Web hyperlinks: default browser and resulting browser window size?

Hi,

Am using Excel 97 (I know it is old but I like it!) with Windows XP Pro
(SP2).

Have a series of web hyperlinks in a worksheet, that load the current
chart for a specified chart, from Yahoo Finance.  For example:
http://chart.finance.yahoo.com/c/1y/c/tls.ax will load the chart for
the Australian telco "Telstra".

All the links work just fine but have two questions:

1) My default internet browser is Firefox but the links always open
Internet Explorer.  Is there a way to ensure that Firefox is used?

2) The loaded chart appears in a maximised IE window.  Which is a bit
silly as the chart is pretty small.  Is there a way to make the opened
browser window to be just big enough for the contained chart?

Thanks and regards,

Geoff.

0
gjh3124 (4)
5/17/2006 5:40:58 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi Geoff,
When interacting with Excel,  I think you would be a lot better off to continue
using Internet Explorer with Excel.   For instance you cannot copy and paste
a Yahoo finance table from Firefox into Excel and get a data into cells across
a row, which is usually not much of a problem if you are pasting into IE.

In order to change the browser invoked from Excel you wouild probably
have to change registry settings, because changing the default browser
as you know does not change what Excel invokes.

You might change invoking the browser from a hyperlink to use in
a macro that invokes Firefox.

The two examples below are Event macros, I didn't include any
error checking and only hint at  what you might have in a cell.
Install by right click on sheet tab,  view code
More information on Event macros in
my use of shell is primarily used in my (using IE)
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/code/xl2htmlx.txt

Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick(ByVal Target As Range, _
       Cancel As Boolean)
  Dim RC As Long
  RC = Shell("C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe " & _
     "http://www." & Target.Value & ".com", 1)
 End Sub

or something like

Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick(ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As Boolean)
  Dim RC As Long, Filename As String
   Cancel = True
 '-- Filename = "C:\camera-canonG3\img_2359.jpg"
   Filename = "C:\camera-canonG3\25pct\" & target.value
   RC = Shell("C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe " & Filename, 1)
End Sub

I think the size and position of your window in both Firefox and IE tends to be
what you had been using before,  note the 1 in the shell indicates that the
--- Window has focus and is restored to its original size and position.
there are value  0-6 check VBE Help for shell,  a 3 would open as maximized.

Incidentally,  I have a pages on Firefox that you might be interested in
   http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/firefox.htm
---
HTH,

<gjh3124@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:1147844458.241630.38440@j55g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Hi,
>
> Am using Excel 97 (I know it is old but I like it!) with Windows XP Pro
> (SP2).
>
> Have a series of web hyperlinks in a worksheet, that load the current
> chart for a specified chart, from Yahoo Finance.  For example:
> http://chart.finance.yahoo.com/c/1y/c/tls.ax will load the chart for
> the Australian telco "Telstra".
>
> All the links work just fine but have two questions:
>
> 1) My default internet browser is Firefox but the links always open
> Internet Explorer.  Is there a way to ensure that Firefox is used?
>
> 2) The loaded chart appears in a maximised IE window.  Which is a bit
> silly as the chart is pretty small.  Is there a way to make the opened
> browser window to be just big enough for the contained chart?
>
> Thanks and regards,
>
> Geoff.

Hi David,

Thanks for the tip.  I have successfully used the first suggested
solution, it works just fine.

Strange thing is, my WinXP SP2 cratered a few days ago - when booting
is announced it could not find a file called 'hal.dll' and just
stopped.  This is the first problem I have had with XP, so compared to
W9X it is a great improvement.  No idea why this happened and have
restored/rebuilt the OS and all works just fine.

Why am I telling you this?  Well, before the cratering of XP, my
hyperlinks would open an IE page, nicely sized to just frame the
requested Yahoo Finance chart.  Now it doesn't. I guess I just wish I
knew how it used to work!!

Anyway, had a look at your FireFox page. I still have some "issues"
with opening IE-type pages in FireFox.  The only extension that seems
to work almost all the time is the "IE Tab" extension.

Well, thanks again for the assistance.

Good luck,

Geoff.

0
gjh3124 (4)
5/18/2006 8:01:59 AM
Hi Geoff,
a correction  for
   usually not much of a problem if you are pasting into IE.
should have been  --  if you are pasting from IE.

