Using SUM to calculate values of cells containing formulae

Hi

I'm new to this forum so "Hello" to everybody. I've had a look aroun
the forum but I can't seem to find the answer to my problem. I'm sur
it must be possible but I've tried everything I know short of writing
Macro. I hope one of you wonderful people will be able to help, I can'
believe I am the first person to come up against this problem

Here's the problem (somewhat simplified) ;

I have a column of cells containing the following formulae

Cell 1 (K2) =VLOOKUP(I2,$A2:$E34,5)
Cell 2 (K3) =VLOOKUP(I3,$A35:$E103,5)
Cell 3 (K4) =VLOOKUP(I4,$A104:$E176,5)

which looks up the value contained in cells I2, I3 & I4 and returns th
corresponding values from the range specified into cells K2, K3 & K4

So far so good - but now I want to total the 3 cells up i.e. K2 + K3
K4

If I use SUM it gives a value of 0 and most other things return a
error. I've tried various ways of converting the formula to a value b
adding INT, or by using CELL but nothing seems to work.

Please help as I am tearing my hair out, and I don't have much left!

Cheer

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi

seems odd to me that this doesn't work .. what's actually in column E of the
range you're looking up to ... and what's its format (right mouse click on
it, choose format cells ... )
what's the format of cells K2, K3 & K4

Cheers
JulieD

"jarwyn >" <<jarwyn.1b542w@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I'm new to this forum so "Hello" to everybody. I've had a look around
> the forum but I can't seem to find the answer to my problem. I'm sure
> it must be possible but I've tried everything I know short of writing a
> Macro. I hope one of you wonderful people will be able to help, I can't
> believe I am the first person to come up against this problem
>
> Here's the problem (somewhat simplified) ;
>
> I have a column of cells containing the following formulae
>
> Cell 1 (K2) =VLOOKUP(I2,$A2:$E34,5)
> Cell 2 (K3) =VLOOKUP(I3,$A35:$E103,5)
> Cell 3 (K4) =VLOOKUP(I4,$A104:$E176,5)
>
> which looks up the value contained in cells I2, I3 & I4 and returns the
> corresponding values from the range specified into cells K2, K3 & K4
>
> So far so good - but now I want to total the 3 cells up i.e. K2 + K3 +
> K4
>
> If I use SUM it gives a value of 0 and most other things return an
> error. I've tried various ways of converting the formula to a value by
> adding INT, or by using CELL but nothing seems to work.
>
> Please help as I am tearing my hair out, and I don't have much left!
>
> Cheers
>

> ---

JulieD1 (2295)
8/17/2004 4:06:58 PM
Hi

Thanks JulieD

You saved my scalp ... when I checked the formatting it was set t
NUMBER with 1 decimal place and it looked like it was a value
couldn't see anything wrong with it ... but when I overtyped the valu
in the cell with the same value again ... it worked.

Don't know why it wasn't picking it up, all I can think is that
imported the values in from the Internet so it may have been som
hidden html formatting or something strange.

Anyway, many thanks ... and if you're in The Oak anytime, me and m
barber will buy you a drink.

Cheer

glad it's solved ... the way i'm feeling today i'll go to any expense to
find any pub anywhere :)  ... directions please :)

"jarwyn >" <<jarwyn.1b55vq@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Thanks JulieD
>
> You saved my scalp ... when I checked the formatting it was set to
> NUMBER with 1 decimal place and it looked like it was a value -
> couldn't see anything wrong with it ... but when I overtyped the value
> in the cell with the same value again ... it worked.
>
> Don't know why it wasn't picking it up, all I can think is that I
> imported the values in from the Internet so it may have been some
> hidden html formatting or something strange.
>
> Anyway, many thanks ... and if you're in The Oak anytime, me and my
> barber will buy you a drink.
>
> Cheers
>

> ---

JulieD1 (2295)
8/17/2004 10:36:39 PM
LOL ... your day can't be that bad surely? The day is what you make o
it after all!!! Mind you, the old kareoke in the Oak can be a bit ba
at times. Turn right at Luton, turn left at Baldock and it's about th
3rd Pub on the right ... lol.

I'm struggling with another prob now ... to do with data tables an
combo boxes but I'll post it in a new thread. I used to know how to d
it in the good old days of Lotus 123 V1 ... lol ... now THAT was
spreadsheet!!

Cheers
:

Summing Alternate Rows
We have spreadsheets with many rows and need to sum alternate rows. Is there a way to do this without entering a formula using the number of each row? -- KarenQ ------------------------------------------------------------------------ KarenQ's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=19608 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=395115 Try this: =SUMPRODUCT(--(MOD(ROW($A$1:$A$18),2)=1),$A$1:$A$18) That formula sums odd-row values in the range A1:A18. To sum even-row values the formula is: =SUMPRODUCT(--(MOD(ROW($A$1:$A$18...

visual basic

Using mouse wheel in VB editor

Joining text with a formula in cell #4

IsOutLookClient() returns wrong value

Use exchange from a trusted domain

Single click selects multiple cells

Extending formulas
Subject: Extending formulas Hi, For my application that uses Excel for calculations. I need to be able to extend the forula base of Excell with complex scientifc functions. Is there a way to add new functions to the Excel function base? Thanks Spx. MS has provided Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) to customize Excel with new functions, commands, forms, menus, etc. Tools|Macro|Visual Basic Editor From the VBA editor Insert Module Then write your functions in VBA. Details of writting functions in VBA is a very big topic, http://www.fontstuff.com/vba/vbatut01.htm may help y...

Referencing cells across sheets

How to unlock locked cells by MACRO?!

How Use ShellExecute with a CMemFile

Date Calculation

Calculating totals
I have two columns on a worksheet: "Project Codes" and "Totals." I would like to have columns on another worksheet that will automatically total up the different project numbers "A,B,C,etc." How do I do that? Thanks in advance for your help, Technically Handicapped Enter a *unique* list of your "Project Codes", starting in A2 of Sheet2. In B2, enter this formula: =SUMIF(Sheet1!A:A,A2,Sheet1!B:B) And copy down as needed. -- HTH, RD ===================================================== Please keep all correspondence within the G...

Need to add to current formula

Using INDIRECT within functions

Value is BLANK