Web Query Not Working

Up until yesterday, my web query in my Excel worksheet has been working
perfectly.  I have been using the saved query named "Microsoft Investor
Stock Quotes.iqy".  It looks like the server accessed by the URL has been
down.  When I ping the domain, I get the message that the ping timed out.
The link used by the query is
http://investor.msn.com/external/excel/quotes.asp?SYMBOL=AA,fdx...   Is
anyone else experiencing the same problem?  Does anyone know how to contact
MSN to jog them to get things up and running?  Or, have they stopped
supporting the query?

Gary

0
gary5889 (2)
7/8/2005 5:23:19 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Mine went down as well.  It took some trial and error but I found the
query on the moneycentral site:

Old: http://investor.msn.com/external/excel/quotes.asp?SYMBOL=MSFT,IBM
New:
http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/external/excel/quotes.asp?SYMBOL=MSFT,IBM

Best of luck,

Jason

Gary Groomer wrote:
> Up until yesterday, my web query in my Excel worksheet has been working
> perfectly.  I have been using the saved query named "Microsoft Investor
> Stock Quotes.iqy".  It looks like the server accessed by the URL has been
> down.  When I ping the domain, I get the message that the ping timed out.
> The link used by the query is
> http://investor.msn.com/external/excel/quotes.asp?SYMBOL=AA,fdx...   Is
> anyone else experiencing the same problem?  Does anyone know how to contact
> MSN to jog them to get things up and running?  Or, have they stopped
> supporting the query?
>
> Gary

0
jwelles (2)
7/8/2005 9:56:08 PM
My thanks to Jason for the solution.  It would be nice if Microsoft would
inform user of changes!

Gary

<jwelles@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Mine went down as well.  It took some trial and error but I found the
> query on the moneycentral site:
>
> Old: http://investor.msn.com/external/excel/quotes.asp?SYMBOL=MSFT,IBM
> New:
> http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/external/excel/quotes.asp?SYMBOL=MSFT,IBM
>
> Best of luck,
>
> Jason
>
> Gary Groomer wrote:
>> Up until yesterday, my web query in my Excel worksheet has been working
>> perfectly.  I have been using the saved query named "Microsoft Investor
>> Stock Quotes.iqy".  It looks like the server accessed by the URL has been
>> down.  When I ping the domain, I get the message that the ping timed out.
>> The link used by the query is
>> http://investor.msn.com/external/excel/quotes.asp?SYMBOL=AA,fdx...   Is
>> anyone else experiencing the same problem?  Does anyone know how to
>> contact
>> MSN to jog them to get things up and running?  Or, have they stopped
>> supporting the query?
>>
>> Gary

0
gary5889 (2)
7/9/2005 1:27:32 AM
My thanks as well for the new URL!

jwelles@gmail.com wrote:
> Mine went down as well.  It took some trial and error but I found the
> query on the moneycentral site:
>
> Old: http://investor.msn.com/external/excel/quotes.asp?SYMBOL=MSFT,IBM
> New:
> http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/external/excel/quotes.asp?SYMBOL=MSFT,IBM
>
> Best of luck,
>
> Jason
>
> Gary Groomer wrote:
> > Up until yesterday, my web query in my Excel worksheet has been working
> > perfectly.  I have been using the saved query named "Microsoft Investor
> > Stock Quotes.iqy".  It looks like the server accessed by the URL has been
> > down.  When I ping the domain, I get the message that the ping timed out.
> > The link used by the query is
> > http://investor.msn.com/external/excel/quotes.asp?SYMBOL=AA,fdx...   Is
> > anyone else experiencing the same problem?  Does anyone know how to contact
> > MSN to jog them to get things up and running?  Or, have they stopped
> > supporting the query?
> >
> > Gary

0
gabboca (1)
7/9/2005 1:38:37 AM
To find where to change your code,  I think the article that Jason's
fix is for is  or is similar to this one:

 Different Ways of Using Web Queries in Microsoft Office Excel 2003

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/odc_xl2003_ta/html/odc_xlWebquery.asp?frame=true

 -- so much for Microsoft being less likely to change something that
would affect an example related to one of their own products, though
actually it wasn't a format that was changed it was a URL and it
certainly is not unusual for a Microsoft URLs to go stale after six
months.

