Word Mail merge lables from .xls document

Office 2000 Windows XP Pro: I am trying to create  Avery 8160 lables in WORD
form an Excel database. . My sequence in WORD is as follows. Tools>Mail
Merge>Create Main Document>Mailing Lables> Active Window>Get Data>Open Data
Source. When I get to into folder that contains the .xls file the only files
listed in that folder are WORD files. When I click on the File Type drop down
menu at the botton of the OPEN DATA SOURCE window, the only options I have
are "All Word Documents", "Word documents", "Web pages", "Rich text format",
"Text files and "MS Access databases" (for what it's worth I don't even have
M.S.Access but I do have Excel.). There is no "All Files" or "Excel
databases" option. I have done this successfully in the past with Office 2000
and XP Pro but it is not working now. Help
0
ibexx (10)
12/19/2005 8:06:06 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Go to Start>Settings>Control Panel>Data Sources(ODBC)>User DSN and see what is
listed.

If Excel not listed, click Add and follow the route.

If Excel is listed check Configuration and follow the route.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 12:06:06 -0800, "ibexx" <ibexx@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Office 2000 Windows XP Pro: I am trying to create  Avery 8160 lables in WORD
>form an Excel database. . My sequence in WORD is as follows. Tools>Mail
>Merge>Create Main Document>Mailing Lables> Active Window>Get Data>Open Data
>Source. When I get to into folder that contains the .xls file the only files
>listed in that folder are WORD files. When I click on the File Type drop down
>menu at the botton of the OPEN DATA SOURCE window, the only options I have
>are "All Word Documents", "Word documents", "Web pages", "Rich text format",
>"Text files and "MS Access databases" (for what it's worth I don't even have
>M.S.Access but I do have Excel.). There is no "All Files" or "Excel
>databases" option. I have done this successfully in the past with Office 2000
>and XP Pro but it is not working now. Help
0
Gord
12/19/2005 8:50:44 PM
Gordon,
Thanks for the prompt reply. Excel is listed in the data source
administrator. When I enter Configure I see Data Source Name "Excel Files",
Description is empty, Database version is "Excl 97-2000", Options>Driver rows
to scan "8">Select Workbook>database name "xls". Where do I go from here?

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> Go to Start>Settings>Control Panel>Data Sources(ODBC)>User DSN and see what is
> listed.
>
> If Excel not listed, click Add and follow the route.
>
> If Excel is listed check Configuration and follow the route.
>

> Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>

> On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 12:06:06 -0800, "ibexx" <ibexx@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Office 2000 Windows XP Pro: I am trying to create  Avery 8160 lables in WORD
> >form an Excel database. . My sequence in WORD is as follows. Tools>Mail
> >Merge>Create Main Document>Mailing Lables> Active Window>Get Data>Open Data
> >Source. When I get to into folder that contains the .xls file the only files
> >listed in that folder are WORD files. When I click on the File Type drop down
> >menu at the botton of the OPEN DATA SOURCE window, the only options I have
> >are "All Word Documents", "Word documents", "Web pages", "Rich text format",
> >"Text files and "MS Access databases" (for what it's worth I don't even have
> >M.S.Access but I do have Excel.). There is no "All Files" or "Excel
> >databases" option. I have done this successfully in the past with Office 2000
> >and XP Pro but it is not working now. Help

0
ibexx (10)
12/19/2005 9:46:01 PM
Never having had to go through this operation, I am just about as lost as you
are<g>

When I click on Help it lists the options.  Try pointing to your Excel
workbook thorugh the "Select Workbook" option.

You say you used to be able to use Excel as a source for Word mailmerge.

Have you changed your computer set up since?

That is a pretty skimpy list of sources in the File Types dialog.

I have at least 20 options.

Not familiar with Office 2000(97, 2002 and 2003 installed).

Is there a "detect and repair" on Excel Help?

Can you you repair Office through Control Panel>Add/remove?

Sorry. I'm not being much help other than chasing you around.

I don't know why you have such a short list of sources.

You sure you scrolled all the way down in the list box?

