updating wrong workbook

Using Excel 2007.
I made some un-remembered changes a month ago on a spreadsheet. Have been
using OLD version since by error.
Is there a simple way to compare two spreadsheets and see the difference.
Maybe like change color where cells are different?
Foolish
SG

0
NOONE7706 (35)
6/29/2009 11:05:24 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi,

There are add-in to do this, but I never used any and it would be unfair to
tell you which is best, try Googling

add-in to compare two workbooks in excel

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"shakey" wrote:

> Using Excel 2007.
> I made some un-remembered changes a month ago on a spreadsheet. Have been
> using OLD version since by error.
> Is there a simple way to compare two spreadsheets and see the difference.
> Maybe like change color where cells are different?
> Foolish
> SG

Thanks for a good idea. Found many from free to costly. I will pursue.
Many sites look unhealthy. Mousesoft dot com  and some are dead ends.
SG

"Shane Devenshire" <ShaneDevenshire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:0C56311A-6F6E-4136-A29B-D8402367C50B@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> There are add-in to do this, but I never used any and it would be unfair
> tell you which is best, try Googling
>
> add-in to compare two workbooks in excel
>
> --
> If this helps, please click the Yes button.
>
> Cheers,
> Shane Devenshire
>

> "shakey" wrote:
>
>> Using Excel 2007.
>> I made some un-remembered changes a month ago on a spreadsheet. Have been
>> using OLD version since by error.
>> Is there a simple way to compare two spreadsheets and see the difference.
>> Maybe like change color where cells are different?
>> Foolish
>> SG

Less Spam Better enjoyable experience
Visit : news://spacesst.com
0
NOONE7706 (35)
6/30/2009 3:43:07 AM
Your welcome!

When you get to a site if it have an MVP logo it should be good.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"shakey" wrote:

> Thanks for a good idea. Found many from free to costly. I will pursue.
> Many sites look unhealthy. Mousesoft dot com  and some are dead ends.
> SG
>
> "Shane Devenshire" <ShaneDevenshire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:0C56311A-6F6E-4136-A29B-D8402367C50B@microsoft.com...
> > Hi,
> >
> > There are add-in to do this, but I never used any and it would be unfair
> > tell you which is best, try Googling
> >
> > add-in to compare two workbooks in excel
> >
> > --
> > If this helps, please click the Yes button.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Shane Devenshire
> >

> > "shakey" wrote:
> >
> >> Using Excel 2007.
> >> I made some un-remembered changes a month ago on a spreadsheet. Have been
> >> using OLD version since by error.
> >> Is there a simple way to compare two spreadsheets and see the difference.
> >> Maybe like change color where cells are different?
> >> Foolish
> >> SG

It depends on what you're looking for.

This may help if you want to compare two worksheets and do a cell by cell
comparison (A1 with A1, x99 with x99, ...)

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/whatsnew.aspx
look for compare.xla

======
But as soon as a row/column is inserted or deleted, then the results go to heck.

If you're only looking at values in two worksheets, you may be able to save the
worksheets as comma separated and then use another program to compare these two
..CSV files.

MSWord has this ability.  And there are free versions of file comparisons that
you can find via google.

--

Dave Peterson
0

> It depends on what you're looking for.
>
> This may help if you want to compare two worksheets and do a cell by cell
> comparison (A1 with A1, x99 with x99, ...)
>
> http://www.cpearson.com/excel/whatsnew.aspx
> look for compare.xla
>
> ======
> But as soon as a row/column is inserted or deleted, then the results go to
> heck.
>
> If you're only looking at values in two worksheets, you may be able to
> save the
> worksheets as comma separated and then use another program to compare
> these two
> .CSV files.
>
> MSWord has this ability.  And there are free versions of file comparisons
> that
> you can find via google.
>
> shakey wrote:
>>
>> Using Excel 2007.
>> I made some un-remembered changes a month ago on a spreadsheet. Have been
>> using OLD version since by error.
>> Is there a simple way to compare two spreadsheets and see the difference.
>> Maybe like change color where cells are different?
>> Foolish
>> SG
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
NOONE7706 (35)

Updates not installed
KB976884, KB976416, and KB977304 have failed numerous times. Why? Is there a specific reason? What can I do? Cherry wrote: > KB976884, KB976416, and KB977304 have failed numerous times. Why? > Is there a specific reason? What can I do? So you have Microsoft Works and Microsoft Office 2007 installed? Or just Microsoft Works and some 'viewers' for Microsoft Office 2007? Or had Works installed but installed Office 2007 and did not fully remove Works? Or just Outlook 2007 and InfoPath 2007 and Microsoft Works? Have you tried downloading the patches manually and ...

Automation Error with Excel Shared Workbooks
Any hints appreciated: We are running a shared Excel (2002/Sp2) Workbook with various VBA functions. Sporadically, by just opening the Workbook with enabled macros and in shared mode, the error message "automation error - catastrophic failure" occurs (happens roughly 1 out of 30 times). Also Excel and VBA debugging hangs in a loop, and must be terminated by the task manager. Once the error happens, it is sticky to the workbook (workaround is: open with disabled macros, remove sharing, store, enable sharing again - but you risk loosing data). Problem is, that we cannot identif...

