XL2007: Ribbon commands greyed-out after playing a macro

Hi there,

In XL2007, the ribbon commands are greyed-out after playing a macro, at
least this has happened on my computer time after time (Vista Home Prof
Dutch).

Any thoughts on this?

Greetings,
Peter

0
scotsman (6)
6/7/2007 7:45:13 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Correction:
Already greyed out on opening the file, which occurs as Read-only
automatically. Propably because it is an .xlsm file. For this, refer to my
other question in this group: "XL2007: Read-only automatically applies to
..xlsm files"

"Peter" <scotsman@xs4all.nl> schreef in bericht
> Hi there,
>
> In XL2007, the ribbon commands are greyed-out after playing a macro, at
> least this has happened on my computer time after time (Vista Home Prof
> Dutch).
>
> Any thoughts on this?
>
> Greetings,
> Peter

0
scotsman (6)
6/7/2007 7:51:51 PM
Is it a particular XLSM file or all?

--
Jim
"Peter" <scotsman@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
> Correction:
> Already greyed out on opening the file, which occurs as Read-only
> automatically. Propably because it is an .xlsm file. For this, refer to my
> other question in this group: "XL2007: Read-only automatically applies to
> .xlsm files"
>

> "Peter" <scotsman@xs4all.nl> schreef in bericht
>> Hi there,
>>
>> In XL2007, the ribbon commands are greyed-out after playing a macro, at
>> least this has happened on my computer time after time (Vista Home Prof
>> Dutch).
>>
>> Any thoughts on this?
>>
>> Greetings,
>> Peter

0
jrrech (1933)
6/8/2007 6:47:04 PM
That's a good question, Jim.

To try it out, I saved a new file with a macro as an .xlsm, and it didn't
happen again with that new file. but it keeps happening with the formerly
mentioned file. I guess these kinds of experiences are inherent to important
revisions of such software as xl. I'm anxiously awaiting what might be the
cause or solution to this problem.

Thanks for pointing this out, Jim.

Greetings,
Peter

"Jim Rech" <jrrech@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
> Is it a particular XLSM file or all?
>
> --
> Jim
> "Peter" <scotsman@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
>> Correction:
>> Already greyed out on opening the file, which occurs as Read-only
>> automatically. Propably because it is an .xlsm file. For this, refer to
>> my other question in this group: "XL2007: Read-only automatically applies
>> to .xlsm files"
>>

>> "Peter" <scotsman@xs4all.nl> schreef in bericht
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> In XL2007, the ribbon commands are greyed-out after playing a macro, at
>>> least this has happened on my computer time after time (Vista Home Prof
>>> Dutch).
>>>
>>> Any thoughts on this?
>>>
>>> Greetings,
>>> Peter

0
scotsman (6)
6/8/2007 7:49:31 PM
Since it's just a particular file I think the most likely reason is that the
file has 'ribbon altering' xml code in it.  I'd be happy to check that out
for you if you want to send the file to me.  If there is sensitive
information in the file (and even if there isn't) you can clear all the cell
contents completely so there nothing but blank worksheets in the file.

--
> That's a good question, Jim.
>
> To try it out, I saved a new file with a macro as an .xlsm, and it didn't
> happen again with that new file. but it keeps happening with the formerly
> mentioned file. I guess these kinds of experiences are inherent to
> important revisions of such software as xl. I'm anxiously awaiting what
> might be the cause or solution to this problem.
>
> Thanks for pointing this out, Jim.
>
> Greetings,
> Peter
>

> "Jim Rech" <jrrech@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
>> Is it a particular XLSM file or all?
>>
>> --
>> Jim
>> "Peter" <scotsman@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
>>> Correction:
>>> Already greyed out on opening the file, which occurs as Read-only
>>> automatically. Propably because it is an .xlsm file. For this, refer to
>>> my other question in this group: "XL2007: Read-only automatically
>>> applies to .xlsm files"
>>>

>>> "Peter" <scotsman@xs4all.nl> schreef in bericht

0
jrrech (1933)
6/8/2007 7:58:31 PM
Hi Jim,

Boy, do you respond fast !! Thank you.

I accidentally discovered what went wrong just twenty minutes ago. Propably
a mouse mishap. Instead of signing my macro workbook at a particular point
in time, I seem to have chosen another option of the Prrepare menu item in
the Office menu, i.e. "Mark as final", because when I hovered my mouse
pointer over the greyed-out menu items of the ribbon, that is what the
menu-comment tells me about status of this file.

