where does a character appear in a cell?

morning all....

Is there a function that allows me to calculate where in the cell a
specific character appears?

ie: i have a string of text "abcd!efghi" can i see where the "!" is by
number of characters from left or right?

thanks

richard
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

WHAT A FOOL!

I have it. a typo in my search wasn't helping!

richard

On 17 Feb, 10:10, rjre <rjredwa...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> morning all....
>
> Is there a function that allows me to calculate where in the cell a
> specific character appears?
>
> ie: i have a string of text "abcd!efghi" can i see where the "!" is by
> number of characters from left or right?
>
> thanks
>
> richard

So how do you do it then?

"rjre" wrote:

> WHAT A FOOL!
>
> I have it. a typo in my search wasn't helping!
>
> richard
>
> On 17 Feb, 10:10, rjre <rjredwa...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > morning all....
> >
> > Is there a function that allows me to calculate where in the cell a
> > specific character appears?
> >
> > ie: i have a string of text "abcd!efghi" can i see where the "!" is by
> > number of characters from left or right?
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > richard

0
NeilPerry (14)
2/17/2009 1:12:01 PM
Cell A1= "abcd!efghi"

=FIND("!",A1)

Rich

On 17 Feb, 13:12, Neil Perry <NeilPe...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> So how do you do it then?
>

> "rjre" wrote:
> > WHAT A FOOL!
>
> > I have it. a typo in my search wasn't helping!
>
> > richard
>
> > On 17 Feb, 10:10, rjre <rjredwa...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > > morning all....
>
> > > Is there a function that allows me to calculate where in the cell a
> > > specific character appears?
>
> > > ie: i have a string of text "abcd!efghi" can i see where the "!" is by
> > > number of characters from left or right?
>
> > > thanks
>
> > > richard- Hide quoted text -

Thank you.

"rjre" wrote:

> Cell A1= "abcd!efghi"
>
> =FIND("!",A1)
>
> Rich
>
> On 17 Feb, 13:12, Neil Perry <NeilPe...@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
> > So how do you do it then?
> >

> > "rjre" wrote:
> > > WHAT A FOOL!
> >
> > > I have it. a typo in my search wasn't helping!
> >
> > > richard

NeilPerry (14)

Excel 2003 extract repeating cells

Combining cells to create a formula
Hi, I have two cells that I want to combine to have a working formula B1 = sum B2 = d3 b3 = =b1&"("&b2&")" D3 = 10 The result in b3 is : sum(d3) How do I get this to result in the actual value in D3. I know I can simply write =D3, but the actual reason for combining the two cells is more complicated than explained here. Thanks Hi I think you are perhaps looking for the Indirect function =INDIRECT("D"&ROW(3:3)) would return the value contained in D3 As you copy down, the formula would alter to 4, 5 etc. represent D4, D5 etc. -- Regards R...

changing the cell information #2
Hi I have files I tried to change the cell information to another cel that have to be the blank for a row that contains director name in cel A and for the movie titles I have to have director names instead of th title names.Please help me, the data in cell B sholuld have to be, A 1 D:B.Jane 2 T:Back to the future 3 T:Aliens 4 T:X-files 5 D:Adam Mathew 6 T:Core 7 T:Titanic B 1 (empty) 2 D:B.Jane 3 D:B.Jane 4 D:B.Jane 5 (empty) 6 D:Adam Mathew 7 D:Adam Mathew thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

cell looses name after sorting
Can someone help me with the following problem in Excel 2000: in a table I have attached serveral cells with unique cell names, the values in these cells are used in other sheets. the problem is that when I sort the table, the cell names stay in the original rowposition; they are not sorted! while their values are. So Cell names get different values, and other calculations on my other sheets get messed up! How can I make the cell names relative instead of absolute? thankx in advance, Jim --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ "jimfx >" <<jimfx.109zcv@exc...

Every cell is highlighted
This is a new one for me. Afer opening up Excel '98 and go to a cell, every cell is highlighted when I move the mouse. I can not put any information in any cell. The only way to quit Excel is control, alt, delete and then it gives me "can not quit excel". It does though after a while. Wherever I move the mouse, the cells are highlighted. What gives? Thanks f8 key -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "5hulses" <5hulses@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3B8F2E7E-8957-4B26-B64B-AEC88B6099BE@microsoft.com... > This is a new...

Custom cell formatting
I need to create a custom format for a series of cells that will begin like this. I can't figure out what the code character is fora volitile potentially alpha character. Can anyone help me?? -Monica, Dallas 000000 000001 000002 .... 000009 00000A 00000B 000010 000011 ...... Monica something like this might work for you but you'll need to put all the leading digits in for the entry with the alpha character Regards Trevor "MDavison" <davison@fr.com> wrote in message news:#SD0tUzTEHA.1652@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > I need to create a custom format for a series ...

Can the column index in a cell address be made variable?
Hi, To refer to a cell with a variable row number, we can just code it as, for example, Dim i As Interger i=234 Range("A" & i).Select To refer to a cell with a variable column index, it seems not that easy because the column index must be explicitly specified in a cell address. So, if I want to go to the j th column on the 2nd row or j columns to the right of cell AA3, is there a quick and easy way to do it? Thank you in advance. David You may be able to use R1C1 terminology, but you'll need to get someone else to help from here. "cyberdude" <honc...