Lookup Tables: Cascading Updates... Strategy Question
Until now, I have been heavily biased towards lookup tables where every row has an "ID" and a "Name". e.g. For tlkpDealer: DealerID DealerName ------------------- 1 Goldman Sachs 2 Lehman ------------------- Then in, for instance, tblSecurity I would store DealerID and look up the name as needed. Just seemed cleaner: storing a number of determinate length, indexing on same instead of text fields, and so-forth. But now I've begun doing a quick-and-dirty conversion for a user from a rat's nest of spreadsheets to an MS Access back end. The path...

Copying Several Workbooks into one Workbook as Worksheets
I have several Workbooks in a folder. Each Workbook has only one Worksheet. How can I copy all the Workbooks into one Workbook with as many worksheets as there were Workbooks in the folder? Thanks. Try this example http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy3.htm See this example http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy3.htm#sheet -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Blue_Crystal" <Blue_Crystal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DC64A93A-DCDB-4275-8F05-45A5D92F0100@microsoft.com... >I have several Workbooks in a folder. Each Workbook has only one Worksheet. >...

Can't update my own recurring meeting
I have a recurring meeting set up in my calendar. I was the originator of the meeting. Now, however, if I open one of the instances of the meeting, it says 'Organizer: <my name>' and the subject, location, etc. And it's got up in the top corner 'Accept', 'Decline', etc. - as if it was a meeting that was sent to me. So, when I need to change one instance of the meeting, it will only change it on my calendar, and will not send an update to all of the attendees. How can I change this to make it an active meeting that I've created again? Outlook 2003 SP2...

How do I reference another workbook in VB?
Hello, Say I have this command in a sheet's VB code: Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1").Select Now instead of referencing Sheet1 in the current workbook, I want to reference Sheet1 in OtherWorkbook.xls. How can I make this work? Any help would be greatly appreciated! =) -Mike Mike You could do something like this... Dim wbOther as workbook Set wbOther = Workbooks.Open( "C:\YourPath\OtherWorkbook.xls") wbOther.Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1").Select If it's open then just Workbooks("OtherWorkbook").Sheets(...... Will suffice ...

Updates 03-21-10
When i try to install important updates for windows vista says their intalled then when i restart they dont take and i have tried several times now -- Curt Which updates? Curt wrote: > When i try to install important updates for windows vista says their > intalled then when i restart they dont take and i have tried several times > now This problem occurs if the Windows Software distribution folder has been corrupted. You need to find a way to delete this folder so that a new folder is created automatically. The best thing is to start in Safe Mode and do it that...

How to update absolute MDB file paths in Excel worksheet
Dear All, My Excel worksheet contains many queries to a single Access-MDB-file. When I send the worksheet and the database to a colleague in another network Excel can't update the queries any more because it doesn't find the Access file. Obviously Excel stores the links to the Access file as absolute paths (like "X:\something\database.mdb"). How can I change alle the links to the Access file without creating every query again? Is it possible to store relative links to the Access file instead of absolute links? Unfortunately the Edit->Links tools does not work for data...

is it possible to convert excel workbook into a standalone applic.
my business uses a spreadsheet for all its pricing would it be possible for us to convert this to a standalone product or import it as part of a complete business package in access ...

online updating the manual charge
How can I have the downloaded charges override the manual charges? I download from my credit cards or bank, and if there is a difference betwen the amount I entered and the downloaded (which is the accurate one), it keeps the manually entered one. I do not want the name on the charge being overwritten though. Thanks ...

How to force update of Public Folder permissions
Hello, We have a large contacts folder in the Public Folder. I use a Mail enabled security group to manage rights to this group. It always take a day before changes become active. I forced the recipient update service to run, but that doesn't make a difference. Is there a way to force an update of the permissions of the PF permissions? Thank you, Bas Rijnietsve Try using PFDAVAdmin to assign permissions. -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT www.zenprise.com blog: www.suneja.com/blog ----------------------------------------- "Bas Rijniersce" <Bas Rijniersce@discussions.microsof...

want chart to update automatically every month
I would like the chart to update automatically when monthly data i entered. Every 1st of the month I update the data to add new month values. I like the chart to update automatically. And, I want my chart to show only past 12 month period data. It mean every month when I add data in the spreadsheet, the chart shoul automatically drop the the first month values and add last month. S that, chart would present trend line within past 12 months always. Presently, I enter the data in the spreadsheet and then go to th chart, right click and change source data. It's a line chart. Any input i...

Icon image disappearing with Windows Shell vulnerability update
After I installed the Vulnerability in Windows Shell Could Allow Remote Code Execution (2286198) the icon shortcuts show up as blank white icons....? I checked the properties and it is set to display the application icon image. ...

Case 'Actual Duration' not getting updated in SQL
Knowledge Base article 913391: The "Actual Duration" field displays an incorrect value when you view the "Resolve Case" dialog box in Microsoft Dynamics CRM 3.0 This article corrects the time when you resolve a case by adding some script to an onsave event. Here is where it doesnt work: Lets say you go back and change the time from 2 hours to 4 hours on a Service Appointment. The form shows your updated time by running the onsave event but when you resolve the case, you original time displays and not the updated time. I looked in SQL and the ActualDuration and Sc...