Actually I did not test which browser would be invoked from Excel,
and was surprised to see that Firefox which is now my default is
invoked as a hyperlink.   I probably did not have the browser should
check if it is default browser when I initially used Firefox and was
happy at the time for some inconsistencies.

in Firefox (1.5.0.3):  options, [x] Firefox should check to see if it is the
   default browser when starting.    (and it is my default)
in IE (6.0.2800.1106):  Options, internet options, programs,
    [ ]  Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the default browser.
which might explain why IE comes up in Excel macros, and that is what I
would want anyway when working with macros, and my own Excel generated
HTML coding (my page  xl2html.htm).

I think there is a default size normal or max that you can set up in IE, but
I could not find it in the options.

I would suggest you Google on    hal.dll     there are lots of hits, hopefully,
you would find something useful from among the early hits.
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_haldll_missing.htm  believes the situation
comes from setting up dual boot between  Windows 2000 and Windows XP,
and there are methods to repair including updates to his original problem.

Googling on a problem is always the first thing that comes to mind, and with
the help of a Firefox extension you can eliminate the Excel "forums"  (advertising
portals that rehash newsgroups) that so much interfer with use of Google web searches and newsgroups searches (Google Groups) as
well .

---
HTH,

Hi David

Thanks for your continuing help/comments.

On the newsgroups, I use Google Groups, which seems to be pretty good.

Had a look at the URL on 'hal.dll'.  In fact, I visited that site
during my little disaster.  The tricky thing is the "and re-install
windows xp." comment.  I am currently away from home and hence away
from my installation disks.  The only installation approach I had was
the "system restore" option on my DELL laptop, which re-formats the HDD
and puts the OS and device drivers back in place. Pretty severe.
Luckily, I also have 2 Linux distros on my laptop (thank heavens!), I
used one of these to create a Samba network in  the office I am
visiting, copied all my data, special programs, etc across to another
PC and ran the "system restore".  I should note that, if the OpenOffice
Excel equivalent had the function range of Excel, I would be using
Linux fulltime.

On the defaut browser: FireFox is set as the default browser, like you
commented and IE is not set as the default, like you commented.  If I
open an HTML file on the HDD, FireFox responds but the (original) Excel
worksheet hyperlinks still open IE.

I guess that this is just one of the mysteries of Windows.

Thanks again for the solution to the initial problem.

Regards,

Geoff.

0
gjh3124 (4)

how do i change the default value of measure from points to inche.
how do i change the default value of measure from points to inches when setting the width and hight of cells? You don't. Excel uses only points for these measures best wishes -- Bernard Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove CAPS in email address "yoyo4u" <yoyo4u@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:33420157-6E05-4A55-9003-088D731E495E@microsoft.com... > how do i change the default value of measure from points to inches when > setting the width and hight of cells? yoyo Row heights are measured in points. There are 72 points to an inch. Th...

defining accounts receivable default accounts
We would like the ability to have limitations on the accounts that can be selected for accounts receviable for a sales order transaction or receivable transaction. Currently you can select any account number for the RECEV trx type. We would like to define allowable accounts receivable accounts to avoid our current out of balance condition. This would limit the possibilities of reasons for ar trade to be out of balance to gl. This is a very hot issue at many clients in trying to reconcile ar to gl. This could also apply to AP!! Thanks, lori b. ---------------- This post is a sug...

Excel web query returns no data
When I enter a web addreess into IE it shows the page When I set up a web query in Excel it allows me to select the relevant tables, but then returns no data The same Excel query worked on previuous versions of Excel Web address for query http://www.bmreports.com/servlet/com.logica.neta.bwp_PanBM DataServlet?param1=T_CNQPS- 4&param2=&param3=&param4=&param5=2001-04-01&param6=* Any help appreciated ...

Windows update site problems
So whats happening with the windows update site ?I keep getting a message telling me there is a problem with the web page (am trying to update new installation of XP Home),is it me or the site,and when will it be sorted out? -- Be happy,Strat4axe "stat4axe" <strat4axe@hotmail.com(donotspam)> wrote in message news:36618CFD-EF82-4F82-A7C3-90CF2DDCCEA5@microsoft.com... > So whats happening with the windows update site ?I keep getting a message > telling me there is a problem with the web page (am trying to update new > installation of XP Home),is it me o...

Jounal Viewer
I have read questions posted but not any answer for this issue. In the Journal Viewer - the batch look up is defaulted showing the oldest batch first rather than showing the most recent batch first. Does anyone know how to change this to default to listing the most recent batch first? Appreciate any help. ...

