Viewing Macro..

Is there a way to view a VBS macro without running it? Someone sent me a
macro, but I don't know that it can be trusted. I do want to run it, I did
scan it with Norton and it found nothing, but Excel warns me against opening
it.

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi,

Unless its protected, you can press Alt+F8, select it from the list and
click Edit.  Of course if you don't know VBA, you probably won't know if its
safe or not.  Of course you could post the code to the newgroup.

You first line of defense is to consider the source, do you trust the person
who sent you the file?

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"shawn" wrote:

> Is there a way to view a VBS macro without running it? Someone sent me a
> macro, but I don't know that it can be trusted. I do want to run it, I did
> scan it with Norton and it found nothing, but Excel warns me against opening
> it.

Press Alt-F11 to get into the VBE and then click on the Module to see
the code.

Mind you, if you didn't know this then how can you determine if the
code is malicious?

Excel will warn you that a workbook contains a macro if your security
settings are set to Medium, but it does not scan through the code to
warn you that it is a bit suspect.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Feb 12, 2:26=A0pm, "shawn" <yuppicide...@optonline.net> wrote:
> Is there a way to view a VBS macro without running it? Someone sent me a
> macro, but I don't know that it can be trusted. I do want to run it, I di=
> scan it with Norton and it found nothing, but Excel warns me against open=
ing
> it.

0
pashurst (2576)
2/12/2009 2:37:30 PM
Hi,

You need to sign click to open the Modules folder but you need to
double-click the module within to see the code.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Pete_UK" wrote:

> Press Alt-F11 to get into the VBE and then click on the Module to see
> the code.
>
> Mind you, if you didn't know this then how can you determine if the
> code is malicious?
>
> Excel will warn you that a workbook contains a macro if your security
> settings are set to Medium, but it does not scan through the code to
> warn you that it is a bit suspect.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Pete
>
> On Feb 12, 2:26 pm, "shawn" <yuppicide...@optonline.net> wrote:
> > Is there a way to view a VBS macro without running it? Someone sent me a
> > macro, but I don't know that it can be trusted. I do want to run it, I did
> > scan it with Norton and it found nothing, but Excel warns me against opening
> > it.

I think we were both saying the same thing - if the OP didn't know how
to view the code (and was therefore presumably not very experienced
with VBA), then what's the point in him doing so if he wouldn't be
able to understand it?

It seemed to me that he was getting the warning message to enable/
disable macros and didn't know what it meant.

Pete

On Feb 12, 3:28=A0pm, Shane Devenshire
<ShaneDevensh...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> You need to sign click to open the Modules folder but you need to
> double-click the module within to see the code.
>
> --
> If this helps, please click the Yes button
>
> Cheers,
> Shane Devenshire
>

> "Pete_UK" wrote:
> > Press Alt-F11 to get into the VBE and then click on the Module to see
> > the code.
>
> > Mind you, if you didn't know this then how can you determine if the
> > code is malicious?
>
> > Excel will warn you that a workbook contains a macro if your security
> > settings are set to Medium, but it does not scan through the code to
> > warn you that it is a bit suspect.
>
> > Hope this helps.
>
> > Pete
>
> > On Feb 12, 2:26 pm, "shawn" <yuppicide...@optonline.net> wrote:
> > > Is there a way to view a VBS macro without running it? Someone sent m=
e a
> > > macro, but I don't know that it can be trusted. I do want to run it, =
I did
> > > scan it with Norton and it found nothing, but Excel warns me against =
opening
> > > it.- Hide quoted text -

pashurst (2576)
2/12/2009 5:05:45 PM
I knew what the message meant. I just don't know the person who sent me the
VBA file. I asked here for help on a post titled "Excel Calculator". Someone
sent me a file which has a RUN button. It automatically calculates how many
stamps I need in each denomination based on how much postage I need. I
figured if I can view some code I might understand it since I program a
little.. not enough to understand everything, but maybe enough to say hey
this isn't a bad thing.

I think pressing ALT-F11 helps a lot. Because I can see the code and
understand most of it and can see it doesn't do anything malicious. I think
I'll trust it, try it out, and thank the person.

"Pete_UK" <pashurst@auditel.net> wrote in message
Press Alt-F11 to get into the VBE and then click on the Module to see
the code.

Mind you, if you didn't know this then how can you determine if the
code is malicious?

