Very slow to move around a spreadsheet in Excel 2007

Hi,

Just move from Excel XP to 2007, and one particular spreadsheet is very slow
after loading it, it opens and closes fine, but once it's opened it works
very slow, mving from one cell to another, or by pressing page down or up.
I'd checked for formulas, fonts, etc., and I can't find the reason for being
so slow. Other spreadsheets work just fine.

The original file size was around 50k, the new 2007 version is over 500k!

Any ideas?
--
Juan
Consulting services

That's strange.  In my experiences, 2007 compresses older .xls files up to
50% and makes the overall file size much smaller.  Have you switched
calculations from automatic to manual?  This could be your problem.  Go to
Formulas tab and then select the drop down next to "Calculation Options".
Switch from Automatic to Manual.  Now when you need to update calculations,
press F9 to calculate the entire workbook or Shift + F9 to recalculate only
the tab you are currently in.
"juan" <soporte.tecnico@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Just move from Excel XP to 2007, and one particular spreadsheet is very
> slow
> after loading it, it opens and closes fine, but once it's opened it works
> very slow, mving from one cell to another, or by pressing page down or up.
> I'd checked for formulas, fonts, etc., and I can't find the reason for
> being
> so slow. Other spreadsheets work just fine.
>
> The original file size was around 50k, the new 2007 version is over 500k!
>
> Any ideas?
> --
> Juan
> Consulting services

Thanks for your response Wayne, but I'd already tried that, and yes it is
very strange, I've been working for a while converting spreadsheets from
previous versions (XP, 2003, etc.) and this is the very first time with this
kind of problem.
--
Juan
Consulting services

"Wayne Stearns" wrote:

> That's strange.  In my experiences, 2007 compresses older .xls files up to
> 50% and makes the overall file size much smaller.  Have you switched
> calculations from automatic to manual?  This could be your problem.  Go to
> Formulas tab and then select the drop down next to "Calculation Options".
> Switch from Automatic to Manual.  Now when you need to update calculations,
> press F9 to calculate the entire workbook or Shift + F9 to recalculate only
> the tab you are currently in.
> "juan" <soporte.tecnico@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > Just move from Excel XP to 2007, and one particular spreadsheet is very
> > slow
> > after loading it, it opens and closes fine, but once it's opened it works
> > very slow, mving from one cell to another, or by pressing page down or up.
> > I'd checked for formulas, fonts, etc., and I can't find the reason for
> > being
> > so slow. Other spreadsheets work just fine.
> >
> > The original file size was around 50k, the new 2007 version is over 500k!
> >
> > Any ideas?
> > --
> > Juan
> > Consulting services

Sounds like you have alot of "extra rows etc...

Thought there was a bit of code around that cleans up these "big
spreadsheets" for you.

Otherwise you'd need to write a bit of vba code to rip up all the
extra rows....and columns.....

Turing off calc is frought with danger as you end up with data that
hasn't been re-calculated.

If you go that path, you'll need two buttons to turn this on and
off......

Does it have macros to record every change?

Regards,
Tom Bizannes
Excel Development
Sydney,Australia
http://www.macroview.com.au
0
tom1416 (13)

How do Excel define the application area?
When I run a macro as shown below, how does excel define the application area? Disable re-calculation option before processing coding After processing coding, enable re-calculation option calcmode = application.calculation application.calculation = xlCalculationManual 'open worksheet2.xls by using worksheet1's macro application.calculation = calcmode Case 1 If I open an excel worksheet1.xls, then I open worksheet2.xls within this open worksheet1, do I open 1 excel application? If I set calcmode, will it apply to both worksheets at this moment? Case 2 If I open...

Excel work done in Me
I did all my work on excel. I recently purchased a new computer that is using XP Home and, after downloading my work files, I cannot pull them up. What did I do wrong? Any help would be truly appreciated. Rick It sounds like you do not have Excel installed on your new computer. "Rick" <no1plantman@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:a93301c3ebdd$82fbb6a0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I did all my work on excel. I recently purchased a new > computer that is using XP Home and, after downloading my > work files, I cannot pull them up. What did I do wrong? > Any help would be...

Time in Excel '97
Is there a way in Excel '97 to get it to insert the exact time? What I mean is that if I push Ctrl+Shift+:, the time inserts only hours, minutes and AM/PM, but no seconds. Actually, I just tried this in Excel XP and it does the same thing. Any ideas? Would really appreciate it. Matt You could put this code in your personal.xls workbook and assign it to a keyboard shortcut. Sub InsertTimeWithSecs() ActiveCell.Value = Format(Now(), "hh:mm:ss") End Sub -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS "Matt J."...

Importing Excel Data
I'm receiving the following error message when I try to import a MS Excel 2007 file into Access 2007 (into a new table): The search key not found on any record. Then it tells me the file will not be imported. I've looked at the Excel file and don't see anything wrong with it -- any suggestions? Thanks! -- Jen Scott Look here: http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/archive/index.php/t-92702.html Seems to be related to indexes. Regards Kevin "Jen Scott" <JenScott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:56037922-D70F-41...

