Why can't I close "Custom Views" for original views?

I hided some rows in Excel, and then added one custom views namefor it. But
when I click"Close" the custom views to see the original views that contains
un-hided rows, the rows can not be visible.

What is the problem? What can I do?

0
ddd1339 (2)
10/12/2006 4:12:14 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

One of the shortcomings of the XL help files on this feature, is that they
never mention that there's *no way back* to the original worksheet display
(view).
You'll have to manually "unchange" individually all your changes in order to
return to the original display.

SO, the *first* thing to do when starting to create "Custom Views", is to
assign a name to the original sheet display, say something like "orig" (no
quotes).

Now, after you're finished with creating all your other views, you can click
on "orig" to return to the default sheet display.

If you're intending to produce many different views, or you'll be moving
back and forth between views often, you might wish to insert a "views"
window on your toolbar or menu bar.
This window will display the name of the current view, and will allow you to
change views by simply expanding the window and clicking on the name of any
of the other existing views in the sheet.

Right click in the toolbar and choose "Customize".
Under the "Commands" tab, in the left window click on "View".
In the right window, click and drag the "Custom View" window to either the
toolbar, or the menu bar (usually more room there).

Now you can easily navigate between views.
--
HTH,

RD

"smith" <ddd@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>I hided some rows in Excel, and then added one custom views namefor it. But
>when I click"Close" the custom views to see the original views that
>contains un-hided rows, the rows can not be visible.
>
> What is the problem? What can I do?

0
ragdyer1 (4060)

Custom Views in Outlook
Hey All, Is there a way to create a custom view and be able to apply i to all the mail and post folders in Outlook. The way currently Outloo works is, after we create a new view we have to manually select each o the mail and psot folder and apply the view to them. This can be quit a pain if you have a lot of mail an post folders. Any help in this matter is truly appreciated. Thank you, Bye, Vivek Phili ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Custom Views #4
Does anyone know about "print layout" view in Excel 2000? I have a user in my office who says she can get this view in Excel, just like she can in Word. I think I have seen it in Excel, but will be darned if I can figure out how to do it. Thanks. Hi do you mean 'File - Print preview'? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "christia" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:8b0d01c48551$edeaf4e0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Does anyone know about "print layout" view in Excel 2000? > I have a user in my office who s...

Limit of # of different custom views & Automate printing diff view
I have an expense report worksheet consisting of 12 tabs. Each tab has areas for the appropriate number of weeks that month for doing expenses. I created custom views (thanks for the help on that 12/27). I did the 4 views for Jan tab but when I tried to do it for the Feb tab it goes through all the steps but doesn't actually show the view as it did in the Jan tab. Why? How do I get around this? How can I put buttons on each tab to allow someone to automatically view then print a given week's expense report? Thanks for any assistance. I think you have to make the Views yo...

VB plug-in for Outlook 2000. Problems with programmatically custom views #2
I developed a plug-in for Outlook 2000 and Outlook XP in VB6.0 I have a problem with views in O2k. I created programmatically a new folder in Outlook but this directory have implicit "Messages" view (columns: Icon, Attachments, From, Subject . ). I want to create my own view to display information in my folder how I want. In Outlook XP is possible because I have: Folder.CurrentView.XML (XML property), but in Outlook2k I don't have this property. I'm sure this is possible because a have seen an application who don't have this problem. On the INTERNET, I can't fi...

How to password protect hidden columns and custom views in Excel
I want to create a spreadsheet with some columns that contain data that I want to password protect to limit access to only some users. Alternatively, I would like to create a custom view that hides these columns and then password protect the view. I can't figure out how to do this. Any help? I presume that you want just a few columns protected and the rest of th worksheet to be editable? (I think that's a real word!) One option is to lock the cells you want protected: - In your work sheet, press [Ctrl] + [A] to highlight all the cells - Right click in the worksheet and select *Fo...

