vlookup cant be used

I need a way to transfer data. I have one sheet that contains all
information. All of this data needs to be transferred to a template ready
for print. I have contemplated using a vlookup to quicken the method,
although the data sheet will be moving too and from computers, and so the
vlookup will not work.
Is there any code that might possibly help me, i.e. a code that looks for
the datasheet and does some sort of vlookup after it has located the file?
Or should this problem be tackled using macros, although i imagine that this
will have the same effect.

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

How "ready for print"?  Are you just placing that data somewhere to print,
or using that data to calculate something to print?

I may have another solution for you.

Keith

"Mike" <mikerophone@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I need a way to transfer data. I have one sheet that contains all
> information. All of this data needs to be transferred to a template ready
> for print. I have contemplated using a vlookup to quicken the method,
> although the data sheet will be moving too and from computers, and so the
> vlookup will not work.
> Is there any code that might possibly help me, i.e. a code that looks for
> the datasheet and does some sort of vlookup after it has located the file?
> Or should this problem be tackled using macros, although i imagine that
this
> will have the same effect.

0
keith266 (11)
3/16/2005 1:47:59 PM
Both, that is i am placing the data somewhere and using that data to
calculate something, then print it to paper. The scenario is that i have a
workbook full of names and numbers, and a template that needs to have one
thing entered into it (i.e. some or name) and it will pop up with the
information in the workbook, the information in the workbook that is
required for that person.
The columns are as follows: name, surname, average work hours, pay rate per
hour, and overtime pay rate.
So when in the template, all i need to be able to do is enter the name of
one person, and it will come up with their surname, average work hours, pay
rate pre hour and overtime pay rate. Then i enter the number of hours they
worked in total, i have worked out a neat little formula that calculates how
much they need to be payed from this. Although one problem. I am required to
use a validation cell in the template, to be able to select the person from
a list. I know how to create a validation cell although i don't know how to
get the information from the other workbook. i was thinking a paste-link
macro of some sort. But i am unaware of any other more efficient ways of
doing this. I have limited knowledge of excel, i know macros and a little
about creating user forms. Hopefully someone has a solution to my
problem....
thanks
mike

"Keith Streich" <keith@pflow.com> wrote in message
> How "ready for print"?  Are you just placing that data somewhere to print,
> or using that data to calculate something to print?
>
> I may have another solution for you.
>
> Keith
>
> "Mike" <mikerophone@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I need a way to transfer data. I have one sheet that contains all
> > information. All of this data needs to be transferred to a template
ready
> > for print. I have contemplated using a vlookup to quicken the method,
> > although the data sheet will be moving too and from computers, and so
the
> > vlookup will not work.
> > Is there any code that might possibly help me, i.e. a code that looks
for
> > the datasheet and does some sort of vlookup after it has located the
file?
> > Or should this problem be tackled using macros, although i imagine that
> this
> > will have the same effect.

How about importing data from that worksheet into your calculating one.
Then you have access to it for lookups and validations.

> Both, that is i am placing the data somewhere and using that data to
> calculate something, then print it to paper. The scenario is that i have a
> workbook full of names and numbers, and a template that needs to have one
> thing entered into it (i.e. some or name) and it will pop up with the
> information in the workbook, the information in the workbook that is
> required for that person.
> The columns are as follows: name, surname, average work hours, pay rate
per
> hour, and overtime pay rate.
> So when in the template, all i need to be able to do is enter the name of
> one person, and it will come up with their surname, average work hours,
pay
> rate pre hour and overtime pay rate. Then i enter the number of hours they
> worked in total, i have worked out a neat little formula that calculates
how
> much they need to be payed from this. Although one problem. I am required
> use a validation cell in the template, to be able to select the person
from
> a list. I know how to create a validation cell although i don't know how
> get the information from the other workbook. i was thinking a paste-link
> macro of some sort. But i am unaware of any other more efficient ways of
> doing this. I have limited knowledge of excel, i know macros and a little
> about creating user forms. Hopefully someone has a solution to my
> problem....
> thanks
> mike
>
> "Keith Streich" <keith@pflow.com> wrote in message
> > How "ready for print"?  Are you just placing that data somewhere to
print,
> > or using that data to calculate something to print?
> >
> > I may have another solution for you.
> >
> > Keith
> >
> > "Mike" <mikerophone@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > I need a way to transfer data. I have one sheet that contains all
> > > information. All of this data needs to be transferred to a template
> ready
> > > for print. I have contemplated using a vlookup to quicken the method,
> > > although the data sheet will be moving too and from computers, and so
> the
> > > vlookup will not work.
> > > Is there any code that might possibly help me, i.e. a code that looks
> for
> > > the datasheet and does some sort of vlookup after it has located the
> file?
> > > Or should this problem be tackled using macros, although i imagine
that
> > this
> > > will have the same effect.

