Upgrade to 2002 Problem

I recently used the Microsoft Site to upgrade my  software from 2000 to 2002.  Everything
seemed to have gone well, except I now experience an anoying problem with Excel.

Example:
In a blank worksheet, I enter 500 in cell A1.  In Cell B1, I enter "=A1/5"  without the
quotes, and the value displayed is 100.

Now if I go to cell B1 and delete the leading "=" so that the cell value should be "A1/5",
Excel generates a custom format "B2d-mmm" and the value shown on the formula bar is
"3/8/2003",  and the value shown in the cell is some apparent Arabic writing and the
number 5.

Irritating to say the least.  Can someone explain what's happening and how to fix this so
that the cell format is "General" like it always was before this?

Thanks much,
Bernie

0
iamnu (61)
12/29/2003 3:05:25 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

"bw" wrote...
>I recently used the Microsoft Site to upgrade my  software from 2000 to 2002.
>Everything seemed to have gone well, except I now experience an anoying
>problem with Excel.
>
>Example:
>In a blank worksheet, I enter 500 in cell A1.  In Cell B1, I enter "=A1/5"
>without the quotes, and the value displayed is 100.
>
>Now if I go to cell B1 and delete the leading "=" so that the cell value
>should be "A1/5", Excel generates a custom format "B2d-mmm" and the value
>shown on the formula bar is "3/8/2003",  and the value shown in the cell is
>some apparent Arabic writing and the number 5.

This has been discussed before. See

http://www.google.com/groups?threadm=ON193i6nDHA.3316%40TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl

and

http://www.google.com/groups?threadm=058601c378be%24166edef0%24a401280a%40phx.gbl

Just another case of thoroughly stupid default behavior in Microsoft software.

For anyone using Excel 2003
---------------------------
Is there a new checkbox in the Options dialog to disable/enable this
'functionality'? Is this 'functionality' disabled by default?

--
Never attach files.
Snip unnecessary quoted text.

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 17:47:20 GMT, Harlan Grove<hrlngrv@aol.com> wrote:
> "bw" wrote...
> >I recently used the Microsoft Site to upgrade my  software from 2000 to 2002.
> >Everything seemed to have gone well, except I now experience an anoying
> >problem with Excel.
> >
> >Example:
> >In a blank worksheet, I enter 500 in cell A1.  In Cell B1, I enter "=A1/5"
> >without the quotes, and the value displayed is 100.
> >
> >Now if I go to cell B1 and delete the leading "=" so that the cell value
> >should be "A1/5", Excel generates a custom format "B2d-mmm" and the value
> >shown on the formula bar is "3/8/2003",  and the value shown in the cell is
> >some apparent Arabic writing and the number 5.
>
> This has been discussed before. See
>
> http://www.google.com/groups?threadm=ON193i6nDHA.3316%
40TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl

> and
>
> http://www.google.com/groups?threadm=058601c378be%24166edef0%
24a401280a%40phx.gbl

> Just another case of thoroughly stupid default behavior in Microsoft software.
>

> For anyone using Excel 2003
> ---------------------------
> Is there a new checkbox in the Options dialog to disable/enable this
> 'functionality'? Is this 'functionality' disabled by default?
>
> --
> Never attach files.
> Snip unnecessary quoted text.
> Never multipost (though crossposting is usually OK).
> Don't change subject lines because it corrupts Google newsgroup archives.

Thanks for the response Harlan.

I modified the registry key as indicated at
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=812385 but this DID NOT fix the problem.

The registry values are now as follows:
Name: x19_hijri
Type: REG_DWORD
Data: 0x00000001 (1)

Do you have another suggestion for fixing this?

Thanks,
Bernie

0
iamnu (61)
12/29/2003 10:52:34 PM
"bw" wrote...
>I'm sending this again, as it has not appeared in the new group.
>See below...

??

>I modified the registry key as indicated at
>http://support.microsoft.com/?id=812385 but this DID NOT fix the problem.
>
>The registry values are now as follows:
>Name: x19_hijri
>Type: REG_DWORD
>Data: 0x00000001 (1)
>
>Do you have another suggestion for fixing this?

Did you quit Excel, make this change, then rerun Excel?

There's an off chance the KB article is wrong. For the heck of it, quit Excel,
change this Registry value to zero (0), then rerun Excel.

