WORD vs. EXCEL: How to Optimize

Hi all...

I have a fairly complex spreadsheet that also incorporates lots of legal
text. The app allows reps to enter info about prospects, and it computes
pricing, generates legal documents, and other info. Clearly, EXCEL handles
the math, but is weak with text.

Depending upon certain inputs, different blocks of text may be used.

Ideal world: utilize the best of both. Question: should I make this a
WORD_centric document or an EXCEL-centric document, and how to set up the
links between the two.

Many thanks...   /Randy

0
ran (54)
6/2/2004 8:42:15 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Randy,

It depends in part on the layout you want.  With Excel, you get cells in
rows and columns, and with Word, you get a page layout.  Either can be
embedded in the other, and for any updates, the user may need both programs
installed.  You don't need to have two separate files - one Excel and one
Word, and don't need linking.  You should embed one in the other.  If you
chose to use Word as the base document, you'd copy some Excel stuff and
paste it into Word using Paste Special - Excel Object.  Now you have a Word
document with embedded Excel stuff in it.  This seems like the best choice
for your application, thought it couold be vice versa.  Only one file to
tote around, email, etc.  Word would be required to open it, and Excel would
also be required to edit any of the embedded stuff.

--
Earl Kiosterud

"Random NumNuts" <ran@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all...
>
> I have a fairly complex spreadsheet that also incorporates lots of legal
> text. The app allows reps to enter info about prospects, and it computes
> pricing, generates legal documents, and other info. Clearly, EXCEL handles
> the math, but is weak with text.
>
> Depending upon certain inputs, different blocks of text may be used.
>
> Ideal world: utilize the best of both. Question: should I make this a
> WORD_centric document or an EXCEL-centric document, and how to set up the
> links between the two.
>
> Many thanks...   /Randy

0
nowhere1083 (630)
6/2/2004 10:06:28 PM
Depending on how your data is laid out in excel, you may be able to use
mailmerge from MSWord.

Some links:

http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge

The first is from David McRitchie and the second is by Beth Melton and Dave
Rado.

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

I would tend to think this would need to be Excel-driven, if that is the
interface your user has open.  It allows the user to simply enter data, and
then code can "push" the necessary data into the letter.  Or you might
consider a Word template for your letter with an Auto_Open macro that will
read certain cells in your workbook and "make decisions" based on those
values.

HTH
Ed

"Random NumNuts" <ran@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all...
>
> I have a fairly complex spreadsheet that also incorporates lots of legal
> text. The app allows reps to enter info about prospects, and it computes
> pricing, generates legal documents, and other info. Clearly, EXCEL handles
> the math, but is weak with text.
>
> Depending upon certain inputs, different blocks of text may be used.
>
> Ideal world: utilize the best of both. Question: should I make this a
> WORD_centric document or an EXCEL-centric document, and how to set up the
> links between the two.
>
> Many thanks...   /Randy

Randy,

On second thought, if users need to be able to change stuff in the Excel
cells, having it embedded in a Word doc might cause confusion, as users must
know to double-click the Excel stuff to be able to edit it -- they can't
simply click and type.  If they won't have to change the Word stuff, then
maybe it will work better to use Excel as the base doc, and embed the Word
stuff.  A possible detractor in that solution is that most users are used to
being able to click in a box (cell), get a cursor, and start editing what's
there.  With Excel, the user must double-click or press F2 (edit mode) -- if
he just selects the cell and types, anything typed replaces current data.
Not exactly normal interaction.

