Want click "+" like in Explorer and have Excel show hidden list, click "-" and hide list

Hi all,

I have seen this before and have searched the web but can't find it.
Probably because I don't know how to describe it very well.

You know how MS Explorer has a "+" beside the "C" drive, you can click on
the + and it reveals the folders and folder names under the +. The "+"
becomes a "-". You can click on the "-" and explorer hides the list again.

That's all I want.... Does anybody know how to do it? I have Office 2002,
Excel 10.6501.

Much appreciated...

For the help.

0
rshep (3)
1/3/2006 5:30:56 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

You can get those outlining symbols in a couple of ways:

Select your range of rows (or columns)
Data|Group and outline|Group

Or by applying Data|Subtotals.

--

Dave Peterson
0
>I have seen this before and have searched the web but can't find it.
>Probably because I don't know how to describe it very well.

Do you mean outlining? If so, it's under Data > Group and Outline.

0
hrlngrv (1990)
1/3/2006 5:46:01 PM
rshep <rshep@noname.com> wrote in

> Hi all,
>
> I have seen this before and have searched the web but can't find it.
> Probably because I don't know how to describe it very well.
>
> You know how MS Explorer has a "+" beside the "C" drive, you can click
> on the + and it reveals the folders and folder names under the +. The
> "+" becomes a "-". You can click on the "-" and explorer hides the
> list again.
>
> That's all I want.... Does anybody know how to do it? I have Office
> 2002, Excel 10.6501.
>
> Much appreciated...
>
> For the help.

Dave and Harlan

Wow! This group is great. Thanks for the fast replies.

I tried it on a text based list (about 5 rows)

data:group:rows

However, I notice that Excel puts the + - all the way to the left to the
left of the row number.

Excel also places the + one row below the actual label. That seems visually
confusing to me. Is there a way to have Excel place the + on the same row
as the label that identifies the hidden list?

Is there a way to have it look and behave like Microsoft Explorer so that
it puts the + right beside the label?

Again, thanks for the replies!

Royce

0
rshep (3)
1/3/2006 9:00:34 PM
Not really.

You could fiddle around with buttons to hide/show rows, but I think your time
will be better spent learning to accept excel for what it does naturally <bg>.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Select rows 2 to 10, using the row headers, so that the *entire* row range
is selected.

Hold <Shift> + <Alt>
then hit <RightArrow>

This groups rows 2 to 10, with the outline symbol ( - ) next to Row11.

NOW ... <Data> <Group&Outline> <Settings>
*UNCHECK*
"Summary Rows Below Detail", then <OK>

This moves the outline symbol next to Row1.

Is that what you're looking for?

You'll notice that the same change can also be made for columns.

BTW ... you can ungroup by using the <LeftArrow>

HTH,

RD

"rshep" <rshep@noname.com> wrote in message
> rshep <rshep@noname.com> wrote in
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have seen this before and have searched the web but can't find it.
> > Probably because I don't know how to describe it very well.
> >
> > You know how MS Explorer has a "+" beside the "C" drive, you can click
> > on the + and it reveals the folders and folder names under the +. The
> > "+" becomes a "-". You can click on the "-" and explorer hides the
> > list again.
> >
> > That's all I want.... Does anybody know how to do it? I have Office
> > 2002, Excel 10.6501.
> >
> > Much appreciated...
> >
> > For the help.
> >

> Dave and Harlan
>
> Wow! This group is great. Thanks for the fast replies.
>
> I tried it on a text based list (about 5 rows)
>
> data:group:rows
>
> However, I notice that Excel puts the + - all the way to the left to the
> left of the row number.
>
> Excel also places the + one row below the actual label. That seems
visually
> confusing to me. Is there a way to have Excel place the + on the same row
> as the label that identifies the hidden list?
>
> Is there a way to have it look and behave like Microsoft Explorer so that
> it puts the + right beside the label?
>
> Again, thanks for the replies!
>
> Royce