So, for future (and shorter) reference: choosing "Mark as Final" is
definately a reason for Excel to gey-out all ribbon-
menu-items. It may turn out that there are even more things that could make
this happen. I tried (while writing this response I thought of trying this)
to save the same file with a different name, but that doesn't resolve the
problem.
It seems that copying the data in the file to a new file is one solution,
though it'll cost you some time. But it does seem that Final is Final.

Thank you.

> Since it's just a particular file I think the most likely reason is that
> the file has 'ribbon altering' xml code in it.  I'd be happy to check that
> out for you if you want to send the file to me.  If there is sensitive
> information in the file (and even if there isn't) you can clear all the
> cell contents completely so there nothing but blank worksheets in the
> file.
>
> --
> Jim
> "Peter" <scotsman@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
>> That's a good question, Jim.
>>
>> To try it out, I saved a new file with a macro as an .xlsm, and it didn't
>> happen again with that new file. but it keeps happening with the formerly
>> mentioned file. I guess these kinds of experiences are inherent to
>> important revisions of such software as xl. I'm anxiously awaiting what
>> might be the cause or solution to this problem.
>>
>> Thanks for pointing this out, Jim.
>>
>> Greetings,
>> Peter
>>

>> "Jim Rech" <jrrech@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
>>> Is it a particular XLSM file or all?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Jim
>>> "Peter" <scotsman@xs4all.nl> wrote in message

0
scotsman (6)
6/8/2007 8:47:34 PM
Well, I've seen the "Mark as Final" command but never tried it.  Shame on
me.  Will the wonders of Excel 2007 ever cease?<g> Thanks for the
explanation.

--
> Hi Jim,
>
> Boy, do you respond fast !! Thank you.
>
> I accidentally discovered what went wrong just twenty minutes ago.
> Propably a mouse mishap. Instead of signing my macro workbook at a
> particular point in time, I seem to have chosen another option of the
> Prrepare menu item in the Office menu, i.e. "Mark as final", because when
> I hovered my mouse pointer over the greyed-out menu items of the ribbon,
> that is what the menu-comment tells me about status of this file.
>
> So, for future (and shorter) reference: choosing "Mark as Final" is
> definately a reason for Excel to gey-out all ribbon-
> menu-items. It may turn out that there are even more things that could
> make this happen. I tried (while writing this response I thought of trying
> this) to save the same file with a different name, but that doesn't
> resolve the problem.
> It seems that copying the data in the file to a new file is one solution,
> though it'll cost you some time. But it does seem that Final is Final.
>
> Thank you.
> Peter
>

> "Jim Rech" <jrrech@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
>> Since it's just a particular file I think the most likely reason is that
>> the file has 'ribbon altering' xml code in it.  I'd be happy to check
>> that out for you if you want to send the file to me.  If there is
>> sensitive information in the file (and even if there isn't) you can clear
>> all the cell contents completely so there nothing but blank worksheets in
>> the file.
>>
>> --
>> Jim
>> "Peter" <scotsman@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
>>> That's a good question, Jim.
>>>
>>> To try it out, I saved a new file with a macro as an .xlsm, and it
>>> didn't happen again with that new file. but it keeps happening with the
>>> formerly mentioned file. I guess these kinds of experiences are inherent
>>> to important revisions of such software as xl. I'm anxiously awaiting
>>> what might be the cause or solution to this problem.
>>>
>>> Thanks for pointing this out, Jim.
>>>
>>> Greetings,
>>> Peter
>>>

>>> "Jim Rech" <jrrech@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht

0
jrrech (1933)
6/8/2007 10:00:51 PM
To undo this "Final"-thing, just do it again, and the file is back to a
modifiable mode.

