Workbook Growth Excessive

This workbook with a half dozen worksheets keeps my checking account info.

The largest is the History sheet with 4100 rows, 9 columns, no calculation.

Next is the Current sheet with 700 rows, 9 columns, numerous calculations
including links to a "checks cleared" sheet .

Up until a couple months ago this file increased by about 50K/mo; now it's
increasing by 500K. I've made no significant increases in the rate at which
I've added data.

Just scrolling down in the Current sheet is slow and CPU use jumps to 50%.

I get the same result even with auto-recalculation off.

I've run the Error checking tool, and it didn't find anything.

I've eliminated the History sheet no change.

Now it appears to be growing 100k with the addition of 1 row with a 
half-dozen cells.

What's going on? 


0
12/6/2007 5:10:13 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

7 Replies
312 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 22

On each sheet do CTRL-End - this will take you to the cell which Excel
thinks is the last one to be used, but this is often incorrect. If it
is way beyond your last column or row, then you should delete all rows
and columns beyond the ones that you are using.

For example, if F is your last column, then click on the identifier
above column G to highlight it, hold down the <shift> key and press
<End> once followed by <Right arrow>, then release <shift>. This will
have highlighted all the unused columns - click on Edit | Delete to
get rid of them. Do the same for the unwanted rows, and then save the
file.

Repeat for all your other sheets. Remember to save the file - you will
not see any improvement unless you do so.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Dec 6, 5:10 pm, "Alexander" <Alexander.Bar...@Verizon.net> wrote:
> This workbook with a half dozen worksheets keeps my checking account info.
>
> The largest is the History sheet with 4100 rows, 9 columns, no calculation.
>
> Next is the Current sheet with 700 rows, 9 columns, numerous calculations
> including links to a "checks cleared" sheet .
>
> Up until a couple months ago this file increased by about 50K/mo; now it's
> increasing by 500K. I've made no significant increases in the rate at which
> I've added data.
>
> Just scrolling down in the Current sheet is slow and CPU use jumps to 50%.
>
> I get the same result even with auto-recalculation off.
>
> I've run the Error checking tool, and it didn't find anything.
>
> I've eliminated the History sheet no change.
>
> Now it appears to be growing 100k with the addition of 1 row with a
> half-dozen cells.
>
> What's going on?

0
pashurst (2576)
12/6/2007 8:08:10 PM
Hi, Pete,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I've checked. All the "last" cells are in the right place.

Alexander

"Pete_UK" <pashurst@auditel.net> wrote in message 
news:1e2b8260-ef85-4b74-8c31-81c23758b04f@s36g2000prg.googlegroups.com...
> On each sheet do CTRL-End - this will take you to the cell which Excel
> thinks is the last one to be used, but this is often incorrect. If it
> is way beyond your last column or row, then you should delete all rows
> and columns beyond the ones that you are using.
>
> For example, if F is your last column, then click on the identifier
> above column G to highlight it, hold down the <shift> key and press
> <End> once followed by <Right arrow>, then release <shift>. This will
> have highlighted all the unused columns - click on Edit | Delete to
> get rid of them. Do the same for the unwanted rows, and then save the
> file.
>
> Repeat for all your other sheets. Remember to save the file - you will
> not see any improvement unless you do so.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Pete
>
> On Dec 6, 5:10 pm, "Alexander" <Alexander.Bar...@Verizon.net> wrote:
>> This workbook with a half dozen worksheets keeps my checking account 
>> info.
>>
>> The largest is the History sheet with 4100 rows, 9 columns, no 
>> calculation.
>>
>> Next is the Current sheet with 700 rows, 9 columns, numerous calculations
>> including links to a "checks cleared" sheet .
>>
>> Up until a couple months ago this file increased by about 50K/mo; now 
>> it's
>> increasing by 500K. I've made no significant increases in the rate at 
>> which
>> I've added data.
>>
>> Just scrolling down in the Current sheet is slow and CPU use jumps to 
>> 50%.
>>
>> I get the same result even with auto-recalculation off.
>>
>> I've run the Error checking tool, and it didn't find anything.
>>
>> I've eliminated the History sheet no change.
>>
>> Now it appears to be growing 100k with the addition of 1 row with a
>> half-dozen cells.
>>
>> What's going on?
> 


0
12/7/2007 5:27:57 AM
Okay, another thing you can try is to get rid of any drawing objects
you might have in the file. For each sheet:

use Edit | Go To... (or press F5), then click on Special | Objects,
press OK, then Delete.

