Writing programs for the manipulation of data cells?

I'm new to Excel and I think I can do this with macros. In that case, where
can I find a list of Excel functions?

0
Scott
3/18/2008 10:38:00 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

On 18 Mar, 10:38, "Scott H" <nospam> wrote:
> I'm new to Excel and I think I can do this with macros. In that case, where
> can I find a list of Excel functions?

Have you tried the help?

I would also highly recommend Chip Pearson's site:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/MainPage.aspx

The great thing about Excel is there are so many high quality advice
sites that are easily found.

"not count" certain cells in a SUM function
Hi, I have a spreadsheet (attached) that our users use to input numbers such as those in cells BR14:BR19). As you can see, a subtotal is displayed in BR22. Is there a way to do a sum in cell BR41 without manually subtractin out BR22? For example, could I "Not count" BR22 if it were RED or BOLD? I am open to other options. Cell CW41 is particularly onerous as I must subtract out 2 cells. Thx much. lindas Attachment filename: training schedule by programs-short.xls Download attachment: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=65760 -- Message posted from http://www.E...

copying workbooks with charts and changing data
As I've got to process several data of same kind, I create several copies of one workbook (1) that contains several charts When I use a copy of workbook 1 (2) with new values, the charts always refers to data in (1)...how can I do to use the values of (2)....?? How are you copying the original chart? If the chart is in the same workbook as the data, you should have no problem if you do Save As with the entire workbook, or if you make a copy of the file in Windows Explorer. When you start copying charts separately from copying their data, the charts always point to the data you don&#...

Pivot Table result isn't displaying all the data that it should
I have a pivot table that I use to list invoices paid on a certain date. I fill in this field in the spreadsheet, refresh the pivot table and select the date I want from the dropdown list but it doesn't always list all the invoices. Then I'll refresh it again and it displays an extra invoice or two but not all the ones it should. I've verified that I entered all the info correctly and try to refresh multiple times but it doesn't display all the data. If I delete the pivot table and recreate it then it finds all the invoices. Later, it happens again. Has this happen...

I cannot select nonadjacent cells in Excell Office XP SP2
I cannot select nonadjacent cells in Excell Office XP-SP2 using the ctrl key. It worked yesterday, today it does not. R, Look for "EXT" in the right side of the status bar. Toggle it back off with F8. THat's how it got turned on, most likely. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "rjohnson97127" <rjohnson97127@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:025A50A2-A3FE-43B2-ACFD-AE695B7BA113@microsoft.com... >I cannot select nonadjacent cells in Excell Office XP-SP2 using the ctrl ...

Data entry form opens up as blank page Access 2007
Hi - I am so eager to get feedback on this. I have a simple little data entry form (Detail) that appears as a button on a switchboard form (Manager). The only other choices on the switchboard are Exit and Review Records Entered (runs a macro that runs a query that displays only the records entered so far by that staff person). I set the database so that it opens default to the switchboard. I split it then and copied the front end individually for each user. All records are going into a "back end" with 4 tables, one containing the records they are entering and the other 3 prov...

Text not displayed in cells.
System: Microsoft Office 2000 SR3 with all Patches installed. We have a problem with many of any Excel Spreadsheets where some cells that have a sizeable amount of text are not displaying all the text, it just cuts off towards the end. If you edit the text it is all there, but when you enter it, it just disappears again. This problems occurs on our spreadsheets where the information is entered manually, and also on spreadsheets where the data is imported from a SQL database. My research on this problem has come up with nothing, and my users are getting impatient as when they print ...

Show the Worksheet Tab Name in a Cell
Is there a function that allows the worksheet name to be shown in a cell. For example, say the worksheet name is "Totals", is it possible to have this display in one of the cells without having to type it in. This formula should work once the file has been saved -- =MID(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("]",CELL("filename",A1))+1,255) Rgds, Andy ...

Grouping data query
Hi, I've got grouped sql sitting in an excel sheet as follows: Cat Supplier Amount A A 1 A B 12 A D 7 B B 23 B C 9 B E 30 I'm trying to create grouped bars on Category, with bars in the groups representing the amounts per supplier. I've tried getting the Chart wizard to do this to no avail, as each line becomes a bar Excel 2003. What am I missing? Thanks, Alex Hi Alex, You want to look into PivotTables and PivotCharts for grouping. Microsoft.com and the internet have lots of info ...

