Using data drom one cell as part of a formula in another.

I am trying to use the data from one cell as part of a formula i
another.

For example:
I have a three sheet workbook.
The first sheet contains lists of data to be used in the followin
sheets.
i.e. Column 1 is List 1, Column 2 is List 2 etc
The rows contain values.
i.e. Row I contains Value 1, Row 2 contains Value 2 etc.

The following sheets, named ListData1, ListData2 etc must contain dat
from these lists laid out differently.
I can achieve this by entering the formulae to refer back to Sheet1.
e.g.	For ListData1 ... =Sheet1!A1, =Sheet1!A2 etc
	For ListData2 ... =Sheet1!B1, =Sheet1!B2 etc

For each new list on Sheet1, I create new a new ListData worksheet b
copying the last existing one.
The problem is for each new ListData sheet I create, I must re-enter o
edit the formulae to reference the next list from Sheet 1.

What I would like to do is enter the letter reference in a separat
cell on the ListData worksheets,
i.e. the letter "A" on ListData1 in Cell A1
This would then be read into the formulae,
i.e.
	=Sheet1!(contents of cell A1)1, =Sheet1!(contents of cell A1)2 etc

Then I need only edit one cell on each new ListData worksheet.

This seems to be such a useful feature that I'm sure it must b
possible to do but I haven't been able to find it yet.
Any help would be appreciated.

Regards
Ro

        Attachment filename: usingcelldatainformulae.xls
Download attachment: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=66343

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi
try
=INDIRECT("'sheet1'!" & A1 & ROW(1:1))
and copy this down

formula in
>another.
>
>For example:
>I have a three sheet workbook.
>The first sheet contains lists of data to be used in the
following
>sheets.
>i.e. Column 1 is List 1, Column 2 is List 2 etc
>The rows contain values.
>i.e. Row I contains Value 1, Row 2 contains Value 2 etc.
>
>The following sheets, named ListData1, ListData2 etc must
contain data
>from these lists laid out differently.
>I can achieve this by entering the formulae to refer back
to Sheet1.
>e.g.	For ListData1 ... =Sheet1!A1, =Sheet1!A2 etc
>	For ListData2 ... =Sheet1!B1, =Sheet1!B2 etc
>
>For each new list on Sheet1, I create new a new ListData
worksheet by
>copying the last existing one.
>The problem is for each new ListData sheet I create, I
must re-enter or
>edit the formulae to reference the next list from Sheet 1.
>
>What I would like to do is enter the letter reference in
a separate
>cell on the ListData worksheets,
>i.e. the letter "A" on ListData1 in Cell A1
>This would then be read into the formulae,
>i.e.
>	=Sheet1!(contents of cell A1)1, =Sheet1!(contents
of cell A1)2 etc

>Then I need only edit one cell on each new ListData
worksheet.

>This seems to be such a useful feature that I'm sure it
must be

http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=663437
>---
>
>.

0
frank.kabel (11126)

New to excel

Count If Formula #4

Using Relative path for XML data file?

Pulling data from separate tabs

default values in a cell

Formula for Game Spreadsheet
I am currenly playing a game of Ars Magica. I am using a spreadsheet to compute the info for my character. I am having a probllem with the casting total for spells related to a paticular character. The Formula is as follows : =IF(H13="","--",IF(J13="",INDIRECT(H13),MIN(INDIRECT(H13),INDIRECT(LEFT(J13,2)),INDIRECT(RIGHT(J13,2))))+IF(K13="",INDIRECT(I13),MIN(INDIRECT(I13),INDIRECT(LEFT(K13,2)),INDIRECT(RIGHT(K13,2))))+Sta+IF(N13="",0,$H$2)) I am trying to compute the casting total for the spells castable by this character. The total for the ...

Setting a dynamic range in a formula

data sort

using the journal on outlook

predict future data

Converting Formula into Numbers?
With a cell/s selected is there a way to convert the cell's formula into straight numbers (in turn removing all formula and leaving the same number)? -- Emp-Designer ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Emp-Designer's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=37564 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=571948 Emp-Designer a �crit : > With a cell/s selected is there a way to convert the cell's formula into > straight numbers (in turn removing all formula and leaving the same &...

formula or VBA
I need to search through a column checking condtions. If the conditions are met, then I want to enter the corresponding value in the column next to it into a different cell. Basically, I want to search column A and, if the conditions are met, put the value in B into C. Would this be easier via formula or code? And maybe some starting suggestions would be nice if you don't mind. -- Thanks, Jim in a formula in col b =if(cond,a1,"") using vba for each c in range("a1:a100") if cond then c.offset(0,1)=c next -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "...

Does Outlook use the DAV protocol?

Help with importing data

Formula for cross tab data filling