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
1/4/2006 12:12:55 AM
"RagDyer" <RagDyer@cutoutmsn.com> wrote in

> If I understand what you're asking,
>
> Select rows 2 to 10, using the row headers, so that the *entire* row
> range is selected.
>
> Hold <Shift> + <Alt>
> then hit <RightArrow>
>
> This groups rows 2 to 10, with the outline symbol ( - ) next to Row11.
>
> NOW ... <Data> <Group&Outline> <Settings>
> *UNCHECK*
> "Summary Rows Below Detail", then <OK>
>
> This moves the outline symbol next to Row1.
>
> Is that what you're looking for?
>
> You'll notice that the same change can also be made for columns.
>
> BTW ... you can ungroup by using the <LeftArrow>
>

> HTH,
>
> RD
>

> "rshep" <rshep@noname.com> wrote in message
>> rshep <rshep@noname.com> wrote in
>>
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I have seen this before and have searched the web but can't find
>> > it. Probably because I don't know how to describe it very well.
>> >
>> > You know how MS Explorer has a "+" beside the "C" drive, you can
>> > click on the + and it reveals the folders and folder names under
>> > the +. The "+" becomes a "-". You can click on the "-" and explorer
>> > hides the list again.
>> >
>> > That's all I want.... Does anybody know how to do it? I have Office
>> > 2002, Excel 10.6501.
>> >
>> > Much appreciated...
>> >
>> > For the help.
>> >

>> Dave and Harlan
>>
>> Wow! This group is great. Thanks for the fast replies.
>>
>> I tried it on a text based list (about 5 rows)
>>
>> data:group:rows
>>
>> However, I notice that Excel puts the + - all the way to the left to
>> the left of the row number.
>>
>> Excel also places the + one row below the actual label. That seems
> visually
>> confusing to me. Is there a way to have Excel place the + on the same
>> row as the label that identifies the hidden list?
>>
>> Is there a way to have it look and behave like Microsoft Explorer so
>> that it puts the + right beside the label?
>>
>> Again, thanks for the replies!
>>
>> Royce

RagDyer

That's it!

Thanks man. Thanks to all.

0
rshep (3)
1/4/2006 1:47:43 AM
Appreciate the feed-back.
--

Regards,

RD
-------------------
-------------------

"RagDyer" <RagDyer@cutoutmsn.com> wrote in

> If I understand what you're asking,
>
> Select rows 2 to 10, using the row headers, so that the *entire* row
> range is selected.
>
> Hold <Shift> + <Alt>
> then hit <RightArrow>
>
> This groups rows 2 to 10, with the outline symbol ( - ) next to Row11.
>
> NOW ... <Data> <Group&Outline> <Settings>
> *UNCHECK*
> "Summary Rows Below Detail", then <OK>
>
> This moves the outline symbol next to Row1.
>
> Is that what you're looking for?
>
> You'll notice that the same change can also be made for columns.
>
> BTW ... you can ungroup by using the <LeftArrow>
>

> HTH,
>
> RD
>

> "rshep" <rshep@noname.com> wrote in message
>> rshep <rshep@noname.com> wrote in
>>
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I have seen this before and have searched the web but can't find
>> > it. Probably because I don't know how to describe it very well.
>> >
>> > You know how MS Explorer has a "+" beside the "C" drive, you can
>> > click on the + and it reveals the folders and folder names under
>> > the +. The "+" becomes a "-". You can click on the "-" and explorer
>> > hides the list again.
>> >
>> > That's all I want.... Does anybody know how to do it? I have Office
>> > 2002, Excel 10.6501.
>> >
>> > Much appreciated...
>> >
>> > For the help.
>> >

>> Dave and Harlan
>>
>> Wow! This group is great. Thanks for the fast replies.
>>
>> I tried it on a text based list (about 5 rows)
>>
>> data:group:rows
>>
>> However, I notice that Excel puts the + - all the way to the left to
>> the left of the row number.
>>
>> Excel also places the + one row below the actual label. That seems
> visually
>> confusing to me. Is there a way to have Excel place the + on the same
>> row as the label that identifies the hidden list?
>>
>> Is there a way to have it look and behave like Microsoft Explorer so
>> that it puts the + right beside the label?
>>
>> Again, thanks for the replies!
>>
>> Royce

RagDyer

That's it!