Data Label Frequency
Hello, I have a data series with many data points (100s or 1000s) in a scatter plot. I would like to plot data points with data labels, but if I plot all data labels it just looks like a big thick smear of a line. Is there a way to select data label frequency plotted so that I the plot skips some of the data? Thanks, Pete. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open th...

Can Cell X modify Cell Y?
Example: If cell A1 equals 1, then cell B1 should have the value 5, otherwise B1 should be 6. A condition in cell A1 is changing the value of cell B1... is that possible? Yes, of course. B1 contains this formula: =IF(A1=1,5,6) On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 12:03:02 -0800, "alMandragor" <alMandragor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Example: > >If cell A1 equals 1, then cell B1 should have the value 5, otherwise B1 >should be 6. > >A condition in cell A1 is changing the value of cell B1... is that possible? ...

Repeating text in Cells
Can anyone help me with this weird problem. I am running Excel XP with XP prof. I've got a spreadsheet I've been using for years, and just done some rather drastic cut and paste to it. However when I enter text which is roughly less than half the cell width, the text is repeated to fill the remaining space in the cell. It is on both the display and printout. Anyone know what's happened? george.humphriesNOSPAM@btinternet.com Check the cell formatting. The horizontal alignment is probably set to "Fill". -- Vasant "George Humphries" <george.humphri...

Want to blank some cells when an AutoFilter is active.
I have a budget table that has a Allocated budget amount, Expenses and a remaining balance: Allocated Expenses Remaining Budget Subtotal Balance ----------------------------------------- $500.00 $300.00 $200.00 The Expense Subtotal is a sum of column of values below this header say H30:H100. The Subtotal is of the rows that are visible so say there are two values, $100.00 and $200.00 and $100.00 is hidden by an autofilter. Then Subtotal will become $200.00. If an auto filter is active I want to blank the Remaining Balance field. I have a ...

Converting QIF data
I notice there is an Excel macro that converts flat data into the QIF format, suitable for importing into Money. The macro is at http://www.respmech.com/mym2qifw/UtilityIndex.htm , and is called wm1248.exe Is there any tool/utility that will read a Money QIF file (money 95 version), and convert the QIF data to a 'flat' file. There's MoneyLink that will read all transactions for a specific account or all accounts directly into Excel. There are a hoard of Excel and QIF tools. See http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=9 for links to some of them. "Peter" <someone@my-dej...

find all combinations of cells that add up to certain number
Hi there, I work in accounting and we're trying to tie numbers very often. I would like to know of a possible function or code that can output all possible combinations of cells in a column in an Excel Worksheet that add up to a certain number I enter in the adjacent column. This will help me narrow down to the possible combinations of numbers that add up to the number I am researching. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks, AD! Please do not post to more than one group in separate posts. Your post has been answered in another group -- Kind regards, Niek Otten "...

How do write a fraction 13 over 23.
I am trying to insert a fraction 13 over 23 in a word document. Here are two ways (and there may be more): 1. 13/23 ... just like that, which works for me; and 2. 13/23 and make the 13 a superscript and the 23 a subscript. Daddy "ykeith" <ykeith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message = news:B230A8AD-9F53-44A4-BF5C-97DE9C99C330@microsoft.com... >I am trying to insert a fraction 13 over 23 in a word document. See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/CreateFraction.htm -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama U...

Time "and" Date for data points
I have date and time in my first column for my x axis, but I can't get both date and time to display in the chart. My data spans two weeks and now displays as I want it, but the data is useless without showing the relevant date/time for the data points (across the bottom of the chart). Is there a work around for this. I've tried different date/time cell formats which will display as I want it in the cell, but can't get the same display in the chart. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Thanks for any help. Diana Cowtoon wrote: > I have date and time in my...

Access to MS CRM data by non-licensed users
What is the best way for a non-licensed user to access MS CRM data? Has anyone from Microsoft ever stated that you can access the MS CRM SQL database directly with a SELECT statement and not break the licence agreement? Can anyone copy the MS CRM data into another database and access that data without a license? Can anyone use the MS CRM filtered views to either access the MS CRM database directly or to make copies of the data? Has anyone written an MS CRM add-on application that pass the certification test which directly reads MS CRM data? If the MS CRM license is only for the software, ...