0
keith266 (11)
3/17/2005 4:16:38 PM
I see what you mean. I tried it and it works ok now. Thanks so much for your
help.

> How about importing data from that worksheet into your calculating one.
> Then you have access to it for lookups and validations.
>
> "Mike" <mikerophone@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Both, that is i am placing the data somewhere and using that data to
> > calculate something, then print it to paper. The scenario is that i have
> > workbook full of names and numbers, and a template that needs to have
one
> > thing entered into it (i.e. some or name) and it will pop up with the
> > information in the workbook, the information in the workbook that is
> > required for that person.
> > The columns are as follows: name, surname, average work hours, pay rate
> per
> > hour, and overtime pay rate.
> > So when in the template, all i need to be able to do is enter the name
of
> > one person, and it will come up with their surname, average work hours,
> pay
> > rate pre hour and overtime pay rate. Then i enter the number of hours
they
> > worked in total, i have worked out a neat little formula that calculates
> how
> > much they need to be payed from this. Although one problem. I am
required
> > use a validation cell in the template, to be able to select the person
> from
> > a list. I know how to create a validation cell although i don't know how
> > get the information from the other workbook. i was thinking a paste-link
> > macro of some sort. But i am unaware of any other more efficient ways of
> > doing this. I have limited knowledge of excel, i know macros and a
little
> > about creating user forms. Hopefully someone has a solution to my
> > problem....
> > thanks
> > mike
> >
> > "Keith Streich" <keith@pflow.com> wrote in message
> > > How "ready for print"?  Are you just placing that data somewhere to
> print,
> > > or using that data to calculate something to print?
> > >
> > > I may have another solution for you.
> > >
> > > Keith
> > >
> > > "Mike" <mikerophone@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > ready
> > the
> > for
> > file?
> that
> > > this

Microsoft Icons for Web Use
I have several Office documents I'm linking to on my web site and I'm looking for where I can download the icons for the Office applications. Anyone? Specifically, I need an icon for MS Word and MS Excel. It was much easier to find the Acrobat icon for use. :( Thump If you have Office you already have access to the icons. Select one of the applications in the MS Office folder then Command+I for Get Info. Click the icon in the Get Info window & Command+C to copy it, Paste to wherever. NOTE: As an FYI, as with all corporate logos & trademarks there are copyright restrictio...

UPDATE using SUM
I have a stored procedure where I am trying to update a temp table in the flow of the sp. I have tried the code below but it gives me an error "Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'GROUP' and I understand the error but don't know how to get around it and still get sums. Can anyone help? Thanks. UPDATE #tempInventoryAnalysis SET [PTDSalesQty] = SUM(CASE WHEN MGB.dbo.tblArHistHeader.InvcDate BETWEEN @StartDate AND @EndDate THEN MGB.dbo.tblArHistDetail.QtyShipSell ELSE 0 END), [YTDSalesQty] = SUM(MGB.dbo.tblArHistDetail.Qt...

Use cell value as cell address
Hello everyone. I have a worksheet "Main" of 39,000 rows in which column B contains a number between 1 and 7,500. Column C is an empty column I have added. The second sheet, "Names" in the book contains a single column - A - of 7,500 names. I want to get the value from the second sheet that matches the number column of the first sheet. In other words, if "Main" cell B3 contains 3780, I want to put the value from "Names" cell A3780 into "Main" C3. How do I do this please? Richard --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi tr...

Can't access hotmail using Outlook Connector for MSN
I can't seem to download anything from my hotmail account into Outlook after setting up a link with Outlook Connector for MSN. Anyone have any ideas? ...

Use Money 2002 Files in Money 2008
HI, How can I convert or use my Money 2002 files in Money 2008 Trial. Thanks. -- Smith Assuming that M2002 and M2008 are both from the same geography you just install M2008, navigate to the .mny file and double click on the file name. If M2002 is non-US version, the quick answer is "you don't". :-( -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For unofficial FAQs see http://money.mvps.org/ or http://umpmfaq.info/ I do not respond to any emails that I have not specifically asked for. "Smith" <Smith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A6962F8A...

MAPI Failure message using 2007 word
-- JOHN HASKINS I keep getting this error message when I try to send a document from Word 2007 to my Outlook Email Client, which is my default email setup. I followed the recommended steps that help feature suggested, but that did not work by saving the document then closing and also closing Outlook, which was when word would restart it would start a new MAPI Session. No Go! What much I do. All other applications and software allow me to send to my email client except Office. ...