Thanks man. Thanks to all.

0
ragdyer1 (4060)

Excel 2003
Is there a way to show 2 series as 2 stacked columns on 1 chart? For example - x-axis = quarters of the year: Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4 left y-axis = projected sales by region as a stacked column right y-axis = actual sales by region as a stacked column Regions = America, Europe, EMEA, APAC This chart can help get a quarterly comparison of projections vs actuals by quarter and region. Thanks! Jon Peltier has a nice step by step procedure for this here http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ClusterStack.html -- HTH, Barb Reinhardt "Robyda" wrote: > Is there a way to show 2 ...

2007 -> Money+/update Part II, would you like another account?
When I did the initial upgrade to Money+ or the patch right before I had to disable my Citibank account then re enable it. This process went fine and was working for like the last month. I think there was another update last week or so and ever since then when I update it adds duplicate accounts for my Citibank Checking and Savings account then complains at me to merge. If I tell it to merge then it wants to discard all my entries in these accounts for the last year… (Needless to say I don’t want to do this) So now even if I do merge the accounts the next time I go to update it adds ...

excel values from + to -
how to cahnge a selected series of values from positive to negative in one swoop thanks Hi - enter -1 in an empty cell - copy this cell - select your numbers - goto 'Edit - Paste Special' and select 'Multiply' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "jjshariff" <jjshariff@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:1B0A1081-D1AE-4978-8C46-B9A193B33851@microsoft.com... > how to cahnge a selected series of values from positive to negative in one > swoop > > thanks Hi jjshariff Enter -1 In a empty cell and copy this cell Select y...

MAKE ALL IT CERTIFICATIONS
MAKE ALL IT CERTIFICATIONS - A PIECE OF CAKE Hello Friends, Now all IT Certifications like MCSE, MCTS, MBS, SCJB, A+, CCIE, CCNA, CCNP, Oracle 10g 9i, IBM, HP, Vmware and many more are made a Piece of Cake. Visit Now http://www.FreeExamKing.com and become an IT Certified in first attempt. ...

Excel is working slowly when I have several tabs with 20,000+ rows---- any way to speed it up?
Hello - I am having a consistent problem when I build a series of spreadsheets that contain many rows (usually about 20-50,000 rows in several spreadsheets), and contain several "if formulas", and contain several Vlookup formulas. I get a "calculating cells" message for basically every little thing I do--making my work very, very slow. Just to simply add a column, it will take as long as a minute. I have excel 2003. Any recommendations on how I can avoid this problem, or make things go faster? Thanks. Mike You could switch off auto recalc (Tools>Options...>Calcu...

CSV Import Error on text field with +- (Excel 2003)
Hi, I'm trying to import the following file (test.txt) in Excel 2003: [Start of File] Header 1,Header 2 A test+-20,A test|30+-20 [End of File] When I attempt to import this, I specify both columns as Text in the Wizard. However, I get the following in Excel: A1: Header 1 A2: Header 2 B1: A test+20 B2: A test|30+20 It's dumping the minus sign on me. Does anyone: (a) know why this is happening, (b) know how to get around it, and (c) know any related problems that I may encounter when importing? (b) is most relevant to me at present. The others are nice-to-know things. Thanks, S...

Excel macro list
In Excel 2003 I used to be able to list all macros in a workbook by pressing Alt+F8. Now all I get is a series of ribbon help letters... What's changed? Is there still a way of accessing macros via Alt+F8? Any suggestions appreciated. Hi, ALT+F8 works for me in E2007. What do you mean by 'I get is a series of ribbon help letters' Mike "pbaker6" wrote: > In Excel 2003 I used to be able to list all macros in a workbook by pressing > Alt+F8. Now all I get is a series of ribbon help letters... What's changed? > Is there still a way of...

