Visual Basic Book

I'm thinking of purchasing a visual basic book to use as a reference.
I use VB often and have a pretty good basic understanding but would
like to get something to use as a reference for more complicated issues
I come accross.  Any suggestions on a good book?

0
lj1 (84)
12/22/2006 5:38:07 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Debra Dalgleish has a good list of books at her site.

http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlbooks.html

You can't do much better than John Walkenbach's Excel 2003 Power Programming
With VBA

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On 22 Dec 2006 09:38:07 -0800, "lj" <lj@spu.edu> wrote:

>I'm thinking of purchasing a visual basic book to use as a reference.
>I use VB often and have a pretty good basic understanding but would
>like to get something to use as a reference for more complicated issues
>I come accross.  Any suggestions on a good book?

0
Gord
12/22/2006 5:58:52 PM
On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 09:58:52 -0800, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca>
wrote:

>You can't do much better than John Walkenbach's Excel 2003 Power Programming
>With VBA

John Walkenbach also wrote Excel VBA Programming for Dummies

I have both the Dummies and the Power Programming.

I find the Dummies covers most of the stuff I need and is more
accessible - if I need to look something up I generally just use the
Dummies book. The Power Programming generally sits on the shelf.

Noz
--
Email (ROT13)
abmmn_jnyrf4@lnubb.pb.hx

Nozza wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 09:58:52 -0800, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca>
> wrote:
>
> >You can't do much better than John Walkenbach's Excel 2003 Power Programming
> >With VBA
>
> John Walkenbach also wrote Excel VBA Programming for Dummies
>
> I have both the Dummies and the Power Programming.
>
> I find the Dummies covers most of the stuff I need and is more
> accessible - if I need to look something up I generally just use the
> Dummies book. The Power Programming generally sits on the shelf.
>
> Noz
> --
> Email (ROT13)
> abmmn_jnyrf4@lnubb.pb.hx

0
lj1 (84)
12/22/2006 7:58:45 PM
If you have a good basic understanding, I would recommend The Excel 2002
Programmer's Reference,

Author(s):   John Green
             Rob Bovey
             Stephen Bullen
             Robert Rosenberg
Format:      Paperback, 2nd ed., 600pp.
ISBN:        1-861005-70-9

Publisher:   Wrox
Pub. Date:   September 2001Don't get the 2003 version though, it is a poor
revision of a good book, 2002 will help you and is better by far.
--
 HTH

Bob Phillips

"lj" <lj@spu.edu> wrote in message
> I'm thinking of purchasing a visual basic book to use as a reference.
> I use VB often and have a pretty good basic understanding but would
> like to get something to use as a reference for more complicated issues
> I come accross.  Any suggestions on a good book?

0
bob.NGs1 (1661)

cant connect Msdn to visual studio
Hi, I install visual studio 6 SP6 and after that I install MSDN help July 2002 but I cant open the MSDN from visual studio and when I press F1 (for help) I just get a message box that saying MSDN not install Why??? I can open the MSDN directly bun not through visual studio-6 can I fix that??? Thanks. "Dave" <dbg@012.net.il> wrote in message news:Oj%23g4DOdEHA.556@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Hi, > I install visual studio 6 SP6 and after that I install MSDN help July 2002 > but I cant open the MSDN from visual studio and when I press F1 (for help) I > just ge...

book plates
Can you create book plates in publisher, or another program? You certainly could - quite nicely too. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "carneu" <carneu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1FBA8FB7-DF8F-493E-8C62-B5EB13953C5E@microsoft.com... > Can you create book plates in publisher, or another program? A really nice one here, might give you an idea on how to layout your publication. It is for Word but can be adapted. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/TC010220071033....

Error Message In Visul Basic
When I open or close my Excel (Office 2000) I get this error message "Microsoft Visual Basic: Compile error in hidden module TBRun9." I'm NOT computer smart or into it's language, so I really want to know how to correct it so it stops coming up. This program was on Windows 98 and now on XP. Do I need to download from Microsoft something? If so what? How would I find it? Thanks for any help. Microsoft has this Knowledge Base article detailing how to deal with this problem. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=%2Fservicedesks%2Fbin%2Fkbsearch.asp%3FArticl...

Printing as Book
On earlier versions of Publisher I could print a multipaged document as a book and it would automatically print the pages in the correct order for binding. I cannot find how to do this in Publisher 2007. Can anyone advise please. MargaretB It is the same in 2007. In page setup the easiest setup is Advanced on the right. Select booklet. Do you have a duplex unit? If not go through the printing wizard found at the Advanced Printing Options. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "MargaretB" <invalid@invalid.inv> wrote in message news:ualArSM$K...