> Well, I've seen the "Mark as Final" command but never tried it.  Shame on
> me.  Will the wonders of Excel 2007 ever cease?<g> Thanks for the
> explanation.
>
> --
> Jim
> "Peter" <scotsman@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
>> Hi Jim,
>>
>> Boy, do you respond fast !! Thank you.
>>
>> I accidentally discovered what went wrong just twenty minutes ago.
>> Propably a mouse mishap. Instead of signing my macro workbook at a
>> particular point in time, I seem to have chosen another option of the
>> Prrepare menu item in the Office menu, i.e. "Mark as final", because when
>> I hovered my mouse pointer over the greyed-out menu items of the ribbon,
>> that is what the menu-comment tells me about status of this file.
>>
>> So, for future (and shorter) reference: choosing "Mark as Final" is
>> definately a reason for Excel to gey-out all ribbon-
>> menu-items. It may turn out that there are even more things that could
>> make this happen. I tried (while writing this response I thought of
>> trying this) to save the same file with a different name, but that
>> doesn't resolve the problem.
>> It seems that copying the data in the file to a new file is one solution,
>> though it'll cost you some time. But it does seem that Final is Final.
>>
>> Thank you.
>> Peter
>>

>> "Jim Rech" <jrrech@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
>>> Since it's just a particular file I think the most likely reason is that
>>> the file has 'ribbon altering' xml code in it.  I'd be happy to check
>>> that out for you if you want to send the file to me.  If there is
>>> sensitive information in the file (and even if there isn't) you can
>>> clear all the cell contents completely so there nothing but blank
>>> worksheets in the file.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Jim
>>> "Peter" <scotsman@xs4all.nl> wrote in message

0
scotsman (6)

Mailto Command
Does anyone know how to autosend using the mailto command? Also having trouble using the mailto command with the old exchange email client, any ideas? In what context are you trying to use the mailto command? If as a link note that mailto is not an autosend feature but merely a way to fill in the To address and/or subject. -- Roady [MVP] www.sparnaaij.net Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office related News Also Outlook FAQ, How To's, Downloads and more... Tip of the month: -Tips for cleaning up your mailbox Subscribe to the newsletter to receive news and tips & tricks in your mail...

Reg:Trying to write a macro in excel
Hi all, There are 3 sheets in a single xl file: Sheet 1: It contains the template to be populated with the information from the other sheets It contains only selected columns from sheet 2 and sheet 3 whose values need to be populated in sheet 1. PART 1: Sheet 3: contains 3rd column as "subproject id": and has different columns containing the subproject details Aim of code: 1. extract all the subproject ids into sheet1:from sheet 3 in the defined range of cells in sheet1 under the s...

Macro and Subtotals in one column problem
Anybody could help me out with this: I am adding up numbers in one column that are seperated by a blank cell. I would like to set up a macro that would add up numbers that are above the active cell; the macros should not add up the entire column though, only numbers above the current cell up to an empty cell. I tried to set up a macro myself but it would record the exact current position of my active cell, whereas I need the active cell to change from one sum to another. As example, in a column I would have: 1 2 3 Sum1 <empty cell> 4 5 6 Sum2 <empty cell> 7 8 etc. Can somebody a...

VBA Macro #4
Hello, I have the following workbook with column A and B: A B 199 100.00 200 50.00 201 100.00 201 200.00 199 60.00 I need help designing a VBA macro that would: 1 - Create a new worksheet in the workbook and extract column A & B for all the "199" in that new worksheet 2 - Insert "1" in column "C" if the value in a row in column "A" is different than the value above that row. Thanks, 2 - You can record a macro as you do the steps manually. Insert a new sheet Use an Adva...

Macro question??
I have inherited an Access db with the following code in a form. This code references a macro. However, this db does not list any macros anywhere. Can someone please explain this? Thank you. Option Compare Database Private Sub Command1_Click() On Error GoTo Err_Command1_Click Dim stDocName As String stDocName = "DoSomething" DoCmd.RunMacro stDocName Exit_Command1_Click: Exit Sub Err_Command1_Click: MsgBox "This information already in db." Resume Exit_Command1_Click End Sub "TotallyConfused" <Tota...

Command Button
I'd like to create a COMMAND BUTTON that would delete any unused rows in an order form I've created. The Excel sheet is locked/protected, so end-users cannot edit or delete any content. I'd like them to be able to select the COMMAND BUTTON to remove any unused rows to make printing and viewing easier. Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks! Define unused. Unused could mean that there are formulas in the cells returning blank characters. It could mean blank rows/columns sandwiched in the middle fo the sheet. It could be that the used range is larger than the size of the data f...

command button in excel will move when print.
I have some command button and list box in my excel worksheet. When i print his worksheet, some of the button at right sides will move to left sides. Why? ...