Macro to add value if cell has a color :-s
I don't know if this exists, but is it possible to check if a certain cell has a color? Normally a cell is blank, but someone asked me to see if it is possible to check if a cell is colored.. Any suggestions? Thanks!!! Is this sufficient? Sub ifcolor() If Range("b2").Interior.ColorIndex > 0 Then MsgBox "yep" End Sub -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com <test@testnospam.nl> wrote in message news:obht5456aq6ur5gbqmasacqke9p2g13o7i@4ax.com... >I don't know if this exists, but is it possible to check if a cer...

Unbind Charts From Data?
I've got an Excel book with two tabs - one tab with a bunch of data and one tab with 6 charts based on that data. I want to export the tab with the charts into a new Excel book, but I basically want the charts to be "snapshots" - not dependant on the source data. Is there any way to do this? -- Hmm...they have the Internet on COMPUTERS now! Jon Peltier has instructions for delinking chart data: http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/DelinkChartData.html MDW wrote: > I've got an Excel book with two tabs - one tab with a bunch of data and one > tab wit...

regarding read/write access issues
Hi all, Let me first expalin the scenario in Unix Environment: lets say there are 2 programmers( A & B). "A" opens a excel document xyz.xls and types some data and saves it but forgets to close excel document at the end of the day. Mean while "B" is online later that evening and trying to write something on xyz.xls but when he/she opens the excel sheet its read only( since A opened xyz.xls). Is there any way B can kill the document on "A"'s machine so he/she can gain write access. I am thinking there should be a way in unix to solve this.. Thanks alot,...

Click on graph bar to execute a double-click in a pivot table cell
Excel 2002. I have a group of 6 different stacked bar charts built from parts of a pivot table. Each graph has several bars with each bar having sections for categories "10", "20", "30", "40", and "50". The graphs can be direct linked to the pivot table (as a pivot chart) or linked to an intermediate sheet looksup the data from the pivot table. I want to be able to click (double or single click) on a graph bar or section of a bar and execute the same action (.ShowDetail) that occurs when you double-click on a cell in the pivot table (print th...

Help Programming an XY scatter Chart
I have a user form that inputs data onto a spreadsheet. I have a command button that runs a macro that activates the sheet, selects the data, and creates the XY Scatter chart. My Problem is that I don't know how to set a loop to set each series' properties . (The number of series changes every time) Bellow is an example where I manually set the properties for three of the series. Any Ideas on how to create a loop to set all. Range("A:A,C:C,D:D").Select Range("D1").Activate Charts.Add ActiveChart.ChartType = xlXYScatter ActiveChart.SetSourceData Sour...

How to remove validation on entering
When i select a cell in Excel Sheet and enter - (dash/minus) sign.After clicking on sheet it will convert the previous cell into a formula (since it takes - as formula for any format selected), indicating cells index. How i validate a cell not to perform the above feature. On pressing tab or enter key will solve the probs for text format but how i validate it for the same i.e. on what event? :confused: -- shiprasharma ------------------------------------------------------------------------ shiprasharma's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27651 Vie...

Moving outlook data to a new computer
Hi, just bought a new computer adn need to figure out how to move my Outlook datat files from the old computer to the new one in the effortless manner. First of all I need to know what the data files aer called, i.e. what there extensions are and where they are located. Also are there more than one data file is tthere just one big one? Im am thinking I can find the one file and just move it to the new computer and that will be that. is that accurate thiniing. Alsom, there is the export/import option..is that a better way to do this. Help!!! brian Look at the following two art...

Count of text in cells
I have problem to solve,I have a column with office. The text in the Office cells with be, Office 1@810@NT but I now have a new columm with text in the following format:Test The Cell - Employment cells can contain mutiple values, Test The Cell - Education;Test The Cell - Employment;Test The Cell - Health . These values are separated by a ; NOt only do I need to count each occurance, but I then need to have a count of each one. I can have these values referred to in a cell if that makes it easier. Sorry if I have not been clear Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Ch...