Gord

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 13:46:01 -0800, "ibexx" <ibexx@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Gordon,
>Thanks for the prompt reply. Excel is listed in the data source
>administrator. When I enter Configure I see Data Source Name "Excel Files",
>Description is empty, Database version is "Excl 97-2000", Options>Driver rows
>to scan "8">Select Workbook>database name "xls". Where do I go from here?
>
>"Gord Dibben" wrote:
>
>> Go to Start>Settings>Control Panel>Data Sources(ODBC)>User DSN and see what is
>> listed.
>>
>> If Excel not listed, click Add and follow the route.
>>
>> If Excel is listed check Configuration and follow the route.
>>

>> Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>>

>> On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 12:06:06 -0800, "ibexx" <ibexx@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Office 2000 Windows XP Pro: I am trying to create  Avery 8160 lables in WORD
>> >form an Excel database. . My sequence in WORD is as follows. Tools>Mail
>> >Merge>Create Main Document>Mailing Lables> Active Window>Get Data>Open Data
>> >Source. When I get to into folder that contains the .xls file the only files
>> >listed in that folder are WORD files. When I click on the File Type drop down
>> >menu at the botton of the OPEN DATA SOURCE window, the only options I have
>> >are "All Word Documents", "Word documents", "Web pages", "Rich text format",
>> >"Text files and "MS Access databases" (for what it's worth I don't even have
>> >M.S.Access but I do have Excel.). There is no "All Files" or "Excel
>> >databases" option. I have done this successfully in the past with Office 2000
>> >and XP Pro but it is not working now. Help

0
Gord

Combining Landscape and Portrait pages in a single document
While it was not possible in Publisher 2003, is there a chance that it is now possible in Publisher 2007 to have a landscape page in a portrait document? ...

Problem after e-mail server re-start
Hi, I have the prblem for OWA users to access the Exchange server every times re-started the server, and Outlook users using IMAP connection also experience delays or hangs. The following is found in the event log Source: W3SVC Event ID: 101 The server was unable to add the virtual root '/Exchange' for the directory 'M:\speedsourcing.com\MBX' due to the following error: The system cannot find the path specified. The data is the error code. From the Internet Services Manager, paths for Exchange, ExchWeb & Exadmin are all unavailable. The first two can be manually r...

Show this folder as an e-mail Address Book #2
Hi all, I have just created a new contacts list in our public folders. When I go to all the workstations, the "Show this folder as an e-mail Address Book" is unchecked. To save me going to all workstations and checking this setting, is there some way I can set it to "Show this folder as an e-mail Address Book" automatically? Cheers Marty... ....ms... <martin@adg.com.au> wrote: > Hi all, > > I have just created a new contacts list in our public folders. > When I go to all the workstations, the "Show this folder as an e-mail > Address Book&q...

batch importing of mailing lists to Excel
I've got a mailing list of around 1000 names, stored in both Word and Entourage like this: First Name Last Name <e-mail address> Once I’ve eliminated the < >, do I then have to individually copy & paste (or type) all the info in three Excel columns? Or is there a simpler solution for batch importing of mailing lists to the Excel spreadsheet? "bgsignal" wrote: > I've got a mailing list of around 1000 names, stored in both Word and > Entourage like this: First Name Last Name <e-mail address> > Once I’ve eliminated the < >, do I then ...

merge cells with a twist
A B C joe @ domain.com trying to merge cells in a row so that column a(joe) b(@) c(domain.com) and that result is joe@domain.com Thank you. =A1&B1&C1 -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please) "jd" <jdumont@@novuscom.net> wrote in message news:uaAWelbgFHA.3436@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... >A B C > joe @ domain.com > > trying to merge cells in a row so that column a(joe) b(@) c(domain.com) > and > that result is joe@domain.com > Thank you. > > =hyper...

Deleting a word from a Cell
Hi Can anyone help, i am trying to deletel the last word from a Cell My cell currently read: - M04274059519 Total and I need a formula that will delete the "total" word Would really appreciate some help linexe On Jan 21, 7:27=A0am, Linexe <l.clark...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote: > Hi > > Can anyone help, i am trying to deletel the last word from a Cell > > My cell currently read: - =A0M04274059519 Total > > and I need a formula that will delete the "total" word > > Would really appreciate some help > > linexe C...

Merged cells not copied properly
With some frequency, we have noted that cells are unmerged when copied. Generally speaking, we are copying a row and pasting it or inserting it in a new location. However, the clone is not always a clone, because the merged cells in the original are often unmerged either into smaller merged groups or into individual cells. Anyone have any idea what is going on here? ...