Why is the sort command in excel 2003 shaded out?
suddenly Excel stopped letting me sort rows. No matter what I try, I cannot get the sort command and icon to be usable. Is the worksheet protected? "jico" <jico@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:50391B74-4CC0-4410-9693-7DC3ED145C6A@microsoft.com... > suddenly Excel stopped letting me sort rows. No matter what I try, I cannot > get the sort command and icon to be usable. I don't know about "protecting" a worksheet. I did notice that "[Group]" appeared after the filename at the top of the window. I've been using the Micr...

Macro or IF statement
Hi - I've got a stack of customer data that's been extracted from a database in CSV format and then opened in Excel All's well apart from some of the accounts I dont need - these are one's that have no deatils in the "Bank" "Sort Code" "Account" columns. My question is how do I go about getting Excel to look at the blanks and automatically Delete them? So far my little knowledge allowed me to make the following if statement but it only tells me to physically "DELETE" non-bank customers... I want to know how I get to tell Excel ...

Repeat a command in a Macro
I have a macro that simply looks like this: Sheets("Template").Select ActiveSheet.Unprotect ActiveSheet.Next.Select ActiveSheet.Unprotect ActiveSheet.Next.Select ActiveSheet.Unprotect etc................ I have 72 sheets, and don't want to keep having to go in and paste in more lines everytime I add a new sheet. Is there someway to tell it to repeat the Select & Unprotect lines x number of times, which would give a MUCH shorter code! Or, maybe there is a way to tell it to keep repeating that until it gets to the last sheet in the workbook ??? Phil ...

Edit a group of cells with a macro
I have imported data from another program which combines numeric and alpha characters into a single cell. I need to split the numeric data into one column and the alpha characters into an adjacent column. I copied the imported column into the adjacent column, then went to first column and created a macro which deletes the first 7 characters (the numeric values). When I run the macro on other cells it takes the information from the very first cell and keeps repeating it. What am I doing wrong? Hi! Can you post a few examples of the data you want to separate? Al -- Message posted from h...

News command missing
News has disappeared from Go menu on Outlook 2003 , and from the Tool---> Customize command list To get the News command back, go back to the Programs tab in Control Panel | Internet Options and change the default newsreader to Outlook Express. If OE prompts you to make it your default newsreader the next time you launch it, clear the "Always perform this check..." box and then click the No button. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "mtboston" <mtboston@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:35C74BA7-8A24-4AE0-88E9-AB64C03AA0CE@microsoft.com... > New...

Making A Macro Generally Available
I've written a macro (I'll call it Macro1) that multiple people will need to use. From Macro1, (that exists in my PERSONAL.XLS), I created an add-in on a common drive location and copied the code to Macro1.xla, thus creating Macro1.xla as an add-in. As a test, I created a custom button in my Excel and associated it with the drive location and name of Macro1.xla but it gets an error when I try to run it. I guess I'm confused with the overall process of what I need to do to enable different users to run my macro without needing to have their own copy. And beyond that question, ho...

Any Command to remove spaces
Hello All, Is there a command to remove all the spaces in the cell ( prefix, suffix and in between ) basically all spaces in the cell . Thanks in advance. SD Select the range (at least two cells) and Edit|replace what: (space character) with: (leave blank) replace all SD wrote: > > Hello All, > > Is there a command to remove all the spaces in the cell ( prefix, > suffix and in between ) basically all spaces in the cell . > > Thanks in advance. > SD -- Dave Peterson You can use Find & Replace (CTRL-H). Highlight the cells, CTRL-H, then: Find what: ...

Execute macro at pre-set time
Does anybody know how to make an Excel macro/VBA procedure execute automatically at pre-set time (for instance, at mid night)? Jean, You can use the OnTime method of the Application object to do this. See www.cpearson.com/excel/ontime.htm for more details. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Jean" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1276d01c3f63d$8d8d6e00$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Does anybody know how to make an Excel macro/VBA procedure > execute automatically at pre-set time (fo...

PowerPoint 2007 not playing sound files
Hi please can you help. When I link sound files to PowerPoint 2007 it shows them as being there but they do not play unless I embed them. I have tried everything, the only way I can get it to work is to package as CD and start from there, this seems to defeat the object. Please can anyone help before I pull all my hair out. Regards Steve Try putting the files into the same folder as you presentation and reinserting them to see if that makes a difference. I'm assuming .WAV files as they are the only sound files that are embedded. -- Michael Koerner MS MVP - Power...