Outlook 2007 question
Outlook 2007 We have had an issue when we set a user to change password at next logon that it causes them to lose their settiings - they have to complete the Outlook wizard to configure the mailbox etc. Do the loose the settings just for Outlook or do they loose all the settings for the profile also? "goundhog" wrote: > Outlook 2007 > > We have had an issue when we set a user to change password at next logon > that it causes them to lose their settiings - they have to complete the > Outlook wizard to configure the mailbox etc. ...

In Excel, what is CharMap.exe?
In Excel, what is CharMap.exe, where do I find it and how do I get help using it? I need to include characters which are normally only found in MSWord. From that other thread: Insert Symbol was added in xl2002. So if you don't run xl2002+, you'll have to find a different way. You can hit flying windows R (or windows start button|Run) type charmap hit enter or even windows start button|Programs|accessories|System tools|charmap if you like to mouse. Chip Pearson has an addin that may help (if you're using xl2k or lower). http://www.cpearson.com/excel/download.htm (look for Sy...

Read values from excel rows
hi I am trying to read the values from a excel row. There are 89 columns for each row and same number of data in each rows. Kindly help regards shantanu shantanu, You need to explain how/where you want to read them.... From another workbook, another worksheet, a VBA function, a macro, a C# application? HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "shantanu" <shantanusenin@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1184298794.259390.216180@i38g2000prf.googlegroups.com... > hi > I am trying to read the values from a excel row. There are 89 > columns for each row and same number of da...

DPM 2007 Client licenses onto DPM 2010
I have a quick question regarding 2007 ML licenses, I have just been employed to design\deploy a DPM solution for a company, unfortunately they purchased the software and licenses in March and didn't get SA on them. They have now decided to go down the 2010 route and want to know whether they can purchase just the server licenses or whether they would need to purchase the client ML licenses again. Any help would be great. Can you please check with your local DPM marketing contacts. They should be able to help you. Thanks, Praveen D [MSFT] This posting is provi...

Alt Tab not Working in Excel
Hey, hopefully someone can give me a hand here. Alt+Tab just stopped working to switch between sheets in excel. I DO have Tools>>Options>>View>>Windows in Taskbar checked. I do see multiple sheets in the windows taskbar so this isn't the problem. Additionally, I'm aware of Ctrl+Tab and Ctrl+F6 (and their reverse "shift" capabilities). I really need to be able to have the little window pop up (with Alt+Tab) to be able to select the correct file without going through them all like you have to with Ctrl+Tab. Additionally, switching between other windows works ...

Numbers dont display or add up correctly in excel
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I type in 1000 and it divides all numbers by 100, 23 becomes 0,23. Then if I Sum a list of numbers it doesn't ad up coretly (even the wrong numbers don't add up) Excel doesn't work for me - although the product was provided (bundled) by Apple - apple won't support it - and neither will Microsoft so I end up with no-person to talk to - amazing. Any help from anyone would be appreciated. Thanks On 6/5/09 6:35 AM, in article 59b75f96.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "Clive@officeformac.com" <Cli...

Make Excel upload files via FTP??
A few days ago I asked about creating files from a Excel worksheet that can be shared online. Someone suggested this VBA: http://www.meadinkent.co.uk/xladvhtml.htm I've been trying this and it works. Now I want to get Excel to run the VBA-code every time the file is closed, AND (and now comes the tricky part), to upload the created html-files to a FTP account. Every time the file is closed the macro "make_htm" should run, and get the files got created upload from the local folder, to a FTP account. Is this possible?? ...

How do I stop excel graphing missing (#N/A) data?
I am trying to create a line graph with a series of data that contains #N/A "values" (which is generated through a formula) eg Month: Jan Feb Mar Apr Ma Weight: 3 6 9 #N/A Problem is excel will create a line between the March and May figures rather than leaving a gap in the line. Otherwise it then looks like I have the April data which I don't....argh!! I can change the formulas to produce something other that #N/A, eg "" but this causes the line to dip to zero Any help most appreciated Excel has no true missing value. ...

How do I add the file last modified date into an Excel header?
It is easy to show the date a document was last modified in MS-Word by inserting the field: savedate into the footer. A very common requirement. But there does not appear to be any way, or at least no easy way to do this in Excel. I CAN'T BELIEVE IT! They still haven't added this. Excel forces you to put in the current date. YUK! Why would I want that in my print out? I want to know when it was last modified, not when I printed it. ARG!!! From an earlier posting Hi use the following UDF: Function DocProps(prop As String) application.volatile On Error GoTo err_value ...

How to delete task request from inbox on Outlook 2007
For 13.5 months a "task request" from a coworker has been parked in my inbox. The task is complete and was marked as such but I cannot delete it, move it, reply to it, forward it, or take ANY action on it without the message "the operation failed" popping up. Any suggestions on how to clear this would be appreciated. The coworker has cleared this on his outlook as well and our IT guy has not been able to do anything with it either. In fact, nobody in the office has any idea why my system is unique this way. I've never had issues with any other tas...

