YAPTQ: Mixed data types in custom groups (Excel 2003)

Hello,

I'm trying to get the following accomplished in Excel 2003:
I have a column in a table that keeps track of how late a form was
turned in.  It can have an integer (for the number of days it was late)
or one of several text strings ("On time," "Cannot determine," "Outside
report dates.")

I need to be able to generate the totals for:
On time or within 7 days late,
8-15 days,
More than 15 days
Cannot determine
Outside report dates

It seems like it should be a straightforward procedure, where one can
specify a range of numbers, or a list of values, but I haven't been
able to find a way to get Excel to do this.

0
derevin (4)
11/27/2006 9:34:00 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Derevin

I have assumed your data is in A1:A1000

Set up a table (I've assumed J1:J5) with

<7
<15
>15
Cannot determine
Outside report dates

and set up the following formulas alongside

=COUNTIF($A$1:$A$1000,"<=7")
=SUMPRODUCT(($A$1:$A$1000>7)*($A$1:$A$1000<=15))
=COUNTIF($A$1:$A$1000,">15")
=COUNTIF($A$1:$A$1000,J4)
=COUNTIF($A$1:$A$1000,J5)

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

<derevin@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to get the following accomplished in Excel 2003:
> I have a column in a table that keeps track of how late a form was
> turned in.  It can have an integer (for the number of days it was late)
> or one of several text strings ("On time," "Cannot determine," "Outside
> report dates.")
>
> I need to be able to generate the totals for:
> On time or within 7 days late,
> 8-15 days,
> More than 15 days
> Cannot determine
> Outside report dates
>
> It seems like it should be a straightforward procedure, where one can
> specify a range of numbers, or a list of values, but I haven't been
> able to find a way to get Excel to do this.

Nick,

That's beautiful, especially the clever use of SUMPRODUCT.  Thank you
so much!

Nick Hodge wrote:
> Derevin
>
> I have assumed your data is in A1:A1000
>
> Set up a table (I've assumed J1:J5) with
>
> <7
> <15
> >15
> Cannot determine
> Outside report dates
>
> and set up the following formulas alongside
>
> =COUNTIF($A$1:$A$1000,"<=7")
> =SUMPRODUCT(($A$1:$A$1000>7)*($A$1:$A$1000<=15))
> =COUNTIF($A$1:$A$1000,">15")
> =COUNTIF($A$1:$A$1000,J4)
> =COUNTIF($A$1:$A$1000,J5)
>
> --
> HTH
> Nick Hodge
> Microsoft MVP - Excel
> Southampton, England
> nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.ukANDTHIS
> www.nickhodge.co.uk
>

> <derevin@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm trying to get the following accomplished in Excel 2003:
> > I have a column in a table that keeps track of how late a form was
> > turned in.  It can have an integer (for the number of days it was late)
> > or one of several text strings ("On time," "Cannot determine," "Outside
> > report dates.")
> >
> > I need to be able to generate the totals for:
> > On time or within 7 days late,
> > 8-15 days,
> > More than 15 days
> > Cannot determine
> > Outside report dates
> >
> > It seems like it should be a straightforward procedure, where one can
> > specify a range of numbers, or a list of values, but I haven't been
> > able to find a way to get Excel to do this.

0
derevin (4)

Excel to PDF
When converting Excel workbook to Acrobat some sheets are dropped without giving any error messages. How can I fix this ? I am using windows 95, Office 97 and Adobe Acrobat 4. ...

Converting QuatroPro to Excel
How can convert a quatropro spreadsheet to an excel spreadsheet. Any help? Thanks, Bob Open the file in Quattro Pro and save it in one of the supplied Excel formats. -- Regards Andy Wiggins www.BygSoftware.com Home of "Save and BackUp", "The Excel Auditor" and "Byg Tools for VBA" "Bob" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:36c601c40128$9e26a970$a601280a@phx.gbl... > How can convert a quatropro spreadsheet to an excel > spreadsheet. Any help? > Thanks, > Bob ...

data input in text box

Outlook 2003 and "Check Names"

Excel 2007

Outlook 2003 keeps crashing #2