Wrapping text in a cell

In a single cell, suppose I want text to appear on two lines. Viz:

Case One

Case Two

How do I do that so that I specify the wrap point?

Thanks!

0
achalk1 (41)
10/15/2005 12:38:11 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

If you are typing the data into the cell use Alt-Enter between each
string to indicate where you want a line break to occur.

Case One<Alt-Enter>Case Two

0
JohnGoogle (17)
10/15/2005 1:10:27 AM
Alt + Enter

--
Lilliabeth
Lilliabeth's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27741

If you are setting the contents of the cell via a formula or VBA code
make sure that you have changed the formatting for the cell also. Check
that the <right mouse click> Format Cells / Alignment Tab / Wrap Text
check box is selected.

For example, I created a formula for a cell:

="1st line"&CHAR(10)&"2nd line"

This appeared as "1st line2nd line" on a single line in the cell
initially. Once I changed the cell formatting (as above), the cell
appeared as two lines with the 'split' as required.

0
JohnGoogle (17)
10/15/2005 1:29:24 AM
That does it!

Thanks!

<JohnGoogle@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
> If you are typing the data into the cell use Alt-Enter between each
> string to indicate where you want a line break to occur.
>
> Case One<Alt-Enter>Case Two

0
achalk1 (41)

how do you supress the "Number stored as text" error message
Is there a way to supress the feature that displays a green triangle in the upper left corner of a cell when you store numbers as text? I frequently WANT to store numbers as text, and I'd like to make those triangles disappear. Thanks in advance, Paul Hi, go to Menu, Options, error checking tab, uncheck "number stored as text". jeff >-----Original Message----- >Is there a way to supress the feature that displays a green triangle in the >upper left corner of a cell when you store numbers as text? I frequently >WANT to store numbers as text, and I'd like...

Excel wants to create a page break in every cell!
After saving revisions in an Excel worksheet, I get a popup message that states "Margins do not fit page size". After clicking "ok" (because this is my only choice) a page break is automatically created in ever cell. At times(depending on the sizeof the work sheet) it can be over 100 pages with a page size 14% or smaller. Why does this happen, and how can I avoid it? I saw this suggestion in a different forum. Try closing excel. Clean up your windows temp folder Windows start button|Run type: %temp% and hit enter Clean all those files that you ca...

Huge Spaces between Text Boxes
Can someone tell me how I can get rid of the huge spaces between text boxes? Have a look at http://www.jocknroll.co.uk/index_files/Charts.htm to see what I mean? It looks fine on Publisher but when I put in on to the Web there's these big gaps. Any advice would be gratefully appreciated. Cheers Paul ...

Overlapping text when entering Category name
Hi, I have a new Outlook 2007 with Business Contact Manager. (I don't use the BCM portion of the product.) When I attempt to add a new category, the text I enter completely overlaps, making it impossible to read what I typed. If I hit OK to add the category, it comes out correctly in the end. Now, this jumbled disease seems to be passing into other standard Outlook contact forms, usually where a pop-up window appears. Any suggestions as to what could be causing this and how to fix it? Thanks. "spaincell" <spaincell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote i...

how do I make the cell expand to fit my text as I type?
I merged some cells across the width of a spreadsheet and i can't get the cell to increase it's height as more text is typed in wraps around. Only way I know, is to move your cursor to between the row number of therow you want to adjust and the next row. The cursor changes shape into an up/down arrow. Click and drag till you see all. Double clicking will also not work "pnwwoman" wrote: > I merged some cells across the width of a spreadsheet and i can't get the > cell to increase it's height as more text is typed in wraps around. If cells are merged. ...

How do I copy a cell from one worksheet to another worksheet
Hi On sheet2 =Sheet1!A1 Regards Roger Govier skywriter wrote: ...

Deleting cells within a row
I am not exactly sure what has happened. I have a worksheet with a number of rows and function within the rows. I would like to delete part of a row F6:M6, and shift things up. Normally this is never a problem, however when I right-click and select Delete I only get the option to delete the entire row or column. Any idea what may have happened? Thanks, Pablo Select the actual headers and not just the data (i.e., select the columns H thru F and then right click and select Delete. HTH and makes sense. ...

