update worksheet in one file with worksheet in another file

I want to have one worksheet in one of my excel files (file 1) to
reflect the contents of a worksheet in another file (file 2) every
time it is opened (file 1), that is, everytime it is opened this one
tab should reflect the last changes made on the tab in another file,
including formating. I suspect this is possible but I don't have a
clue how to do it. I have a few questions:

Can this be done without VBA? (I'm not even a beginner with VBA!)

I did search the web some and found the following that looks
interesting:

http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.html?forumID=101&threadID=215162&messageID=2195715

Is this a starting point I could work with? Will this method described
above copy the formats?

Thanks for any suggestions!

John Keith
kd0gd@juno.com
0
kd0gd (97)
5/14/2007 3:30:25 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

How about just opening the second workbook, copying that worksheet to the
workbook that you want, then closing that second workbook.

The could would look something like:

Option Explicit
Sub auto_open()

    Dim wkbkName As String
    Dim wksName As String
    Dim testStr As String
    Dim wkbk As Workbook
    Dim wks As Worksheet

    wkbkName = "C:\my documents\excel\book1.xls"
    wksName = "Sheet133"

    testStr = ""
    On Error Resume Next
    testStr = Dir(wkbkName)
    On Error GoTo 0

    If testStr = "" Then
        MsgBox wkbkName & vbLf & "is not available"
        Exit Sub
    End If

    Set wkbk = Workbooks.Open(Filename:=wkbkName)

    Set wks = Nothing
    On Error Resume Next
    Set wks = wkbk.Worksheets(wksName)
    On Error GoTo 0

    If wks Is Nothing Then
        wkbk.Close savechanges:=False
        MsgBox wksName & vbLf & "isn't in" & wkbkName
        Exit Sub
    End If

    On Error Resume Next
    Application.DisplayAlerts = False
    ThisWorkbook.Worksheets(wksName).Delete
    Application.DisplayAlerts = True
    On Error GoTo 0

    wks.Copy _
        before:=ThisWorkbook.Worksheets(1)

    wkbk.Close savechanges:=False

End Sub

--

Dave Peterson
0

I appreciate expertise in  replying to my inquiry, thanks.

Years ago I actually did some coding so I'm just dangerous enough to
get a flavor of what you are suggesting be done in what you provided
below. Man, I wish I could sit down and talk with you! Let me ask a
few questions and make some statements about your code:

I see a statement "on error go to 0" but I don't understand what "0"
refers to?

Likewise, "on error resume next", what "next" is this referring to, I
don't see any next statements in the code?

There is a lot of error checking that I think could be removed since I
know the file exists and where it is found.

Would this macro have to be run after the spreadsheet is opened or
does the action take place each time the file is opened? (see, I'm
really ignorant of how these things work!)

I have seen the getsarted link before and maybe I need to try and work
through it sometime!

On Mon, 14 May 2007 06:53:40 -0500, Dave Peterson
<petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote:

>How about just opening the second workbook, copying that worksheet to the
>workbook that you want, then closing that second workbook.
>
>The could would look something like:
>
>Option Explicit
>Sub auto_open()
>
>    Dim wkbkName As String
>    Dim wksName As String
>    Dim testStr As String
>    Dim wkbk As Workbook
>    Dim wks As Worksheet
>
>    wkbkName = "C:\my documents\excel\book1.xls"
>    wksName = "Sheet133"
>
>    testStr = ""
>    On Error Resume Next
>    testStr = Dir(wkbkName)
>    On Error GoTo 0
>
>    If testStr = "" Then
>        MsgBox wkbkName & vbLf & "is not available"
>        Exit Sub
>    End If
>
>    Set wkbk = Workbooks.Open(Filename:=wkbkName)
>
>    Set wks = Nothing
>    On Error Resume Next
>    Set wks = wkbk.Worksheets(wksName)
>    On Error GoTo 0
>
>    If wks Is Nothing Then
>        wkbk.Close savechanges:=False
>        MsgBox wksName & vbLf & "isn't in" & wkbkName
>        Exit Sub
>    End If
>
>    On Error Resume Next
>    Application.DisplayAlerts = False
>    ThisWorkbook.Worksheets(wksName).Delete
>    Application.DisplayAlerts = True
>    On Error GoTo 0
>
>    wks.Copy _
>        before:=ThisWorkbook.Worksheets(1)
>
>    wkbk.Close savechanges:=False
>
>End Sub
>
>If you're new to macros, you may want to read David McRitchie's intro at:
>http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm
>

>John Keith wrote:
>>
>> I want to have one worksheet in one of my excel files (file 1) to
>> reflect the contents of a worksheet in another file (file 2) every
>> time it is opened (file 1), that is, everytime it is opened this one
>> tab should reflect the last changes made on the tab in another file,
>> including formating. I suspect this is possible but I don't have a
>> clue how to do it. I have a few questions:
>>
>> Can this be done without VBA? (I'm not even a beginner with VBA!)
>>
>> I did search the web some and found the following that looks
>> interesting:
>>
>> http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.html?forumID=101&threadID=215162&messageID=2195715
>>
>> Is this a starting point I could work with? Will this method described
>> above copy the formats?
>>
>> Thanks for any suggestions!
>>
>> John Keith
>> kd0gd@juno.com

John Keith
kd0gd@juno.com
0
kd0gd (97)
5/15/2007 5:10:40 AM
There are things that can cause your code to break.