BTW, to see Jason's answer without truncation in Google you may have to
choose  "Options" and then "Show Original"

David McRitchie

0
dmcritchie (2586)
7/10/2005 6:56:36 AM
Where can I change the url below? if I change it by the button 'edit
query' I can't reach the new url (i receive Page not found)

If I paste the new url below it works! but I can't use my original
query that extracts symbols stock from a range in excel and not from
the url.
anyone can help me?
many thanks

jwelles@gmail.com ha scritto:
> Mine went down as well.  It took some trial and error but I found the
> query on the moneycentral site:
>
> Old: http://investor.msn.com/external/excel/quotes.asp?SYMBOL=MSFT,IBM
> New:
> http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/external/excel/quotes.asp?SYMBOL=MSFT,IBM
>
> Best of luck,
>
> Jason
>
> Gary Groomer wrote:
> > Up until yesterday, my web query in my Excel worksheet has been working
> > perfectly.  I have been using the saved query named "Microsoft Investor
> > Stock Quotes.iqy".  It looks like the server accessed by the URL has been
> > down.  When I ping the domain, I get the message that the ping timed out.
> > The link used by the query is
> > http://investor.msn.com/external/excel/quotes.asp?SYMBOL=AA,fdx...   Is
> > anyone else experiencing the same problem?  Does anyone know how to contact
> > MSN to jog them to get things up and running?  Or, have they stopped
> > supporting the query?
> >
> > Gary

OK OK
It works
thanks to Jason for new url

It's very strange that MS didn't advise about this problem

saghilar ha scritto:
> Where can I change the url below? if I change it by the button 'edit
> query' I can't reach the new url (i receive Page not found)
>
> If I paste the new url below it works! but I can't use my original
> query that extracts symbols stock from a range in excel and not from
> the url.
> anyone can help me?
> many thanks
>

> jwelles@gmail.com ha scritto:
> > Mine went down as well.  It took some trial and error but I found the
> > query on the moneycentral site:
> >
> > Old: http://investor.msn.com/external/excel/quotes.asp?SYMBOL=MSFT,IBM
> > New:
> > http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/external/excel/quotes.asp?SYMBOL=MSFT,IBM
> >
> > Best of luck,
> >
> > Jason
> >
> > Gary Groomer wrote:
> > > Up until yesterday, my web query in my Excel worksheet has been working
> > > perfectly.  I have been using the saved query named "Microsoft Investor
> > > Stock Quotes.iqy".  It looks like the server accessed by the URL has been
> > > down.  When I ping the domain, I get the message that the ping timed out.
> > > The link used by the query is
> > > http://investor.msn.com/external/excel/quotes.asp?SYMBOL=AA,fdx...   Is
> > > anyone else experiencing the same problem?  Does anyone know how to contact
> > > MSN to jog them to get things up and running?  Or, have they stopped
> > > supporting the query?
> > >
> > > Gary

Using a Query to give me the 160th and 320th etc.
I need to create a Query that only shows me the 160th record, 320, 480 etc. Can anyone tell me how this can be done? -- -The Novice Learn Today, Teach Tomorrow Great Success is ones ability to ask for Help. If your records are numbered (i.e., if they include a sequence number field), you could try using the Mod() function to take every 160th record. Regards Jeff Boyce Microsoft Office/Access MVP "TheNovice" <TheNovice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:811C7D2A-C791-4972-9E32-FFBEDD4A264A@microsoft.com... >I need to create a Query that only shows me...