--
Earl Kiosterud

"Earl Kiosterud" <nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Randy,
>
> It depends in part on the layout you want.  With Excel, you get cells in
> rows and columns, and with Word, you get a page layout.  Either can be
> embedded in the other, and for any updates, the user may need both
programs
> installed.  You don't need to have two separate files - one Excel and one
> Word, and don't need linking.  You should embed one in the other.  If you
> chose to use Word as the base document, you'd copy some Excel stuff and
> paste it into Word using Paste Special - Excel Object.  Now you have a
Word
> document with embedded Excel stuff in it.  This seems like the best choice
> for your application, thought it couold be vice versa.  Only one file to
> tote around, email, etc.  Word would be required to open it, and Excel
would
> also be required to edit any of the embedded stuff.
>
> --
> Earl Kiosterud
> mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net
>
> "Random NumNuts" <ran@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all...
> >
> > I have a fairly complex spreadsheet that also incorporates lots of legal
> > text. The app allows reps to enter info about prospects, and it computes
> > pricing, generates legal documents, and other info. Clearly, EXCEL
handles
> > the math, but is weak with text.
> >
> > Depending upon certain inputs, different blocks of text may be used.
> >
> > Ideal world: utilize the best of both. Question: should I make this a
> > WORD_centric document or an EXCEL-centric document, and how to set up
the
> > links between the two.
> >
> > Many thanks...   /Randy

0
nowhere1083 (630)
6/3/2004 3:16:34 PM
Thanks to all of you weighing in with thoughts -- very helpful. I will be
breaking the app into WORD and pasting (as metafile) info from Excel,
.../RN

0
ran (54)

How do I set up inches per Minute/Second in Excel
I need to know how to take a known inch per Minute and divide by a known measurement and displayed as minutes and seconds. The answer of the equation (minutes and seconds) is where I'm having trouble. Actually, you need to divide your measured length by the known rate (inches per minute). This gives you the number of minutes, but to display using m:ss format you need to divide by 1440, the number of minutes per day (since Excel counts time as the fraction of a day). So put your measurement in A2, your rate in B2, and this formula into C2: =A2/B2/1440 Then format C2 using a custom...

Awesome list of Excel/Word/Powerpoint shortcuts!
Hi, everybody! I recently discovered a great keyboard shortcut list for the office applications. It seems to have practically every shortcut imaginable and it fits on one page too! I printed it out and put on the wall next to my monitor -- just great!. Thought you would appreciate it... Here's the link to the PDF file. Hit print and you're ready to go. http://www.prihodko.com/msoffice/Office_2003_Shortcuts.pdf Lindy Hi Lindy, For Excel, I like Chip Pearson's Excel Keyboard Shortcuts page at: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/KeyboardShortcuts.htm There is also a d...

Excel Functions #2
hi guys, just wondered if anyone knew which function i would use to do this, because im fairly novice with excel: Basically if the cell value is above 110 i want the cell to turn green if the cell value is between 110 and 105 i want it to turn yellow if the cell value is below 105 i want it to turn red any help would be seriously appreciated. thanks spotseven wrote: > hi guys, just wondered if anyone knew which function i would use to > do this, because im fairly novice with excel: > > Basically if the cell value is above 110 i want the cell to turn gr...

How do I delete a text box from an Excel spreadsheet?
Rightclick on it and select cut If the textbox is from the control toolbox toolbar, you may have to click on the designmode icon first. Uncle Binky wrote: -- Dave Peterson ...

Using insert to paste a row--how done in Excel 2007
Hi, In my old version of Excel, I could copy a row or chunk of rows, move to a new spot and use the "insert row" icon to insert the rows and paste it automatically. Now in Office 2007 it just inserts a row instead of what I have copied. I want it the old way! How do I do it? -- Thanks, PTweety R-click, Insert Copied Cells. pickytweety wrote: > Hi, > In my old version of Excel, I could copy a row or chunk of rows, move to a > new spot and use the "insert row" icon to insert the rows and paste it > automatically. Now in Office 2007 it just inserts a r...

Merge to email w/Word and Outlook 2002 security issue
I am trying to merge email using Word and Outlook 2002. This merge consists of about 3000 recipients. When I commence the merge I get an Outlook Security warning that tells me that some outside program is trying to send email using my Outlook profile and I have to click Yes or No. It procedes to ask me for ever single recipient... I'm not going to sit there and say yes for 3000 people. Do you know of a setting somewhere that I can change to not ask me everytime? Thanks, Brian What service pack(s) have you applied? Did you choose HTML as the message format for the merge? -- ...