Save the file when you have finished.

Does this improve things?

Pete


On Dec 7, 5:27 am, "Alexander" <Alexander.Bar...@Verizon.net> wrote:
> Hi, Pete,
>
> Thanks for the suggestion.
>
> I've checked. All the "last" cells are in the right place.
>
> Alexander
>
> "Pete_UK" <pashu...@auditel.net> wrote in message
>
> news:1e2b8260-ef85-4b74-8c31-81c23758b04f@s36g2000prg.googlegroups.com...
>
>
>
> > On each sheet do CTRL-End - this will take you to the cell which Excel
> > thinks is the last one to be used, but this is often incorrect. If it
> > is way beyond your last column or row, then you should delete all rows
> > and columns beyond the ones that you are using.
>
> > For example, if F is your last column, then click on the identifier
> > above column G to highlight it, hold down the <shift> key and press
> > <End> once followed by <Right arrow>, then release <shift>. This will
> > have highlighted all the unused columns - click on Edit | Delete to
> > get rid of them. Do the same for the unwanted rows, and then save the
> > file.
>
> > Repeat for all your other sheets. Remember to save the file - you will
> > not see any improvement unless you do so.
>
> > Hope this helps.
>
> > Pete
>
> > On Dec 6, 5:10 pm, "Alexander" <Alexander.Bar...@Verizon.net> wrote:
> >> This workbook with a half dozen worksheets keeps my checking account
> >> info.
>
> >> The largest is the History sheet with 4100 rows, 9 columns, no
> >> calculation.
>
> >> Next is the Current sheet with 700 rows, 9 columns, numerous calculations
> >> including links to a "checks cleared" sheet .
>
> >> Up until a couple months ago this file increased by about 50K/mo; now
> >> it's
> >> increasing by 500K. I've made no significant increases in the rate at
> >> which
> >> I've added data.
>
> >> Just scrolling down in the Current sheet is slow and CPU use jumps to
> >> 50%.
>
> >> I get the same result even with auto-recalculation off.
>
> >> I've run the Error checking tool, and it didn't find anything.
>
> >> I've eliminated the History sheet no change.
>
> >> Now it appears to be growing 100k with the addition of 1 row with a
> >> half-dozen cells.
>
> >> What's going on?- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

0
pashurst (2576)
12/7/2007 9:35:30 AM
Thanks Pete_UK,

GREAT!

                GREAT!

That fixed it. (I got up early just to send you this thank you.)

I couldn't find "Delete". I moved the cursor over one of them and did a cut.

How do those get created. I certainly didn't do it on purpose.

Alexander

"Pete_UK" <pashurst@auditel.net> wrote in message 
news:171e78c8-7c93-4537-9f2a-d6198f613b8f@e25g2000prg.googlegroups.com...
> Okay, another thing you can try is to get rid of any drawing objects
> you might have in the file. For each sheet:
>
> use Edit | Go To... (or press F5), then click on Special | Objects,
> press OK, then Delete.
>
> Save the file when you have finished.
>
> Does this improve things?
>
> Pete
>
>
> On Dec 7, 5:27 am, "Alexander" <Alexander.Bar...@Verizon.net> wrote:
>> Hi, Pete,
>>
>> Thanks for the suggestion.
>>
>> I've checked. All the "last" cells are in the right place.
>>
>> Alexander
>>
>> "Pete_UK" <pashu...@auditel.net> wrote in message
>>
>> news:1e2b8260-ef85-4b74-8c31-81c23758b04f@s36g2000prg.googlegroups.com...
>>
>>
>>
>> > On each sheet do CTRL-End - this will take you to the cell which Excel
>> > thinks is the last one to be used, but this is often incorrect. If it
>> > is way beyond your last column or row, then you should delete all rows
>> > and columns beyond the ones that you are using.
>>
>> > For example, if F is your last column, then click on the identifier
>> > above column G to highlight it, hold down the <shift> key and press
>> > <End> once followed by <Right arrow>, then release <shift>. This will
>> > have highlighted all the unused columns - click on Edit | Delete to
>> > get rid of them. Do the same for the unwanted rows, and then save the
>> > file.
>>
>> > Repeat for all your other sheets. Remember to save the file - you will
>> > not see any improvement unless you do so.
>>
>> > Hope this helps.
>>
>> > Pete
>>
>> > On Dec 6, 5:10 pm, "Alexander" <Alexander.Bar...@Verizon.net> wrote:
>> >> This workbook with a half dozen worksheets keeps my checking account
>> >> info.
>>
>> >> The largest is the History sheet with 4100 rows, 9 columns, no
>> >> calculation.
>>
>> >> Next is the Current sheet with 700 rows, 9 columns, numerous 
>> >> calculations
>> >> including links to a "checks cleared" sheet .
>>
>> >> Up until a couple months ago this file increased by about 50K/mo; now
>> >> it's
>> >> increasing by 500K. I've made no significant increases in the rate at
>> >> which
>> >> I've added data.
>>
>> >> Just scrolling down in the Current sheet is slow and CPU use jumps to
>> >> 50%.
>>
>> >> I get the same result even with auto-recalculation off.
>>
>> >> I've run the Error checking tool, and it didn't find anything.
>>
>> >> I've eliminated the History sheet no change.
>>
>> >> Now it appears to be growing 100k with the addition of 1 row with a
>> >> half-dozen cells.
>>
>> >> What's going on?- Hide quoted text -
>>
>> - Show quoted text -
> 


