Why does Excel try to access Internet when it starts?

Lately whenever I start Excel, Zone Alarm informs me that Excel is trying to
access the Internet. I checked the "startup" folders in the Office
installation folder and there is nothing there.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Charlie

0
Charlie
3/19/2006 1:42:27 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

In Excel 2003 there are a couple of settings you can check:

Choose Help > Customer Feedback Options
Select "No, I don't wish to participate."
In the Category list at the left, select Online Content
Remove the check mark from "Show content and links from Microsoft Office
Online "
Click OK.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)
3/19/2006 4:02:03 PM
What about Excel XP (2002)???

I have a user where this just started for no apparent reason?

What is causing it, and how to turn it off??

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 11:02:03 -0500, Debra Dalgleish
<dsd@contexturesXSPAM.com> wrote:

>In Excel 2003 there are a couple of settings you can check:
>
>Choose Help > Customer Feedback Options
>Select "No, I don't wish to participate."
>In the Category list at the left, select Online Content
>Remove the check mark from "Show content and links from Microsoft Office
>Online "
>Click OK.
>

>Charlie wrote:
>> Lately whenever I start Excel, Zone Alarm informs me that Excel is trying to
>> access the Internet. I checked the "startup" folders in the Office
>> installation folder and there is nothing there.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any help.
>> Charlie

If I remember correctly, those settings are in xl2002, too, er, also.

--

Dave Peterson
0

I reccomend uninstalling it from every machine everywhere...

Teach your beancounters a real program like crystal reports for example

Dave Peterson wrote:
> If I remember correctly, those settings are in xl2002, too, er, also.
>
> NewMan wrote:
> >
> > What about Excel XP (2002)???
> >
> > I have a user where this just started for no apparent reason?
> >
> > What is causing it, and how to turn it off??
> >
> > On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 11:02:03 -0500, Debra Dalgleish
> > <dsd@contexturesXSPAM.com> wrote:
> >
> > >In Excel 2003 there are a couple of settings you can check:
> > >
> > >Choose Help > Customer Feedback Options
> > >Select "No, I don't wish to participate."
> > >In the Category list at the left, select Online Content
> > >Remove the check mark from "Show content and links from Microsoft Office
> > >Online "
> > >Click OK.

> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
aaron.kempf (776)
10/17/2006 10:50:29 PM
I don't se any "Customer Feedback" listed on the Help menu.

There is an "Excel on the Web", but all that does is hijack any open
IE browser window.

Are these options in another place on Excel 2002?

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 17:26:28 -0500, Dave Peterson
<petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote:

>If I remember correctly, those settings are in xl2002, too, er, also.
>
>NewMan wrote:
>>
>> What about Excel XP (2002)???
>>
>> I have a user where this just started for no apparent reason?
>>
>> What is causing it, and how to turn it off??
>>
>> On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 11:02:03 -0500, Debra Dalgleish
>> <dsd@contexturesXSPAM.com> wrote:
>>
>> >In Excel 2003 there are a couple of settings you can check:
>> >
>> >Choose Help > Customer Feedback Options
>> >Select "No, I don't wish to participate."
>> >In the Category list at the left, select Online Content
>> >Remove the check mark from "Show content and links from Microsoft Office
>> >Online "
>> >Click OK.

I'm not sure about xl2002, but in xl2003, you can get to the same options via:

Tools|Options|General Tab|Service Options Button|Online Content Section

--

Dave Peterson
0

Are there any household budget templates available in Excel?
Are there any household budget templates available in Excel? http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/default.aspx Do a search near the top for "Budget," and you should find a few of them. Looks like "Personal budget" is the most popular, followed by "Family monthly budget." (based on votes) HTH Dana DeLouis "nevinnh" <nevinnh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2C0B084E-954F-4CAF-8ACB-AF33C6F3F097@microsoft.com... > Are there any household budget templates available in Excel? Go to microsoft template site, on the sear...

IMCEA
I am new to Microsoft exchange and am looking out for details on IMCEA (a.k.a. Internet Mail Connector Encapsulated Addressing). 1) The first very basis question is what is IMCEA. 2) How does routing happen when we send an email using IMCEA. 3) Does exchange strip IMCEA<type> string before send the destination address to connector or it sends it as is. E.g. Suppose I have a connector that can understand SMS address type. Now, using OL i send an email to IMCEASMS-123456789@localdomain.local. In this scenario, what will be the recipient addres in my connector? a) IMCEASMS-123456789@l...

Symbols in Excel 2007 Chart
Dear Group, Hello. I would like to use the greek mu symbol in an Excel 2007 histogram. I am able to convert the "m" into the proper "mu" symbol in the spreadsheet itself but this is not reflected in the resulting graphic. I need for my X axis label to be represented by the proper greek letter, not m. Does anyone know how to fix this issue? Thank you in advance. John McLaughlin In many fonts, holding Alt while typing 0181 on the numeric keypad produces �. This means you don't have to change the font for some of the characters in a text element (and many tex...