Mail Merge from Outlook Skips Records or doesn't merge at all
Outlook 2002 with Windows XP I set up a mail merge from Outlook with several contacts. The document seems fine, I can see all the recipients when I "view merged data" and in the "mail merge recipients" but when I complete the merge into a new document only 2 records are merged. When I switched to labels I received an error message "data records were empty or no record matched query". I've set the merge up "saving the contact data file to another document" and not saving it, neither worked. ...

How to convert xls to plain ascii text.
How do you convert xls to plain ascii text without having to install anything on the computer? have you tried File Save As .txt?? <dsaklad@zurich.csail.mit.edu> wrote in message news:1118187884.729493.209610@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > How do you convert xls to plain ascii text without having to install > anything on the computer? > ...

2002 data merge
I have a database of 50 names that I would like to print out as individual labes on a standard 81/2" X 11" sheet of paper. I would like 10 labels per page and can work out the page layout in Publisher 2002. When I go to merge my Works database of the 50 names, I obviously only have one "field" to insert. As you can see where this is going, when I do my merge, I get a sheet with 10 labels of the same name. How do I get it to merge a different name in each label? I went to the following websites: http://www.kvalheim.org http://www.users.bigpond.com/auslandline/publisher/ and...

Junk Mail Filter Update
I just installed the latest Update for Outlook 2003 Junk-Email Filter (KB956077) thought Windows Update (Vista Home Premium) and now my Junk mail filter isn't working at all. What do I need to do to get it back working? Thanks I also had a problem after installing this - plus a few other updates from Windows. My problem was different - none of my Office 2003 applications would start up! To recover I used the System Restore utility ( Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | System Restore ) and restored my system to the point just before the updates were applied. Try it ...

lost toolbar in win word and outlook
i could use some help. my toolbar has disappeared in word and when i use word as my email editor in outlook. i have tried a couple of online suggestions, but to no avail. i want to remove office then do a reinstall. it seems like my only choice right now. Hi - I can't help you (sorry) because I'm having the same problem as you are. I just posted my subject earlier tonight also. -".... Can't edit a forwarded message when using plain text ...When forwarding a message using plain text, I can not edit, underline, change,font, etc". I haven't rec'd any replies ...

What happened to my saved document?
I imported a document from email, proceded to work on it and make changes and hit the save button a few times while I was making corrections. I closed out of publisher and went back a few hours later and now can not find where my document was saved. If you remember the file name or any part of it you can do a Search for it. Start Search Files or Folders All files or folders All or part of the file name The Look in box will default to show all drives - don't change Click "Search" When you see it in the results window note the path. Good luck, -- Don Vancouver USA ...

distribution lists sending out multiple mails
Hi, This a rather odd problem. My client has a distribution list setup with about 50 members. Sometimes when he sends an e-mail through the list some of the members receive 5 of the same e-mail. This does not happen to all of the members, only some of them. And the results are not consistent with everytime he sends an e-mail through the list. Just wondering if anyone has seen this. Possibly it's a problem on the recipients end. Any ideas? I am experiencing the same problem in Outlook 2003 with messages sen from a bcc list. Did you receive any answers that might be helpful t...

Inserting chart AND related table in document
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Inside of a Word document, I have inserted a new table which has a corresponding chart. Everything works fine and updates as I enter new information. <br><br>What I want to do is have both the chart and the table in my document, as the table has a details field I want people to see that is not reflected in the chart. AFAIK, the chart cannot display anything not directly related to it. A data table can be included but that won't satisfy what I understand your requirement to be. You can also ...

Auto dialer occurs when receiving html mail
I am using OL2000 and have been having some trouble with the autodialer coming up when I just click on a message sent to me that has what I assume is HTML. The problem is that if that message is the most recent message in my inbox then when OL auto connects on its regular hourly schedule my mail delivery fails. The other problem is I don't want to auto connect to the web every time I select that particular type of message. Any suggestions? Hi Michelle, look under TOOLS | OPTIONS | MAIL SETUP send immediately when connected deaktivate under that option you have the dial up opti...

Document Map
Hi, Is there a way to remove the Document Map/Thumbnails selector bar at the top of the Document Map in Word 2007 so that it is like previous versions? It takes up two valuable heading spaces and I NEVER use Thumbnails. I hope Word 2010 has the option of removing that annoying bar. Thanks, Martin Gifford. As far as I know, you cannot remove it. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "martin gifford" <martingifford@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EB25489A-4A12-45AF-8BD4-D66E29DBDC52@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > Is there a way ...