0
12/7/2007 2:52:41 PM
Glad to hear it worked - thanks for feeding back.

There are a number of different shape objects - I don't know how they
find their way into the workbook, but once there they seem to
propagate, as Excel doesn't manage its housekeeping properly.

Incidentally, what did the file size come down to (and from what)?

Pete

On Dec 7, 2:52 pm, "Alexander" <Alexander.Bar...@Verizon.net> wrote:
> Thanks Pete_UK,
>
> GREAT!
>
>                 GREAT!
>
> That fixed it. (I got up early just to send you this thank you.)
>
> I couldn't find "Delete". I moved the cursor over one of them and did a cut.
>
> How do those get created. I certainly didn't do it on purpose.
>
> Alexander
>
> "Pete_UK" <pashu...@auditel.net> wrote in message
>
> news:171e78c8-7c93-4537-9f2a-d6198f613b8f@e25g2000prg.googlegroups.com...
>
>
>
> > Okay, another thing you can try is to get rid of any drawing objects
> > you might have in the file. For each sheet:
>
> > use Edit | Go To... (or press F5), then click on Special | Objects,
> > press OK, then Delete.
>
> > Save the file when you have finished.
>
> > Does this improve things?
>
> > Pete
>
> > On Dec 7, 5:27 am, "Alexander" <Alexander.Bar...@Verizon.net> wrote:
> >> Hi, Pete,
>
> >> Thanks for the suggestion.
>
> >> I've checked. All the "last" cells are in the right place.
>
> >> Alexander
>
> >> "Pete_UK" <pashu...@auditel.net> wrote in message
>
> >>news:1e2b8260-ef85-4b74-8c31-81c23758b04f@s36g2000prg.googlegroups.com...
>
> >> > On each sheet do CTRL-End - this will take you to the cell which Excel
> >> > thinks is the last one to be used, but this is often incorrect. If it
> >> > is way beyond your last column or row, then you should delete all rows
> >> > and columns beyond the ones that you are using.
>
> >> > For example, if F is your last column, then click on the identifier
> >> > above column G to highlight it, hold down the <shift> key and press
> >> > <End> once followed by <Right arrow>, then release <shift>. This will
> >> > have highlighted all the unused columns - click on Edit | Delete to
> >> > get rid of them. Do the same for the unwanted rows, and then save the
> >> > file.
>
> >> > Repeat for all your other sheets. Remember to save the file - you will
> >> > not see any improvement unless you do so.
>
> >> > Hope this helps.
>
> >> > Pete
>
> >> > On Dec 6, 5:10 pm, "Alexander" <Alexander.Bar...@Verizon.net> wrote:
> >> >> This workbook with a half dozen worksheets keeps my checking account
> >> >> info.
>
> >> >> The largest is the History sheet with 4100 rows, 9 columns, no
> >> >> calculation.
>
> >> >> Next is the Current sheet with 700 rows, 9 columns, numerous
> >> >> calculations
> >> >> including links to a "checks cleared" sheet .
>
> >> >> Up until a couple months ago this file increased by about 50K/mo; now
> >> >> it's
> >> >> increasing by 500K. I've made no significant increases in the rate at
> >> >> which
> >> >> I've added data.
>
> >> >> Just scrolling down in the Current sheet is slow and CPU use jumps to
> >> >> 50%.
>
> >> >> I get the same result even with auto-recalculation off.
>
> >> >> I've run the Error checking tool, and it didn't find anything.
>
> >> >> I've eliminated the History sheet no change.
>
> >> >> Now it appears to be growing 100k with the addition of 1 row with a
> >> >> half-dozen cells.
>
> >> >> What's going on?- Hide quoted text -
>
> >> - Show quoted text -- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

0
pashurst (2576)
12/7/2007 3:07:18 PM
Hi, Pete,

The original came down from 3,900Kb to 1,200Kb.

