Using variable names for cells

I seem to remember a technique where I could assign a variable name to
the contents of a cell so that whenever I wanted to use the contents,
all I had to do was call up the variable name.  Unfortunately I cannot
find the way to set up the process.  Any suggestsions or ideas would be
appreciated.  Thanks and a Happy New Year.
--
Take out the trash to reply

'05 FLHTCUI
0
sscully2 (7)
12/30/2004 5:46:28 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi

dim rng as range
set rng=activesheet.range("A1")
msgbox rng.value

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

Ultraglide wrote:
> I seem to remember a technique where I could assign a variable name to
> the contents of a cell so that whenever I wanted to use the contents,
> all I had to do was call up the variable name.  Unfortunately I cannot
> find the way to set up the process.  Any suggestsions or ideas would
> be appreciated.  Thanks and a Happy New Year.

0
frank.kabel (11126)
12/30/2004 5:44:27 PM
You can name a cell, then use that name in a formula. For example:

In cell C2, type:  .07
Select cell C2
Click in the Name Box, to the left of the formula bar
Type:  GST
Press the Enter key, to complete the naming

In cell C5, type:  100
In cell C6, type:  =C5*GST
Press the Enter key, to see the result.

Ultraglide wrote:
> I seem to remember a technique where I could assign a variable name to
> the contents of a cell so that whenever I wanted to use the contents,
> all I had to do was call up the variable name.  Unfortunately I cannot
> find the way to set up the process.  Any suggestsions or ideas would be
> appreciated.  Thanks and a Happy New Year.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)
12/30/2004 5:51:28 PM
Thanks very much all.

Debra Dalgleish wrote:

> You can name a cell, then use that name in a formula. For example:
>
> In cell C2, type:  .07
> Select cell C2
> Click in the Name Box, to the left of the formula bar
> Type:  GST
> Press the Enter key, to complete the naming
>
> In cell C5, type:  100
> In cell C6, type:  =C5*GST
> Press the Enter key, to see the result.
>
> Ultraglide wrote:
> > I seem to remember a technique where I could assign a variable name to
> > the contents of a cell so that whenever I wanted to use the contents,
> > all I had to do was call up the variable name.  Unfortunately I cannot
> > find the way to set up the process.  Any suggestsions or ideas would be
> > appreciated.  Thanks and a Happy New Year.
>
> --
> Debra Dalgleish
> Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

Take out the trash to reply

'05 FLHTCUI
0
sscully2 (7)

Prevent clicking on a cell

if cell is text move left one column

Using scanner in Word97

Using later version of microsoft access

Separating Date and Time in a cell

Using Company Wide Mail Templates.

Dynamic Range Selection Using VBA

Automatic changes in cells

Using Publisher 200 with Publisher 2003

Calculating on alphabetic cell content

Sorting Cells by Colors

How do I create upper/lower case letters in cells?
I have a large spreadsheet with names/addresses that are all capitalized. I want to make them upper and lower case (SMITH = Smith). What's the formula? You could create helper cells with this formula =proper(A1) "boz130" wrote: > I have a large spreadsheet with names/addresses that are all capitalized. I > want to make them upper and lower case (SMITH = Smith). What's the formula? ...

Change Domain Name on outgoing Emails
Our company just purchased another company with their own Exchange Server and AD infrastrure. We want all users in this new facility to have Email addresses with our Domain such as username@abc.com instead of their current Domain username@123.com. Until I migrate resources from their Forest into our Forest I have created contacts to forward all Emails from the abc Domain to the 123 Domain. When users reply or send Emails from the 123 Domain it still has their username@123.com Email address which will cause confusion with our customers and suppliers. How do I force their Emails to us...