Excel 2000 tries to open unrecognizable file on startup
Hi, For the last couple of weeks, when I first open Excel I get a Microsoft Excel Error pop-up window that says "This file is not in a recognizable format....". I am uncertain what file it is trying to open, but when I click "cancel" it opens books1.xls. Which I usually ignore and go into "open file" and pick my excel file. Any idea what is going on? Win98 Excel 2000 -- Thanks - Jeff Jeff I suspect one of two things 1) Excel opens all files in it xlStart folder. Search for this and remove anything without an .xls, xlt extension 2) If you go to Tools&g...

"10th" on Excel
For the past few weeks, any time I enter the number "10", the Excel program automatically adds "th" making it "10th". This is also occuring on the Word program. I don't remember making any changes to either toolbar- HELP!!! I can think of one possibility, (and don't ask me how it may hav happened), but look in Tools - Autocorrect and see if you can find "10 shown as being replaced by "10th". My program once started replacin all lower case "p"s with upper case and I know it was nothing I did. If that isn't the problem, I ca...

combine multiple excel file in to one excel file and multiple worksheet
I am wanting to use the following code to combine worksheets from multiple files. However I would like to be able to select folder which contains files in a more automated way that having to change the code every time, and also copy all worksheets with links and formulas removed. Any help on this is greatly appreciated as I have limited code knowledge. Sub Copy_them() > Dim TargetWkbk As Workbook > Dim mrgWkbk As Workbook > Dim i As Long > Dim Wks As Worksheet > Dim fName As String > Application.ScreenUpdating = False > Set TargetWkbk ...

Removing web access from outlook address bar
Is there a way to remove or restrict someone's access to the web from the address bar in outlook 2002? I have users who do not have IE priviledges but are able to slide the address bar over and type in a web address to get to websites. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Can you block their web access at the firewall? Perhaps this is not a technical problem but rather a behavior problem. If these people are employees (or children) perhaps you need to create a policy that forbids them doing this along with some consequences for violating it. -- Aloha, -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, On...

Automatic backup in excel with copy to hard drive and to cd-rw
How do I get Excel to either automatically backup to hard drive and cd-rw, or even when I hit save icon, go ahead and save to hard drive and cd-rw. I already have auto save setup but backup file goes to same hard drive folder as origianl copy. Kind of defeats the purpose of a system crash and wanting a copy on removable media. Thanks for your help! This Word macro auto-saves a copy to a floppy drive. You should be able to edit it to save to the hard drive and CDRW, too. You'll also change some stuff to make it an Excel macro: http://www.vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=203 *...

Options -> Security -> Zone -> Internet printing
Hi, I have a user whose Outlook 2003 settings are as follows: Options -> Security -> Zone -> Internet Any time they receive any email with graphics etc they are unable to print that email. I tried to do the same on my PC, and am also not able to print (with those settings) How do we get this to be printed? Thanks Does it work in Restricted sites zone? That's the default setting. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:...

User Access Reporting
Hello Everybody, Does anyone know of a better way to audit security for individual users that the User Security report? Even with the options set to include Accessible Items only, we're finding the report for a single user runs well over 100 pages. With that kind of bulk, both the generation and review of the reports becomes a major endeavor. We're currently using GP9, with plans to go to 10 this year. Thanks, Jeremy Hi Jeremy Have you looked at the Rockton Software add-on called Security Auditor? I think it will do everything you are looking for and more. -- Fliehigh &q...

How can I connfigure my outlook to access same profile accross mu.
How can I connfigure my outlook to access same profile accross multiple user ids on a computer Krishna <Krishna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > How can I connfigure my outlook to access same profile accross > multiple user ids on a computer You can't. Each user ID will have its own profile, sicne profile information is kept in the registry in a user-specific area. However, you can certainly reference the same message store within each profile. For POP accounts, just put the PST somewhere in the Shared Documents hierarchy and point to it within each profile. -- B...

Why does Excel ask to save when no changes were made?
This does not pertain to a new document. I open an existing document just to look at it, and when I go to close it, Excel asks if I want to save the document. No changes were made, so it shouldn't have to be saved. It's annoying. Mike One explanation could be that there is a time formula in a cell that has updated on openeing so the worksheet will have changed. -- Mike When competing hypotheses are equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the question. Occam''''s razor (Abbrev) &...

Excel & Word auto selection from menus
Ok, I'm a keyboarder, not a mouser. I use quick commands like the letter code or arrows on menus to speed along without the grab, aquire, click business. Excel & Word seem to be periodically (not always) automatically selecting menu items based on prior selections if I use arrow selectors. How do I turn this off? I get no help from "Help". Please reply to my e-mail address: legreenwood@hotmail.com. Thanks! Would love to get rid of this nuisance & keep speeding along. ...

My excel file is too large (5 mb) when it shouldn't be, why?
I have an excel file has ballooned in size for some reason. I have tried to copy all the cells and then used "paste special" to paste just the values and the file size doesn't reduce. I am copying numbers from an investment website into my spreadsheet and there don't appear to be any issues with the pasted cells but I suspect it is causing the file size expansion and very slow performance. I then deleted all the cells around by spreadsheet and it didn't help at all. All suggestions as to how I can fix this problem appreciated. Kenview If you do a Ctl-End, does...

