Won't Open Spreadsheet

When I double-click on any spreadsheet, excel will open but crash/hang and it
won't open the spreadsheet.

If I open Excel then choose File->open, the spreadsheet will work fine.

I'm using Windows XP Pro and Office XP.

Any Ideas?

Thanks
0
Kevin105 (377)
2/22/2005 4:25:06 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

I just had the same problem.  Try tools>options>general and uncheck ignore
other applications.

That will probably do it.

"Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I double-click on any spreadsheet, excel will open but crash/hang and
> it
> won't open the spreadsheet.
>
> If I open Excel then choose File->open, the spreadsheet will work fine.
>
> I'm using Windows XP Pro and Office XP.
>
> Any Ideas?
>
> Thanks

0
2dinst (2)

Opening Word
When I open Word 2007 - it opens with a (template?) to make a header - on the page. I want it to open with a completely blank page with my default margins and type style. Thank you See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/BlankDocNotBlank.htm. -- Regards, Jay Freedman Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so all may benefit. On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 11:46:01 -0800, heread <heread@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >When I open Word 2007 - it opens with a (template?) to make a hea...

Outlook Not responding when I open it despite reboots
My outlook 2002 on my laptop with XP will not start. The window opens and it tries to get my mail but locks up and says this program is not responding. On the error message that it wants you to send to microsoft the following is listed: szAppName: szAppVer: 0.0.0.0. szModName: hungapp szModVer: 0.0.0.0. offset: 0000000 I have shut down the network, rebooted multiple times, virus scanned, etc. and it still won't work. Was working fine when I went to bed last night. HELPPPPP!!! Pleaseee!!!! Can't do my business without my email. THanks Holly ...

I haven't opened it
Somehow all messages hitting my Inbox are showing as opened. I am running on Exchange 2003 and also use Good Software to push email to my phone. Also shows as opend on my phone. As far as I know I am the only person in the organization that this is happening to. Any thoughts as to what could be causing this? On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 06:29:08 -0700, "NOBI" <NOBI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Somehow all messages hitting my Inbox are showing as opened. I am running on >Exchange 2003 and also use Good Software to push email to my phone. Also >shows as opend on my p...

Toggling "Shutter Bar Open-Close Button"
I have looked but can't find a way to control Toggling "Shutter Bar Open/Close Button" within a module. Any ideas? Additionally, I would be interested in expanding and contracting what is visible in the Shutter Bar (Navigation Bar). ...

Files will not open.
I loaded Pub 2003 but cannot open previous Pub 98 files. Noton Virus is not the problem as the prevoius Pub 98 files as Norton was not installed. Greetings, I wanted to provide a bit more information on my problem. I have 2 computers, one with Publisher 98 and one with Publisher 2003. I have a bunch of files made in Publisher 98 that won't open in Publisher 2003. When I try and click on a publisher file or open the file from within Publisher 2003, I get the error "Publisher cannot open the file". The files are not corrupted during the copy process, because if I copy them ba...

Can I make a graph using several tabs in an excel spreadsheet
This might be what you're looking for: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ChartFromDiffSheets.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services - Tutorials and Custom Solutions - http://PeltierTech.com/ 2006 Excel User Conference, 19-21 April, Atlantic City, NJ http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ExcelUserConf06.html _______ "Sheila" <Sheila@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B348DD7D-61C5-48E8-B47B-D8ACC79E7723@microsoft.com... > ...

Pick up date for Charts from the Spreadsheet
I have a workbook with one data sheet and several charts which represent weekly activity. I want to be able to pick up the title of the charts from the spreadsheet, e.g. "Sales Activity for Week Ending April 7, 2006". This title information is contained in a cell in the spreadsheet. How do I get it to display at the top of each chart without having to manually type it in the title area under Chart Options? Wilfred: Here' a link to a post I have on dynamic titles that sounds like what you are looking for. http://processtrends.com/pg_chart_dynamic_chart_title.htm I ...

Open Office and Microsoft Works
How can I get my browser to choose the spread sheet from Open Office instead of Microsoft Works' when trying to open an XLS file? As it stands the latter automatically opens it. Windows Vista Home Premium SP2, 32 bit and IE 8. The reason: the file doesn't open properly as is, IOW a calendar shows up in sections of four and incomplete as such. TIA, Harry. "webster72n" <webster72n@gmail.com> wrote in message news:OU2jlY#lKHA.4148@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > How can I get my browser to choose the spread sheet from Open Office > instead of Mic...