I stripped out the Hist sheet and older tranasction from the original 
leaving only `70 rows in the Active sheet. That brought it down to ~2,900Kb. 
After the fix 133Kb. That's right, 133Kb.

BTW, after doing the Cut it took forever to close.

Thanks again.

Alexander

"Pete_UK" <pashurst@auditel.net> wrote in message 
news:40687fcc-cede-44ab-9803-dc1c8c497a35@d4g2000prg.googlegroups.com...
> Glad to hear it worked - thanks for feeding back.
>
> There are a number of different shape objects - I don't know how they
> find their way into the workbook, but once there they seem to
> propagate, as Excel doesn't manage its housekeeping properly.
>
> Incidentally, what did the file size come down to (and from what)?
>
> Pete
>
> On Dec 7, 2:52 pm, "Alexander" <Alexander.Bar...@Verizon.net> wrote:
>> Thanks Pete_UK,
>>
>> GREAT!
>>
>>                 GREAT!
>>
>> That fixed it. (I got up early just to send you this thank you.)
>>
>> I couldn't find "Delete". I moved the cursor over one of them and did a 
>> cut.
>>
>> How do those get created. I certainly didn't do it on purpose.
>>
>> Alexander
>>
>> "Pete_UK" <pashu...@auditel.net> wrote in message
>>
>> news:171e78c8-7c93-4537-9f2a-d6198f613b8f@e25g2000prg.googlegroups.com...
>>
>>
>>
>> > Okay, another thing you can try is to get rid of any drawing objects
>> > you might have in the file. For each sheet:
>>
>> > use Edit | Go To... (or press F5), then click on Special | Objects,
>> > press OK, then Delete.
>>
>> > Save the file when you have finished.
>>
>> > Does this improve things?
>>
>> > Pete
>>
>> > On Dec 7, 5:27 am, "Alexander" <Alexander.Bar...@Verizon.net> wrote:
>> >> Hi, Pete,
>>
>> >> Thanks for the suggestion.
>>
>> >> I've checked. All the "last" cells are in the right place.
>>
>> >> Alexander
>>
>> >> "Pete_UK" <pashu...@auditel.net> wrote in message
>>
>> >>news:1e2b8260-ef85-4b74-8c31-81c23758b04f@s36g2000prg.googlegroups.com...
>>
>> >> > On each sheet do CTRL-End - this will take you to the cell which 
>> >> > Excel
>> >> > thinks is the last one to be used, but this is often incorrect. If 
>> >> > it
>> >> > is way beyond your last column or row, then you should delete all 
>> >> > rows
>> >> > and columns beyond the ones that you are using.
>>
>> >> > For example, if F is your last column, then click on the identifier
>> >> > above column G to highlight it, hold down the <shift> key and press
>> >> > <End> once followed by <Right arrow>, then release <shift>. This 
>> >> > will
>> >> > have highlighted all the unused columns - click on Edit | Delete to
>> >> > get rid of them. Do the same for the unwanted rows, and then save 
>> >> > the
>> >> > file.
>>
>> >> > Repeat for all your other sheets. Remember to save the file - you 
>> >> > will
>> >> > not see any improvement unless you do so.
>>
>> >> > Hope this helps.
>>
>> >> > Pete
>>
>> >> > On Dec 6, 5:10 pm, "Alexander" <Alexander.Bar...@Verizon.net> wrote:
>> >> >> This workbook with a half dozen worksheets keeps my checking 
>> >> >> account
>> >> >> info.
>>
>> >> >> The largest is the History sheet with 4100 rows, 9 columns, no
>> >> >> calculation.
>>
>> >> >> Next is the Current sheet with 700 rows, 9 columns, numerous
>> >> >> calculations
>> >> >> including links to a "checks cleared" sheet .
>>
>> >> >> Up until a couple months ago this file increased by about 50K/mo; 
>> >> >> now
>> >> >> it's
>> >> >> increasing by 500K. I've made no significant increases in the rate 
>> >> >> at
>> >> >> which
>> >> >> I've added data.
>>
>> >> >> Just scrolling down in the Current sheet is slow and CPU use jumps 
>> >> >> to
>> >> >> 50%.
>>
>> >> >> I get the same result even with auto-recalculation off.
>>
>> >> >> I've run the Error checking tool, and it didn't find anything.
>>
>> >> >> I've eliminated the History sheet no change.
>>
>> >> >> Now it appears to be growing 100k with the addition of 1 row with a
>> >> >> half-dozen cells.
>>
>> >> >> What's going on?- Hide quoted text -
>>
>> >> - Show quoted text -- Hide quoted text -
>>
>> - Show quoted text -
> 


