Want to avoid pasted text becoming dates

Occasionally, I will paste from a table arrangement on a website.
Sometimes, this data will contain text that has some characteristics
of a date, eg, 3/16 as a fraction.

I could live with it becoming 0.1875, but not March 16, 2005.  How can
I prevent Excel's intelligence from overcoming my stupidity <g>.

TIA, George

0
nospam8746 (11)
5/17/2005 12:48:21 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

One work-around is to paste into notepad.
Save that file as *.txt

Then open that text file in excel.  You'll be prompted by the text import wizard
for how you want each field.

--

Dave Peterson
0
<ec35720@netscapeXSPAM.com> wrote:

>One work-around is to paste into notepad.
>Save that file as *.txt
>
>Then open that text file in excel.  You'll be prompted by the text import wizard
>for how you want each field.

That sounds good; I'll give it a try.  The only problem will be in
figuring out the delimiters, but tab characters will probably be
insertrd, making it easy.  Thanks!

>GeorgeB wrote:
>>
>> Occasionally, I will paste from a table arrangement on a website.
>> Sometimes, this data will contain text that has some characteristics
>> of a date, eg, 3/16 as a fraction.
>>
>> I could live with it becoming 0.1875, but not March 16, 2005.  How can
>> I prevent Excel's intelligence from overcoming my stupidity <g>.

0
nospam8746 (11)

How do I change a view window's text?
Greetings! I am working on my first MDI application in Visual C++ 6.0. If I have a view window open and I want to change the file whose data is displayed in the view, I also want to have the title bar of the view window show the name of the new file. I tried calling SetWindowText(newFileName) from my OnFileOpen() event handler, but the file name did not appear. What do I need to do? Also, when the New button is clicked, I get a new view window, as expected. The title of the first view window is TrendV1, the next is TrendV2, and so on. Where are those strings generated and how would I ch...

Copy text from cell and paste it in a separate text box (contents to be linked)
Dear Experts: With some cells in a colum selected (say 10 selected cells in a column: contiguous range) I would like a macro to copy the contents of these cells and paste the contents of each cell in separate text field. Now here it comes. The pasted contents in the text field should be linked to the cell contents, i.e. whenever the cell's contents is changed, the contents of the text field should reflect this. Is this feasible? Help is much appreciated. Thank you very much in advance. Regards, Andreas Again, Detail and before/after examples. -- Don Guil...

How do I include a date column in the Axis in Excel?
I'm creating a graph from a series of values in one column. In the adjacent column I have the date the value is entered. How can I get these dates to appear on the axis of the graph? On May 16, 4:54=A0pm, Greeneliza <Greenel...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I'm creating a graph from a series of values in one column. =A0In the adj= acent > column I have the date the value is entered. =A0How can I get these dates= to > appear on the axis of the graph? Please go to:- http://www.pierrefondes.com/ Item number 52. Pull up the Workbook on the sc...

I want to recover the attachments outlook removed
I've now changed the registry to allow .html attachments. I would now like to recover the ones outlook removed when I opened them. Is that possible? They were not removed (if you're talking about Outlook and not Outlook Express). If you changed the registry and restarted Outlook, you should see them. What version of Outlook? -- Patricia Cardoza Outlook MVP www.cardozasolutions.com Author, Special Edition Using Microsoft Outlook 2003 ***Please post all replies to the newsgroups*** "Pierre" <info@uswonline.com> wrote in message news:041301c3dedd$c9fd5f70$a301280a@p...

trying to edit formula causes it to become text
I have created formulas in excel 2000 that work. When I try to edit them, however, by clicking in the formula bar they become text. In other words the formula shows up in the cell instead of the value. No matter what I do I can't get the value to show up even though the "=" sign is present at the beginning. So once I create a formula using the function dialogs, I can edit anything or even click in the formula bar without messing it up. example: This formula works, but if I try to change C5 to C6 then the formula shows up in the cell instead of the value. NOTHING else ...

Copy and Paste issue from Excel to Outlook
We recently migrated to a new MS Exchange Server and new desktops - still running XP. I have an Excel document that we daily copy from and paste into an Outlook email. The document is formatted a certain way in Excel and we were able to paste it nicely into Outlook in the previous environment. In the new environment the paste does not work - the formatting gets changed. I've tried many things and none work. I've compared the settings in both systems for both Excel and Outlook and they are the same. Is there some server setting or desktop setting that someone is awar...