Make your site eazy to use.
A year or two ago I use to be able to get on CustomerSource very eazily and get information and articles I needed. Now it took me 15 minutes just to sign on. Then I could not find an article about opening a new year or closing 2005. How simple should something that basic be? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreade...

To auto-fill using names no longer in address
Is there a way to remove the names for the auto fill feature that are no longer in the address book or contact list? If they are selected the properties for the entry states name is no longer valid Address Book entry. Thanks. State your Outlook version and what you mean by "autofill." Outlook has two different functions this could be: autoresolution or autocompletion. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Ernie C" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:04e601c4913a$f07a15c0$7d02280a@phx.gbl... > Is there a way to remove the names for the au...

Using Contact's Categories to set message categories
Is there any way to have a rule that sets an incoming message category to the categor(ies) that the sender of the message is assign to in my contacts list? In other words, I have 'George Washington' in my contacts list. George has a category of 'prez' assigned to him. When I get a message from George, I'd like that message to be assigned the category of 'prez' as well. I know I can manually setup a rule to do this for specific contacts, but it would be so much more useful to manage the rule's behavior by setting categories in the contact list. No. Here&...

Use this internet package
--izytvhgodf Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="zqzdzynieuqqee"; type="multipart/alternative" --zqzdzynieuqqee Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="fezlepmdc" --fezlepmdc Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Consumer this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express. Install now to maintain the security of your computer from these vulnerab...

create a report using vba to select the names for the report
Hi, I need to create a report of selected Customers, I have gone as far as creating a string with customer names in it. Whats next? sample = Selected_Customer_Names= [ABC], [test], [New], [A New One] ...... and so on. Is this correct for the report and/or how do i open the report with the above only listed? -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 03:47:34 GMT, "trevorC via AccessMonster.com" <u44860@uwe> wrote: >Hi, >I need to create a report of selected Customers, I have gone as far as >creating a string with ...

can't access all of my back up after using Osirius program
Hi, I have Windows XP with Outlook 2003. I have backed up my massive amount of emails (400MB) using Outlook Backup from Osirius. Having used this program for smaller amounts of emails with no problems before I then placed the backup onto a disc and formatted the drive. After loading XP and Outlook back on I then tried to restore my backup using the same program. But it runs through the restore procedure without any problems and when I open Outlook up again most of the emails are not there. Outlook Backup has restored my deleted items and my sent items and also all of my accounts as th...

Detailed Time Sheet (overtime, comp time, vacation used)
I need to track in time, out time, in time, out time, overtime, vacation totals (received/used), comp received, comp used, and so. I would recommend to write all the headers on row 1, and start entering the data on row 2. Any column that is a calculation, enter a formula (for example, if column E is the difference of column D and C, enter "=D2-C2") and format the cells as you want the data to be presented (date/time, number, etc.) Hope this helps, Miguel. "Robert D. Sandersfeld" wrote: > I need to track in time, out time, in time, out time, overtime, vacation ...

Using IF for conditional formatting?
Need help with displaying blank cells when formulas are inside. The formulas would display a value if the contents of a source cell is filled in. I'm attempting to use in the formula cells(like B2): IF(A2="","",A2*5) If A2 is null, then display blank in B2, else calculate A2 * 5. Is this the best approach to keeping formula cells clear until data is entered? Thanks!!!! Yes -- For everyone's benefit keep the discussion in the newsgroup. Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Barb" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:fd0201c4...

Error
I have two investment accounts. Both have the same stock. When I enter the symbol in the second account, I get an Error Message "Symbol in Use." Anyone know why this occurs and how two investment accounts can hold the same stock. When asked for the symbol, don't type it in but use the drop down menu. -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money Hints/Tips http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny UK Wishes/Suggestions mnyukwsh@microsoft.com "Scott" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:06d701c39540$e8...

Anyone Else Use Database Query to Query Another Sheet in the Same Excel Workbook?
Wow! I tried this out, and it seems to work beautifully. It's odd, though, that I haven't seen this technique mentioned in any of the several Excel references that I've looked at. Basically, I have a workbook with several worksheets...one worksheet contains a large list with all the records. I wanted to set up the other worksheets to have certain functions...I wanted them to use only certain columns from the main list, and to contain only certain records from the main list that met specified conditions. This is the best solution I have found so far - i.e., creating database q...