0
12/7/2007 9:52:49 PM
Well, that's quite some reduction !!

Thanks for feeding back, Alexander.

Pete

On Dec 7, 9:52 pm, "Alexander" <Alexander.Bar...@Verizon.net> wrote:
> Hi, Pete,
>
> The original came down from 3,900Kb to 1,200Kb.
>
> I stripped out the Hist sheet and older tranasction from the original
> leaving only `70 rows in the Active sheet. That brought it down to ~2,900Kb.
> After the fix 133Kb. That's right, 133Kb.
>
> BTW, after doing the Cut it took forever to close.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Alexander
>
> "Pete_UK" <pashu...@auditel.net> wrote in message
>
> news:40687fcc-cede-44ab-9803-dc1c8c497a35@d4g2000prg.googlegroups.com...
>
>
>
> > Glad to hear it worked - thanks for feeding back.
>
> > There are a number of different shape objects - I don't know how they
> > find their way into the workbook, but once there they seem to
> > propagate, as Excel doesn't manage its housekeeping properly.
>
> > Incidentally, what did the file size come down to (and from what)?
>
> > Pete
>
> > On Dec 7, 2:52 pm, "Alexander" <Alexander.Bar...@Verizon.net> wrote:
> >> Thanks Pete_UK,
>
> >> GREAT!
>
> >>                 GREAT!
>
> >> That fixed it. (I got up early just to send you this thank you.)
>
> >> I couldn't find "Delete". I moved the cursor over one of them and did a
> >> cut.
>
> >> How do those get created. I certainly didn't do it on purpose.
>
> >> Alexander
>
> >> "Pete_UK" <pashu...@auditel.net> wrote in message
>
> >>news:171e78c8-7c93-4537-9f2a-d6198f613b8f@e25g2000prg.googlegroups.com...
>
> >> > Okay, another thing you can try is to get rid of any drawing objects
> >> > you might have in the file. For each sheet:
>
> >> > use Edit | Go To... (or press F5), then click on Special | Objects,
> >> > press OK, then Delete.
>
> >> > Save the file when you have finished.
>
> >> > Does this improve things?
>
> >> > Pete
>
> >> > On Dec 7, 5:27 am, "Alexander" <Alexander.Bar...@Verizon.net> wrote:
> >> >> Hi, Pete,
>
> >> >> Thanks for the suggestion.
>
> >> >> I've checked. All the "last" cells are in the right place.
>
> >> >> Alexander
>
> >> >> "Pete_UK" <pashu...@auditel.net> wrote in message
>
> >> >>news:1e2b8260-ef85-4b74-8c31-81c23758b04f@s36g2000prg.googlegroups.com...
>
> >> >> > On each sheet do CTRL-End - this will take you to the cell which
> >> >> > Excel
> >> >> > thinks is the last one to be used, but this is often incorrect. If
> >> >> > it
> >> >> > is way beyond your last column or row, then you should delete all
> >> >> > rows
> >> >> > and columns beyond the ones that you are using.
>
> >> >> > For example, if F is your last column, then click on the identifier
> >> >> > above column G to highlight it, hold down the <shift> key and press
> >> >> > <End> once followed by <Right arrow>, then release <shift>. This
> >> >> > will
> >> >> > have highlighted all the unused columns - click on Edit | Delete to
> >> >> > get rid of them. Do the same for the unwanted rows, and then save
> >> >> > the
> >> >> > file.
>
> >> >> > Repeat for all your other sheets. Remember to save the file - you
> >> >> > will
> >> >> > not see any improvement unless you do so.
>
> >> >> > Hope this helps.
>
> >> >> > Pete
>
> >> >> > On Dec 6, 5:10 pm, "Alexander" <Alexander.Bar...@Verizon.net> wrote:
> >> >> >> This workbook with a half dozen worksheets keeps my checking
> >> >> >> account
> >> >> >> info.
>
> >> >> >> The largest is the History sheet with 4100 rows, 9 columns, no
> >> >> >> calculation.
>
> >> >> >> Next is the Current sheet with 700 rows, 9 columns, numerous
> >> >> >> calculations
> >> >> >> including links to a "checks cleared" sheet .
>
> >> >> >> Up until a couple months ago this file increased by about 50K/mo;
> >> >> >> now
> >> >> >> it's
> >> >> >> increasing by 500K. I've made no significant increases in the rate
> >> >> >> at
> >> >> >> which
> >> >> >> I've added data.
>
> >> >> >> Just scrolling down in the Current sheet is slow and CPU use jumps
> >> >> >> to
> >> >> >> 50%.
>
> >> >> >> I get the same result even with auto-recalculation off.
>
> >> >> >> I've run the Error checking tool, and it didn't find anything.
>
> >> >> >> I've eliminated the History sheet no change.
>
> >> >> >> Now it appears to be growing 100k with the addition of 1 row with a
> >> >> >> half-dozen cells.
>
> >> >> >> What's going on?- Hide quoted text -
>
> >> >> - Show quoted text -- Hide quoted text -
>
> >> - Show quoted text -- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