CNTL+ Does Not Insert Current Date
I read in the help that if i do a CNTL+ that the current date will be inserted into the active cell - but in my case it does nothing. Is there a way to "reset" something so that the current date is inserted as advertiesed? Hi Jim Ctrl ; -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Jim Avery" <jimav3@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23RDlZjBzFHA.3660@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... >I read in the help that if i do a CNTL+ that the current date will be inserted into the active cell - but in my case it does >nothing. Is there a way to "reset&q...

Consecutive dates
I work at a school and need to set up a daily attendance register which obviously excludes week-ends. How do I create these dates e.g. Mon 16 Feb, Tues 17 Feb, Wed 18 Feb etc PS Love the site, thank you so much it's so helpful Hi one way: in A1 (your starting cell) enter your starting date in A2 enter =WORKDAY(A1,1) copy down -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Diana wrote: > I work at a school and need to set up a daily attendance register > which obviously excludes week-ends. How do I create these dates e.g. > Mon 16 Feb, Tues 17 Feb, Wed 18 Feb etc. > > PS Lo...

pasting charts into word or powerpoint
Sometimes my portrait sized charts "turn into" portrait format when I copy and paste from Excel to a Word doc or powerpoint presentation. I've tried paste special as picture and various other combinations, sometimes with success and sometimes now............... why or why does this occur, and more importantly - how can I get them to stop doing it! thx - trish ...

How can I use dates in a formula?
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I want to grab todays date in an excel formula, and subtract it from another date. <br><br>For example, our quarter ends on march 31, 2010. I want to figure out the number of days left in the quarter. What would even be cooler is to only factor in work days.........anyone know how to do this? > This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3349185821_330156 Content-type: text/plain; charset=&qu...

Outlook 2007 Rich Text Support
It is my undertsnading that Outlook 2007 uses a special Word DLL for all its rich text editing. Does anyone know which DLL this is and what interfaces (if any) are exposed for this? GW. check in the programming group for this. "Gee Weez" <weez.gee@gmail.com> wrote in message news:c8a624dc-d0ac-4449-8f94-cf5aace4b930@e10g2000prf.googlegroups.com... > > It is my undertsnading that Outlook 2007 uses a special Word DLL for > all its rich text editing. > > Does anyone know which DLL this is and what interfaces (if any) are > exposed for this? > > GW. ...

Counting consecutive strings of text 01-27-10
Hi I want to count the number of consecutive strings of text in a column where the text string will be indispersed by something like "NA": Seagrass Seagrass Seagrass Seagrass NA NA Seagrass Seagrass ... I want to count the number of times Seagrass appears before a break of NA's then count the next string of Seagrass. Presumably I would have a couple of cells as a result (in this case 4 & 2) Assuming that there will only be one break...in other words, you won't have something like this: seagrass na seagrass seagrass na na seagrass Try th...

How to stop check date from changing when downloading from bank
I recently switched to Money after using Quicken for about 15 years. I can't figure out how to stop the date in the register from changing, when I download my bank transactions, from the original date I entered when I wrote the checks to the date when the check clears. This is a problem, for example, with checks for charitable donations that I wrote and sent off in 07 but don't clear until 08. In Quicken, the date remained in the register the same even after downloading the cleared transactions. Thanks for your help. "Harry in NY" <HarryinNY@discussions.micr...

Fast Way of copying and paste to the same account
Is there a faster way of copying and pasting within the same account rather than using the Copy To Account... context menu option? It would have been nice if one could use Ctrl C and Ctrl V... Oh well... ...

in WORD DOCUMENT, I want to type in a 9-digit phone number "xxxxxx
in WORD DOCUMENT, I want to type in a 9-digit phone number "xxxxxxxxx" and have it automatically change to the following format: (xxx) xxx-xxxx. Please help The only way to do it automatically in Word is to have the number entered into a Text FormField that is formatted as a Number field with the appropriate formatting switch in a document that is protected for filling in forms. -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my services on a paid consulting basis. Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.mic...

Carriage return in a text cell
Is it possible to enter a carriage return in a text cell so that two individual items appear on separate lines when the text is wrapped? -- Bob http://www.kanyak.com Bob Press Alt and Enter together. Regards Trevor "Opinicus" <gezgin@spamcop.net> wrote in message news:139hsmmnardv125@news.supernews.com... > Is it possible to enter a carriage return in a text cell so that two > individual items appear on separate lines when the text is wrapped? > > -- > Bob > http://www.kanyak.com > Alt + Enter This is one line Alt + Enter This is nex...

paste values without copy-paste values
Can I replace the copy-paste values code with something like <range>.cells(i,j).value = <range>.cells(k,l).formula ? (or .text or .? or ....) I have a standard list with standard columns, and operational lists with subsets of columns. I also have an equivalence table between columns, to accomodate for titleswitching, missing columns and changes in the order. Now when I try a nested loop for rows and columns, applying a "<standardlistrange>.cells(i,j).formula = <operationalrange>.cells(i,k).value" formula to every cell, I get good results, ...

