USE DISJUNCT DATA IN A CHART

DATA LOOKS LIKE THIS

A                    B                          C
YEAR             COUNTY               ESTIMATE
1981               ADAMS                 100
1981               ALLEN                   25
1981               ASHLAND              71
1981               ASHTABULA          40
1982               ADAMS                 150
1982               ALLEN                   30
2005               ADAMS                 1000
2005                ALLEN                  500

I HAVE 88 COUNTIES AND 25 YEARS OF POPULATION ESTIMATES.  FOR EACH
COUNTY I WANT A SIMPLE X*Y LINE CHART, YEAR ON X, ESTIMATE ON Y.
PROBLEM IS, THE POPULATION ESTIMATES FOR EACH COUNTY ARE 88 ROWS APART.
 FOR ADAMS COUNTY, I WOULD NEED C1, C89, C177, C265, ... FOR ALLEN IT
WOULD BE C2, C90, C178, C266... AND SO ON.  I CAN'T GROUP THE COUNTIES
BECAUSE THERE ARE FORMULAS IN THE CELLS WITH NAMED RANGES AND
EVERYTHING WOULD BE GARBAGE IF I REARRANGED THE ROWS.

CAN SOMEONE HELP ME FIGURE OUT HOW TO EXTRACT EVERY 88TH ROW, BEGINNING
WITH ROW 1 AND THEN 2 AND 3, AND CONTINUING THRU ROW 88?

I WOULD BE INDEBTED.  I'VE INVESTED WAY TOO MUCH TIME ALREADY FOR THIS
TO FLOP NOW.

THANK YOU.

MIKE

0
mtonkovich (100)
7/13/2006 3:40:29 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Mike,

If you have Excel XP or greater (and possibly Excel 2000 - I forget) you can use a Pivot chart to do
what you want, with Year as a row field, County as the column field, and Estimate as the data.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Takeadoe" <mtonkovich@msn.com> wrote in message
> DATA LOOKS LIKE THIS
>
> A                    B                          C
> YEAR             COUNTY               ESTIMATE
> 1981               ADAMS                 100
> 1981               ALLEN                   25
> 1981               ASHLAND              71
> 1981               ASHTABULA          40
> 1982               ADAMS                 150
> 1982               ALLEN                   30
> 2005               ADAMS                 1000
> 2005                ALLEN                  500
>
> I HAVE 88 COUNTIES AND 25 YEARS OF POPULATION ESTIMATES.  FOR EACH
> COUNTY I WANT A SIMPLE X*Y LINE CHART, YEAR ON X, ESTIMATE ON Y.
> PROBLEM IS, THE POPULATION ESTIMATES FOR EACH COUNTY ARE 88 ROWS APART.
> FOR ADAMS COUNTY, I WOULD NEED C1, C89, C177, C265, ... FOR ALLEN IT
> WOULD BE C2, C90, C178, C266... AND SO ON.  I CAN'T GROUP THE COUNTIES
> BECAUSE THERE ARE FORMULAS IN THE CELLS WITH NAMED RANGES AND
> EVERYTHING WOULD BE GARBAGE IF I REARRANGED THE ROWS.
>
> CAN SOMEONE HELP ME FIGURE OUT HOW TO EXTRACT EVERY 88TH ROW, BEGINNING
> WITH ROW 1 AND THEN 2 AND 3, AND CONTINUING THRU ROW 88?
>
> I WOULD BE INDEBTED.  I'VE INVESTED WAY TOO MUCH TIME ALREADY FOR THIS
> TO FLOP NOW.
>
> THANK YOU.
>
> MIKE

0
Bernie
7/13/2006 8:55:13 PM
Bernie - I think you may have something there!  I forgot about the
pivot table!  Your time is appreicated.

Regards,

Mike
Bernie Deitrick wrote:
> Mike,
>
> If you have Excel XP or greater (and possibly Excel 2000 - I forget) you can use a Pivot chart to do
> what you want, with Year as a row field, County as the column field, and Estimate as the data.
>
> HTH,
> Bernie
> MS Excel MVP
>

> "Takeadoe" <mtonkovich@msn.com> wrote in message
> > DATA LOOKS LIKE THIS
> >
> > A                    B                          C
> > YEAR             COUNTY               ESTIMATE
> > 1981               ADAMS                 100
> > 1981               ALLEN                   25
> > 1981               ASHLAND              71
> > 1981               ASHTABULA          40
> > 1982               ADAMS                 150
> > 1982               ALLEN                   30
> > 2005               ADAMS                 1000
> > 2005                ALLEN                  500
> >
> > I HAVE 88 COUNTIES AND 25 YEARS OF POPULATION ESTIMATES.  FOR EACH
> > COUNTY I WANT A SIMPLE X*Y LINE CHART, YEAR ON X, ESTIMATE ON Y.
> > PROBLEM IS, THE POPULATION ESTIMATES FOR EACH COUNTY ARE 88 ROWS APART.
> > FOR ADAMS COUNTY, I WOULD NEED C1, C89, C177, C265, ... FOR ALLEN IT
> > WOULD BE C2, C90, C178, C266... AND SO ON.  I CAN'T GROUP THE COUNTIES
> > BECAUSE THERE ARE FORMULAS IN THE CELLS WITH NAMED RANGES AND
> > EVERYTHING WOULD BE GARBAGE IF I REARRANGED THE ROWS.
> >
> > CAN SOMEONE HELP ME FIGURE OUT HOW TO EXTRACT EVERY 88TH ROW, BEGINNING
> > WITH ROW 1 AND THEN 2 AND 3, AND CONTINUING THRU ROW 88?
> >
> > I WOULD BE INDEBTED.  I'VE INVESTED WAY TOO MUCH TIME ALREADY FOR THIS
> > TO FLOP NOW.
> >
> > THANK YOU.
> >
> > MIKE

0
mtonkovich (100)

Get drive letter for old slave hard drive while keeping data
Hello, My master hard disk has failed and I have successfully replaced it with a new one and reinstalled windows XP etc. Before the crash I had a second slave drive with some data I would like to keep on it. When I connect this drive, it shows up in disk management, but does not get assigned a drive letter. How can I get windows to assign a drive letter to the drive without formatting it and losing all of my data? Both drives are IDE drives, the master is jumpered to cable select and is on the master cable, the slave seems to have lost its jumper, or never had one, but sh...