Word does not update links automatically
Hello, I have a word document which has many links to excel documents. When I change something in excel document and open word document, word asks me whether to update the document or not. But, it does not update links now. I have to update links one by one manually. I do not know why it does so. How can I solve this problem? Thank you... ...

Wrong Date On Account Update
I am running Money 2004 Version 12.0 update 1. When I download my check book entries & I accept the download for each entry the date is changed from "your entry" in checkbook to "bank entry" That is if I date the check April 1, Money will change that date to the date that it cleared the bank. Is there any way to accept the download but keep the date that the check was written? Under Tools/Options/"On Line Services" tab - remove the check mark from the line that says: "Overwrite transaction date with date from downloaded transactions" Art marv...

This has EVERYTHING to do with the recent microsoft update
I installed the damn thing today and after system reboot my Outlook 2007 lost both the ability to connect to an Exchange server and send/ receive on POP accounts. This is outrageous!!!!!!!!!! I installed 3 updates today:Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1 (KB110806); Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 1 (KB929300); and finally the 2007 Microsoft Office Suite Service Pack 1 (SP1). Now I may be wrong, but this SP1 is probably the one causing the problem. Microsoft, learn to make patches that work and don't ruin things!!!!!!!! ...

Problems while updating W2k3 + Exchange 2k3
Hello, I am experiencing a couple of problems with my windows 2003 and exchange server. I wanted to install the service packs for my windows 2003 and exchange 2003 server and noticed that both of the setups got hung up during the first step. I let the setup run for a couple of hours (>5) in the hope of the problem solving itself. So after forcefully terminating the setup of the service pack I decided to see if everything was working fine, so I tried to stop the exchange server services and noticed that I was not able to do so. I just received an error message saying that the servic...

Locking all a workbook
Is there a way to lock the cells in a workbook so they can't be changed? I have a workbook with about 20 worksheets that I would like to lock before distributing. I can lock the cells, but the only way I have found to do it by going through one sheet at a time and locking the sheet (Very slow). When I try the lock workbook under protection, I am still able to modify the cells afterwards. Secondly, there a few cells on the first worksheet that I would like to allow the user to modify (for what if scenarios). Does anyone have any ideas? -- bundyloco -----------------------------------...

PASSWORD TO OPEN A WORKBOOK
HI, I RECENTLY PASSWORD PROTECTED A WORKBOOK IN WHICH A USER HAS TO ENTER A PASSWORD TO EVEN OPEN IT. HOWEVER, I FORGOT THE PASSWORD. IS THERE ANY WAY AROUND THIS? ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. THANKS JERET SAUER Jeret, Here is a post of resources by Norman Harker: http://www.google.com/groups?threadm=OukvFyJ5CHA.1860%40TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 97 & 2000 ** remove news from my email addres...

sales line detail window-after updating the request Ship Date-also
I am also using manufacturing, when you change the requested ship date, you get a window asking: You can update the In House due date, What is the name of this window in modifer? I would like to modify this form, so the No button is disables, I want to make sure they always click 'yes' How do I find this form in modifer? the form name is just 'Microsoft GP Dynamics' thanks -- Doug ...

how do I recover charts within an excel workbook?
The workbook had many charts that were previously visible. Now, upon opening the file, the charts are no longer visible. How to I reactivate them to appear? thanks ...

exchange 2003 +recepient update services
Hi i have this issue for months now. I have win2k AD network with exchange 2003. My pdc went down, but before it went down i managed to transfer all the FSO roles to my secondary domain controller successful. All seemed well, but then when i access exchage system manager to create a mailbox for a new user it gets up to 60% on the task but then throws up an error message of : <?xml version="1.0" encoding="unicode" ?> - <taskWizardRun taskName="Create Mailbox" dcName="DC2" buildNumber="6944" runningAs="Administrator@domain....

Open a workbook also opens "Book1.xls"
Hi all, I wonder if it is possible to stop Excel from opening a copy of "Book1.xls" everytime a workbook is opened. (I.e. I just want to open the required workbook, not simultaneously open a copy of "Book1.xls" as well). Thanks, Oscar Not sure what you mean. When I double-click on an XLS file in Windows Explorer, book1 doesn't open, only the requested workbook. If you want to start Excel without opening a workbook, try the /E switch. For example: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE" /e HTH, JP On Mar 18, 1:13=A0pm, Oscar W <...

Problems Updating Exchange 5.5
Exchange 5.5 SP4 will not allow update rollup for Exchange server 5.5 to be installed. The error is "This system does not have version number 2653. Instead, the version reported is 1960." Exchange admin shows the version to be 2653.23. Store.exe is version 2653.23. Why would the update rollup think we have a pre-service pack 1 version of Exchange? Any Ideas? On 30 Apr 2007 04:07:27 -0700, fjleiter@gmail.com wrote: >Exchange 5.5 SP4 will not allow update rollup for Exchange server 5.5 >to be installed. The error is "This system does not have version >number 2653. I...