Would like to have local graphic files displayed by Windows Picture Viewer instead of Internet Explorer

My spreadsheet contains a bunch of the so-called hyperlinks which,
when clicked, start an external program that takes care of the actual
displaying of the image file.

Is there any way to select the external program (file viewer)?

All the graphics files (PNG format) reside in my hard disk, not on the
Internet. This case is handled very nicely by Open Office, with the
images being handled by the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer which loads
lightning fast.

Excel, on the other hand, prefers to use Internet Explorer, which is a
drag.

Can I tell Excel NOT to execute IE for some hyperlinks?

-Ramon

Excel 2002

0
ramon4167 (1)
9/19/2007 11:34:45 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Ramon,

I'm going to guess that the Windows file association determines the program that's started
for your png files.  Try this.  In any folder window (like My Documents), do Tools - Folder
Options - File types tab.  Find the png type in the list, then use the "opens with" section
to change the program you want Windows to launch to open these files.

--
Regards from Virginia Beach,

Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

    Note: Top-posting has been the norm here.
    Some folks prefer bottom-posting.
    But if you bottom-post to a reply that's
    already top-posted, the thread gets messy.
    When in Rome...
"Ramon F Herrera" <ramon@conexus.net> wrote in message

> My spreadsheet contains a bunch of the so-called hyperlinks which,
> when clicked, start an external program that takes care of the actual
> displaying of the image file.
>
> Is there any way to select the external program (file viewer)?
>
> All the graphics files (PNG format) reside in my hard disk, not on the
> Internet. This case is handled very nicely by Open Office, with the
> images being handled by the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer which loads
> lightning fast.
>
> Excel, on the other hand, prefers to use Internet Explorer, which is a
> drag.
>
> Can I tell Excel NOT to execute IE for some hyperlinks?
>
> -Ramon
>
> Excel 2002

0
someone798 (944)

Instant Search, Advanced Find, Search Folders, and Windows Desktop
Instant search stopped working for me. Now if I search for even the letter "a", I get the following message: No matches found for: "a". When I ask "advanced find" to find any emails with categories contains TNE01, it returns no results. However, advanced find works somewhat. For example when I look for items in my inbox with "a" in the subject line, it returns 78 matches. When I use "search folders", to find emails with categories = TNE01, 14 items are returned. When I use "search folders" to find items with "WC" in freq...

Windows Reset Without BugCheck
Hi All, I have a driver using COM port internally. I need accurate read timing so I am reading bytes one by one. I start with reading a single byte and on read completion I am sending another request for the next byte. The flow of execution is so that if there are a few bytes pending every read will complete immediately before function return, like this: Two Single Bytes: Read (1) Read (1) Completion invoked - Read (2) Read (1) Completion done Read (2) Completion invoked - Read (3) Read (2) Completion done Multiple Bytes pending: Read (1) Read (1) Completion invoked...

Request Windows Release Extra Memory?
We have large unmanaged C++/MFC application. After about 24 hours, TaskManager may report it's using about 600MB of memory. When minimized and maximized, extra memory devoted to the app appears to be released and TaskManager reports about 175MB memory in use which, as expected, slowly begins to climb again over time. Is there a way to programmatically request that Windows release extra memory allocated to our application? Perhaps something akin to that which occurs when it is minimized and maximized again only without actually minimizing the app? -- Thanks, -Dwight Dwight wrote: ...

OWA display problem
Our Outlook is performing normally when accessed internally. When accessing by way of OWA, however, we can see the headers, but cannot open the message. We can compose new messages and send them. We cannot see the message body in a preview pane. Any ideas? Steve, It sounds like you might have URLScan installed on the OWA server. Please have a look at the following article to see if it is relevant. 320089 XCCC: The URLScan Utility Does Not Allow You to Open Messages in OWA http://support.microsoft.com/?id=320089 Hope this helps. -- Greg Mansius [MSFT] This posting is provided &...

PDFs do not display in OWA using FE/BE scenario, IE 6, Adobe Reader 7.0.7
Greetings, My organization is currently running Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 SP2 in a FE/BE scenario with the FE serving OWA. We are experiencing problems with our OWA users not being able to open PDF attachments within OWA when they are using IE 6 (fully patched) and Adobe Reader 7.0.7. After some testing, I have discovered the following: When using: Abobe Reader 7.0.7 and IE 6 (fully patched) - PDFs will not display in OWA (no errors given) Adobe Reader 7.0.7 and IE 7 Beta 2 - PDFs will display properly Adobe Reader 7.0.7 and Firefox (fully patched) - PDFs will display properly ...