Appearance
I had a box on the left side of my e-mail screen showing things like deleted mail, view deleted mail, etc, this has disapeared any help on how to retreive it? -- bkk "bkk" <bkk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4388CF18-F122-4C61-B925-E9DAB3D8B1C1@microsoft.com... >I had a box on the left side of my e-mail screen showing things like >deleted > mail, view deleted mail, etc, this has disapeared any help on how to > retreive it? > -- > bkk View>Layout>Folder List -- Regards Steve. MS-MVP. MAIL. [DTS] UK. htt...

How do I get text to copy from one cell to another ?
Type = in the target cell. MouseClick the cell containing text. Pres Enter key -- Brian ----------------------------------------------------------------------- BrianB's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=5 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27034 ...

Forcing String Literal as Wide Character Unicode
Hello, I am under the impression that using _T("...") will convert my string literal to either a char or a wchar depending on what is defined, but I would like to force my string literal to be a Unicode String ( i.e wchar_t ) How would I do that? Would it be something like: wchar_t string[] = "hi"; something like that? Or is there a way to force my literal string to be unicode? "sleeper" <TheFakeJon@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1159489470.136737.259600@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > Hello, I am under the impression that using _T("...&q...

Highlighted Cell
Hi all If I highlight A1 is there a way to have the cell fill colour yellow, So I can see where I am better, when I move to say A8 etc. A1 go's back to its normal colour and the new cell is yellow. Thanks in advance Dave See if this helps: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/RowLiner.htm -- HTH, RD --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit ! --------------------------------------------------------------------------- "Dave" <tuco@tuco.karoo.co.uk> wrote in messag...

Formatting Cells in Excel 97

HOW DO I COPY FORMULA WITHOUT CHANGING CELL REFERENCE
My cell c1 contains the formula b1-a1.when i copy this formula to cells d1 and e1 the cells d1 and e1 have the following formula : d1=c1-b1 e1=d1-c1 but i want the following d1 should be b2-a2 and e2 should be b3-a3 how do i do this? One way... In C1 enter & copy across: =INDEX($A:$A,COLUMN()-COLUMN($C$1)+1)-INDEX($B:$B,COLUMN()-COLUMN($C$1)+1) anantth wrote: > My cell c1 contains the formula b1-a1.when i copy this formula to cells d1 > and e1 the cells d1 and e1 have the following formula : > d1=c1-b1 > e1=d1-c1 > > but i want the following > d1 should be b2-...

tasks entered in taskpad don't appear in task folder
All of the tasks that I have entered via the taskpad do not appear in the task folder, what am I doing wrong or do I have the wrong expectation? OL98/WinXP John Keith kd0gd@juno.com What view are you using on your Tasks folder? --=20 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. "John Keith" <kd0gd@juno.com> wrote in message = news:6grrm0hkagessu2ecc0bj81pc41aarq39r@4ax.com... | All of the tasks that I have...

find match then change cell value

Getting same number to appear over and again
Hi. I'm trying to change the E's I have entered in a column to 1's. However, in lieu of changing them one by one, I would like to do them all in one fell swoop. Any suggestions? John Hi John You could use find and replace. Select all of your data. Goto Edit>Find Find what:- E Replace with:- 1 HTH Martin John Do NOT multipost. See your answer in Excel group. And do a google search for newsgroup etiquette!! John Do NOT multipost. See your answer in Excel group. And do a google search for newsgroup etiquette!! John Do NOT multipost. See your answer in Excel ...

HIGHLIGHTING CELLS #3
Hi I have a spread sheet in which I want to highlight certain cells automattically. ie B4 = 39 C4 = 38 how do I get Excel to highlight the figure in C4 if it is less than B4, someone said it was something to do with exceptions but I cannot find any details on that. Hope someone can help Dave You can use conditional formatting... 1) Select C4 2) Format > Conditional Formatting > Formula Is 3) Enter the following formula: =(C4<B4) Note that if you don't want C4 highlighted when it's empty, use the following formula instead... =(C4<>"")*(C4<B4) ...

Insert new row as cell contents change
Insert new row as cell contents change. After importing data I have a spread sheet with a column that contains a series of alpha numeric characters. At various random intervals in this column the contents change. EG rows 1 to 4 could contain ABC, then rows 5 to 15 could become 222. I am looking for a method to insert a blank row automatically between the rows were the contents change. Many Thanks Geo George If you are familiar with VBA the code below will do what you want. Preselect the column of data first Sub InsertRowAfterValueChange() Dim myCell As Range Dim sCurrVal As String ...

appearance of the real name in "sent"
I posted a message yesterday but nobody answered. So I try to do it again. I cannot find the answer to this question in help (OL 2000). I setup my contact list, with the names, the way I want them to appear, the email address etc... When I want to send an email, I click on the contact I want, action, etc... When it is sent, it appears with the email of the person. For example, I would like "John" to appear, and I get (and he too) say.. john@msn.com. It would be more friendly, and more polite and I know it can be done, as I receive some to my name. anonymous@discussions.m...

Split single cell data into multiple colums
i have a huge data, converted from image to Excel. After converting the image to Excel all the data are stored in one cell( A1). But i want that to be split into different colums Example A1 September 15,2006 Name Email ID Father's Name Address City State Pincode Phone1 Phone2 Contact Time Area Code City Code State Code Amount Discount Total Occupation Emp no Remarks The above headers are the data in one single cell, but have too many spaces between each word. Help me get this resolved -- Thanks and...