0
pashurst (2576)
12/8/2007 12:10:39 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

SUMIF and INDIRECT reference to tab in other workbook
I am trying to summarise multiple tabs onto one spreadsheet in a different workbook that can have more than one row of data for the same criteria using the following but it is returning with #REF as it is saying it is volatile. $L$5 = Filename $C10 = Tabname $E$17:$E$28 = Range $I$10 = Sumif Criteria $I$17:$I$28 = Sum_Range =SUMIF(INDIRECT("'["&$L$5&"]"&$C10&"'!$E$17:$E$28"),$I10,INDIRECT("'["&$L$5&"]"&$C10&"'!$I$17:$I$28")) Any help greatly appreciated ! Is the workb...

email single worksheet within workbook
Is it possible to email a single worksheet within a multiple worksheet workbook? Kate Hi Kate See my Wesite for a example http://www.rondebruin.nl/sendmail.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2002 SP-2) www.rondebruin.nl "Kate" <kate.ganski@yale.edu> wrote in message news:001801c38e80$560aeae0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Is it possible to email a single worksheet within a > multiple worksheet workbook? > Kate On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 09:13:54 -0700, "Kate" <kate.ganski@yale.edu> wrote in microsoft.public.excel.misc: >Is it possible to e...

Compile Error in Hidden Module
What are some common causes for the following error message: Compile Error in Hidden Module - This Workbook Thanks, Tony Hi have you installed an addin?. Try disabling your addins and check which one creates this error -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Tony Bender" <tony_bender@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:7caab052.0409240819.5ea5c846@posting.google.com... > What are some common causes for the following error message: > > Compile Error in Hidden Module - This Workbook > > Thanks, > > Tony ...

Update workbook each time a different worksheet is selected
I need to update a workbook each time the user goes to a new worksheet either by selecting the tab for that worksheet or by hyperlink. How can I to this without using a macro? (using macro is ok if necessary but I am trying to keep things simple) DJ "Update" means what? More details please. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 13:50:02 -0800, DJL <DJL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I need to update a workbook each time the user goes to a new worksheet either >by selecting the tab for that worksheet or by hyperlink. How can I to this >without us...

Find a value in a workbook and return the worksheet name
I have an Excel workbook (call it Workbook A) with one worksheet for every day of the year since July 1, each containing, among other things, a list of order numbers for that day. In another workbook (Workbook B), I have a smaller list of order numbers. What I would like to do is write some kind of function in Workbook B so that, for each order number in the smaller list, it will look for that same order number in Workbook A (it could be in any worksheet in Workbook A) and return the name of the worksheet -- the date for the order. Does such a function exist? Many thanks for any help....

Shared workbook Excel 2007
Use Excel 2007 sp1 to save documents on a network share, on that share I use file screening (win2003 R2). I block all type of file without office files. The only type of file I cannot save or edit is shared excel workbooks. If I turn off file screening it works just find, so what other temporary file are used with shared workbooks? ...