Using XmlRootAttribute for deserialization
I've seen this come up before, but in my case, things are a little more complex, and I'm having a tough time figuring out how to set an element name that works. I have a configuration file that is my serialized object (I'm using a customer deserializer to add some more XAML-like capabilities): <AppConfigObject> <RuntimeType:Kernel xmlns:RuntimeType="MyNamespace.DefaultKernel, Kernel"/> </AppConfigObject> public class AppConfigObject { [XmlElement] public Kernel {...} } Problem I have is deserializing the child node <Kernel> because it al...

How do I use text in a cell as a range name in a formula
If cell A1 had the text TEST in it and TEST is the name I have given to a group of cells using the name box what formula can I use to give me the sum of TEST, thats is the sum of the cells in the group called TEST. I understand that I can simply have =SUM(TEST), but I want the formula to refer to Cell A1 to get the name ie =SUM(A1) doesn't work obviously Any help appreciated Thank you In this case, you want to use the INDIRECT function. E.g., =SUM(INDIRECT(A1)) -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Kiwi" &...

Vlookup question #8
Hi- I have a spreadsheet that looks at individuals and the amount they paid within a certain year for healthcare expenditures. Based upon this level of expenditure, I would like Excel to spit out the Category that the individual falls into. Here is what the table for looking up the category looks like: A B C Category Min Max 00 $0 $20 01 $20 $165 Thus, if the expenditure is $17, they would fall into category 00. How do I do this in Excel? I know its probably an easy VLOOKUP function but I'm not sure how to do the VLOOKUP function when telling Excel th...

how to use power point
I am trying to use my power point for the first time and am clueless on how to do it, can you give me instructions on how to use it? "sara benson" wrote: > I am trying to use my power point for the first time > and am clueless That is an understatement. Try posting in a PPt newsgroup. Sara Try a powerpoint news group. Here's a list to all microsoft news groups(with links). http://aumha.org/nntp.htm Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 20:04:02 -0800, "sara benson" <sara benson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am trying to use my power...

Cant Explain Runtime Error
Hi Gurus im using VC++.Net 2003 can you please explain why do i get a runtime error like this? I just added a private member variable on my Dialog class which is a WORD data type and i initialized it on my own defined constructor. everytime the dialog will close i will have this runtime error. thanks "Run-Time Check Failure #2- Stack around the variable 'AddEditFormDlg' was corrupted" I've never actually seen that one, but it could be you are writing past the end of some memory on the stack somewhere (like an out of bounds array). Tom "dacky" <harvey.da...

Can conditional formatting be used where .....
Can conditional formatting be used where text is included with numbers. Let me explain by example. A1 = flex 358 A2 = B, 358 A3 = R-U, 354 When A2:A3 numbers do not corresponds to A1 number then highlight cell. Therefore A3 in this example should be highlighted. A1:A3 quantities are the result of a formula. You could, for example, use CF/ Formula is: =RIGHT(A2,LEN(A2)-FIND(" ",A2))<>RIGHT(A$1,LEN(A$1)-FIND(" ",A$1)) -- David Biddulph "Gotroots" <Gotroots@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A60A2636-0583-4BB9-...

Using SqlDataAdapter for Insert but not Update?
I'm having trouble getting my SqlDataAdapter to NOT overwrite existing records in my SQL table. I'd like it to perform the Insert on rows that don't exist, but not update the record if it already exists. I have it set to ContinueUpdateOnError because I don't want it to throw an exception if a row already exists, I just want to ignore it. I'm clearly missing something... On Dec 11, 4:46=A0pm, Stu <stumor...@gmail.com> wrote: > I'm having trouble getting my SqlDataAdapter to NOT overwrite existing > records in my SQL table. =A0I'd like it to pe...

How to retreive deepest XPath value from XML using VB.NET
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C63D0B.9BCC4D30 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi All, Does anyone know how to retreive deepest XPath value from XML document = by using VB.NET? For example, if I had an XML file like this: <Root> <Customer> <Name>MyName</Name> </Customer> </Root> I would like to retreive "\Root\Customer\Name" out of it. Something = like: Dim xmlDoc As XMLDocument Dim strXPath As String =3D xmlDoc.GetXPa...

using excel as a database for movies and cd collection help
hi, ive been using excel to maintain a list for my cd's and moves etc just wanted to make it more functional but as im a noob im not sure what i can do, as it stands i have a workbook with a sheet for each catagory cd's movies tv shows etc, with a cell comment giving details of the item like the list of episode titles in a tv series. im using ctrl + f to search and using a red cell for stuff ive lent to friends, i would really like to enhance this workbook maybe add a stats page, see if there is some way to list the number of red cells etc, improve the searching, count the no. o...