changing the delimiter while saving as txt file
Dear Experts, is there a way to change the delimiter to # instead of tab characters while saving the excel file to .txt file. Thanks in advance Hi see: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/imptext.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "raj" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:845d01c48520$92fc1c20$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Dear Experts, > > is there a way to change the delimiter to # instead of tab > characters while saving the excel file to .txt file. > > Thanks in advance And some more links... Maybe you can steal some cod...

need to find the file that Outlook emails are stored in
there is one file that contains all the outlook email and information. i need help to find it. also, how can i view Hidden Files? thanks arthur Open Windows Explorer and select Tools | Folder Options. Select Show Hidden Files and Folders and uncheck the option to hide protected operating system files. OK out and open the search panel (f3). If you are using Windows XP, you need to configure the search to look for hidden items. If all goes right, you should find your *.pst file(s) under \documents and settings\<userid>\local settings\application data\microsoft\outlook. -- Neo [...

Graphics and attached file in e-mail activity / quick campaigns e-mails
Hi. We have migrated from Siebel to MS CRM 4.0. We are happy with the decision, but very disappointed by the default options on e-mails, especially e-mails in quick campaigns: - Graphics cannot be inserted, e.g. a company logo - A file, e.g. a PDF, cannot be attached Can anyone help with a workaround, or any tips on a third party add-on / tool that can expand the functionality in CRM? We have tried deferent workarounds: - Export the targets e-mail addresses to Excel. Design the e-mail in Word, and send the e-mails from Word via the Excel list merge. That solves the graphics issue, but...

Purge data based on another Excel file???
I am attempting to purge data from a large list based on data in another document. I have the files I want to remaove in on file and the file I want to remove them from. There should be simple way to do this no? ...

Can't open many XLS files at once
I have Excel 2000 and Win XP pro. I used to be able to highlight many XLS files in Explorer, right click, choose open and all the highlighted files would open in Excel with the different xls files on my task bar. I can still do this on my W98 computer, but I can only open one file at a time on my Win XP computer. If I double click on a 2nd XLS file the 2nd XLS file opens and the first file closes. I tried the run excel.exe /regserv fix but this did not solve the problem. Does anyone know how to fix this for Win XP? Thanks Dennis Hi maybe: Tools - Options - General and uncheck 'Ig...

Access corrupt files DBF?
Access corrupt files DBF? "Frank Dulk" <fdulk@bol.com.br> wrote: >Access corrupt files DBF? What is your question? I see you're from Brazil. Have you asked your question in the Portuguese Access newsgroup? microsoft.public.pt.access. Tony -- Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP Please respond only in the newsgroups so that others can read the entire thread of messages. Microsoft Access Links, Hints, Tips & Accounting Systems at http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm Tony's Microsoft Access Blog - http://msmvps.com/blogs/access/ "Frank D...

Invoice Item Posting Account defaults to Cash account instead of Income, Sales account
Great Plains 7.00g12 Our VAR doesn't know the answer to this: Our Invoice Item Posting Account defaults to the 'Cash' account instead of the expected 'Income, Sales' account. We can override this manually for each item in the invoice. After entering an item on the invoice. (I've attached a screen shot) Looking at the distribution in the Sales Distribution Entry window: The Credit shows as type SALES but the Distribution Reference shows as Cash. We cannot figure out why this is happens. Selecting the Sales Item Detail Inquiry Zoom then selecting <Distributio...

Incorrect Currency Displayed
When exporting data from a VB application to an Excel spreadsheet I am finding that the wrong currency symbol is displayed. OS used is XP. The XP regional settings and language are set for UK. When the data is exported the display for the currency data on the spreadsheet is a $ rather than £. When I try to format the cells in excel to set the currency symbol the dialog box displayed shows that the currency symbol for the cells is £ but no matter what I do when I close the dialog box the currency symbol on the spreadsheet is still a $ symbol. HELP! Thanks, Maxy Maxy, Tr...

displaying dates in UK format
I didn't write the original database and my knowledge of database design is not good enough to duplicate the work already done. With a variety of computers running Windows98 and/or XP, using Access2003, I cannot get dates to display on my forms in UK format (i.e. dd/mm/yyyy or even d/m/yy). The computers in use all have the short date format set to dd/mm/yyyy in regional settings. I have read through http://allenbrowne.com/ser-36.html and tried the formatting suggested there and it didn't work for me. I added it to "Lost focus" and "OnExit" and ...

Write a tool to generate a PST file with the same structure as old
I will migrate 1000+ users to Exchange 2010 and those users are using OL 2003 and OL2007. To help them migrate more smoothly, I will provide a tool for them to generate PST file with the same structure as an old PST file. Is it possible? How to begin this idea? Thanks, Sam Have you looked at ExMerge? If you are copying a PST file, why do you need to create a copy instead of just using the original PST file? -- Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP) http://www.dimastr.com/ OutlookSpy - Outlook, CDO and MAPI Developer Tool - "PST TOOL" <PST TOOL@discussions.microsoft....