(Cut
Problem : I am coding a project in vc++. I am not able to cut and paste the row in the excel file from one cell to another. Will you PI suugest the code in vc++ for this implementation. My code : range = objSheet.GetRange(COleVariant("A8"), COleVariant("K6")); range.Select(); VARIANT result = range.Cut(....Demands for Destination value ?......) Thanks, Allen. ...

Can Excel email someone when a cell goes + or
So sort of like Conditional formatting where it changes colour - instead it adds rules to send an automatic email... Is this reaching for the stars? Start here Reload Internet http://www.rondebruin.nl/mail/change.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Reload Internet" <Reload Internet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:489C49F6-1F69-42FF-BFD9-0986EE9D4AA8@microsoft.com... > So sort of like Conditional formatting where it changes colour - instead it > adds rules to send an automatic email... Is this reaching for the stars? I bet VBA...

Excel 2007+AnalysisServices2005SP2: Pivot Table to SSAS why menu item "Options"->"Formulas" is disabled?
I am using Excel 2007 with SQL Server Analysis Services 2005 SP2. IN Excel 2007 I want to create calculated measure based on other measures, but I cannot do this for Pivot table. If I go to menu "Options"->"Formulas" I can see that it is disabled. Same menu is enabled if I create Pivot table based on cells in sheet. How can I create caclulated measure for Pivot Table based on SSAS? Thank you ...

Campaign Response + Marketing Lists -- Very Very URGENT
Hi All I want to add Marketing Lists in to Campaign Response form.. There is a lookup for selecting customer. In that lookup form the dropdown list contains Lead, Account, Contact. Is it possible to add Marketing List in to that? I want to show the Marketing lists in Campaing Response form... Can anybody please suggest me how to do? Thanks in Advance Madhuri A campaign response is for a single contact / company etc and not multiples which would be what you would have if it allowed you to select a markting list os the answer is no not at this time. ==========================...

MDI + Resizable Panel
in MDI, want panels like "search" / "favorites" / "media" in IE with features: 1. only one is visible. 2. can be hide. 3. resizable. 4. remember old inputs and size when hide and reshow. ...

How can I hide/unhide columns with those neat + and
Hi, I wonder how can I insert those neat little + and - signs that allows users of the sheet to quickly hide and unhide set of rows/columns? Would be nice feature to learn, but I don't even know what it is called, so it makes it hard to search from help or google =) -Sirritys Select the rows to group, Data>Group And Outline>Group -- HTH Bob Phillips (replace somewhere in email address with gmail if mailing direct) "Sirritys" <aki.koikkalainen@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1154416673.707982.87000@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > I wo...

open .chm file from VC++ - with Table Of Contents hidden
Hi All, how could i launch/open a .chm file from my app(VC++ - VS2005), where in the ..chm has to open by default without any TOC(table of contents) in the .chm. In detail,I am using ::HtmlHelp(GetSafeHwnd(), sFileName, HH_DISPLAY_TOPIC,0); where sFileName is the path including the .chm file name. Now, when i execute the above piece of code I am getting .chm launched but with EXPANDED TOC, which i dont require for my functionality. Can any one suggest, How by default the TOC can be hidden and the .chm can be launched ?? I mean currently HIDE, BACKWARD,FORWARD, PRINT ...

Exchange
Hi Folks, in the normal way, Outlook doesn't show the body of an e-mail. Can be changed in the registry by adding the key: "SaveAllMIMENotJustHeaders". Works fine. But if a mail is beeing sent/received over an Exchange Server, the body is cut off. Can this be changed? Regards, Alexander Hagenah -- [http://xaitax.de - hagenah@topconcepts.de] ...