Creating a report with dates using month not year in access
I am trying to create a report or something similar that will pull up our clients birthdays, but only by month. Right now they are listing them by Year then by month. I don't want the Year to play a factor in the report. I am fairly new to access, so I would need a little help explaining how to do this. Thank you! WHERE Month([DOB]) = [Enter Birthday Month] -- Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP "Cristina" wrote: > I am trying to create a report or something similar that will pull up our > clients birthdays, but only by month. Right now they are listing them by Year...

Using less than a date in Code
To prevent date mistyping of the new year, I'd like code to run on the AfterUpdate event of my DateInspected control if the user accidentally inputs a date before 2/28/09 (for instance, 1/4/09 - when it probably should be 1/4/10) My table is storing the date in 2/28/09 format. Here is my code: Private Sub DateInspected_AfterUpdate() If Me.DateInspected < 2 / 28 / 2009 Then MsgBox "Please double check the date", vbOKOnly, "Attention" End If End Sub Thanks so much for your help! Pamela You need If Me.DateInspected < #2/28/2009# You always nee...

copy when the date is entered
I have 12 sheets (months of the year) what I would like to be able to d is copy a row of data, say from Jan to Jul automatically when I enter date in the date collumn it also sends a copy into Jul. I have an excel book but can not find anything about this. Any ideas welcome. Thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com beesht, You will need to write some code in the worksheet_change event for each worksheet (possible only a pointer to a subroutine passing parameters) which tests which cell is being changed, and if the one you wnat, the do the copy you want. Steve >-----O...

Need to block emails slipping past my IMF filters
Occasionally I get a few ejunk emails that seem to slip past my SPAM filters. Below is the email header information. I want to block these certain emails in ESM. Using the below given information what would you suggest is the best way. SBS 2003 Premium Exchange 2003 IMF ISA 2000 Microsoft Mail Internet Headers Version 2.0 Received: from 222.232.76.172 ([222.232.76.172]) by MYDOMAIN.COM with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.211); Thu, 26 May 2005 07:25:38 -0700 Received: from [84.185.151.122] (port=2540 helo=[Kirby]) by 222.232.76.172 with esmtp id 4361051673Edgardo80906 for use...

How do I send text to KList with StdIn?
I'm desperately trying to automate KList(in the resource kit) to purge kerberos tickets and for the life of me I can't figure out how I have this:- Set objShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell") Set objExecObject = objShell.Exec("%comspec% /c klist.exe purge") Do Until objExecObject.StdOut.AtEndOfStream strLine = objExecObject.StdOut.ReadLine() wscript.echo strLine strIP = Instr(strLine,"Purge") If strIP <> 0 Then wscript.echo strLine objExecObject.StdIn.Write "y" End If Loop And it just doesn'...

Maintain gif,jpeg compression when pasted from IE
In Publisher 2003. My students are pasting pictures from the web. publisher files over 5Mb have been reduced to 300Kb by using the "compress pictures" button. As pictures from the web are compressed already. Why are the pictures not left in their orginal format/compression? Or alternatively can we force compress pictures to "on" by default. You cannot have the compress picture on by default. Put the icon on your picture toolbar, it will be more convenient. The ClipArt site uses the compression so pages load more quickly. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.micr...

Short date format
When I enter a birthdate that is prior to 1925, the display is 20.. instead of 19.. I would like to make the default year 1901. For instance, if I enter 2/2/02, the display should be 2/2/1902 insteand of 2/2/2002. Thanks for any help you may render. narfla Try enterin the year as 4 digits. The problem you are having is how a DLL sets the dates for entries of 2 digits. Changing it, changes it for everything on the computer. Right now the date of century change is 2029. That can be altered in Control Panel >>> Regional Settings >>> Regional >>> Customize -- ...

Typing "B" throws the cursor backward and deletes text -- fix?
I know there is a macro or something set up here, but I can't find it. Typing a "B" throws my cursor backward and highlights text. It's driving me nuts! This happens in Office documents, Outlook, and Explorer. Can anybody tell me where to look to fix this major annoyance? ...