Excel will warn you that a workbook contains a macro if your security
settings are set to Medium, but it does not scan through the code to
warn you that it is a bit suspect.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Feb 12, 2:26 pm, "shawn" <yuppicide...@optonline.net> wrote:
> Is there a way to view a VBS macro without running it? Someone sent me a
> macro, but I don't know that it can be trusted. I do want to run it, I did
> scan it with Norton and it found nothing, but Excel warns me against
> opening
> it.

Okay, but take a look at Roger Govier's solution in your Excel
Calculator thread - no macro needed (and the same approach could be
used for coin analysis).

Pete

On Feb 12, 8:06=A0pm, "shawn" <yuppicide...@optonline.net> wrote:
> I think pressing ALT-F11 helps a lot. Because I can see the code and
> understand most of it and can see it doesn't do anything malicious. I thi=
nk
> I'll trust it, try it out, and thank the person.
>
> "Pete_UK" <pashu...@auditel.net> wrote in message

> Press Alt-F11 to get into the VBE and then click on the Module to see
> the code.
>
> Mind you, if you didn't know this then how can you determine if the
> code is malicious?
>
> Excel will warn you that a workbook contains a macro if your security
> settings are set to Medium, but it does not scan through the code to
> warn you that it is a bit suspect.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Pete
>
> On Feb 12, 2:26 pm, "shawn" <yuppicide...@optonline.net> wrote:
>

> > Is there a way to view a VBS macro without running it? Someone sent me =
> > macro, but I don't know that it can be trusted. I do want to run it, I =
did
> > scan it with Norton and it found nothing, but Excel warns me against
> > opening
> > it.- Hide quoted text -

pashurst (2576)

Will a Macro do this? If so, HOW?
I have a tracking spreadsheet going right now. Lots of dates and names. I would like to set up this sheet so that if I change a status (via dropdown menu) to complete, it automatically changes all dates to the next calendar year and clears that 'status'. Is this possible? Do I need a macro? And how do I set it up? I've never coded a macro, just recorded them... ...

Excel macro or command button to search using a user form
I have a user form which shows info about each student. I want to be able to enter a student's name in a textbox and have all the fields on the form populated with the student information. You need to be a lot more specific on what you are wanting else we have to make a lot of assumptions. I would recommend using a combobox instead of a textbox. This way you can utilize the Change Event and have the students info. automatically filled in the rest of your userform. I will assume you have a list of students in Sheet1 in Col. A. Just set the RowSource property of the c...

macro query disable download failure
Hello, I have a macro which retrieve different queries from the web. It happens that a resource at that moment isn''t available. If this happens the querie gives a message which said unable to open http://webpage This message i don't want to display (other routines herefor). I use "Application.DisplayAlerts = False" but this won't help. Can anybody help me with this problem. Thanks ...

Disable 'Macro' dialog box...
Thanks Geoff, for the info on how to protect the VBA code. Have one further question; Now that the workbook and code is protected, I have sub routines that are run from command buttons. However, it is still possible to push ALT-F8 to list my routines, then click on a routine, then choose 'Run'... Is there a way to disable this option, so that users can not view or run the list of available routines (I need them to run the routines, only from the command buttons). Ruskin You can do what you want by making each macro a Private macro. This will preclude that macro from appearing...

Is Doc/View Architecture really needed?
Hi I wanted to try some codes last night and start a default MFC app. with Doc/view support. But it gives so much compiler and run-time error because of doc/view, i forgot what i want then began to correct the code. Do you really need Doc/view or do you use doc/view architecture in your projects? Or you begin with empty project? I want to learn when it is not necessary and when it is. Have you ever faced Doc/View archtecture become painful in your recent projects? I am looking for your opinions. Thanks. If you are going to have "data" and represent it on the "screen"...

Displaying data from a lead in the oppurunities view
Is there a way in CRM to display a field that is in the my open leads view in the my open oppurtunities view. Basically what I have done is create a new attribute type in the lead called product. This is a picklist with all the different products we offer. I modified the columns in the my open leads view to show this without a problem. When the lead becomes an oppurtunity there is no way to tell the product they are interested in. I want to be able to display the data entered into my LEADS page on my OPPURTUNITIES view. This should be possible right? There is no way to view a field...