Money is trying to change my Internet Explorer Security settings.
Every time I use MS Money Deluxe 2007 it tries to change my Internet Explorer Security settings. What is it trying to change specifically and how can I stop it permanently from doing that? -- Howard ...

Creating Excel Invoice Template
I have been trying to customize a downloaded template but was frustrated so trying to create my own invoice. My question is once I input the formulas how do I keep/save them ???? when I enter the first calcualtions all is well, but if I go back and edit in the cell where the formula resides I lose the formula ??? I am a relative newbie to this so any help will be greatly appreciated. I have searched this site and cannot find a link to creating an invoice worksheet. Sasha ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions wit...

Sending Email in Excel
1.) I have a formula in a cell that when clicked, sends an email to recipients in the formula. I have pasted the formula below. What I want to do is put the date after the "End of Day: " part. However, when you click on the link, it gives the serial representation of the date if you use today(). Is there anyway to format so that is shows the date formatted correctly? In cell A1: =HYPERLINK(CONCATENATE("mailto:Person1@abc.com; Person2@abc.com?Subject=End of Day - ",A34,": Acc: ",AB1," for ","$",AA1," | Feats: ",'Enh Feats'...

Error created when try to Print Preview or Print
When try to print or print preview system is generating an error: "Print titles must be contiguous and complete rows or columns." Used excel for years ever seen this error before. Using Excel 2007 on Vista, we just upgraded to SP2 for both systems. After testing a few times, I notice that system is generating a Name Range with no referencing cell range, the name range is called Print_Titles. If I delete the name range it removes the error message and able to use print preview and able to print. Notice it is occurring more ofter when client is copying a worksheet to ...

Vista/Access Database Network Problem
Has the very serious network problem in Vista covered by Article 935366 "Issues that you may encounter when you open or are using a Microsoft Office Access database on a computer that is running Windows Vista" been fixed by either Vista SP1 or Access SP3? I can't find any reference to a fix in these service packs?? To lose your data is indeed a very serious bug. Part of the article on 935366 states: When you open or are using a Microsoft Office Access database on a computer that is running Windows Vista, you may encounter one or more of the following issues: .. Access ...

problem while starting "Microsoft Exchange Information Store" service
Hi, I am facing some problem with starting "Microsoft Exchange Information Store" service. Did a fresh exchange server installation and after reboot this service was not running. I tried running this service manually but getting error as "Could not start Microsoft Exchange Information Store service on Local Computer Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion" In the event Application logs i am getting some warnings and error related to 1. The MAD Monitoring thread was unable to read its configuration from the DS, error ...

Excel 2000: Regional date problem
We'e just upgraded from Excel 97 to 2000 and are having problems because dates in spreadsheets are showing in US (mm/dd/yy) format rather than in European (dd/mm/yy). This si true whether I use a standard date format or make a custom format. I've checked the regional settings in Windows 2000, and they are correct. I thought Excel picked up the default from here. Any other ideas where I might look? Thanks in advance Alan I wasn't able to duplicate your problem, Alan. I switched to UK settings through Regional Settings. Then I opened Excel 97 and entered =NOW() in two ce...

Percentage formula in Excel spreadsheet
Hi, In my spreadsheet cell E14 adds up E2 - E14 and cell C14 adds up C2 - C14. In G14 I have put a formula to show the difference between E14 and C14 as a Percentage ( formula for G14 is =SUM(E14-C14)/ABS(E14) ). When the Formula for G14 looks at E14 and C14 all it sees is a SUM formula to add up the column. Does anyone know how to solve this problem. Many thanks for looking. Rick Not sure I understand the problem; tell us what answer or error you ar getting. Also, don't you mean you are summing C2:C*13* in C14 and E2:E*13* i E14? Oh, and you can get rid of the Sum - this ...

Excel countif and
is there a "and" condition if you use countif or sumif? example; 1 c 1 1 c 2 2 < countif(b1:b4,"=c")and(a1:a4,"=1") Hi! Try this: =SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A4=1),--(B1:B4="C")) Biff "KEN" <KEN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:02a801c54ae1$3371a4f0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > is there a "and" condition if you use countif or sumif? > example; > > > 1 c > 1 > 1 c > 2 > 2 < countif(b1:b4,"=c")and(a1:a4,"=1") > ...

Excel macro error msg..
Hi I get the following msgbox when I attempt to run a Macro - which is just a simple text string to be put into a cell. " 'xxx'.xls could not be found. Check the spelling of the file name, and verify that the file location is correct. If you are trying to open a file from your list of most recently used files on the file menu, make sure that the file has not been renamed , moved or deleted." (ok) 'xxx.xls' trefers to a file name that was on my disk - but I deleted - I can't find it after a search. All macros when run, exhibit the same thing..... Tried a goog...

Try on corrective update
--bedhrrmk Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="hjpjsgpgnoozjuaed"; type="multipart/alternative" --hjpjsgpgnoozjuaed Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="hvvdwctiv" --hvvdwctiv Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Partner this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install now to prote...