Defaults on Print Sales Documents screen
Is there a way to set defaults on the boxes selected under the Picking Ticket column on the Print Sales Documents screen? Currently when we open the screen, we have to select which boxes to tick and since we always select the same boxes we wondered if there was a way to have them default when the screen is opened so we don't have to click each time. We want the "Picking Ticket Per Site" box, the "Include Kit Components" box and the "Bin Sequenced" box selected as default values. Thanks!! LMG, You can accomplish this with a small VBA customization, b...

Setting .doc default to .doc, not .dox
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel How do i do this for all new documents? > How do i do this for all new documents? I meant .doc instead of .docx Word> Preferences> Save, choose Word 97-2004 Document (.doc) from the Save Word files as: list - just keep in mind that you'll be constantly working in Compatibility Mode which will prevent the use of some of 2008's features. HTH |:>) Bob Jones [MVP] Office:Mac On 4/23/08 7:50 PM, in article ee99690.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "dbdbdb@officeformac.com" <dbdbdb@officeform...

hyperlinks within the same document are not working
Hi. I am trying to create an email publication in MS publisher 2007. It has several stories that will be sent out in email and the first section is supposed to contain a summary with hyperlinks to each story within the same email for more details. I am adding a bookmark at the begining of each story, and then trying to create a hyperlink in the summary section to the bookmark. However, when I send the publication as email, or do an email preview, the hyperlinks do not work. Please help! ...

Hyperlinks do not work in email in outlook
Shortly after installing the new service pack for Windows XP I began getting this message whenever I tried to click on a hyperlink in an email: "This operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator." I assume it is because some switch has been set. Could someone tell me how to regain the ability to use the embedded links in email in outlook? Thanks Bob <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Shortly after installing the new service pack for Windows > XP I began getting this message whene...

Changing Paper Size
We print a monthly newsletter which includes a pullout insert. This month we want to turn this pullout into a foldable brochure. Before I send it off to the printer (who prints our newsletter to 11X17 glossy paper), I want to make sure the pullout, when folded, displays the information correctly (not upside down or out of sequence). We print to a photocopier that users 11X17 size paper. I cannot figure out a way to print two successive pages (8.5 X 11 each) to one sheet of 11X17 paper (ie., pages 2 and 4 to one sheet of paper). I tried doing this by changing the printer options to 11X17 b...

Page setup / page / size??????
Hi, When you are in design view and you click on 'Page setup / page / size' are the options listed based on the printer you have installed or are they options that Access knows? If I select any of the options listed will they work on any printer? Thanks, Phil They are printer-specific. -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org. "Phillip" <Phillip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:92C07A38-11FE-4620-97C...

How can I send e-mail as a web page
Hi! I am in the process of creating "Newsletters", and it will be a web page/html file. Is there a way I can send this to recipients so that it will be displayed as a web page in their e-mail? Outlook express had a shortcut for this, but I cannot seem to find this function in Outlook 2003. Thanks in advance : ) You either send from within the program you created the html webpage or from within Outlook use; Insert-> File...-> select HTML file-> press little down arrow on Insert-> choose Insert as Text -- Roady [MVP] www.sparnaaij.net Microsoft Office and Microsoft Off...

XP Home SP 2 and Web based Outlook
I used to be able to flawlessly remotely access Outlook remotely using IE and SP1. However, once I installed SP2, I can longer reply to any messages. My INBOX appears correctly and I can view messages, but once I hit the REPLY icon, the message I was viewing disappears and I am returned to my INBOX rather than being able to compose a message. I upgraded to SP2 on two different computers and the same problems exists on both machines. SP2 for Windows XP includes a built-in popup stopper for Internet Explorer. Open Internet Explorer and select Tools | Internet Options | Privacy tab. Se...

excel windows in taskbar
Is there a way to make the "show windows in taskbar" option a global default for excel? I have to go to Tools>Options>View and check the Windows In Taskbar box every day for every document to make it work. Is there a way to make it stick? http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=21581 -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com dork What version of Excel? Always good to state the version because some problems are version-specific and trouble-shooting is easier. From a posting by Debra Dalgleish............. There's some information in the following MSKB...

Default value for custom field?
How can I populate a custom field with a default value? Specifically, I have a custom field "DisplayName" associated with the Quote Detail object. I want initially to populate this field with the value of the product name field when a new product is added to a quote. The user can then edit the DisplayName custom field if desired. The DisplayName custom field will be used as the product name on a Crystal Reports quote form. ...

