3030 in the boot.ini.
> I have done this, and set the SYSTEMPAGES to 0 in the registry.  When =
this=20
> is done, windows becomes very unstable, freezes and gives me disk1 =
errors=20
> during paging operations.
>=20
> can someone confirm that this does or does not work with this setup?
>=20
> Thanks.=20
>=20

------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C5DE03.DCFEC740

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I was getting the =
following:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>An error was detected on device =
\Device\Harddisk1=20
during a paging operation.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I think the errors were coming =
more&nbsp;because of=20
the &nbsp;SYSTEMPAGES registry setting change that it also asks for, =
rather than=20
the boot.ini settings.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I had rebooted several times, removing =
one setting=20
at a time related to the /3gb article, and the last thing I&nbsp;did was =
change=20
SYSTEMSPAGES back to a value greater than 0.&nbsp; After =
this,&nbsp;everything=20
worked fine.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>"Craig" &lt;</FONT><A=20
href=3D"mailto:craigm@comcast.net"><FONT face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>craigm@comcast.net</FONT></A><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&gt; =
wrote in=20
message </FONT><A =
href=3D"news:O8Ll9Mi3FHA.1148@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl"><FONT=20
face=3DArial =
size=3D2>news:O8Ll9Mi3FHA.1148@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl</FONT></A><FONT=20
face=3DArial size=3D2>...</FONT></DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&gt;I =
have an Exchange=20
2003 box running under Win2k3 SP1 standard with 2gb of <BR>&gt; =
memory<BR>&gt;=20
<BR>&gt; The best pratice analyzer has told me that I should use the =
/3gb and=20
<BR>&gt; /USERVA=3D3030 in the boot.ini.<BR>&gt; I have done this, and =
set the=20
SYSTEMPAGES to 0 in the registry.&nbsp; When this <BR>&gt; is done, =
windows=20
becomes very unstable, freezes and gives me disk1 errors <BR>&gt; during =
paging=20
operations.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; can someone confirm that this does or does =
not work=20
with this setup?<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Thanks. <BR>&gt; =
<BR>&gt;</FONT></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C5DE03.DCFEC740--

0
craigm1 (52)

Outlook 2003 News

Window Redirection?

How Do I Import Stock Quotes to Money2004 Standard?
Does anyone know how to import stock quotes into Money. Some of the ones I am interested in are not supported by MSN for online update. I know I can enter the data manually but I want to be able to update prices for multiple stocks on a regular basis. I have tried ceating a .ofx file for importing and Money reports "Import Completed" with no errors but the price I specified does not appear in the price history. The extract from the .ofx file relating to price I was trying to import is as follows: <SECLISTMSGSRSV1> <SECLIST> <STOCKINFO> <SECINFO> <S...

Outlook 2003 #79

Help Required

Canadian Mergers 2003

Outlook 2003 with XP SP2

Filters in Excel 2003

Windows Server 2008 R2 04-09-10

Outlook 2007 Calendar -> Outlook 2003

PDA-Outlook 2003

Merge code issues with Publisher 2003

Excel 2003

Outllok 2003 reply with wrong account
Howdy - I have Outlook 2003. For some reason my new pc has started doing the same thing as my previous one. I have 5 email accounts. When a person sends me an email to my default account and I reply, it comes from another account. In theory (and it did until the last couple of days) it should come from the account I received the email in.... I change the smtp settings on the accounts as I travel a lot, but other than that I haven't changed anything that I know of to cause this - anyone had the same problem, or better yet - know how to fixt it???!!! Thanks in advance Ron ...

Word 2003: Will it work on Windows 7 Pro

Problems with Money 2006 standard edition
I am unable to switch the budget from Essential to Advanced, I tried the susgestion in the problem solver as found under KB899628 as per below but this did not help. Can anyone help? When you click Use Advanced Budget in Budget Settings in Microsoft Money 2005 or in Microsoft Money 2006, you are taken back to the Essential Budget page instead of to the Advanced Budget page ...