MACROS SETUP
I would like to set up a macro to do the following: RUN MACRO = SENDING E-MAIL Set up Retreive info from several files (specefic worksheet). Retreive base on number e.g (111-0 or 187-1 etc).Each number has an e-mail address. Format to send as e-mail: 1st TEN rows of the worksheet and rows corresponding with the numbers (117-0) Retreive ONE row above and below numbers Page break if several numbers has the same e-mail within a file/worksheet Page break when retreive info from different file Hi just as a starting point: http://www.rondebruin.nl/mail/add-in.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankf...

Macro to run when opening doc
Hi all Is there any way to make a macro run when opening a specific document?? Tks in advance António Hi Antonio, Yes, you can name the macro 'AutoOpen' or call it from a macro so-named in a normal code module. Alternatively, you can use a 'Document_Open' macro in the document's 'ThisDocument' module, instead of the 'AutoOpen' macro. -- Cheers macropod [Microsoft MVP - Word] "Antonio" <Antonio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:965EBAAC-A781-4163-9530-8454EDE1832B@microsoft.com... > Hi all &g...

Macro Error when moved Xcel Sheets from User's Home Dir to Networ
Hello Xcel spreadsheets Copied from User's Network Home Folder to Another Network Folder. copy \\network\home\userA\*x.s \\network\REPGROUP Getting "object variable or with block.." What else I need to copy, when copying from one network location to another. I reverted back to old way, still same problem Thanks Basheer Use FileCopy to copy files. -- Jim "Basheer" <Basheer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:744DF6C5-96B3-48B2-99AF-657487D87FCD@microsoft.com... | Hello | Xcel spreadsheets Copied from User's Network Home Folder to Another...

UK Money 2005 Portfolio Valuation View is blank
I tried to customise the Porfolio Valuation view, which seems to have corrupted itself. It no longer displays any lines and just correctly displays the total in the blue area of the screen. On clicking Change Portfolio view | customise current view | Portfolio Culumns Tab shows that the Display column box is empty. Clicking on the reset to default button re-populates the box and saving does not rectify the problem. As no stocks are display going through the Change Portfolio view | customise current view | Portfolio Culumns Tab shows that the Display column box is again empty. How do I rectify...

Macros failing in different language versions of Word
My company wants to standardize on templates across several countries - we have offices in many countries, but for simplicity I will just talk about UK and Sweden. My problem is that some features in the English version of Word do not work in the Swedish version of Word. For example, StylRef. I use StyleRef in the header margin to refer to "Heading 1" style. The problem is that it is not called "Heading 1" in the Swedish version of Word. It is called "Rubrik 1", which translates back to "Heading 1" of course. In the UK we use many macro...

Referencing a macro in an Excel formula
Is it possible to reference a macro in an Excel formula. I want to create a formula that if a condition does not exist in a cell on that line, then delete the entire line. Is a macro the way to go or is there some other way? ...

Viewing pictures within received emails
When I receive an email with a picture attached I have to dbl click on the image to view it. How can I get Outlook to display the image within the email? You can't. Outlook only displays pictures in-line when they are inserted in-line by the sender of the mail by Insert-> Picture... -- Roady [MVP] www.sparnaaij.net Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office related News Also Outlook FAQ, How To's, Downloads and more... Tips of the month: -Setting Permissions on a Mailbox -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "David McCullough" <anonymous@dis...

Seperate document for Splitter views
Hi My app shows 2 graph views seperated by a splitter. The base graphview class is the same say CGraphView if i use splitter.CreateView(0,0,RUNTIME_CLASS(CGraphView)... splitter.CreateView(0,1,RUNTIME_CLASS(CGraphView)... they both use the same document class but i need them to show graphs frm different docs if i make 2 objects of the CGraphView how can i use the objects as CRuntimeClass*??? is there any other solution. rgds fordge fordge wrote: > Hi > My app shows 2 graph views seperated by a splitter. > > The base graphview class is the same say CGraphView > > if...

How do I set a macro to run at specific times?
Hi I have recorded a macro which I want to run automatically every hour. Could someone tell me how I do this You can read about the scheduling procedures at Chip Pearson's site: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/ontime.htm Nick123 wrote: > > Hi > > I have recorded a macro which I want to run automatically every hour. Could > someone tell me how I do this -- Dave Peterson ...

Unhiding All hidden Worksheets with a Macro/VBA Code
Hi, Can anyone help me please ? Whilst working with an Excel Workbook I often hide all unwanted Worksheets leaving only the ones I need to work on visible. What I would like to do is have a macro or VBA code to click on a button to unhide all hidden worksheets rather repeating Format-Sheet-Unhide to unhide each worksheet. Any help would be greatly appreciated (Excel version Excel 2000) Many thanks Rob -- robertguy 44 Married two kids ------------------------------------------------------------------------ robertguy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinf...

