Using a 'string inside a string' test inside a formula

Hi, all. Thank you in advance for your help with this problem that has
bugged me know for weeks.

My problem is this: my company sells only four basic categories of
items but, within each category, there can be as many as 15 variations.
The product description codes in our database are cryptic and only a
single digit in that long code identifies the basic category of each
item.

So, I have a spreadsheet with a list purchases that looks like this:

Units         Product        Customer
5             XYZ_1_verA     ABC Ltd.
3             XYZ_1_verB     XYZ Inc.
19            ABC_2_verA     LMN Corp.
4             XYZ_1_verC     ABC Ltd.

The number in the product description indicates into which product
category the specific product purchased falls. In the above example, a
total 12 units of category one were purchased and 19 of category 2.
Customer ABC purchased 9 units of product category one and XYZ
purchased three. LMN purchased 19 of product category two.

Elsewhere on the sheet, I want to be able to enter the customer name
into a cell and, in the cells below, I want to show the number total
number of units purchased of each of the four product categories. At
first, I thought it would be simple, using an example of a multiple
condition sum array straight from the Help file. To test it I wrote:

=SUM(IF((c:c="ABC Ltd.")*(B:B="XYZ_1_verA"),A:A))

This added all values in column A where the customer name equals "ABC
Ltd." AND the product purchased equaled that one specific item. This
worked well.
I added the variable to the customer name so that it would search for
whatever I typed into cell F1:

=SUM(IF((c:c=F1)*(B:B="XYZ_1_verA"),A:A))

This worked too.

Now, the challenge: I need to sum the units purchased of each category
of product, not the specific product. I thought this would be easy by
using a wildcard to focus on the category number:

=SUM(IF((c:c=F1)*(B:B="*1*"),A:A))

But it interprets "*1*" literally, not as "anything before a '1'and
anything after". In fact, after testing, I realized that even a basic
"if" function will not accept a wildcard in a string test (ie: the
formula =if(B1="*1*", "true", "false") will only show "true" if the
cell B1 contains, literally, "*1*").

QUESTION 1: Is there a way to force a formula/function to use the
wildcard?

I looked at the Search/Find function but, while it will report a value
(and thus "true") when it finds the number in the cell, it generates
and error if it doesn't find it and is thus useless. I thought of using
"instr" but that VB function doesn't appear to be supported in an Excel
cell formula. I also thought that using Countif might work - as in:

=sum(if((c:c=F1)*(countif(B:B,"=*1*")),A:A))

- since Countif and Sumif seem to work with wildcards. Alas, this just
totals up ALL purchases by the customer in F1.

QUESTION 2: is there a way of doing this at all?

I am flabbergasted that Excel doesn't seem to include a function for
doing this. Of course, maybe it's just me (or make that it's probably
just me).

Any and all help welcome.

Nikko

0
lynn_nick (3)
1/21/2007 7:07:08 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi Nikko

You could certainly use Find/Search:

=SUMPRODUCT(--($C$1:$C$10=F10),--ISNUMBER(FIND("2",$B$1:$B$10)),$A$1:$A$10)

You'll need to adjust your ranges to suit - you can't use whole column
refs with Sumproduct, so the max (in xl2003) will be A1:A65535 for
example.

Hope this helps!

Richard

On 21 Jan 2007 11:07:08 -0800, "Nikko963" <lynn_nick@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I looked at the Search/Find function but, while it will report a value
>(and thus "true") when it finds the number in the cell, it generates
>and error if it doesn't find it and is thus useless.

That's true, but you can use a construct such as:

=ISNUMBER(FIND("1",A1))

which will return TRUE or FALSE depending on the presence or absence of a 1 in
cell A1.

--ron
0
ronrosenfeld (3122)
1/21/2007 7:22:08 PM
And just realised I put a 2 in the Find function, not the 1 you asked
for - d'oh!!

RichardSchollar wrote:
> [...]
> > cell B1 contains, literally, "*1*").
> >
> > QUESTION 1: Is there a way to force a formula/function to use the
> > wildcard?
> >
> > I looked at the Search/Find function but, while it will report a value
> > (and thus "true") when it finds the number in the cell, it generates
> > and error if it doesn't find it and is thus useless. I thought of using
> > "instr" but that VB function doesn't appear to be supported in an Excel
> > cell formula. I also thought that using Countif might work - as in:
> >
> > =sum(if((c:c=F1)*(countif(B:B,"=*1*")),A:A))
> >
> > - since Countif and Sumif seem to work with wildcards. Alas, this just
> > totals up ALL purchases by the customer in F1.
> >
> > QUESTION 2: is there a way of doing this at all?
> >
> > I am flabbergasted that Excel doesn't seem to include a function for
> > doing this. Of course, maybe it's just me (or make that it's probably

Try this:

F1 = ABC Ltd.
F2 = 1 (product category)

=SUMPRODUCT(--(C1:C4=F1),--(ISNUMBER(FIND(F2,B1:B4))),A1:A4)