Keep losing my custom views!
I use custom views in the task folder. For some reason, these custom views keep disappearing. I can not find a pattern as to when/why they disappear, except that they are lost between logins. When I first login at the beginning of the day and first click on the Task icon to open the folder, my last used custom view will still be in the window. However, it disappears from the "current view" drop down and radio- button lists. If I change the view, I can not get the custom one back. When my custom view is up, I have tried going to "define views" and copying the curre...

Custom views, filters sensitive, in a share workbook an protect sh
Dear All, I am facing problems to use a custom view in a share wookbook with a protect sheet with filter allowed. I desire each user to save theirs scenery, including filters, but it does not work. Furthermore, when I select custom view in the View menu, Excel diplay the message: "Some view settings could not be applied". I will be glad for any help! -- Andre Fernandes ...

custom views #2
In Outlook 2003 I have set up a custom view and would like all current folders and any new folders I create to automatically use that view by default. Is this possible? Thanks. Jeff ...

Custom views and formulas
Hoping someone can tell me if my understanding of custom views is correct. I have been given a spreadsheet of around 100 rows. The rows all contain a dollar amount in column "N". Ther person who set up this sheet has many custom views set up, which look to be hiding various rows and columns. My concern is this; there is a total at the bottom of column N, which is a basic sum, giving the total of all the dollar amounts in column "N". The people in the office seem to think that by setting up the different views, and hiding some rows, the figures in the hi...

Alternate Color Lines when using Custom Views
Hello Everyone, I used the following code in the Conditional Fomatting dialog box to acheive alternate colour lines: =MOD(ROW(),2)=1 This works fine, except when I choose a custom view, the alternate lines do not re-color themselves and I get blocks of one color or another - looks messy... Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks What is the custom view doing specifically? -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "GLT" <GLT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:28AE19C6-4D18-4326-8FE7-812D6E03EB32@microsoft.com... > Hello ...

Custom Views For Filtered Criteria
I have been saving filtered criteria using 'custom views', icon on th toolbar, however I would like to delete or amend assigned names withi the custom views box. Is this possible? Ton -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi! A quote from the Excel Help file: Create or delete custom views Delete a custom view On the View menu, click Custom Views. In the Views box, click the name of the view you want, and then clic Delete. Al -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Thank you, I have also just found this out by experimenting. Ton -- Message posted fr...

custom views / macros #2
I created a custom view from a master document that included every third row hidden (I manually hid every third row for 1000 rows -whew!). I added a macro that showed a particular heading row for that view, and assigned a shortcut. I saved the worksheet as a template. The worksheet was then re-saved with a new name, cells filled in. The custom view worked a few times, then stopped hiding every third row in the view. 1. I don't know why the view stopped hiding the rows and 2. can you help me write a macro that will automatically hide every third row?? This will Hide every third row s...

custom views-no available values in 'edit filter criteria'
hi there, i am trying to create a custom view that is based on one of the values in a picklist within a custom field. when i go into edit filter criteria, i select the field i want, choose equals and then when i get to 'enter value' i have no options in the 'available values' area. I gather i should have the picklist values as available values to choose from? I tested it using another standard field; marital status then i have options in the available values area. but i had added another 2 options to the standard picklist-de-facto and separated; which do not appear in va...

Creating Custom views
Hello, I'd like my support reps. to be able to create custom views for accounts, contacts, cases etc... I gave them the rights to do so in the policies (create, read and write custom views for the organisation) but they don't have access to this part in the Settings... What's wrong there? Thanks Eric ...

Custom Views
I see from other posts that there is no way to copy a custom view from one worksheet to another (aside from using "save as" as a work around). My next question then is there any way to disply what settings are inherent in a custom view so that I can re-create it in another sheet? Thanks, Parls What types of Custom Views? If you have a view of a filtered worksheet would that filter necessarily be valid for the next sheet? If some columns or rows were hidden would you want the same view for the next sheet? You could just make a copy of the sheet and Custom Views...

using auto filter and custom views
i am using both the autofilter command and custom views simultaneously. the custom views are set up using criteria specified with the filters. i am using filter criteria in 1 column only. in the custom views, i have checked both the "print settings" box and "hidden rows, columns, and filter settings" box to include in view. in order to delete a column or columns in the spreadsheet i must turn off the auto filter command. once i turn it back on, my custom views "forgets" the criteria in the filter and i must reset the custom views. the hidden columns and...