Use Form to prompt for report criteria

Naming charts on own sheet
Hi. I have a series of charts (which are all contained on their own sheets). I need to name each of the charts (as they will be used by someone else in a macro). I have tried clicking on them and also pressing shift before clicking on them, and I am not able to change the name in the name combo box. Can anyone advise me of how I can change the names. Thanks for your help. Hi, If you have chart sheets you can change the name by simply changing the sheet tab name. What you described is the method used on chartobjects, which are usually on a worksheet. Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Mi...

Twist Data?...
Hi all... I've got the following in a dataset: 19 30 1200 FI FI 20030906 36 19 30 1324 FI FI 20030906 36 and I want the following result: 19 30 1200, 1324 FI FI 20030906 26 Any guess on how to do this? thanks much!... Hmmm... Not quite clear: The data is arranged in columns, I assume It looks as if both items in the same column are the same, you want just one item, otherwise the one in the top row first, then the one from the bottom row. But what about the last 36s that should yield 26? Typo? Does the dataset have more columns or more rows or both? And how big is it?...

merging 2 cells without losing data?

loan amortisatio chart not updating
Hi, I use MS Monet 2007 premium. I have created a loan amortisation account which breaks up my monthly instslment into pricipal and interest. The loan commencd from 7 October 2005 and is for a period of 5 years. The problem is that the loan account does ot show any loan instalments beyond 7 October 2006 (exactly 1 year after the commencement). Why is this happening. Why is the account not updating with instalments which have been debited to my account after 7 October 2007. Please help. Were you depending on downloaded transaction data for this account? Did the download link br...

Transformation of data into columns

How do I make a chart with several times during a day
Hi, This seems like it may be a simple thing, yet I can not for the life of me figure out how to do this (or at least semi-easily with VBing it for a while). I have a simple table filled with the following information (example for simplicity): 12pm 5pm 10pm 11/20 5 4 7 11/21 5 4 7 11/23 5 4 7 11/24 5 4 7 11/25 5 4 7 So basically I am keeping track of a numeric value three times a day. I would like to make a chart of it with...

Data Validation List not showing

survival chart
Hi! Does anybody have an idea how it would be possible to trick Excel into making a survival plot? That is a stepped graph ploting cumulative survival on the y axis and time slots on the x. Any suggestion would be most appreciated. Andrej Andrej - I don't have a 'survival plot' per se, but you could look for ideas on my web site. The cumulative probability plot sounds like a possible candidate: http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/Charts/ProbabilityChart.html If it doesn't give you any idea, post back with some typical data, and we'll have a look. - Jo...

Not using zeros in graphing.
I have a running workbook that has tons of information. I have added a sum page in order to have all the data summed up in one simple place. I have formulas that read back into the workbook to link to a cell. Depending on what moth it is, that cell could be empty as it is a yearly wookbook. For example, if this is August, then there is information in the workbook up to August, but none after. With that said, the sum page has the #DIV/0! in the cell which essentially equals zero. I also have graphs that I have linked to this sum page. My problem is in order to keep the graphs up to...

Chart "Benchmark" Line Graph Question
I am generating a graph of many team's monthly audit productivity percentages (bar graph) with a "benchmark" (line graph) at 95% (y axis) across 6 month period (x axis). The problem is that the line graph appears on the graph but the ends of the line are centered in the end columns (left & right). Is there as simple way to extend the benchmark line out to the edges of the graph? MJ Have a great day and live life with passion! ...

Adding extra data options
Is there a way to customize CRM to allow for adding another heading? I would like to add a second field similar to topic and would like to call it type. Can you add extra data fileds and types in CRM 3.0? You can add extra data fields to an entity. Go to entities customization at setting area. -- Marco Amoedo Plain Concepts http://geeks.ms/blogs/marco/ "xxdcmast" escribió: > Is there a way to customize CRM to allow for adding another heading? I would > like to add a second field similar to topic and would like to call it type. > > Can you add extra data ...

Chart printing issue in Excel 2007

trying to link maps and pie charts
Hello I was trying to link sales data stored in an excel table with a specific country in MapPoint. This software allows you to do this very easily. You can even picture the data in piecharts (% sales for each competitor). However there is very little flexibility with the look of the result: you cannot choose the color of the slices of the pie, you may not display data on the graph, and the maps do not look very professional. I know it is possible to link automatically a table with a shape in visio. Can this shape be a given country/region on a map? Can the callouts have th...

using vba so search multiple Sheets

DPM and VMM on same server using side-by-side SQL installation
Windows 2008 Std R2 Server, 64bit VMM 2007 is currently installed (with the built-in default database) SQL 2005 Express Edition, SP3, 32bit. I was advised by Microsoft that both VMM and DPM could be installed on the same server (small DR environment) The VMs are hosted on a Windows 2008 Enterprise Server w/ VS2005R2 - because the hardware didn't support HyperV. VMM works great to manage the Windows 2008 VS2005R2 Host running Win2K3 server instances ... after lots of trial and error. Now, I need to install DPM 2007 onto the same server... DPM wants to install the 64bit vers...