Biff

"Nikko963" <lynn_nick@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> cell B1 contains, literally, "*1*").
>
> QUESTION 1: Is there a way to force a formula/function to use the
> wildcard?
>
> I looked at the Search/Find function but, while it will report a value
> (and thus "true") when it finds the number in the cell, it generates
> and error if it doesn't find it and is thus useless. I thought of using
> "instr" but that VB function doesn't appear to be supported in an Excel
> cell formula. I also thought that using Countif might work - as in:
>
> =sum(if((c:c=F1)*(countif(B:B,"=*1*")),A:A))
>
> - since Countif and Sumif seem to work with wildcards. Alas, this just
> totals up ALL purchases by the customer in F1.
>
> QUESTION 2: is there a way of doing this at all?
>
> I am flabbergasted that Excel doesn't seem to include a function for
> doing this. Of course, maybe it's just me (or make that it's probably

0
biffinpitt (3172)
1/21/2007 7:40:51 PM
You folks rock! I've been struggling with this for weeks. Never would
have thought about using the ISNUMBER.

To Microsoft: IT SHOULDN'T HAVE TO BE THIS DIFFICULT!! (For all the
good that's going to do.)

Thanks a million!

Nikko

0
lynn_nick (3)

Use Form to prompt for report criteria

Help with a formula..
I am trying to create a formula that will take information from a cell on one sheet and combine it with text on another sheet. I know how to get the two together. My problem is that I want the part that is brought in to be bolded type. Here is what I have in the formula. ="we are pleased to submit our quotation for "&(cell reference)&" according to the following specifications." What I want to do is have the cell reference part be bold type. Is there a way to do that? It doesnt work if I bold the cell.. already tried it.. Any suggestions? Thanks! KK You'...

Trouble doing a formula for excel
Hi All I have a spreadsheet with the following A1: z:\data/pc32/tsheets\unsorder00039.csv I would like to add 1 too the number to make unsorder00040.csv and so I have try mid,right,left i can't seem to do it Cheers "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:53AAB904-8595-499F-BF38-8BE00826101C@microsoft.com... > Hi All > > I have a spreadsheet with the following > A1: z:\data/pc32/tsheets\unsorder00039.csv > > I would like to add 1 too the number to make unsorder00040.csv and so > I have try mid,right,left i can't see...

Just Testing 09-07-07
Just Testing please ignore -- Jim Bunton ...

copying formulas in vba
Hey guys. I was wondering if someone could help me. I am writing a vba script that takes in data, analyzes it, and then copies the results to a new file. I am having a problem with two things. 1) I am using a template for the new file so there are a lot of formulas (sums and std) already defined and ready to use. However, there are some instances where there is a random amount of additional data I have to put in. So, I have to apply the same formulas to this new data. How do I copy formulas from one cell to another (allowing for a change in row) in vba? Lets say cell(1,4) has the form...

Not using zeros in graphing.
I have a running workbook that has tons of information. I have added a sum page in order to have all the data summed up in one simple place. I have formulas that read back into the workbook to link to a cell. Depending on what moth it is, that cell could be empty as it is a yearly wookbook. For example, if this is August, then there is information in the workbook up to August, but none after. With that said, the sum page has the #DIV/0! in the cell which essentially equals zero. I also have graphs that I have linked to this sum page. My problem is in order to keep the graphs up to...

Excel formula #24
What is the formula that brings back a zero for an empty cell instead of 0 0 #DIV/0! Try =if(iserror(formula),0,formula) ************ Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "Dave" <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8392DE7F-0B65-4DEE-87F4-985133BB1976@microsoft.com... > What is the formula that brings back a zero for an empty cell instead of > 0 0 #DIV/0! > ...

using vba so search multiple Sheets

DPM and VMM on same server using side-by-side SQL installation
Windows 2008 Std R2 Server, 64bit VMM 2007 is currently installed (with the built-in default database) SQL 2005 Express Edition, SP3, 32bit. I was advised by Microsoft that both VMM and DPM could be installed on the same server (small DR environment) The VMs are hosted on a Windows 2008 Enterprise Server w/ VS2005R2 - because the hardware didn't support HyperV. VMM works great to manage the Windows 2008 VS2005R2 Host running Win2K3 server instances ... after lots of trial and error. Now, I need to install DPM 2007 onto the same server... DPM wants to install the 64bit vers...

Test papaers
I need a test papers for Excel ...

Use a VBA Macro inside an Excel Cell

A student figuring a formula for wages
Hello, I am beginner student trying to figure out a formula that calculates how to pay people for the number of hours they work, and at the same time figure out any overtime they may have. The wage is in cell B4, and the # of hours is in cell C4. Overtime is figured at 1.5 of the wage in B4. I must put the end result in F4. The instructor rushed through his presentation, and said to use the "if function". The assignment is due on tuesday and any help with this is greatly appreciated. -Thanks in advance ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted fro...