Backing up Address Book
Does anyone know how to Back up Outlook Express Address Book to CD? http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/ for OE help BTW this is an OL ng, a completely diff.app to OE David <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8fbd01c3e9e2$d34522b0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Does anyone know how to Back up Outlook Express Address > Book to CD? ...

How Do I Get my contacts into my address book?
I just upgraded to Vista, reloaded my Office 2002 suite, including Outlook 2002, pointed it at my Outlook.pst file, and everything seems to be fine except that my address book is empty. My contacts are still there, so how do I get the email addresses from the contact list into the address book? Thanks for any help, Jack Just configure the Outlook Address Book the way you always do: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;287563&Product=ol2002 -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Jack B" <jbruss@wi.rr.com> wrote in message news:eSTCZDsVHHA.488@TK2MSFT...

Address book in Outlook 2002 #2
I recently upgraded from Outlook in Office 2000 to Outlook 2002 in Office XP 2002. For some reason, my Contacts folder contents do now show up in my Personal Address Book. Although I have added the address book thru Tools > Email accounts > Directory, I cannot seem to select the Contacts Folder as my address book. It just doesn't appear in the list. It's look for a .PAB file, so maybe I need to learn how to turn the Contacts folder into a .PAB file? Thanks. Outlook has not used a PAB for many years. Neither should you. Use the Outlook Address Book instead. -- Russ Valen...

Export public folder adress book into Active Directory... OMA...
Hi we would like to export an address book from a public folder into active directory (contact object) in order to see contacts from OMA (oultook mobile access). Does it exist any other solution to view a adress book (or address book' contacts) which remain to a public folder from OMA ? The only the solution we found is to export this adress book into AD (creating contact objects...) But to do that we know we must user Csvde.exe but we don't know how to create a csv file from the adress book... Any idea or solution ? If all you want to do is be able to have OMA users view Public ...

FS: CHEAP Books Web Programming Design Audio XML Perl Macromedia Flash Multimedia MPEG
I am selling these books in a lot. I am not selling them individually. Most of the books are in NEW or LIKE NEW condition. A small minority are older and may have some shelfwear. There may be remainder marks. There is no highlighting or writing in the books. If you are intereseted, please contact me at NOgymarquezHAM@sbcglobal.net. You can get rid of the NO and the HAM in order to reach me at the proper e-mail address. Please include the subject heading so that I will know which books your are interested in as I am selling multiple groupings of books. Designing Web Audio (Paperback) ...

Connecting adress books of 2 different domains
Hello, We have 2 domains and 2 seperate exchange servers in here. What i want to do is to connect exchanges GALs and able to see/search the adresses of 2 different GALs in client side. How can i do it? Thank you. you'd need to look at a tool to synchronize Organizations. Identity Integration Server (MIIS) does the trick, as does the free version (Identity Integration Feature Pack), though I'm sure the free version is much less customizable. There should also be some 3rd party tools that do this. IIRC, I believe HP has a tool that does this. MIIS and IIFP require Active Dire...

Books
Hello everyone, I have noted how experienced many of the users here are, and I was curious as to any books you would recommend to a intermediate user. I currently have the access 2000 "bible" but would be interested to hear any others that have a great source of information and tips on access database programming. Thanks, despite my ancient fauds with Dev www.mvps.org/access and many more Pieter "noservice@address.com" <webinsomniac@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1192730447.526555.105960@y27g2000pre.googlegroups.com... > Hello everyone, > > I have n...

sync two address book pro
In my case I have two sites with same dns with win2k- exchange 2003 win2003(sbs)- exchange 2003 (2 are not trust domain and not replicate) I have 2 address books in each one with independence addr book 2 win have fixed ip but not trust domain and I want to sync 2 addr book automatically, I know exchange cannot sync addr book if not same domain as I mention before 7 Mar, someone reply with me that these tools http://www.visioningPro.com ). ADSynch Light or SimpleSync http://www.cps-systems.com/ maybe solve my problem and any other tools should solve my problem? Thx a lot Mike Hi you ca...

Address book in Office Home and Student 2007?
Is there an address book feature in Office Home and Student 2007 so I can merge addresses into documents and envelopes? Use an Excel spreadsheet. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "lesliealys" <lesliealys@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9319DD9A-A8D8-4429-A8F4-E355CAF046A1@microsoft.com... > Is there an address book feature in Office Home and Student 2007 so I can > merge addresses into documents and envelopes? Nope. The Office address book is part of Outlo...

Reference Book
I'm a Win32 programmer, and I'm trying to get into some MFC. I've read a little about MFC, but the books lack a lot of quality and descriptive text about the structure of MFC. Can I ask whose book is the Charles Petzold of MFC? Thank you I haven't seen a bad MFC book in a long time, but then again, I haven't bought a new MFC book in many years. My presonal perference are the MFC books published by Wrox Press http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&isbn=1861000855&itm=31 You can't go wrong with the Microsoft Press ones either. Al...