Trying to open a file that doesn't exist is one of those.

> >    testStr = ""
> >    On Error Resume Next
> >    testStr = Dir(wkbkName)
> >    On Error GoTo 0

"On Error Resume Next" tells excel's VBA to ignore any error that it sees.  That
I as the programmer expect that an error may (not will, just may) occur.

Then I do the check (Dir()).

Then the "on Error goto 0" tells excell to go back checking for errors.  I don't
expect any more in the code (famous last words!).  If an error is found, excel's
VBA will do what it wants--pop up an ugly, irritating error.

There are only a couple of checks in the code.  You could remove them if you
wanted.  You'd probably end up saving a second over the next year!  I wouldn't
remove them.

And by calling the procedure Auto_Open and placing it into a General module, the
code will run each time you open the workbook (well, if you allow macros to
run).

It couldn't hurt to skim David McRitchie's getstarted page--maybe bookmark it
and come back later when you have more time.

--

Dave Peterson
0
<petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote:

>There are things that can cause your code to break.

Dave,

Thank you very much for taking the time to explain the items I
questioned in my previous post. For years I've wanted to learn VBA,
maybe this challenge will get me started. As good as the excel news
groups are I still wish I had a local mentor  :-(

PS - I think I have a good book, Pure Visual Basic by Dan Fox, but
every book I've seen assumes a level of understanding that I don't
think I'm at.
John Keith
kd0gd@juno.com
0
kd0gd (97)
5/17/2007 3:13:19 AM
I don't own Dan Fox's book, but I have a nice "get started" book from John
Walkenbach.
http://j-walk.com/ss/books/xlbook25.htm

(Actually, I have an earlier version)

Debra Dalgleish has a list of books at her site:
http://www.contextures.com/xlbooks.html

You may want to check your local bookstore/internet site and you can see if any
are worth adding to your library.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Search file and within the file
Hi, I have several files in a folder most of them are CVs in word format, I want to create a query or access program to get the subject with some criteria - any ideas? If I search for a particular Text, that should check and matching file name and also inside the word file. I tried google desktop search, coppernic search and even the MS Search - but nothing helped in a way I want. I appreciate your valuable time. Rgds Anver, To develop a bespoke Access application will take much effort and involve using Windows APIs. I suggest you don't want to do this. Instead consider upgrad...

Excel file size reduction
Can anyone tell me, how can a file size be reduced. For one possible problem (and solution) see http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#Unused -- Regards, Tushar Mehta, MS MVP -- Excel www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity solutions In article <fb5801c3f1c5$04b46b50$a601280a@phx.gbl>, anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com says... > Can anyone tell me, how can a file size be reduced. > > "Stacie Pierson" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<fb5801c3f1c5$04b46b50$a601280...

How do I open .dbx files saved from my computer in outlook
I have a number of .dbx files I saved on an external hard drive just before my computer died. How do I open them on my new computer. It has Vista and office outlook 2007 You need to use Windows Mail and make the folders available there (import from identity - Outlook Express) , before in WM exporting msgs to Exchange (Outlook) "colinswood" <colinswood@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BD7FEA1C-813C-4DD0-8C22-860B2AABCE9E@microsoft.com... >I have a number of .dbx files I saved on an external hard drive just before > my computer died. How do ...

windows updates installation fails
Hello there, I am using XP Pro sp3, I just installed it and when running the windows updates from IE I am able to download the updates bu then the installation fails. How can I delete all downloads and reset the windows client update settings? Thank you, T Which is the update(s) failing to install? Further information required: How to view the Update log in Windows Click Start, and then click Run. In the Open box, type %windir%\windowsupdate.log and then click OK. Scroll down towards the bottom for the latest entries to locate the error code(s) associated with the ...

SENDOBJECT
I'm using the SendObject to programatically send emails , which is working great. I recently got a request from management to send email on behalf of another user, say sales@anycompany.com I know how to do this from within Outlook using the Delegate option in Exchange, The question is: How do I send email using the FROM option that outlook uses in the SendObject ? I would appreciate any information or workaround. thank you. LA lalexander wrote: > I'm using the SendObject to programatically send emails , which is > working great. > > I ...