Find Average of cells having formulas
How would I calculate the average of a series of cells having a formula where the result is >0? i.e. ((G5-E5) + (S5-Q5))/ Total events Or do I have to calculate the end result to a new cell prior to finding the average? Thanks for your help I am not fully understood your question, I supposed that the total event = number of row in the series =sum(if((g5:g20-e5:e20)+(s5:s20-q5:q20)>0,(g5:g20-e5:e20)+(s5:s20-q5:q20)))/count(s5:s20) this is an array formula, not need to type { } in your formula, press crtl+shift+Enter "Dale" <dale@nospam.com> ���g��l��s�D:%23fZPLP...

Split cells VBA
Hi everyone, I've been using the following (kindly supplied by Rick Rothstein) to split address items. Sub SplitCells() Dim X As Long Dim Z As Long Dim LastRow As Long Dim Sections() As String With Worksheets("Sheet1") LastRow = .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row For X = 2 To LastRow Sections = Split(.Cells(X, "A").Value, "/") For Z = 0 To UBound(Sections) ..Cells(X, Z + 2).Value = Sections(Z) Next Next End With End Sub I now have lots of single sheet wkbks which have named sheets. I've tried taking t...

Hiding Cells
How do you hide cells without having to hide the entire column or rows? Hi McNiwram! You can hide the contents by formatting the font the same color as the background. You can hide formulas in the formula bar by using: Format > Cells > Protection Place check against "Hidden" OK Note that this doesn't come into effect until the worksheet is protected using the Tools menu. -- -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax and Arguments) available free to good homes. "McNiwram&...

default cell format
Is there a way to change the default cell format? Most of the people I talked to prefer top/left justified and are constantly changing to this from the default. Hi Chris, One way would be to create templates book.xlt for new workbooks sheet.xlt for sheets added to exisiting workbooks Templates, book.xlt, sheet.xlt, and beyond http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/template.htm --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm Search Page: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/search.htm ...

Force Hyperlinked cell to appear at top corner and sort problem
I have created a workbook with a main page where I have hyperlinks to many work sheets within the same workbook. Some hyperlinks goes to same worksheet to different cells. Problem is in such worksheets When I click on the first hyperlink the control (focus) goes to the top left corner, but when I click on 2nd or 3rd Hyperlink for the same worksheet, the control is going to a cell displayed at the bottom left corner instead of top left corner. Is there any way I can force the hyperlinked cell to be displayed at top left corner always When I sort the main sheet columns, I loose the Hyperlinks ...

Convert all messages to plain text
Dumb question....is it possible to convert all incoming messages from the Internet to plain text? I'm getting a lot of HTML emails and I'd like to convert them all to plain text. I'm running Win2K, Exchange 2K3 SP1. Thanks On Thu, 4 May 2006 07:39:02 -0700, Jonathan <Jonathan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Dumb question....is it possible to convert all incoming messages from the >Internet to plain text? > >I'm getting a lot of HTML emails and I'd like to convert them all to plain >text. > >I'm running Win2K, Exchange 2K3 S...

Setting Hard Hyperlink in cell
How can I set the hard hyperlink in a cell or change it? I can do it mannually though Insert Hyperlink, but how can I do it via programming function? Thank you in advance for anything. Mike Hi Mike, If you want a hyperlink you can change you might want to consider using the HYPERLINK Worksheet Function. As far as changing the Inserted Hyperlink such as changing the prefix to another prefix: http://google.com/groups?as_umsgid=e6%23fCptFCHA.2280@tkmsftngp12 Other things you might want to do with Hyperlinks can be seen in http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/bujildtoc.htm --- HTH, Dav...

Test cells for values if date matches
I have the following formula: =IF($AT$122:$BX$122=K$4,(IF(OR($AT$147:$BX$166="R"),"R",IF(OR($AT$147:$BX$166="Y"),"Y","G"))),"G") AT122 to BX122 contains a date (not all dates for a month are present) K4 contains the date I need to report on AT147 to BX166 contain the processing status by site for each date. I am trying to get the cell I am reporting in to display an "R" if any of the cells in the column that corresponds to the date that matches K4 contains an "R", if there is no "R", then I w...

compare two cells with non-numeric data
I need to compare two cells (A1 vs B1) that contain letter grades (that is, A, A-, B+, B, B-, etc.) I need to show if one cell (B1) has a higher grade than the cell to which it is being compared to (A1), is the same or has a lower grade. If this were the comparison of number data, then no problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks One thing you could do is to allocate a nominal value to each grade. For example, set up a column somewhere, eg in X1:X10 like this: A A- B+ B B- C+ C C- D E I don't know what grades you are actually using, but I'm sure you can see the idea of list...