Can I make a database in Word with Excel Data
I know this may be a "DUH" question, but... I am making a list of area dentists that I have copied and pasted of of the Dex website into Excel. I am wondering if I can take this inf and make a database in Word for printing address labels. Does anyon know if this can be done, and HOW?:confused -- Myn77 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Myn777's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2958 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=49283 For help on Word mail merge using Excel as the...

Opening tab-delimited files in Excel... how to stop the autoformat of dates?
Hello, I'm doing bioinformatics work in which I often download tab-delimited files describing genomes and open them in Excel. Unfortunately, Excel decides that genes with names like APR1 and SEP7 are actually dates, and reformats them as such. This is a huge headache, as I often don't notice these problems until much later. Is there anyway to completely disable this date autoformatting? I've searched high and low and have yet to find a solution. Thanks! P.S. I'm using Excel 2002 -- salamander ------------------------------------------------------------------------ sa...

Saving Excel workbook in SQL server using c#
Could anyone please help me out as to how we can save the excel workbook in the database and read it back. I was able to convert the text files and image files into binary format and save them to the DB and finally able to retrive them back in the same format. But was unable to do same for the excel object. Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, regards, jitender ...

Excel's localization of scientific notation
Does Excel use "E+" and "E-" for scientific notation for all locales? Or are there some locales for which it uses different characters? Thanks, Greg I'm pretty sure that the E is universal. If it were not, it would have been in the list of international symbols. Look here for more info about international issues: http://www.rondebruin.nl/international.htm#strings -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "Greg Lovern" <gregl@gregl.net> wrote in message news:82e5afbe-a4ba-4f5f-ac41-ac7b41519d67@h40g2000prf.googl...

2003 excel
I would like to change the cell color if there is a "r" found in it. All the cells are in the same colum and there are also numbers in the cells with the "r". Can anyone help ? Assume data in col A Select the col, then apply conditional formatting using Formula Is: =ISNUMBER(SEARCH("r",A1)) Format to taste > OK out Replace SEARCH with FIND if you need it to be case sensitive -- Max Singapore http://savefile.com/projects/236895 Downloads:16,400 Files:356 Subscribers:53 xdemechanik --- "Dave" wrote: > I would like to change the cell color if ...

Access ODBC problem: Excel cannot get float columns
I need some help I'm trying to get Access external data from an Excel workbook, using the MS Query feature. Everything is ok except when I try to fetch some tables that ODBC refuses to get data from. The error message tells that the MS Access ODBC driver doesn't allow some columns to be transmited because of its number of characters. The most strange thing is that I can see the data from MS Query correctly, but I caannot get it back from Excel. After some tries, I thing it occurs only with real typed columns. Can anybody help me? I use Windows XP Home + Office 2000 spanish versio...

HELP: Excel userform version control issue
Hi All, I have an excel userform that is posted on my companys intranet. The issue I am having is, users are saving this form to their hard drive and then using it(Instead of launching it everytime from intranet), SO basically when I have a new version of form on intranet they still use the old version as they have a habbit of saving it on their hard drive. Is there a way to resove this? something like they would see a popup message saying that "This is an older version that you are using, Please launch the form from Intranet for newer version". Thanks in advan...

Error in code exportin tables to excel
I'm tryin to export a table to excel with the code: Private Sub Command4_Click() On Error GoTo Err_Command0_Click Dim stDocName As String stDocName = "F01_UT" DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acExport, acSpreadsheetTypeExcel9, F01_UT, "C:\TRY\Tbls", True Exit_Command0_Click: Exit Sub Err_Command0_Click: MsgBox Err.Description Resume Exit_Command0_Click End Sub However, Access displays the message: Compile error : Syntax error What I'm doing wrong? If I want to export more tablas do I have to write more lines (DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acExport, acSpr...