Updating a DATE, only if the page has been modified.
I have a spreadsheet with a cell containing: ="Print Date: "&Text(TODAY(),"mmm-dd-yyyy") I want to add another cell that reflects the date of the last time the sheet was modified/changed. So the logic would be somthing like: IF (Sheet-Changed, Current-Date, Previous-Date) Can any one point me in the right direction? Thank you That requires custom VBA code. If you want help with that just let us know. -- HTH... Jim Thomlinson "Michael" wrote: > I have a spreadsheet with a cell containing: > ="Print Date: "&...

EXCEL 97
Hi there! Ive created a linked spreadsheet in 2003 and am unable to open in 97. The error msg i get is "unable to open - insufficient memory". Any clues how i can get around this little dilema??? Thanks in advance! ...

Unicode Problems In Resource Files
Hi, I have the following unicode russian string in an excel document ????????? ???? ???????T when i paste it into the string table in the resource editor it comes out as follows Нас�,�?ойка иг�?�< �"а�?�"илд�"� why is this could someone help i am toatally at a deadend with this. Regards Adrian, >I have the following unicode russian string in an excel document >????????? ???? ???????T >when i paste it into the string table in the resource editor it comes out as >follows >�?а�?�,�?ойка иг�?�< �"а�?�"илд�"� Adrian, I believe the c...

Message Tracking XML File
Hello: Is there any utility out there that can read the XML file saved from the Message Tracking Center, and present it in an easily readable format? MS explains the XML schema at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms987640(EXCHG.65).aspx but doesn't offer a program to do anything. I found http://theessentialexchange.com/blogs/michael/archive/2007/11/13/more-exchange-message-tracking.aspx, which looks like it'll take the raw log files themselves and convert them into XML, which isn't what I need. Thank you. -- Regards, M MCTS, MCSA Nevermind....

The value become wrong when get value by using AppleScript while other worksheet is active.
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I just want to send a bug report. Summary: The value become wrong when get value by using AppleScript while other worksheet is active. Description: 1. Create an AppleScript file with below script. tell application "Microsoft Excel" activate set OriginalWorkbook to workbook "Workbook1" set OriginalData to string value of column 1 of row 1 of worksheet 1 of OriginalWorkbook end tell 2. Launch Excel 2008 and create a Workbook called "Workbook1". 3. Enter time data "11...

Counting specific test in a column in another worksheet that fall between entered dates
Hi, I'm trying to count the amount of times a txt string appears associated with a date on a different worksheet between two separately entered dates on the sheet were the calculation is being performed. Im using this formula but it only returns the 'value if false' even-though the logical test result is true i.e Derbyshire has been entered into the sheet on the 09/09/09 : =IF(('Tests 1'!$D:$D="Derbyshire"),(COUNTIF('Tests 1'!A:A,">="&$N$22)-COUNTIF('Tests 1'!A:A,">"&$O$22)),"") Thanks for any in...

Need to separate multiple numbers in one cell
I have multiple number in one cell and i need to somehow put each number into one separate cell for each number: I have : column A row1 2 5 8 10 I want: column B column C column D column E row1 2 5 8 10 How do I do it on Excel 2007? thanks EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice Map Stored Procedure Output To Class Properties http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/2853a1aa-5db7-40d0-9cde-46847fa770ef/map-stored-procedure-outp.aspx Hi, Use Data > Text to columns and specify the delimiter as space ...

Cash Drawer locked by another application
Hi everyone, I have a MMF cash drawer connected to an Epson TM-T88IV running on RMS 2.0. I've configured the OPOS for both the cash drawer and the receipt printer. Receipt printer works fine, but I can't open the cash drawer. I'm getting error 913: application is locked by another application. Could someone shed some light on how to resolve this issue? Thank you. We've had similar experience ... try powering off everything (PC included) and powering back on. This should kill the application that has locked the drawer. "MB" wrote: > Hi everyone, > ...

All-In-One Outlook View
I was suprised not to see a view in Outlook where I can see - email, calander and tasks. I can create just about what I need, however, I thought I had seen third party software that can show you everthing on one view ( screen) Ron ...

Another Edit Question
I have a form where, at first glance, only 1 field in automatically editable.. What I want is a button that releases all fields to editable mode. If anyone can help I sure appreciate it. Thanks in Advance! What I typically do is to use the controls' TAG property to be able to identify in code those fields I want to lock. I use something like LOCK in that tag and put that in the tag of each control I want to be able to lock and unlock. Then I use this to lock them (usually on the form's On Current event so it starts off locked): Dim ctl As Control For Each ctl In Me.Contro...

open my back up files
sir, my user id by mistakely delete. so my outlook back up file how i can open it? its not open. iam already create new id and outlook mail . so my old back up file any chance to open. reply me .thanks, minoori13@hotmail.com File > Open > browse to the location of your PST file. -- Kathleen Orland Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ http://www.howto-outlook.com/ "mohammed iqbal" wrote: > sir, > my user id by mistakely delete. so my outlook back up file how i can open it? > its not open. iam already create new id and outlook mail . so my old back up...