0
hrlngrv (1990)
12/29/2003 11:09:07 PM
On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 23:09:07 GMT, Harlan Grove<hrlngrv@aol.com> wrote:
> "bw" wrote...
> >I'm sending this again, as it has not appeared in the new group.
> >See below...
>
> ??
>
> >I modified the registry key as indicated at
> >http://support.microsoft.com/?id=812385 but this DID NOT fix the problem.
> >
> >The registry values are now as follows:
> >Name: x19_hijri
> >Type: REG_DWORD
> >Data: 0x00000001 (1)
> >
> >Do you have another suggestion for fixing this?
>
> Did you quit Excel, make this change, then rerun Excel?
>
> There's an off chance the KB article is wrong. For the heck of it, quit Excel,
> change this Registry value to zero (0), then rerun Excel.

Yes sir, I quit Excel, made the change, then did Excel again.

I have now changed the Data value to zero (didn't work) and now back to one (1) again.

Frustrating....

Bernie

0
iamnu (61)
12/30/2003 12:08:55 AM
"bw" wrote...
>>>The registry values are now as follows:
>>>Name: x19_hijri

I should have seen this before. The name above seems to be an x followed by a
numeral one (1) rather than a lower case L (l). Make absolutely certain the name
in your Registry is xl9_hijri - all lower case letters except for the 9 and the
underscore.

0
hrlngrv (1990)
12/30/2003 12:15:17 AM
On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 00:15:17 GMT, Harlan Grove<hrlngrv@aol.com> wrote:
> "bw" wrote...
>
> I should have seen this before. The name above seems to be an x followed by a
> numeral one (1) rather than a lower case L (l). Make absolutely certain the name
> in your Registry is xl9_hijri - all lower case letters except for the 9 and the
> underscore.

Thanks for sticking with me Harlan,  IT WORKS!

The funny thing about this is that I questioned that character myself, and had my wife
look at it also.  We compared that character with the same character in the registry key
that reads \10.0\Excel\Options in the instructions on Microsoft's support page, and we
agreed...they are the same!

I don't know how you knew it was a lower case L instead of a one (1), but you did, and it
solved the problem.

Much appreciation for your help...

Bernie

0
iamnu (61)
12/30/2003 1:10:43 AM
Bernie

You must re-boot your computer for this registry change to take effect.

At least, that was my experience with this.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 00:08:55 GMT, bw <iamnu@cableone.net> wrote:

>On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 23:09:07 GMT, Harlan Grove<hrlngrv@aol.com> wrote:
>> "bw" wrote...
>> >I'm sending this again, as it has not appeared in the new group.
>> >See below...
>>
>> ??
>>
>> >I modified the registry key as indicated at
>> >http://support.microsoft.com/?id=812385 but this DID NOT fix the problem.
>> >
>> >The registry values are now as follows:
>> >Name: x19_hijri
>> >Type: REG_DWORD
>> >Data: 0x00000001 (1)
>> >
>> >Do you have another suggestion for fixing this?
>>
>> Did you quit Excel, make this change, then rerun Excel?
>>
>> There's an off chance the KB article is wrong. For the heck of it, quit Excel,
>> change this Registry value to zero (0), then rerun Excel.
>>

>Yes sir, I quit Excel, made the change, then did Excel again.
>
>I have now changed the Data value to zero (didn't work) and now back to one (1) again.
>
>Frustrating....
>
>Bernie

0
Gord
12/30/2003 1:14:08 AM
Harlan

Next to nothing changed in Tools>Options... Although this behaviour is not
demonstrated by default.

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

"Harlan Grove" <hrlngrv@aol.com> wrote in message
> "bw" wrote...
> >I recently used the Microsoft Site to upgrade my  software from 2000 to
2002.
> >Everything seemed to have gone well, except I now experience an anoying
> >problem with Excel.
> >
> >Example:
> >In a blank worksheet, I enter 500 in cell A1.  In Cell B1, I enter
"=A1/5"
> >without the quotes, and the value displayed is 100.
> >
> >Now if I go to cell B1 and delete the leading "=" so that the cell value
> >should be "A1/5", Excel generates a custom format "B2d-mmm" and the value
> >shown on the formula bar is "3/8/2003",  and the value shown in the cell
is
> >some apparent Arabic writing and the number 5.
> ..
>
> This has been discussed before. See

http://www.google.com/groups?threadm=ON193i6nDHA.3316%40TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl

> and

http://www.google.com/groups?threadm=058601c378be%24166edef0%24a401280a%40phx.gbl

> Just another case of thoroughly stupid default behavior in Microsoft
software.