Formatting of phone numbers- want to delete +1
I bought a new Microsoft 7 based computer and restored my .pst files to Office 2007 on it. Now all of my phone numbers are formatted with a +1 in front of the 10 digit number. I have researched this issue for 3 days and have not found a solution that works to delete this +1 which I believe is the country codde. Does anyone have a fix for this? The option not to add the country code to new phone numbers has always been here: Actions > Call Contact > New Call... > Dialing options There are very few if any reasons to do so, however. -- Russ Valentine "carolina...

Office 2011 Excel Beta 3+ cell right-click context menu won't work
I've been running the beta versions of Mac Office 2011. Up until Beta 3, I could right-click in an Excel cell and get the context menu as expected. Now, starting with Beta 3 and into Beta 4, I have lost that functionality. Has anyone experienced this? I can't find a preference/setting that would bring this feature back. This is very frustrating and I can't figure out what may have changed to cause this. On 7/14/10 10:17 AM, in article 8980e35e-864d-491e-a5d9-d11a494da5aa@u4g2000prn.googlegroups.com, "Michael Barry" <4mjbarry@gmail.com> wrote: > I've be...

Excel example-formula C4+C5 adds before data in C5 Can I get it t.
I'm trying to create a formula (for example): In cell D5 I want it to add C4+C5. I would like it to work only after there is data in C5, but not before. How can I get it to work only when there is data in C4 & C5? Right now its showing what I have in C4. =if(count(c4:c5)<2,"Not enough values!",c4+c5) New Excel User wrote: > > I'm trying to create a formula (for example): > In cell D5 I want it to add C4+C5. I would like it to work only after there > is data in C5, but not before. How can I get it to work only when there is > data in C4 & C5? R...

Excel is calculating strange since a long time ... (0.05+(-0.07)+0.02+0) =?
Type in a column 0.05 -0.07 0.02 0 and sum up all. What's the result ? -3.46945E-18 Common, where did they go to school ? See http://cpearson.com/excel/rounding.aspx In article <1191305712.538436.6370@y42g2000hsy.googlegroups.com>, weggler.willi@gmail.com wrote: > Type in a column > > 0.05 > -0.07 > 0.02 > 0 > > and sum up all. > > What's the result ? -3.46945E-18 > > Common, where did they go to school ? Excel and almost every other computer program maintain decimal (base 10) numbers in binary (base 2) floating point. Bina...

Historical Aged Trial Balance not showing 91-180 and 181 + after 9
We have upgraded to 9.0 and now our Historical Aged Trial Balance report is not now showing the last two columns of 91-180 days and 181 + days. It only shows the 91 + column. I am not sure how to change these calculated fields in Report Writer. If someone could helpe me, I would appreciate it!!! Thank you!!! Those calculated fields should already be there. Look for Period Amount4, Period Amount5, etc. in the calculated fields list for document details. You should also see Apply Bucket 4, Apply Bucket 5, etc. for payments and Total Bucket 4, etc. for the totals. -- Jim@TurboChe...

Excel 07 + iSeries Excel Add-In crashing
I am test bedding Vista and Office '07 with our legacy programs. As our main databases reside on an AS/400, we extract considerable data for reporting by way of the iSeries Access for Windows Excel Add-in. This has always worked fine in previous versions of Office. However, in Excel '07, when attempting to run the connection, the program crashes. The add-in works properly up until the point when the data is to be virtually transferred to the Excel sheet. (You can see the libraries and files, make field selections, and play with the data options etc.). Running the transfe...

GetForegroundWindow for layered+click-through+HWND_TOPMOST window
How can I determine if a layered (=click-through) + HWND_TOPMOST window is the current top level window? It's not possible to determine this by using GetForegroundWindow() because layered windows are being ignored. I can't believe that it's completely unknownin which order the windows have to be painted, so I guess that Windows does have this window somewhere in a collection, right? I was hoping that by going through this collection, I could find out what's the real foreground window. ...

Word+Excel
Hi, help me, please, I have workbook in Excel 2000 with 12 sheets with the same names of fields (changes only dates) and I need to every sheet was merged with diference file in the Word application. Thak you for your time and your advice. Lucka ...