Large Files
I have created a design in Publisher 2002, A3 size with TIFF images inserted. The Publisher file size is a hefty 8Mb due to the image sizes. The reason I used TIFF's is because I can't figure out how to create JPEG images with transparent backgrounds using MS Digital Image Pro 7. The Publisher file displays and prints O.K. but when converted to a PDF the images are distorted or missing. I have tried many different PDF creators without success. Can't figure out if it is the TIFF's or the size of the Publisher file that is the problem. Please help. ..png (Portable Net...

Shifting my Office SB 2007 MLK OEM Software on another computer
Hello, I have MS Office SB 2007 with Office Professional 2007 Trail With MLK OEM Software License. I want to format that PC because I have some OS issue. How can I De-Active that license? can I use that License key after format that PC? Thanks & Regards, Hitesh Prajapati "Hitehs Prajapati" <Hitehs Prajapati@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0133EC1A-50F6-43CD-986A-71AD8E0320FB@microsoft.com... > Hello, > > I have MS Office SB 2007 with Office Professional 2007 Trail With MLK OEM > Software License. > > I want...

open a file listed in my db
I an starting a data base to keep up with the different files I would like to be able to double click on the file name and open it I would like to double click on an excel vile name listed in the access db and have it open How would I go about this? gary, Take a look in Access help. Look for "followhyperlink" HTH Dale -- Email address is not valid. Please reply to newsgroup only. "Gary." wrote: > I an starting a data base to keep up with the different files > > I would like to be able to double click on the file name and open it > > I would like...

using data from another cell
I would like to type a name in one cell(1) then check in list (different column) if the same name is there, and if it is there get a value of another cell locate in the same row where. Can some one help me? Create your second list and use VLOOKUP as follows: Name is typed in: A1 List of names and values in: C1:D10 =VLOOKUP(A1,$C$1:$D$10,2,FALSE) "leo" <reani1996@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OiO5fCTWDHA.2268@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > I would like to type a name in one cell(1) then check in list (different > column) if the same name is there, and if it is t...

How do you import a pdf file into Microsoft publisher 2003
I'm doing my kid's school directory. I have ads thathave been submitted as pdf files. How do I place those files on my pages. Microsoft doesn't give me the answer; neither does adobe. A small child turns to Ed, and exclaims: "Look! Look! A post from rbpublisher <rbpublisher@discussions.microsoft.com>!"... > I'm doing my kid's school directory. I have ads thathave been > submitted as pdf files. How do I place those files on my pages. > Microsoft doesn't give me the answer; neither does adobe. You need to convert the PDF files to graphics suc...

XSD One Multiple element question
Hi, I am trying to define a Key element for a vehicle schema. I have three ways to uniquely identify a vehicle such as URN, UnitID and Vin. I'd like to make a rule that ensures that at least one of the three is present, but 2 or all 3 can be present. I tried something like below, but it does not seem valid. Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone may be able to provide. Portion of schema is posted below. Hopefully it gives some idea as to what I am trying to accomplish. Best regards, Victor <xs:complexType name="VehKeyType"> <xs:choice> <xs:seq...

Converting excel files to doc files
Is it possible to convert an excel file over to doc format? Alvin, You can open an Excel file with Word, then save it. Word saves as doc files (if that's what you mean). Be sure to type the doc extension, or Word will overwrite your original xls file. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "Alvin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0c2501c4316d$5e715b20$3a01280a@phx.gbl... > Is it possible to convert an excel file over to doc format? Dear Earl, Not good... My excel file...

How can I remove the previous lock cells and keep the new ones.
Could you please help me?... I locked and protected the cells A1:H20 in the sheet 1 two months ago. However, yesterday I wanted to unlock and unprotect these cells and locked and protected the cells A21:H40 instead. However, for some reason the cells A1:H20 are still lock and protect. How can I remove the previous lock cells (A1:H20) and keep the new cells (A21`:H40) only. Thanks. Maperalia In EXCEL 2007 take the following actions to unlock cells A1 to H20:- 1. Home / Cells group / Format / Unprotect Sheet / enter the password to Unprotect Sheet / OK / highlight cells A1 t...

cannot open file extension.xls
FRX file saved through Excel 2007 with extension .xls cannot be open on 2003 office version attached through email. Help! This discussion group relate to Microsoft Access, have you looked at Victoria's reply to your post in Frx related discssion group http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.frx&mid=2f31afba-cb44-4a90-b25c-188d9cfd7c2e -- Good Luck BS"D "ctart" wrote: > FRX file saved through Excel 2007 with extension .xls cannot be open on 2003 > office version attached through email. Help! ...