Dynamic macro's #4
Thank you so much! I was sure there must be a way to do this dinamically, what's the us of programming otherwise?! Still, it seems pretty unclear to me, since I don't have that muc experience with VBA. According to the 'help', first I need to declare a Private Sub something like this: Private Sub Workbook_SheetSelectionChange(ByVal Sh As Object, _ ByVal Target As Excel.Range) Dim appWD As Word.Application End Sub Now, if my understanding us good, this should remind the selected ro number, and put it into Target My question is: how do I transfer that value into my macro?...

Display message and timer during long macro calculations
Is there a relatively simple way to display a dialog box with a message and timer when a macro is running? Rob Relatively simple is a loaded phrase :) See my post at http://www.mrexcel.com/board2/viewtopic.php?p=88129# 88129 for some options. -- Regards, Tushar Mehta, MS MVP -- Excel www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity solutions In article <#DR7kM1zDHA.2000@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>, robnobel@dodo.com.au says... > Is there a relatively simple way to display a dialog box with a message and > timer when a macro is runn...

Excel 2007 macro text
In Excel 2003 you get the option of showing a macro as an icon and or adding text in the command bar. Canthis be done ins EXCEL 2007? How? Thanks You can do it the same in Excel 2007, using commandbar controls, but it will always add to the Add-Ins tab, Custom Toolbars group. -- --- HTH Bob (there's no email, no snail mail, but somewhere should be gmail in my addy) "pcor" <pcor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E86D1765-E5FA-44B4-908F-AF5007039BF3@microsoft.com... > In Excel 2003 you get the option of showing a macro as an icon and or > a...

Chart Doesn't Appear when Excel started from Command Line
I have a Excel Workbook which creates a chart from a text file when the Workbook is opened by using a Macro. This works fine, however, when I use a Command from the Windows Command LIne to open the workbook the Chart doesn't appear. This only happens with Excel 2002. If I use Excel 97 or 2000 everything works fine. Does anyone know of a solution to this problem??? ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ~~Now Available: Financial Statements.xls, a step...

excel macro inconsistency
I recorded a macro which selects a column and then replaces all instances of "-" with "". I cut and pasted the recorded code into a larger macro. If I run the macro it does not execute the replacement, but does not generate any errors. If I step through the macro via the debugger the replace executes properly. Anyone know what is going on? Some kind of timing issue? Hi post your used code -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "JM" <mcfarland@locumtenens.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:19ee01c4dd6b$244c0ee0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I recorded a ...

Acc2003 SP3 + CU Crash when working with Macro
I found an earlier post on this topic but was unable to reply to it directly so I am starting a new thread. I have just found that with my current installation of Acc 2003 SP3 + Hot Fixes I can no longer work with Macros without having Access crash. I can duplicate the error across several computers each having the same installation. The steps are simply to create a new macro and attempt to save at which time access crashes. Now this is not a huge deal as I don't use a lot of Macros but it is a pain for the few things I use macros for. Seeing that this issue has been posted ...

Excel macro
I'm trying to create a macro for a table where I want macro to prompt in cell A1 and after entering a number and pressing 'enter' I want cursor to move to cell B1 and prompt for another entry, and after entering and pressing 'enter' cursor should go to cell C1 and prompt . After entering and pressing 'enter' I want cursor to go to cell A2 and repeat as above steps. I tried all different ways but don't know how to have macro prompt? Any hints or help will be apprecieted. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTi...

Macro cases for accounting/banking/financing
Hi, I started learning Macro several weeks ago. But I am very confused while reading the book that I have. I am just wondering how I would be able to use these features. Would you please show me some of the cases that you would use Macro in accounting/banking/financing field. Thanks You'll do better at exam time if you do the research yourself. Search in Google, using keywords like accounting, Excel, macro, and you should find lots of examples. Jon wrote: > Hi, > > I started learning Macro several weeks ago. But I am very confused while > reading the book that I have. ...

playing cards
I loaded a .exe that contains playing card's bitmaps with LoadLibrary. And then CBitmap bitmap; if(!bitmap.LoadBitmap(1)) { MessageBox("Bitmap load error!.."); } if(m_imageList.Add(&bitmap, RGB(255, 255, 255)) == -1) { MessageBox("Error in bitmap"); } I made . It draw playing card whose color is red but it draw oly black rectangle if playing card's color is black . What should i do? Please help me. ...