Opening multiple txt files into one workbook as separate sheets
I have seen posts about opening multiple txt files from a folder and saving each of them as a separate .xls. Is there a macro that would open all the .txt or .dat files in the directory that the .xls resides and put them as a new sheet in that folders .xls? IE. Folder1 data1.dat data2.dat Excel.xls 1.After running the macro in Excel.xls in Folder1 it has sheets data1.dat and data2.dat 2. Then if I move Excel.xls to Folder 2 with data3.dat and data4.dat and ran the macro again... Excel.xls would have data1.dat data2.dat data3.dat data4.dat Maybe this page will help http://www.rondebr...

Force users to enable macros on a protected workbook?
Hello! I found this code for ensuring that users always enable macros, but I have a few questions about it: http://www.vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=379 a) What would needed to be added to the code to make it work on a protected workbook? b) Does the code need some kind of error handling? (For my workbooks, there is a "Print" button on each sheet that when you push it, autofits the rows, pops up the spell checker, compares a few cells to make sure there are no duplicates, end dates don't come before start dates, etc. So without macros being always ...

mailing one sheet from workbook
I have a workbook with a number of sheets containing individuals results. Each sheet is named after the person, e.g. Fred, Janet, John, Susan. I'd like to be able to press a button on each sheet and for that individual sheet to be mailed to the person based on their e-mail address in cell Q1. Over time sheets will be added/deleted as people move on/join. Is there an easy way to set this up as the person using it has very limited Excel skills? Thanks in anticipation Hi nospaminlich See my site for code examples http://www.rondebruin.nl/sendmail.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http:/...

Copy worksheet to new workbook : Values & Formats
Hi, Is it possible to cpy an entire worksheet (Values & Formats) to a new workbook without copying formulas ? Sheets(X).Copy is building links to previous workbook. Thks for help After coping go to Edit->Links, and break links, and excel will replace links with values. If you do it from VBA, which seems so, try with PasteSpecial metod. "Franck" <wesley.saris@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1130320762.209498.135290@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > Is it possible to cpy an entire worksheet (Values & Formats) to a new > workbook without copying f...

Duplex Printing
I have been experiencing problems printing a multi sheet workbook. Whenever I choose to print the entire document in duplex and in greyscale, only the selected sheet prints with the required choices. The rest of the pages all print in default (non-duplex, and in colour). Knowledge Base article: 214383 explains the workaround, but I am keen to know if there is a better workaround/fix available that anybody knows of. Many Thanks Daniel J. Sime M.C.P. C.N.A. ...

Drop downs from another workbook
I followed the help instructions to get to the point where I could have a dropdown list from another workbook and at the end I get a n error message saying "You may not use other worksheets or workbooks for data validation" The other workbook I am trying to agther from is open too!?????????????????? Please help Maybe Debra Dalgleish's instructions will help: http://contextures.com/xlDataVal05.html Jenn wrote: > > I followed the help instructions to get to the point where I could have a > dropdown list from another workbook and at the end I get a n error message >...

Having a custom toolbar open with workbook
I would like to know if there's a way to have a workbook open and a custom toolbar also opens. Then, when the workbook closes, the default (or remaining) toolbars are left so that the custom toolbar closes with the closing of the workbook. Or better still.... that the default toolbar (whatever opens upon opening Excel) is replaced with the new toolbar on opening that workbook. The main reason I want to do this is because I do not want buttons positioned all over the worksheets (not enough room and gets a bit messy) as I want special buttons to be available when accessing different workshee...

Identifying new entries in separate workbooks #3
Hi Frank, You're a gem! I have listed each column letter with the headers a follows: Column A - PAC Column B - EN Column C - Name Column D - W/Type Column E - Rate Column F - Recovered Column G - O/Standing Column H - Comment These reports are always formatted in exactly the same way. Many thank for your assistance. Lee Jeffery : -- Lee Jeffer ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Lee Jeffery's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1088 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26794 ...

Do something when workbook is printing
I added a button on a worksheet, how do I hide the button when I print the workbook ? Right click the button and select format control, select properties and check/uncheck print object -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please) "Man Utd" <alanpltseNOSPAM@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:O7TWPAR1FHA.2428@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... >I added a button on a worksheet, how do I hide the button when I print the > workbook ? > > Thanks. "Peo Sjoblom" <terre08@mvps.org> wrote in message news:e1Bc6GR1FHA.916@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > ...

Can Excel automatically assign a number when opening a workbook?
I have been requested to provide a unique number for a workbook each time the workbook is opened. Is there any way Excel can automatically do this? Check out this link to a web page of John McGimpsey: http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/udfs/sequentialnums.html -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ============================================== "flowbee" <flowbee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9E61C4D8-5F48-4FA1-A3B8-B00AC3EC5111@microsoft.com... > I have been reque...