How do you replace a work sheet in excel with a word document?
I want a worksheet in excel to be a word document. Using the embedding application will not suffice. Basically Sheet 1 will not have columns and rows but will be a word document. Sheet 2 will be a wordsheet. Why the need? Basically if word and excel can be saved in the same work book, in respect of project work it would be time saving, efficient and effective. Assuming you also don't want to (or can't due to your version) create a binder, consider this approach: 1. Select and copy the text in your Word document. 2. Switch to Excel and select A1 on a blank worksheet. 3. Select Ed...

Web-based Outlook bug: Cannot open mail when the subject field ends with a . (dot) character
From web-based Outlook, you cannot open any mail with the subject field ends with "." (dot) character. Outlook web will return HTTP 404: The page cannot be found. It's URLScan doing this. See http://support.microsoft.com/?id=325965 -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links and tips, check: http://www.msexchangeblog.com "Ken Jones" <ken888j@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:bb0d99.0406161345.6e30c8f@posting.google.com... > From web-based Outlook, you cannot open any mail with the subject > field ends with "." (dot) character. > &...

Macro in Personal.xls
Hi, im using Excel 2003. I have recorded a macro for some formating things and sored it in personal.xls. The Problem is when i open more than one excel at a time it is notifying that Personal.xls is read only how can i avoid this! Thanx in advance Hi Mohan, Given that you can open multiple workbooks in a single instance of Excel, why are you opening multiple instances of Excel? If you do have a requirement to open more than one instance of Excel, then Personal.xls can only be opened as read-only in subsequent instances. --- Regards, Norman "Mohan" <Mohan@discussio...

Mail-merge for e-mail
When using the mail-merge functions in order to send personalized e-mails to each of the students (e.g. how each did in his/her exam, what individual grade they obtained, which questions they answered wrongly, etc.), I set up an Excel spreadsheet that has each of the fields I need. The process works very well all the way to what appears to be the last, or next to the last step. That is, I get to review the individual e-mails, they look fine, and I get to enter the e-mail's subject. But, when I finally click on Ok to submit the e-mail, it does not perform the function. In one instance, I sa...

Sending e-mails on the correct server for the Hotmail system
I can no longer use http to send e-mails. what can I do to line up with what my computer will allow to send e-mails to other servers Windows Mail, this email client which this newsgroup supports until = group closure, does not support the http protocol(currently=20 called DeltaSync for Hotmail accounts) - you have three options for Hotmail type accounts(Live.com, = Hotmail.com, Msn.com and similar derivatives of the same domaian e.g.=20 live.uk.com, live.nl etc) 1. Windows Live Mail 2. Outlook 2003 and greater and only with the Outlook Hotmail Connector = installed 3. Browser acce...

Not receiving mail 01-31-10
I noticed yesterday, 1/30/10 that some of my emails where not being received with WLM on my laptop with windows 7. First time ever having this problem and I have checked everything from "leaving a copy on server" to making sure "show all messages" was active in the view tab. This must be an issue outside of WLM setup and a server problem that needs to be reported (if it has not already). Notice how many complaints of not receiving mail where reported 1/30/10 and virtually none the day prior (1/29/10). Is "View by conversation" checked? If so, un...

Individualized Mail
I have a personal contacts lists and a group or our Exchange 2003 GAL that I would like to send a mass mail to; however, I would like the recipients to get the mail ONLY with their name as the recipients (customized feel). How can I do this or what is this called exactly? On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 15:54:08 -0600, "JD" <jd@mail.com> wrote: >I have a personal contacts lists and a group or our Exchange 2003 GAL that I >would like to send a mass mail to; however, I would like the recipients to >get the mail ONLY with their name as the recipients (customized feel). > >H...

auto-forwards resulting in mail loops
Is there any safe way to allow auto-forwards to the Internet without risking a mail loop situation (eg. remote mailbox fills up and sends an NDR back to your originating address, which of course forwards that NDR, which again bounces etc etc) I seem to recall that in 5.5 a user's mailbox limit wouldn't even stop the NDRs from being sent or received, leaving you with the potential of filling your drives and crashing your server because of a single message being forwarded to an external account. Is this still the case, or has that been corrected in Exchange 2003 so that once the...