How to copy a field of A excel file to B Excel file automatically?
I need to copy some fields of A.xls to B.xls every night at 12:00. how can I do that? I'd try one of two methods. First, use the MS Windows "scheduler" to fire off you spreadsheet at midnight (make sure to leave the computer turned on) and have a VBA macro triggered when the workbook is opened to perform the data movement. A second, albeit more difficult method, would be to write VBA code to structure an internal timer that would watch for midnight. In this case, you'd have to open the workbook before going home for the day, and activate the macro that sets ...

Excel PC vs. Mac issue
We have a bunch of Mac excel files (Office 98 Mac) which when printed fill the page left to right (invoice type), when opened on a PC (Office 2K) the print seems narrow. re the form stops 3-4 inches from the edge of the page (right hand side)as opposed to the 1 inch border experienced on the Mac printed page. Printer is HP5si both printing through the same cue using the same drivers. Looking for ideas as to why... thx Well, sometimes Windows is like that...kinda narrow and comes up a little short. This sometimes happens when a font on one platform is not available on the other, and ...

Need to extrcat data from one Excel file to an other
Hi there I'm looking form a solution to press on button in a Excel sheet which ill exctract some datas from an other Excel sheet which can be close or opened. It should beworing on Windows XP, 2003, Vista and 7 as well with 32 bits and 64 bits. Thanks in avance for your advise and best regards Tra Browse through the example codes found at Ron de Bruin's site. http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm Look at the 'Copy/paste/merge" section. Should be some good material to start with. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sat, 28 May 2011 19:53:03 +0200, Tra Sumaka <trasumak...

View -> Sized With Window (for Excel charts): I want it back, plea
While I appreciate that not every function survives from one version to the next, this is one I sorely miss ! I use Excel 2003 at work, and 2007 at home. I can stand the constant bleating about compatability. I can even (barely) tolerate the highlight colors not matching. But this? Why oh why was it removed? Can you at least recommend a macro / VBA script patch to reurn this functionality to the program ? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" b...

Money 2007: Customize asset classes?
Is it possible to customize the pre-defined asset classes in Money 2007? I'd like to slice and dice my portfolio in more detail than just cash/bonds/large-med-small cap/other. For example I have various international and REIT funds in my account. I'd like to track these seperate instead of dumping them in Other.. Also, what about a blend fund that is 70% large, 20% med, 10% small, etc? Customize: No. For the purpose of asset allocation, there's a button labeled 'Change' on the investment details screen. There, you can divvy it up across the pre-determined catego...

Find function in a macro
I want to set up a macro that searches a column for a value 'X' and then selects the cell right under the cell that contains 'X'. I have been stumped on this for a few days now and would really really appreciate any sort of help or guidance. Thanks a lot! SK --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Sub Findit() Dim r as Range For Each r in Range("A1:A1000") 'Or whatever yours is If r.Value = "X" Then Range("A" & r.Row+1).Select 'Change A to your column Exit For End If Next End Sub K P.S. You could probably use an...

Pivot Table 2007 display field only in Grand Total
Dear Excel experts, I have a Pivot Table (Excel 2007). As an example, the table consists of two Colum Labels (Expense 1 and Expense 2). Values under the Column Labels are Actual Expense, Budget and Full Year budget. All Values (Actual Expense, Budget and Full Year budget) are totaled in the Grand Total. However, Management want to see Full Year Budget only in Grand Total (not under Expenses 1 and Expense 2). I was manually hiding those values. Is there a way to automate this? Thanks ...

Outlook 2007 Auto open email from known sender
There are a few people in my contact list with whom I need to keep in constant contact. A nice feature would be, for those individuals I trust, to automatically open email on my desktop, or at least to make the auto-notification window persistent. Thanks, Jeff ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader a...

Export to EXCEL
Can I export my account list to MS EXCEL so I can edit the transactions, specify the dates etc? Thank you. There's an add-on called Moneylink which can get the data out, or alternatively you can export from reports. However, if you want to put the data back in, that's another matter - you'd need to import that data using QIF and that's not so easy if you are attempting to purely change the existing data and not doing further analysis "Jae" <jva@world-net.co.nz> wrote in message news:6c1b01c341fa$653e7f90$3101280a@phx.gbl... > Can I export my account lis...

intelligent message filter moving everything to junk mail
i recently upgraded to exchange 2003 on a windows 2000 server and installed the intelligent message filter. no matter what i set the scl rating threshold for gateway blocking or store junk email configuration (in global settings/message delivery), every message that is sent from an external source gets automatically dumped into the junk e-mail folder in outlook. but when a message is sent from the same exchange box to another user on the same exchange, its fine. i also installed a utility that views the archived messages, but that utility shows a blank SCL rating. maybe thats why its ending ...

Problem with installation of Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007
L.S. I have problem with re-installing Microfost Office Enterprise 2007. With the help of Google I discovered that a part of the problem were the remnants of the former installation that didn't show up in the "Software" window, and I removed them using Windows Install Cleanup. Now the installation process is proceeding further that before, but still cancels at a certain point, restarting the computer doesn't seem to help. In the "SetupExe"document in my \Temp map the following frase seems to point at the error in the installation: Log level chan...