Cannot add columns to custom views
I have a problem that is causing a major handicap. I cannot add any columns to any custom leads view that I create. No matter what, the only column that is displayed is the default key column (name) that is there when the view is created. When I click on add columns, the dialog box that is supposed to list columns that I can add to the view has no columns listed at all. I am logged in as the System Administrator when trying to accomplish this. Also, when I create a filter criteria it is never saved. I save it, but when I go back into it, it is gone. Any help would be GREATLY apprec...

Protection & Custom Views
I have a 200 sheet workbook using Excel XP(about 60MB) with lots of columns used just for calculation and hidden for viewing and printing. I created custom views to easily switch between having the columns hidden and have them viewable. However, once I went into the sheets of the workbook and protected them my views no longer work. On the protection option screen I checked the box to allow column formatting by users when protected. In individual sheets I am able to show and hide the columns however the Custom Views do not work. When I try to apply the view I get the following m...

Custom Views 05-12-06
I have created a view for Leads that shows up in the view list, but the added columns are not showing up and filters are not working. Is there something else I need to do to get these things to work? I published the customizations and did an iisreset just to play it safe, but it still show up in the view list, but without additional settings. -- Brandon Presentations Direct - "Document Finishing Solutions" http://www.presentationsdirect.com Hi, Which version are you using? 1.2 or 3.0? Gustaf "Brandon" wrote: > I have created a view for Leads that shows up ...

Custom Views for Subfolders?
Outlook 2002 (Office XP) I have a set up a custom view for my Inbox. I also have many subfolders under my inbox. How to I apply my Inbox custom view to all my Inbox subfolders? I would think there would be an "apply to subfolders" option, but if there is, I can't find it. Thanks. ...

editing custom views
Hello, I have a finance spreadsheet I created for myself to plan my household budget where I have a row for every day of the year. Sine some days nothing happens amongst the days I am planing for I created 2 views. One which displays all the rows and a "part view" which hides the rows with no activity. As the year goes on and I plan further down the sheet I'll want to edit the "part view" so that it includes further rows which will be hidden. How do I do this? When I go to View/Custom View it only gives me the option to Show, Close, Add or Delete a view? Wou...

Custom Views
Hello - I have a large table that I am trying to create some custom views for. However, when I go to View, Custom Views........the Custom Views option is grayed out. I read that you cannot use Custom views for an "excel list", but I have converted the list back to a normal range, so I don't think that is the problem. Does anyone know what other reasons may exist, as to why I am unable to select custom views? Thanks for any suggestions. Perhaps you have more than one sheet selected? Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Fri, 5 Sep 2008 08:19:17 -0700 (PDT), Mike C <js2k111@yahoo.c...

Custom Views 09-08-05
I created a new view in SQL Enterprise Manager. How do I get this new view to appear in the CRM system? Please advise. Thank you in advance for your assistance! Dear Cayla, You cannot add a new view in the database and make this visible in CRM. You will have to make new views within CRM. These views are different though from the views you can create in the Enterprise Manager. You should go within crm to: Start -> Settings -> Customize system. There you can chose for which entity you want to make a new view. After selecting an entity, you can chose to add a view. Hope this hel...

Custom Views 02-17-05
I am trying to setup a custom view for Accounts using a filter that dynamically reads that particular users business unit. Can you use dynamic CRM values as part of the filter statement? Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks. you cannot do this. I recommend you build a report instead. One way to do this would be to add a custom field on the account form where you or users enter the business unit. The view could then see that. The problem is the business unit is tied to the user which a search on accounts will not see. -- John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.mscrmfaq.us ...

Default Custom Views
Many of our users want to be able to default their own custom views rather than have the system view as their default. Currently this is not available in 3.0 nor 4.0. Should be part of their profile. Thanks. -- BC ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. ht...