Protect macro
I have a workbook that contains a macro that many people will be using. can the macro be protected to prevent changes to the macro. I can protect worksheets but I don't know how to protect a macro. Garry Open your workbook Open the VBE hit ctrl-r to see the project explorer Select your project in the project explorer window Tools|VBAProject Properties|Protection Tab Give it a memorable password (and lock the project from viewing) But remember, this password, like any password, can be broken by anyone with enough time or money. On 07/07/2010 08:57, Paladin046 wrote: > I have a wo...

How to add button for macro in Fluent UI?
I have a macro in my personal.xlsb which will be available for all the workbooks in my PC. I want to add a button in the fluent UI for that macro which will be available for all the work books. How to add a custom button? If you want to learn about modifying the ribbon, you can start at Ron de Bruin's site: http://www.rondebruin.nl/ribbon.htm http://www.rondebruin.nl/qat.htm -- For macros for all workbooks (saved as an addin) or http://www.rondebruin.nl/2007addin.htm Yajiv wrote: > > I have a macro in my personal.xlsb which will be available for all the > workbooks in my PC. &...

How to view a complete schema when using schema includes/imports?
I've got a parent schema file that references complex element types that are defined in several "child" schema files and I used the schema imports statement to include them into the parent schema's default namespace. I would like to generate a complete/single-file instance of the schema to simplify things but I can't figure out how to do it. Each schema seems to live in it's respective memory space inside the SchemaIncludesCollection. Any idea how I could traverse all of the "virtual" nodes in the parent schema to create a physical representation of what t...

Macros and Autofills problem
Can anybody help with this problem I'm having on Excel? I'm trying to write a Macro on Excel that gets information from database and the filters the information by various calculations an lookups. I get stuck because information I retrieve from the database does no always have the same amount of rows. So if I record a Macro, retrieve the date from the database, write formula in the first row and then double click on the lower right han box to copy the formula down to the other rows of information, it work fine. But if I run the Macro again and there are more rows from the data...

How To Find A Macro -- Word 2007
Our company has several hundred controlled forms that are saved as protected templates on a server. Recently, we've had many cases of people trying to open these templates and getting error messages about macros (Do you want to enable?) even though there shouldn't be any macros in the forms that are giving the errors. I know very little (read "less than nothing") about macros. How do you find and disable an unwanted macro in a document? Where do they hide? I don't know if it matters, but all of the forms that give these errors have been recently revised...

Outlook 2003 Task View formatting
Does anyone have a way to format a Task item when in Outlook Task view, such as, highlighting a particular Task row? yes. Explain what you want to do. Or just go and look at the Automatic Formatting function. Regards Judy Gleeson MVP Outlook www.judygleeson.com www.deskdoctors.com Are you sick of bad email practice? Get a copy of my paper "Implementing Email Policy" from the Desk Doctors website. "brightenmyoutlook" <rjbeaupre@gmail.com> wrote in message news:278e5a3c-63c3-479a-bc15-391e492495b3@v36g2000yqv.googlegroups.com... > Does anyone have a way to f...

Finding Macros In Workbooks
Is there a wasy to find all Excel workbooks in a folder that have a macro in them. If so, how? Thanks, John ...

macros, but i dont't see them
My workbook says that it contains macros, (i tried to get a macro t work) but i no longer needed it, so I deleted it. BUt each time I ope the workbook, it says that there are macros. How can i find an existing macros (either in the workbook or on visual basic) and remov them? Thank you in advance for any help that you can give -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi This might help: http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqMac.html#NoMacros -- Andy. "pboost1 >" <<pboost1.19uo36@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:pboost1.19uo36@excelforum-nospam.com...

Check Other User's Calendar Macro
Here is my scenario: I work for a not-for-profit company with no budget for purchasing any new apps or software. We do not have Exchange Server and use Outlook 2002. Two people in the office want to share there calendar info so that they can book appointments without having to always contact each other. We have Windows Server 2003 R2. Is there a macro that would copy user A's calendar to a folder on our server (N:) and have that same calendar accessed by user B? Any information would be greatly appreciated. We have limited technical knowledge and no money to purchase exchange se...