Is there a way to graph data which utilizes the "fixed" function for decimal places? When I try this it will not graph, as the data has become text or something - even though I've selected number in the cell formats. If you've fixed the number of digits using only number formats, the values remain numeric, and they should chart just fine. This means selecting the range, going to the Formatting menu and selecting Cells, and on the Number tab, selecting Number in the category list, and setting a number of digits. I'm not familiar with a "fixed function". I...

slow sync with Calendar using Kyocera 7135 via Outlook 2003
I'm stuck and need help. I have a Two Day Old Brand New Dell Dimension 4600. Does anyone out there know what to do when Outlook 2003 is giving a Log report that reads that Outlook Calendar - Slow Sync synchronization failed? This is a first time occurence for me. Outlook also reported that a device is trying to get access to my E- Mail addresses which may indicate a Virus may be present. I've run my McAfee Virus Protection and it didn't detrect anything. I'm at my wits end and don't know what else to do. Can anybody help? ...

I Need an answer for this Formula
I am using excell 2007 & this formula works {=IFERROR(AVERAGE(IF(MOD(COLUMN(G5:HC5)-COLUMN(G5),4)=0,IF(G5:HC5>0,G5:HC5))),0)} When i upload this workbook to a 2003 version this formula does not work I get {=_xinfl.IFERROR(AVERAGE(IF(MOD(COLUMN(G5:HC5)-COLUMN(G5),4)=0,IF(G5:HC5>0,G5:HC5))),0)} or somthing close to this Then in the cell with this formula has a NAME error WHY & HOW could i fix The IFERROR function can only be used in Excel 2007. Try this array formula** : =LOOKUP(1E100,CHOOSE({1,2},0,AVERAGE(IF(MOD(COLUMN(G5:HC5)-COLUMN(G5),4)=0,IF(G5:HC5>0,G5:HC5)))...

Creating formulas to calculate time on a 24 hr time clock
I have to create a spreadsheet that will calculate total hrs worked. I've tried several different ways but I guess I don't know enough about building formulas to actually make the thing work. For example, I used a basic formula D3=A3-B3+IF(A3>B3,1)*12. This works to show the time but not the number of hours worked. If an employee comes in 1/2 hour late, it does not properly calculate this. How can I correct my formula? MW I have tried your formula and it works fine (with start time in B3 and finish time in A3). Format the reult as h:mm and it's OK. Andy "MWI...

invalid use of property message
I am trying to cre4ate a macro that checks the value of a number of sheets to determine if they are already visible and if so it will not close them - With Sheets("Pay Inflation - Biometrics") Sheets ("Statistics") Sheets ("Direct Cost Savings Breakdown") Sheets ("OT Reduction") Sheets ("Nurse OT Reduction") Sheets ("Premium Labor Utilization") Sheets ("Pay inflation - Timestamp") Sheets ("Calculation Error") Sheets ("Le...

Public Const strConstantBlue As String = "RGB(79, 129, 189)" throwing error messages
Dear Experts: I declared a Public Constant whose value is valid for a COUPLE of macros. The declaration statement to define the value of the constant is as follows: Public Const strConstantBlue As String = "RGB(79, 129, 189)" The above defined constant will then be used in below macro as well as several similar macros. I declared a Public Const so that I just have to alter the RGB values in one place, should a change be required. Regrettably the macro throws error messages, telling me that a runtime error 13 has occurred. What's wrong with the declaration sta...

can not Send/receive using Outlook 2003
Just bouhght new computer and am loading all of my software that worked onmy old one. When I try to send and recieve I get the message object not found. I have used test and this work ok. I have also reloaded all of my broadband and office software numerous times to no prevail. Software Windows xp Office 2003 ADSlL broadband with bigpond Gp Check to make sure the accounts are setup correctly if they are then run Detect and Repair, still an issue then create a new profile. May also want to check your anti-virus software program setting for outgoing mail and disable that option. Rega...

using rule creates multiple entries. How can I stop this?
I'm going to give you the details of this so maybe someone can just tell me how to correct or whether it can be corrected. I've tried creating different rules, rules with exceptions, multiple rules with multiple exceptions, all I can think. Here is the scenario. Although I'm using Lisa as an example, this problem applies to every staffer in my 9 person office. Lisa is my secretary. She sends me internal email, staff questions and stuff which goes to a a "Staff" subfolder of the Inbox. I have a rule for this. She also sends me mail she has scanned. I ha...

OWA works inside. Basic works outside, but not Premium.
This system has SBS 2003 OWA working internally without issue. OWA Basic works externally and login to Premium works. Port 443 is the only external firewall port open inbound. In mail I can see everything in Premium and move items from folders delete and move back to the inbox. I can't access Calendaring but I believe that it is related to the main issue. That issue is I can't open any mail for viewing. I can't create new mail. The only message on the browser is error on the status bar. I believe that other unspecified ports or configuration are required through non MS ...

test #2
Please do not use production groups for test postings, people posting here expect answers. Use one of these for connectivity and test posting. news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.test news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.a.test news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.test "Bastard" <bastard@getwenn.com> wrote in message news:eFGLcJV5DHA.1936@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... And a different name might be a bit more conducive to gaining any help from the folks here. :-) -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sy...