4 Day Work Week in a formula
I've got a project, that is scheduled out as Project Day 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 etc. I want to write a formula that will add a column showing the calender date that corresponds to each of these, once I key in a start date. They'll all reference that start date. That, I can do. What is going to give me fits, is that we are on a 4 day work week. SO, Project Day 5, is calendar day 8, 6=9, 7=10, 8=11. Then, project Day 9=15, 10=16 and so forth. Now, I used to use a formula calculated a time difference, based on an 8 hour day and work week. I could calculate the business ho...

Export to comma-delimited format doesn't seem to work
I apologize for the elementary question. I have an Excel spreadsheet which is simply a list of email addresses. I want to export them to a format allowing me to paste them into the "To" field of an email. (In case you're concerned, this is not unsolicited bulk commercial email). I've been able to export them to a .csv format, but it doesn't seem to have the commas, which confuses me and my email software. Any help will be much appreciated. -- Patty Ayers | www.WebDevBiz.com Free Articles on the Business of Web Development Web Design Contract, Estimate Request Form...

Windows update does not work 01-21-10
I have windows vists 64 on my laptop and when it tries to do an automatic update the updates will not take and if I go to the windows update site it says administrator only. Well I am the only one who uses this pc and I checked my settings account as the administrator and it still will not work-- chilid http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525 "chilid856" wrote: > I have windows vists 64 on my laptop and when it tries to do an automatic > update > the updates will not take and if I go to the windows update site it says > administrator only. Well I...

Graphical Union-Query Builder?
I have two moderately complex queries (each one has at least 7-tables and several more joins) that must be combined via a Union query. The results will be used in subsequent queries. Writing and maintaining SQL for this Union query is a last resort. How can I keep my application as intuitive and as low-maintenance as possible? 1. Does Microsoft or anyone else have a graphical user interface for building Union queries yet? 2. Does any tool exist that could read user-specified Select queries in Access and create the corresponding Union query? I've been considering writing such...

Free Domain + 1Gb Web Hosting
http://www.adsforindians.net/AdNet/AFIclks.asp?Srcid=3433&tarid=379&adty=8&adid=150&AD_ID=24987&FL=X&Adky=c0YDYb00gZcXA0XAfZU&href=http%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww%25252Egetmoneyonline%25252E110mb%25252Ecom%25252Fpaid%25255Fto%25255Fread%25252Ehtm& ...

Customer charge Accounts don't work.
We just upgraded from Quicksell 2000 and everything transfered great. The charge accounts transfered but we can not add new charges to them. The error we get is "the charge has no slip receipt". Can't figure out how to set that up to create charges. Can anybody lend a hand. Beaver, Are you trying to use a QS2K receipt template? If so, try an RMS one. I'm assuming you have created an Account type for your charge customers and a Payment type for charge accounts. As a test, create a new customer, Account tab, change the Account type to your charge account, give ...

how do i set up paypal to my web site
hi i am using publisher 2003, i have put the web site together but i would like some help in adding a payment to my site i.e paypal. many thanks for your help in advance. You will use the Insert HTML code fragment tool to insert the code provided by PayPal as per their documentation. Here is a Publisher built site that uses PayPal as an example: http://www.makingsenseofeducation.co.uk/index.htm Please post any follow up questions to the web design group, and we will try to help you there: microsoft.public.publisher.webdesign DavidF "starrie" <starrie@discussions.microsof...

Finding all Authors in a Query
I have a Query that includes Authors,Rating Books and other fields. The criteria control is in Rating Books and is (is Null). This criteria will list all the unread books, but will not list Authors who do not have unread Books. I would like to show all Authors irrelevant of Rating Books. Thanx MilGar wrote: > I have a Query that includes Authors,Rating Books and other fields. The > criteria control is in Rating Books and is (is Null). This criteria will > list all the unread books, but will not list Authors who do not have > unread Books. I would like to show all Authors i...

calculate how many 'work days' in a month / week
hi guys, currently i have a formula (thanks to this NG) that calculates how many days there are in a month. is there a way to extend this formula to calculate the number of work days (mon-fri) there are in that month? cheers Use the NETWORKDAYS function: =NETWORKDAYS(start_date,end_date) -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Chuck" <cvanoosbree@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1194478027.357664.102700@t8g2000prg.googlegroups.com... > hi guys, > > currently i have a formula (thanks to this NG) that calculates how > many days there are in a month. is there a way to ...