Spinning Beach Ball
I seem to notice a correlation between seeing the spinning beach ball more often after launching MS Word for OSX. I removed the PDFMaker.Lib and this improved the performance a great deal, but still noticing the SBB more often after launching Word. Anyone know about this? Many Word issues are related to corrupt Word Settings or Normal Template. You could try removing the Word Settings file, then testing. The Normal Template could be renamed, then test. Be sure Word is closed before removing or changing any files. You could also consider running the Remove Office utility and reinstalling Offi...

DVD+R vs DVD+RW
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01CA91F8.D0BDD860 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Is there a difference between DVD+R and DVD+RW? Seems when I burn to a DVD+R I'm unable to erase the disc. I am told = that it is Write-Protected by Vista Basic when I try to re-format it. But I'm able to erase and re-format the DVD+RW. James ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01CA91F8.D0BDD860 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-p...

emailing spreadsheet within excel
I have a user that has sent her spreadsheet as an attachment using the Send To Function. We use Outlook. Now, it seems as if the Send To option has lost its settings and is now trying to set up an Internet account instead of using the Microsoft Exchange Settings. Anyone know how to reset the Send To settings in Excel? Thanks! ...

How do I import data from a SECURED website into Excel?
I can import data from a regular web page directly into Excel spreadsheet, but when I tried importing them from a secured site I encountered problems. Does anyone have any suggestions? ...

Quotation mark key produces << instead of " in Word doc from PC
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I am updating a document that was created in Word on a PC several years ago. When I viewed it all the ' had become =. I found out in the forum how to fix that. But more important, I do not seem to be able to type a quotation mark. When I hit Shift &quot;, I get a symbol that looks like a doubled >. The symbol doesn't even exist on my keyboard. I suspect that I can go to Insert, Symbols, and get the proper &quot;, but this is a syllabus for a class that I teach year after year, updating t...

Transfer Macro in Excel
I am trying to transfer informtion in one sheet to another sheet in the same workbook. I have a macro to process this information from the first sheet to the second. I keep getting an error in this Process macro at the line. Application.Goto REFERENCE:=Range("END") The first sheet is called ProblemSheet and the second sheet is called Processed. The line above is taken from the process macro on the ProblemSheet page. Do I have to name a certain cell as "END" on either sheet? Any help with this would be really appreciated. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com...

Excel #2
College text asks students how to save a file with a preview? I assume a print preview? Any suggestions? Choose File>Properties On the Summary tab, check 'Save preview picture. Click OK Tech Coor wrote: > College text asks students how to save a file with a preview? I assume a print preview? Any suggestions? -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

Broken x-axis in excel
Hi. I want to create a chart, where my x axis contains values within a range above zero, and to a given value. So far so good. My problem involves that i want the axis itself to show that there is a break from zero to my given value (marked with a Z-like sign), wich excel does not automaticly do. Is this possible to acheive? I have seen charts vith this prefix, but there is no such function, or description of how to do it in the "help register". Thank you. -- ketil This page shows one approach, and links to a couple others: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/BrokenYAxis....

is my excel corrupt? VLOOKUP
I was having problems with a huge spreadsheet using VLOOKUP so I tried a small simple table and I'm getting some strange results can someone have a look here http://www.naldernet.plus.com/holding/vlookup.xls and explain why if you type "horn" at B14 does it return the result of B5 ? thanks in advance probably something really stupid I missed in the VLOOKUP formula -- Vass "Vass" <mark.nalder_TRAPTHESPAM_@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:EuqdnTraeqlpM3XfRVnyuw@eclipse.net.uk... > I was having problems with a huge spreadsheet using VLOOKUP > so I t...

How can I do an hourly salary calculation in Excel
How can i do a simple hours (and minutes) x hourly rate calculation and have it display the correct amount in local currency If you are using excel time formats, assume a time value is in A2 and you want to multiply with an hourly rate =A2*24*rate format as currency -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please) "AndyM" <AndyM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4EE0E905-3139-4B70-8119-03A0B2FD4575@microsoft.com... > How can i do a simple hours (and minutes) x hourly rate calculation and > have > it display the correct amount in local cur...