Outlook 2000 slow at opening new emails
Hello... We have a WinXP Pro laptop on a NT network with Outlook 2000 on it, the laptop has a standard network conection and syncs emails when off-line. It also has a bluetooth connection, but the default connection is a standard network port. When a new email comes in and the user tries to open the email Outlook hangs. We did do a system restore which seemed to help but the problem comes back again. No new software had been added so I'm not sure why a system restore worked, initially. Could it be something to do with the network connection and email sync...or what? It's the company ...

External Links on open and Excel 2003
I am opening a spreadsheet in Excel 2003 that contains links to external sources. This spreadsheet was created in Excel 97. When I open it, I am prompted to update or not update. I choose don't update, as I don't have the linked files. BUT, it seems that Excel tries to update anyway because it is the same result as if I hit update, and all of my values are gone. This seems to be a change from excel 97 as excel 97 left the values. Any ideas? I likely have a default setting incorrect somewhere. Thanks! --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ khoff Wrote...

Opening file from an item loses Word document properties
Hello, I have just discovered that when you double-click a Word file attached to an appointment item (although I imagine it will be the same for other items too), Outlook does not open the actual file, but takes a copy and puts it in the temp folder and opens that. This is a pain as it mucks up some of the automation coding I have done, but what's worse is that the copy doesn't seem to have the custom properties I have set. Is there any way of forcing Outlook to open the original, instead of a copy? Failing that, any ideas why the custom document property would have been lost...

Open Publisher 2003 in Publisher 2000
I've created a document in Publisher 2003 at home. I've sent it to my Office where we have Publisher 2000 and find I can't open it. Is there anything I can do to open it? Save as... a 2000 document at home. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Nalp30" <Nalp30@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4002B348-7FF3-4CB0-A53E-1115001605CE@microsoft.com... > I've created a document in Publisher 2003 at home. I've sent it to my Office > where we have Publisher 2000 and fin...

Sharing excel spreadsheets in public folders
I have put an excel spread sheet in our public folders , only a couple of people have permission to write to the spread sheet. If two of them open it at once a conflict error is thrown back. Is it possible to give the first person to open it write access - as would be the norm with excel? It seemed a simple solution as it allowed people from non trusted domains to view the file. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks is there just one public folder store or is is replicated to other servers? "ed" <eddie.meadows@ntlworld.com> wrote in news:1Lz3e.1036$DP.542@newsfe6...

Exporting from Smartlist to Dynamic Excel Spreadsheet
Hi, I have a smartlist in GP V10.0 that shows me Purchase Order line items that are outstanding with our suppliers. I currently export to Excel to track shipments as they arrive. My question is "How do I export the smartlist as a Dynamic Excel Spreadsheet so that it automatically updates each time I open it rather than my current manual update?" Thanks. Wayne The optimal solution is to create an excel sheet that has your Company database as the datasource to get updated records when needed. Regards, -- Mohammad R. Daoud MVP, MCP, MCBMSP, MCTS, MCBMSS Mob: +962 - 79 -999 6...

help needed! can't open my pst file
hi.. need your expetise... :) im really desperate to open my pst files. im having a hard time to open it. i encountered errors when opening the file. like: this file is not a personal folders file. i already tried to run scanpst.exe, but no good. tried to import/export files but really cant get through. even tried the data file management option.. but still no luck! :( need help... please.. i can send you the file to try it on.. :) please advise.. thanks in advance, bambz Sorry, but the most basic information is missing - version of Outlook and where the .pst file is stored. --� Milly ...

Can Excel open a new application for every file opened?
We have someone who wants a new application of Excel to open every time they open a file. Where is the setting for this? I'm going to hope that they actually just want to see an Excel icon on the task bar for each workbook that is open. (Creating a new instance of the Excel application for each file opened is generally a bad idea for many reasons) So, try this: Tools>Options>View Select: Windows in Taskbar Does that help? *********** Regards, Ron "shoon" wrote: > We have someone who wants a new application of Excel to open every time they > open a file. ...