> For anyone using Excel 2003
> ---------------------------
> Is there a new checkbox in the Options dialog to disable/enable this
> 'functionality'? Is this 'functionality' disabled by default?
>
> --
> Never attach files.
> Snip unnecessary quoted text.
> Never multipost (though crossposting is usually OK).
> Don't change subject lines because it corrupts Google newsgroup archives.

"bw" wrote...
>I don't know how you knew it was a lower case L instead of a one (1), but
>you did, and it solved the problem.

Prior experience filtering typos and other errors in Microsoft documentation. QA
isn't a high priority in their documentation.

0
hrlngrv (1990)
12/30/2003 10:52:05 PM
"Gord Dibben" wrote...
>You must re-boot your computer for this registry change to take effect.
>
>At least, that was my experience with this.

If Excel weren't running when you created this Registry value, it's a mystery
that you'd have needed to reboot. Excel does reread options set in the Registry
when ever it's launched, doesn't it?

Whaich Windows version?

0
hrlngrv (1990)
12/30/2003 10:56:41 PM
Hi Bernie,
Fonts that don't distinguish between letters and/or numbers
are certainly a problem,  what one person sees another person
would see differently because of the font.    By copying and pasting
you should not have a problem.   Using Excel you can check by
examining  with   =LOWER(a1)   and   =UPPER(a1)
    ilo-10    ILO-10

Most fonts have a fatter  letter O than  a zero, but some fonts are the
opposite.     Most fonts used with computer work have digits all the
same width so that numbers line up in a column without difficulty.

Personal computers with email,  web pages, or newsgroups certainly
beats transcribing from a printed page, FAX, or phone conversation.
Transcription errors were once a much bigger problem.

In Excel you will see a lot  of  things prefixed  with   xl  being lowercase XL.
---
HTH,

"bw" <iamnu@cableone.net> wrote in message news:1104_1072746643@news.cableone.net...
> Thanks for sticking with me Harlan,  IT WORKS!
>
> The funny thing about this is that I questioned that character myself, and had my wife
> look at it also.  We compared that character with the same character in the registry key
> that reads \10.0\Excel\Options in the instructions on Microsoft's support page, and we
> agreed...they are the same!
>
> I don't know how you knew it was a lower case L instead of a one (1), but you did, and it
> solved the problem.

0
dmcritchie (2586)

Problems with creating a newsletter

CSV File Problem

Customize Current View: Filter Problem

Month problem

Rounding Problem

Access 2007 and Vista code problem

Offline folder problems #2

OLK 2k7

outlook 2k2 problem

Mother of a sumproduct (ish) problem!

Hyperlink problem #3

CRM 3.0 Login Problems

Spam is a big big problem
Spam is a big big problem ...

Problem with Database Wizard

Strange problem
We have been rolling out new Windows 7 workstations (all new computers) at work over the last few months and a strange problem has developed. Prior to Windows 7 we were using Windows XP with Office 2007. The problem is, we have a workbook which uses a UserForm for filling in all required information. Prior to rolling out the new Windows 7 workstations, the workbook and UserForm were working flawlessly (for over a year) and they still work flawlessly on the first 3 Windows 7 workstations but on the last 2 workstations we rolled out if you open the UserForm and leave it open for ...

creating a backup on 2002 for Money 98

HELP! Outlook POP3 problem(s)

TABSTOP problem
I have a dialog where in depending on the selection from a combo box, the controls below are going to be different. For doing this I have put a static control in the place where I am going to show different controls. I have created different dialog templates for each option. Consider the case of particular option, say "MySQL". Corresponding to this option, there is a dialog in resource, the style of which is child and no border. I have added a class for this dialog called CMySQLDialog. Inside CMySQLDialog there is a function called CreateFromStatic which takes parent and ID as parame...

Problem displaying expected results with CString
I am writing a MFC program to import data from a single table database into a normalized database with numerous tables. The first component opens a recordset object to the database and performs some basic tests on the field value, and the plan is to write the records out to a spreadsheet that fail to meet any of the criteria defined for the field. Along with writing out the record, I want to populate a comments field describing what failed. I have tried to implement this with a CString variable; I initialize it to a blank string each time a new record is examined, and then as each field is che...

Boot Ini Problem
Hi, I am getting the following error message: Invalid Boot Ini Booting from C:/Windows So I research this problem and create a new Boot Ini file and when I reboot I still get this error. I have not attempted yet to do a repair using my XP media, is this what I need to do to fix this problem? Or is there a less painful way to fix this? Thank you. Maybe this will help. You will be interested mainly in the Bootcfg command. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058 "AIANDAS" <AIANDAS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9E04022F-4DC2-...