How to quickly unhide all worksheets in a workbook?
How to quickly unhide all worksheets in a workbook? "Murtaza" <NoEmail@Please.com> wrote in message news:erA3h6JOEHA.4036@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > > How to quickly unhide all worksheets in a workbook? > Paste this into a module, and run it: You can remove the dialogue box check, but I don't generally recommend it! If all you want is the guts, use the code below (bottom). Alan. Sub UnhideAllSheets() ' Declarations Dim Shts As Worksheets Dim Sht As Worksheet Dim Response As VbMsgBoxResult ' Check that the user does want to do this and if so.....

Updating cells from values in a second workbook
Need help in two areas. I have a price list workbook in 97. Three columns: part number, description and price. I would like to update that workbook by bringing in price values from a second workbook (also 97), with the part number as the common key. I also have new parts in the second workbook that are not contained in the first that I would like to bring those items [part number, description and price] into the first workbook without duplicating part numbers that already exist in the first. Solutions are very much appreciated. -- Erwin You could use MATCH() in the second workbook to id...

How to find all UDF calls in all workbooks
I've decided to make a few "improvements" to some of the UDFs in my personal add-in module. Now I need to find all of the calls to those UDFs in all of my workbooks, because the syntax has changed some. Is there an easy way to find them other than opening each one? I vaguely recall dealing with this before, but I can't remember if it was code or an add in. I think this will do it for you: http://www.asap-utilities.com/download-asap-utilities.php NYC public library is closing and they're ushering me out, so I can't test it now, but give it a whirl and s...

Open several workbooks in their own window
Excel 2003. How do you go about opening a separate workbook in its own window? Similar to how MS Word opens a new window for each document. I have 2 monitors set up (laptop with desktop monitor attached) and I work with too many spreadsheets which I would rather be able to view on separate screens rather than having to switch from one workbook to the next. Simply arranging the windows (eg tiled, horizontal, vertical) reduces the viewing area too much. Any suggestions? In addition, when you close a Word document via red box 'x' - top right, it doesn't close all other Word d...

Extracting data from workbooks. Help.
hello I have a situation where there are several workbooks, of variable name, contained within a folder on my hard drive. I have a master workbook in a folder higher up the same directory tree that I want to use to gather information from the other workbooks of variable names. The cell, A1, that I am interested in is on sheet "OnCall" in each of the workbooks of variable name. Is there any way that I can open the master workbook and then automatically extract the data from cell A1 in each of the other variable name workbooks? I hope that as clearer than mud? hopefully Tom Here&...

Is there away to keep Excel from opening a copy of an already opened workbook and the pages not be at 100% but
at the zoom the already opened workbook is at? Marc Marc It's probably the version of Excel that you are using. I have Excel 2002, and the zoom factor is saved with the file so when you re-open it doesn't revert to 100%. I suspect you are running an older version that doesn't support this. Catherine -- CDM ------------------------------------------------------------------------ CDM's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=32339 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=516597 ...

Excel VBA
Hi VBAers, I put some code in a workbook that I now want to re-use. My problem is I cannot remember which workbook it's in & thus, it could be in one of 30 workbooks. I was wondering if anyone can suggest a better way to find the code rather than searching for it 30 times please? Also, I think best practice is that I put my favourite code into my personal.xls file - is that correct? kazzy was thinking very hard : > Hi VBAers, > > I put some code in a workbook that I now want to re-use. My problem is > I cannot remember which workbook it's in & thus, it could be ...

Make a text file from Excel workbook
Is it possible to create a formatted text file from Excel work book? By stating "formatted", I mean that the output file should be having a pagewise report header, column headings etc. Like those reports which we generate using COBOL, Dbase etc. Regards, Ramana Murthy Hi not supported as build-in function. Why not create a PDF file? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Ramana Murthy" <murthyavr@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:u4jbIwO8EHA.824@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Is it possible to create a formatted text file from Excel work book? > &...

Slow loading workbooks because of date.
I have 7 computers running various versions of Windows, all using Office XP that are having problems opening Excel spreadsheets. If I open Excel first, then open a document, it's slow. If I double click a document to open it, it's slow. If I disconnect the machine from the network, it seems slightly faster. If I change the date on the machine to YESTERDAY'S date, it's MUCH faster. It appears to be happening when Excel attempts to "Request Virus Scan" while opening a document. Any ideas? Hi Lee, I experienced the same thing yesterday *after* my NIS auto- up...