Impossible to open Money
Hello, I just installed Money 2005 (came in a bundle Works Suite 2006) on my WinXP. I entered my user name and password of my Microsoft Passport. But it says it's ot the good ones and closes he program ! So I never saw a sheet of this program ! 1) On which criteria is it thinking it's not the good username and password ??? Does it check the name of my Computer or the name in my Outlook Express, or the name in my bank account, and want it to be the same as in my Passport account ??? 2) Is it possible to use it without internet connexion ? 3) Is there any other software I could use, t...

open exe files and updating ppc
well i have problem open exe files is any way to work around ? i'm using ofice outlook 2003 and also whe i use the feature ce inbox transfer say the ce tinbox transfer will not work with this device i'm using a pocket pc 1910 fromp compaq is there any place to get more info or a wayt o fix this problem ? thx in advanced for your answers ...

creating multiple files from a spreadsheet
I have a spreadsheet created from Project which lists all tasks, the associated resources, hours etc. I need to take the spreadsheet and generate a time sheet for each resource. Is there a way to do this so the file names will contain the resource's name? I can save it to the same drive and filename each time but the resources could change (new resources added) week to week. So, I need a file created for each resource listed in the spreadsheet. The new spreadsheets would then have each task for each resource in its own spreadsheet. -- Carol Summa Carol, I asked the same ques...

Macro dialog box when opening worksheet
Is there anyway to disable the dialog box that warns a user that a macro is attached to a workbook? That is controlled in the user's installation of Excel under the security settings, I am not aware of a way to disable this notification without actually changing the settings on the computer (Tools -> Macros -> Security)... cheers, NeB gafrueh wrote: > Is there anyway to disable the dialog box that warns a user that a macro is attached to a workbook? Hi if this would be possible this security feature would be useless. You cans et the security level to 'Low' (men...

How do you force ypur app to try to open files of any extension?
I have an MFC app that opens files with .jpg and .tif extensions. Those extensions are defined in the string table as so: IDR_DCSTIFTYPE "\nDCS TIFF\nDCS TIFF File\nDCS TIFF Files (*.tif)\n.tif\nDCSTIFFFile\nDCS TIFF File" IDR_DCSJPEGTYPE "\nArchive\nDCS JPEG File\nDCS JPEG Files (*.jpg)\n.jpg\nDCSJPEGFile\nDCS JPEG File" These strings are registered with my program like this: m_ptTemplate_TIF_Preview = new CMultiDocTemplate( IDR_DCSTIFTYPE, RUNTIME_CLASS(CPreviewDoc), RUNTIME_CLASS(CChildFrame), // custom MDI child frame RUNTIME_CLASS(CPDPreviewVi...

Outlook Express 6.0 dbx files can't be opened
I messed up and deleted my identity on Outlook Express. OLE6 says the dbx files exist, but I see no information on how to access them. I tried rebuilding the original identity, but found OLE6 assigned a new, unique identity code every time one creates an identity anew. Does anyone know how I can "restore"/gain access to my OLE dbx file & folders? Cliff Stubbs This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97-2003 from the Office family for Windows PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE...

Help! Money Plus Trial. Cannot Open My Mny File
I have two mny accounts in money plus trial. I can open mny file A. When I click to open mny file b, I am asked to type my windows live id and password, which are pre-filled form fields. I click "Sign In" When it tries to sign in, it stops and says, "Money has detected that you did not close the file "xxx.mny" before exiting. Money now needs to verify the informationin your file. Do you want to do this now? ..." I click "yes" do it now and it says " the email address or password is incorrect. Try again." Well, I've been ...

Labeling shapes on a spreadsheet via VBA
Sorry for the crosspost (also in microsoft.public.excel), but my multi-post didn't work. I've got an Access application in which I have a routine to build a visual representation of several project timelines on an Excel spreadsheet. I'm putting the months in Row 1, days of the month in row 2 (columnwidth=2), and on each successive row, I'm adding a description in Column 1, and several shapes that depict: 1. a line depicting the span of the project 2. several boxes depicting interim events along the project timeline 3. a textbox that describes each of these...

how do i watermark an excel spreadsheet?
office 2000, would like to have watermark behind text in spreadsheet, to appear centre page, almost full size of page. I believe watermarks are put on through your printer properties / effects -- grizz "rsl" wrote: > office 2000, would like to have watermark behind text in spreadsheet, to > appear centre page, almost full size of page. Hi rsl, Run this in the sheet module and see what has to be tweeked to suit your needs. Can change the number of sheets as needed as well as the watermark wording and font size. Change the "For Page = 1 To 1 ...