Suggest SmartList Book?
Some of our users are interested in the SmartList and have requested a suggestion of a book they can buy to assist with the process. The online help does a good job of explaining the mechanics of how to operate SmartList but our users are looking for tips on how to use it such as: 1. The "Current Trx Amount" column is really the "Amount Remaining". 2. The "Originating Master ID" column is really the "Customer or Vendor ID". 3. Putting a criteria in the "Order By" window in the "Search" area sorts the items at the SQL level so if...

Exchange 2003 & 5.5 Global Address Book??
I have a single organization with three sites. All sites were running Exchange 5.5. At our corporate office I installed a new server with Exchange 2003 and joined it to the existing site. I migrated over user mailboxes for this one site. I have not decommissioned the old Exchange 5.5 server at this site yet. I need to make sure all the roles are moved. The problem I am having is when I add or delete users the Global Address book for each site is not updating. For example if I delete a user at our corporate office running Exchange 2003 that users is not removed from the Global Addres...

downloaded office 2007can't find old folders and address book
Any way I can find the folders I created to save emails? Or my address book? If you used outlook thay are contained within the outlook data file, by default outlook.pst You should search to include hidden for that, or *.pst Only outlook can access this data file "Merry L" <Merry L@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B84479A9-20AA-4E10-9C92-3258F437A6FC@microsoft.com... > Any way I can find the folders I created to save emails? Or my address > book? ...

The basics of mail merge
can anyone please point me where i can find the very basic steps of using the quote.dot? If i am in the quote form, how do i activate the quote.dot? can i send this directly by mail? i understand (from reading previous entries here) that there is a difference if i'm working in outlook client or web client? thanks Check out this write-up and see if this helps you: http://www.microsoft.com/BusinessSolutions/Community/crm_mail_merge.aspx Frank Lee Workopia, Inc. http://www.workopia.com/Links.htm San Francisco, CA "tamar" wrote: > can anyone please point me where i can f...

Outlook takes over Groupwise address book
Our computer at work uses Groupwise 5.2 for e-mail and the address book. I want to use Outlook 2000 also on the same computer without using it for e-mail. The problem is that I lose the addresses from the addressbook on groupwise when Outlook is installed. Is there away to have Groupwise & Outlook coexist on the same computer without conflicts, using Groupwise for e-mail & addresses and Outlook for all of its other features, Calender, Tasks, Notes, etc. Any help is greatly appreciated. ...

Address Book Missing, Office 2000
Running Office 200, using Outlook 200, SP-3 (ver. 9.0.0.6627). I've been using the personal address book from the time I began using Office 2000 (now under Windows XP). This evening, while the Contacts list is still there, current, and everything, the Address Book has now disappeared. Selecting from the Menu -- Tools|Address Book-- there are no addresses but now showing "Shared Contacts" and "Main Identity's Contacts." These have not been there before. What the heck is going on, how do I get my address book back? Thanks for helping. Micheal. None of this fits w...

Visual Studio 2005 to 2008 with problem
Hello, I have created an application with Visual Studio 2005 Standard Edition. The application is connecting to a database that I made it with SQL Server 2005. The application uses the TransactionScope class this way with no problem: Using Scope As New Transactions.TransactionScope(Transactions.TransactionScopeOption.RequiresNew) .... Scope.Complete() End Using In the transaction, the application executes a stored procedure with parameters. I use the SqlClient namespace to do the job. Then I convert my code to Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition. I have also switch my...

Cash Receipts and Check book
Hi, This is regarding Cash Receipts in Sales Module of GP 10. The input screen for cash receipt has a field to enter the cheque book id. However upon posting receipts, the cheque book register does not get updated with the receipt amount. Surely, the GL account associated with the cheque book gets the debit, but not the check book register. Would appreciate advice, comments. Thanks CarlG Carl, The next step after entering a cash receipt is to deposit it in the Bank Rec module. Go to Transactions > Financial > Bank Deposits to do this. The reason for this is that the check...

Problems with basic function average
Hi I have dumped a load of data from my mrp system into excel for analysis. I have a problem that when I go to select data for an average I get a #div0# error. When I go to do the average by selecting the area above my bottom task bar the average function is missing and I can only choose count. Could you please help. Thanks Brian Hello Brian You should make sure that the numbers are real numbers, and not some "textnumbers" (they're text and not numbers) -- Wigi http://www.wimgielis.be = Excel/VBA, soccer and music "brian.baker13@googlemail.com" wrote: >...