PowerPoint text box linked to Excel spreadsheet range
I have a PowerPoint Presentation with 186 slides. I would like to create a text box in each slide that is linked to an Excel spreadsheet range B2:B105. I would like each text box in each slide to display a random row in range B2:B105 from the excel spreadsheet each time the slide is displayed in the slide show. Is this possible? Can you tell me how to do it? ...

Count cells
Why is that my answer to my formula will not update? It was working fine at first not it do not. I want to count text in each cell (eg. A5-A9). The formula I use is =COUNTA(A5:A9). My answer will be 5. When I delete a row the answer do not update. Why? Press F9 to do a manual recalculation. Did that work? Then you worksheet is set to manual recal Open Options (what version of Excel are you using?) and reset to Automatic. best wishes -- Bernard Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme "Danni" <Danni@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messa...

Linking Cells Between Sheets
This very straight forward function no longer works for me. When I enter "=" the cell reference cell changes to "ACOSH" as opposed to "VLOOKUP" on other computers. This will not eference cells on other worksheets within the same spreadsheet and even worse, changes seamingly random cell values in existing spreadsheets, often creating circular references. Nobody seems able to help and a the moment I am considering re-installing office! ACOSH is one of the Trigonometric Functions Simply typing an "=" sign in a cell should not invoke VLOOKUP or any ...

Imbedding Cell into a Label
Hello. Does anyone know if (or how) it is possible to imbed a cell reference into a label. For example: A1: = 20% A10: = "You own (a1) of the fund" Result in A10: "You own 20% of the fund" I would greatly appreciate anyone's assistance. Thank you. In A10: =CONCATENATE("You own ",A1," of the fund") -- Regards, Dave "Raymond Gallegos" wrote: > Hello. Does anyone know if (or how) it is possible to imbed a cell > reference into a label. For example: > A1: = 20% > A10: = "You own (a1) of the fund" > &...

pasting linked excel cell and maintaining formatting no matter wha
I am linked pasting a data cell from Excel into Word. I am using the paste special, paste link: unformatted text I make adjustments to the font and font size in Word. I goto Excel, and I modify the text in the cell and go back to Word and it changes. How can I get the formatting to stay the same, no matter what? In Word, make sure to modify the *paragraph style* applied to text. That way you would prevent any unexpected changes when the OLE link is updated. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "JEB" wrote: > I am linked pasting a data cell from Exce...

Blank cells not to compute
I have cells that say if value is equal a certain points will be given if a tie 2 points are given by comparing the score in 2 cells. the problem the games have not been played and is already showing a tie so everybody is gotten their 2 points for the tie and 5 point for getting the score correct blank = blank. How do i do so the cell when they are blank do not compute =IF(COUNT(A$1:B$1)<>2,0,IF(AND(A2=A$1,B2=B$1),5,0)+IF(A2=B2,2,0)) -- David Biddulph "victorio" <victorio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A5EA003B-2329-457D-9A9D-9ACC7...

center text on page
I need to do something simple: have text appear in the center of the page (vertically) for one page in the document. Word's help has been remarkably unhelpful. The directions are: Click the object that you want to align. On the View menu, click Formatting Palette. Under Size, Rotation, and Ordering, click Align , click Align to Page. Click Align again, and then click the alignment that you want. However, (1) Under Formatting Palette, there is no heading "Size, Rotation, and Ordering" and (2) Under "Alignment and Spacing", I can choose horizontal, line spacing, or...

Leaving a total sum cell blank until other cells are filled
Hi there, some help needed please for probably a simple problem. Lets say I have a value in cell A1. A2 is blank for now and the total of the SUM will be in A3. How can i get it so that A3 is blank until A2 is filled in. Any would be appreciated Try this in A3: =3DIF(OR(A1=3D"",A2=3D""),"",A1+A2) That checks for both A1 and A2 being empty, and if either of them are then the formula will return a blank. If you only want to test for A2, then you can do this: =3DIF(A2=3D"","",A1+A2) No need for SUM. Hope this helps. ...

Why does my format keep changing in the cell?
I keep having issues with excel and it is always the same. I will be working in a sheet and in the same column but different row and all of a sudden it changes my format from general to a date format. I then go to edit and clear contents and it resets to general and as soon as I go back to the cell and enter the number and hit tab it resets to the date format again. This also happens to my date formatting as well. I want it to be in one date format and it keeps changing it to a different date format. I should be able to type in aug10 and get my format selection of 08/10/2005 but it...