Display different outgoing mail domain
We have purchased a domain name that we would like to use for our email. ie we use Stargate as a mail provider, but we want our outgoing mail to show person@companydomain.com instead of person@stargate.net. You could do this in previous versions of Outlook (tell it how to display outgoing email address), but I can't figure out how to do this in 2002 Outlook. Does anyone know if this can be done? ...

Official name of the File Selection Part of CFileDialog
I want to know the official name of the file selection portion of the CFileDialog. I also want to know how this is implemented, is there a special kind of ListBox that can do multiple columns? "Peter Olcott" <NoSpam@SeeScreen.com> wrote in message news:Kw%3h.10768$IC.9812@newsfe21.lga... >I want to know the official name of the file selection portion of the >CFileDialog. I also want to know how this is implemented, is there a >special kind of ListBox that can do multiple columns? List-View http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/commctls/list...

Office 2007 Professional: Help Files Issues
Gents, I cannot find a solution to this odd issue and before I submit a support ticket I thought I would ask the community. We have office 2007 professional (volume licensing) on a Window 2003 terminal server. We have a few users out of a bunch that get the "This page is unavailable" I have tried the Refresh and back. I've tried online and offline modes. In offline I get the table of contents to the left but same unavailable message when I click the links. I noticed on testing some other users, that apparently never used the help. That there are some prompts...

EXCEL 2007
I have a GIS application which uses .dbf files (not sure if they are actually Dbase files). When I need to append data (fields) to the files, I have a big problem in that excel 2007 no longer allows save as / export to .dbf files. If I try bring the data in MS Access and save as .dbf files, I have untold problems with the GIS application... The only way I have been successful with this is to find a user with an older version of excel, insert the data as database columns and then save as .dbf Any suggestions as to how I can get around this with out purchasing a converter? ...

Logging Sent and Received Internet Mail?
Hi, Could someone out there please tell me how to log all sent and received internet mail on my exchange 2003 server. Thanks! Turn tracking on. Go to the properties on the server in Exchange System Manager (or if you have a server policy go to the policy), check enable message tracking and subject logging (optional) and set a time limit for removing log files. If you need to keep the logging info longer make sure you implement a backup strategy for the server.log folder where the logs will be kept. Glen "DM SysOp" <DMSysOp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ...

Can Money Deluxe 2006 Read Money Premium File
Can Money Deluxe 2006 read/write a Money Premium 2006 file? Thanks. Bob Mc. In microsoft.public.money, Bob Mc <Bob Mc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Can Money Deluxe 2006 read/write a Money Premium 2006 file? Yes. ...

How to playing AVI file....
Hi Could anybody please let me know how to play an "AVI" file in MFC Dialog base application. Thanks in advance.... Mujtaba Look at codeproject/codeguru for samples: http://www.codeproject.com/audio/mp3player.asp -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com "Mujtaba" <tomujtaba@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:8f4f92aa.0502112151.53cecfc9@posting.google.com... > Hi > > Could anybody please let me know how to play an "AVI" file in MFC > Dialog base application. > > Thanks in advance.... > > Mujtaba You can use a CAnimate...

ASP.Net
Hi, I have a few questions about ASP.Net, as I've been using it for a while but my knowledge of the "big picture" is patchy in some areas. Any help would be appreciated... - Where is the line between "native" language features (e.g. in JScript), and those features which are part of .Net (or whatever), common to all .Net languages? Or put another way, how are the .Net facilities "mapped" onto a particular language? (I'm sorry of this question is somewhat vague...) - In a closely-related matter, do any languages have issues accessing the full A...

window.print
I'm using XP SP3. I have a table, created with .asp, that shows up nicely on the screen, but when I print it with window.print and it extends over several pages, the entry in the 1st row, 1st column is blank on the second and subsequent pages. If I change font size, which changes the number of pages printed, the behavior stays the same: entry in 1st row, 1st column of second and subsequent pages is blank. Where do I start looking for the cause of this problem, and how can I fix it? Thanks, Gerry Metze Printer type? After clicking print did you check preferences? ...

CFtpFileFind::FindNextFile() can't get the correct file name.
Once I want to get file from HP-UX by FTP. I use MFC CFtpFileFind to find the files under a specified directory in HP-UX, but the return value of CFtpFileFind::GetFileName () is not the correct file name, it includes time (sometimes and date) ahead, such as: 19:30 Mydemofile001.txt 19:35 Mydemofile002.txt but the real file name existed are only Mydemofile001.txt and Mydemofile002.txt. Is there any problem in the low level encapsulated by MFC for FTP list files? Could anyone give me some advice? Thank you. ...