update worksheet in one file with worksheet in another file

I want to have one worksheet in one of my excel files (file 1) to
reflect the contents of a worksheet in another file (file 2) every
time it is opened (file 1), that is, everytime it is opened this one
tab should reflect the last changes made on the tab in another file,
including formating. I suspect this is possible but I don't have a
clue how to do it. I have a few questions:

Can this be done without VBA? (I'm not even a beginner with VBA!)

I did search the web some and found the following that looks
interesting:

http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.html?forumID=101&threadID=215162&messageID=2195715

Is this a starting point I could work with? Will this method described
above copy the formats?

Thanks for any suggestions!

John Keith
kd0gd@juno.com
0
kd0gd (97)
5/14/2007 3:30:25 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

How about just opening the second workbook, copying that worksheet to the
workbook that you want, then closing that second workbook.

The could would look something like:

Option Explicit
Sub auto_open()

    Dim wkbkName As String
    Dim wksName As String
    Dim testStr As String
    Dim wkbk As Workbook
    Dim wks As Worksheet

    wkbkName = "C:\my documents\excel\book1.xls"
    wksName = "Sheet133"

    testStr = ""
    On Error Resume Next
    testStr = Dir(wkbkName)
    On Error GoTo 0

    If testStr = "" Then
        MsgBox wkbkName & vbLf & "is not available"
        Exit Sub
    End If

    Set wkbk = Workbooks.Open(Filename:=wkbkName)

    Set wks = Nothing
    On Error Resume Next
    Set wks = wkbk.Worksheets(wksName)
    On Error GoTo 0

    If wks Is Nothing Then
        wkbk.Close savechanges:=False
        MsgBox wksName & vbLf & "isn't in" & wkbkName
        Exit Sub
    End If

    On Error Resume Next
    Application.DisplayAlerts = False
    ThisWorkbook.Worksheets(wksName).Delete
    Application.DisplayAlerts = True
    On Error GoTo 0

    wks.Copy _
        before:=ThisWorkbook.Worksheets(1)

    wkbk.Close savechanges:=False

End Sub

--

Dave Peterson
0

I appreciate expertise in  replying to my inquiry, thanks.

Years ago I actually did some coding so I'm just dangerous enough to
get a flavor of what you are suggesting be done in what you provided
below. Man, I wish I could sit down and talk with you! Let me ask a
few questions and make some statements about your code:

I see a statement "on error go to 0" but I don't understand what "0"
refers to?

Likewise, "on error resume next", what "next" is this referring to, I
don't see any next statements in the code?

There is a lot of error checking that I think could be removed since I
know the file exists and where it is found.

Would this macro have to be run after the spreadsheet is opened or
does the action take place each time the file is opened? (see, I'm
really ignorant of how these things work!)

I have seen the getsarted link before and maybe I need to try and work
through it sometime!

On Mon, 14 May 2007 06:53:40 -0500, Dave Peterson
<petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote:

>How about just opening the second workbook, copying that worksheet to the
>workbook that you want, then closing that second workbook.
>
>The could would look something like:
>
>Option Explicit
>Sub auto_open()
>
>    Dim wkbkName As String
>    Dim wksName As String
>    Dim testStr As String
>    Dim wkbk As Workbook
>    Dim wks As Worksheet
>
>    wkbkName = "C:\my documents\excel\book1.xls"
>    wksName = "Sheet133"
>
>    testStr = ""
>    On Error Resume Next
>    testStr = Dir(wkbkName)
>    On Error GoTo 0
>
>    If testStr = "" Then
>        MsgBox wkbkName & vbLf & "is not available"
>        Exit Sub
>    End If
>
>    Set wkbk = Workbooks.Open(Filename:=wkbkName)
>
>    Set wks = Nothing
>    On Error Resume Next
>    Set wks = wkbk.Worksheets(wksName)
>    On Error GoTo 0
>
>    If wks Is Nothing Then
>        wkbk.Close savechanges:=False
>        MsgBox wksName & vbLf & "isn't in" & wkbkName
>        Exit Sub
>    End If
>
>    On Error Resume Next
>    Application.DisplayAlerts = False
>    ThisWorkbook.Worksheets(wksName).Delete
>    Application.DisplayAlerts = True
>    On Error GoTo 0
>
>    wks.Copy _
>        before:=ThisWorkbook.Worksheets(1)
>
>    wkbk.Close savechanges:=False
>
>End Sub
>
>If you're new to macros, you may want to read David McRitchie's intro at:
>http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm
>

>John Keith wrote:
>>
>> I want to have one worksheet in one of my excel files (file 1) to
>> reflect the contents of a worksheet in another file (file 2) every
>> time it is opened (file 1), that is, everytime it is opened this one
>> tab should reflect the last changes made on the tab in another file,
>> including formating. I suspect this is possible but I don't have a
>> clue how to do it. I have a few questions:
>>
>> Can this be done without VBA? (I'm not even a beginner with VBA!)
>>
>> I did search the web some and found the following that looks
>> interesting:
>>
>> http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.html?forumID=101&threadID=215162&messageID=2195715
>>
>> Is this a starting point I could work with? Will this method described
>> above copy the formats?
>>
>> Thanks for any suggestions!
>>
>> John Keith
>> kd0gd@juno.com

John Keith
kd0gd@juno.com
0
kd0gd (97)
5/15/2007 5:10:40 AM
There are things that can cause your code to break.