SBS 2008 RWW Internal web site access
I have a strange issue. I have a client who has four laptops on an SBS 2008 domain. Three are windows 7 one is XP. All work great inside the office. However, when any of the users attempt to connect to the internal website through RWW on the outside they get a page cannot be displayed message. I verified that port 987 is open on the firewall. Using computers at our location or any other computer, from any other site not associated with their domain, can connect successfully to RWW and the internal web site. I’ve verified that the certificate is installed on their computers. I ver...

Here is fix for Windows file problems
If you have installed a Windows update and started having problems opening, closing, copying files, see: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.excel.misc&mid=1fe358b1-c8eb-4217-ad2a-4b9fcf741916 ...

Window "visibility"
I'm trying to create a window that is inherited from CDialog - but I want the window to not only show up under the "Windows" pulldown from the main menu, but also show up as a taskbar item under Windows XP. I'm using Visual Studio 6.0, and can get the first such window to show up as a taskbar item by creating it with a NULL parent. However, every other dialog created (and there are several - all modeless) get tied to the first dialog. Must I resort to using CFormView as the base class? ...

initial default column width
Is there a way to configure Excel 2000 so that when I create a new Workbook or add a new Worksheet so that all the columns have a particular width instead of the default 64 pixels? TIA Create the workbook exactly the way you want it, then save it as a template with the name "Book.xlt" (no quotes) in you XLStart directory. It'll be then used as the template for new workbooks. Likewise, save a one-sheet workbook as a template, named "Sheet.xlt" for the template for Insert/Worksheet. In article <419E181F.6251D20D@nospam.net>, Bruceh <bruce@nospam.net&...

Windows 7 uninstall
Well, fool that I am sometimes, I bought an upgrade to Windows 7 Professional at Costco to put on my Dell laptop which is running Vista Home Premium. Turns out I can't do the upgrade but can do an install. So I did, turns out that I now have both operating systems running and hardly any room left on partition D. Next step, I think, is to uninstall 7 and rethink the whole thing. I haven't been happy with Vista, makes the laptop run terribly slow, wish I'd gotten XP instead. Dell's answer to me was to buy another computer, running 7. How does one go about...

UAC prompt when opening Windows Live Mail
Why does this pop up each time I open Windows Live Mail? Is there someway to tell it that it is ok for WLM to open so that I don't have to keep clicking on it? Have you toggled on the option for the WLM shortcut(properties/advanced tab) to 'Run as Administrator' in Vista or Windows 7 ? If so, uncheck it. -- ...winston ms-mvp mail "myschnucki" <myschnucki@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1499C644-21AF-4231-A50E-1C0D885A676E@microsoft.com... > Why does this pop up each time I open Windows Live Mail? Is there someway to >...

5.5 actual database size
Which formula does exchange 5.5 standard use to decide if it's reached 16G 1. Database size = file size 2. Database size = file size - free space (shown by event 1221) I just need to know if I have to do an offline defrag or not as event 1221 is showing around 4G of free space (after a lot of archiving) but the file size is very close to 16G. Thanks in advance. Pete "=?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZUw=?=" <PeteL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:367267BB-1251-4F6A-9101-A6751320EB23@microsoft.com: > Which formula does exchange 5.5 standard use to decide if it's reached...

Windows CE and Databases in VS 2005 #2
I want to create a DB app in windows CE. I do not have experience with t CE. Can you still use .cdb files in Windows CE? Or must one use SQL databases? It seems there's not much documentation for this. Any help appreciated!!! TIA b ...

New Windows Tempalte LIbrary (WTL) 7.1 released
This version provides full support for Visual Studio .NET 2003 and Windows XP and CE. Download links: http://wtl.50megs.com/wtl.htm > This version provides full support for Visual Studio .NET 2003 and Windows > XP and CE. > > Download links: > http://wtl.50megs.com/wtl.htm Wow - intersting way to promote your politicala agenda. Back on topic.. has anyone ever written documentation for WTL? One of the beefs I had about it when tring to use it 3 years ago was the utter lack of documentation. -- Jim Johnson ...

Create your personal SMS homepage, let friends send FREE text message to your mobile phone by web
Create your personal SMS homepage, let friends send FREE text message to your mobile phone by web Support over 147 countries and ALL languages (unicode encoding) MSG.to provides a unique personal SMS URL for you. It is easy for friends sending text message to you by web. For example, if your name is Lisa, you can register: http://MSG.to/Lisa (you can use this link to see demo) You can also register your mobile phone number as SMS URL like: http://MSG.to/+886913123456 (you can use this link to see demo) Please visit http://msg.to/ for more information. Related keywords: Short Message Serv...