Calculations not working on pasted values from Access
I'm using Office 2000 on W2k, and when I copy and paste a column of numbers from MS Access to MS Excel, I am unable to perform a Sum function on the pasted values. The function always returns zero. If I then type in the values directly it does work. Anyone know why? Is this caused by a virus and is there a patch? It is because it is seen as text, try to copy an empty cell, select the imported numbers, do edit>paste special and select add. -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Scott Sullivan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0c0001c3a22c$790cd250...

Hyperlinks Don't work in SAW VML IFRAME
Visio 2003 Prof 1. Hyperlinks in SAW to VML (no IFRAME) work OK. 2. Hyperlinks in SAW to VML (with IFRAME) do not work OK (blank IFRAME) 3. Hyperlinks in SAW to SVG (no IFRAME) work OK. 4. Hyperlinks in SAW to SVG (with IFRAME) work OK. (Hyerlinks are to other pages within the same document): Above seems to point to the JavaScript functions in the VML format option do not correctly form their hyperlinks when they are within an IFRAME. Has anyone fixed this? Are MS going to fix this? Hi David, You don't list the options you are selecting when using the Visio 2003 Save as Web featu...

Microsoft Works Suite 2006
I recently purchased a new copy of Works Suite 2006, (I know it's new because I broke the plastic wrapper. It has the license on the back of the case.) I had to wipe my hard drive and re-install Windows XP Pro. for an un-related problem. All my other programs re-loaded fine. Works Suite 2006 refuses to do anything except make the green light on my cd unit glow. The person I bought it from says it sounds like I'm missing some drivers or software. I tried to correct this with a re-install but it didn't help. Anybody have any ideas what's wrong? Thanks johnalangmi wrong g...

i can't get this formula to work
i'm trying to write a formula where if the cell below it minus the active cell is -21< x > -23 then write one, else leave it blank. so here's what i got so far, i think i'm just getting the parentheses wrong =if((AND((c2-c1)*24)<-21,((c2-c1)*24)>-23),1,"") i tried writing a simpler formula along the same lines and this one works =if((AND(j3<-21,j3>-23)),1,"") Hi Kyle Try =IF(AND((C2-C1)*24<-21,(C2-C1)*24>-23),1,"") -- Regards Roger Govier kyle wrote: > i'm trying to write a formula where if th...

Upgrade to Outlook 2003
Hello All, I just upgraded to OL2003 from OL2002(XP) now I get errors on my rules. I this point I want to start fresh but I can not even delete the existing rules. Tried client and server side rules, no difference. When I try to fix the errors (mostly need to specify folder name for mesage to be moved to) it looks like it will work until I apply. Same problem happens when I try to delete all rules, looks fine until I apply, I get this message - "One or more rules could not be uploaded to the Exchange (2000) server and have been deactivated. This could be because some of the parameter...

Spell Checker Does Not Work 02-16-10
I am editing a Word document sent to me from someone else. I think they originally created it in AmiPro. For some reason the spell checker does not work in this file. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to make the spell checker work? See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/MasterSpellCheck.htm. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "dk2" <dk2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:72E8E257-7E50-4859-BD99-125BAFBEEDB6@microsoft.com... >I am editing a Word document sent to me from someone else. I think they > originally created it in A...

Yes/No query from form.
Greetings all, I am attempting to create what seems (to me at least) to be a very complex query. I have a form (which will eventually link to my query when I can figure out what I'm doing). The form has 4 yes/no check boxes, and two combo boxes. What I would like to do is have a user of my database select one of the check boxes (hence filtering for any checked record in my table) and then make a choice from each of the two combo boxes which would then filter the search results just to those choices selected. Any help would be greatly appreciated! See: Search form - Handle ...

Centering Web Pages
Does Microsoft Plan on making any changes to this feature? I am really disappointed. I have used other products that were easier to use and don't have this problem. I have spent several days builing a site that looks stupid all shoved to the left. -- 2parrots Please understand that Publisher is a desktop publishing program first and foremost. You're taking advantage of an additional capability. If you're looking for a program that's easier to use for websites, consider FrontPage. (Purely my opinion) -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "2 parrots&qu...

How to make Excel treat the dates AS DATES which are taken from a Web Page ?
Hi guyz, i have a web page which has a column in which dates are given in the following format dd/mm/yy hh:mm:ss which is a perfectly acceptable format for excel, then i opened this web page through excel so as to parse the data into different columns, but when i proceeded to perform some operations like month() weeknum() etc on the date column, excel returned errors of !value, ie excel is still treating that perfect date column as text, and no.... changing the format of the cells didnt help, so people plz advise as to how to make excel treat that column as a proper date column so as to allow...

control p to print on word does not work anymore
I have recently upgraded to windows 7, and am using microsoft office 2007 in word. Control P to print documents is only working intermittently and this is extremely frustrating!! Anyone got any ideas, please. Do the other ways of printing -- clicking on the Quick Access Toolbar icon, or choosing it under the Office button -- still work reliably? On Feb 22, 6:24=A0am, kaz53 <ka...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have recently upgraded to windows 7, and am using microsoft office 2007= in > word. > Control P to print documents is only working intermittently a...

Help Office Rules don't work consistantly
Why is it some rules just won't work in automatic mode? I have a rule set up in my Outlook (2002) to check mail when it comes in and if the email sources matches a contact in the outlook contacts folder, it should move the message to a outlook folder. The rule doesn't work on it's own, but if I run it manually, it works flawlessly. I have several other rules defined and they all work just fine. There are no stops or anything else in other rules that would prevent the rule from running. I don't get it! Outlook is running under XP and connected to and Exchange server a...

parameter query 12-24-07
Hi, I have a parameter query that prompts for 3 different criteria. One being between one date and another date. I want the query to return data on the other criteria and return all dates if I dont put the dates in the last criteria. Hope someone can help me. Thanks Christina So you want the parameter to NOT limit the query results if it is left blank? That's doable, but somewhat messy. Switch the query to SQL View, and set up the WHERE clause like this: SELECT * FROM Table1 WHERE ((ClientID = [WhatClient]) OR ([WhatClient] Is Null)) AND ((SaleDate >= [StartDate]) OR ([Start...

Select Web Server is blank
When publishing customizations, the Select Web Server box is blank. When I click the add server button the screen simply hangs. I'm running version 1.2 and I have not made any changes to the server. I have been publishing customizations on this server for 1.5 years without issue. I would be grateful for any suggestions. Regards, -- Mike Parks Georgia Institute of Technology Atlanta, Georgia If I am not mistaken I had this problem to with CRM 1.2. This was caused by the .NET Framework 2.0 which I had installed on the same box. After I uninstalled .NET 2.0 I could publish again. P...

HTML web-page as email
We want to send a web-page as an email. How can I compose such an "HTML email"? You can either compose it in outlook or in an html editor. If you use an html editor, use file, insert, as text to insert it into Outlook. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM You can access this newsgr...

Running OWA and other web applications on same Server
We've got OWA running on our Exchange server box (Windows 2003/Exchange 2003) and we also want to host a number of company Intranet sites from the same box. Our first attempt to host an Intranet site on the same box caused OWA to stop functioning. Is there a checklist or information available on the having OWA live next to other web applications/sites on the same box? Thanks, Eric ...