Trying to open a file that doesn't exist is one of those.

> >    testStr = ""
> >    On Error Resume Next
> >    testStr = Dir(wkbkName)
> >    On Error GoTo 0

"On Error Resume Next" tells excel's VBA to ignore any error that it sees.  That
I as the programmer expect that an error may (not will, just may) occur.

Then I do the check (Dir()).

Then the "on Error goto 0" tells excell to go back checking for errors.  I don't
expect any more in the code (famous last words!).  If an error is found, excel's
VBA will do what it wants--pop up an ugly, irritating error.

There are only a couple of checks in the code.  You could remove them if you
wanted.  You'd probably end up saving a second over the next year!  I wouldn't
remove them.

And by calling the procedure Auto_Open and placing it into a General module, the
code will run each time you open the workbook (well, if you allow macros to
run).

It couldn't hurt to skim David McRitchie's getstarted page--maybe bookmark it
and come back later when you have more time.

--

Dave Peterson
0
<petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote:

>There are things that can cause your code to break.

Dave,

Thank you very much for taking the time to explain the items I
questioned in my previous post. For years I've wanted to learn VBA,
maybe this challenge will get me started. As good as the excel news
groups are I still wish I had a local mentor  :-(

PS - I think I have a good book, Pure Visual Basic by Dan Fox, but
every book I've seen assumes a level of understanding that I don't
think I'm at.
John Keith
kd0gd@juno.com
0
kd0gd (97)
5/17/2007 3:13:19 AM
I don't own Dan Fox's book, but I have a nice "get started" book from John
Walkenbach.
http://j-walk.com/ss/books/xlbook25.htm

(Actually, I have an earlier version)

Debra Dalgleish has a list of books at her site:
http://www.contextures.com/xlbooks.html

You may want to check your local bookstore/internet site and you can see if any
are worth adding to your library.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Hyperlink has changed on file re-opening
[Excel 2002, Win XP Pro] Hi All, i have cells in a sheet whose cell contents are hyperlinked to wor documents. the hyperlink is generated using VBA. part of the fil name includes the '[' and ']' characters (square brackets) when the macro is run, everything works fine (click in one of the cell and the appropriate word file opens) BUT when the workbook is closed an re-opened, the '[' & ']' is changed to '%5b' and '%5d' respectivel (which i guess is some srt of charatcer code for those symbols) if the hyperlink macro is re-run, it 're...

can't access one column
Hi, A friend of mine works for an electric company and they sent him an excel file that is used for maintenance scheduling. He is unable to access one column and is frustrated, etc. So he emailed me the file. I can access it. He put it on a floppy and tried it on a co-workers computer, and she could access it. So I saved it as an excel 98 file and sent it back thinking an older version might work, but it didn't. By not being able to access the column I mean, when he clicks on a cell nothing happens for him, when I click on the cell the courser appears and I can enter data. TIA f...

how do I create qif files from Excel for import into Quicken?
Want to import a bunch of financial data that's in Excel into Quicken. Can I create a QIF file from Excel? You'll need a converter utility for this. Here's a google search that might help: http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2004-31,GGLD:en&q=convert+excel+to+quicken tj "pb" wrote: > Want to import a bunch of financial data that's in Excel into Quicken. > Can I create a QIF file from Excel? Hi *pb*, See if http://xl2qif.chez.tiscali.fr/xl2qif_en.php suits your purpose. Don't forget to back up the folde...

Updating/keeping account names
Don't know if I can explain this better, but when updating, how do I keep the same vendor/description name. For example, today, when updating, I had an ATM withdrawel of $50 listed. Instead of that showing reconciled, it took the same amount of $50 that regulary gets taken out from my bank and showed that to be reconciled instead. ...

Dynamic Table Should Always Maintain Borders When Data Is Updated
Dynamic Table Should Always Maintain Borders An Alignment When Data Is Updated Included in the Cases in Which The Updated Cells Were Previously Formatted And Customized By The User ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/communi...

Office X 10.1.6 Update: Fonts missing?
> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3182711903_8674241 Content-type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit After updating to 10.1.6, some fonts are missing (KidPrint, Lucida handwriting, etc.) Any ideas? --B_3182711903_8674241 Content-type: text/html; charset="US-ASCII" Content-transfer-encoding: quoted-printable <HTML> <HEAD> <TITLE>Office X 10.1.6 Update: Fonts missing?</TITLE> </HEAD> <BODY> <FON...

Updating PO Line Qtys should not remove existing AA with 100% Assi
Assuming AA is setup and you have at least 1 Dimension linked to an Account, and that Dimension has a Dimension Code attached. 1. Go into PO Entry 2. Enter a line item 3. Go into Purchasing Item Detail entry and make sure your Inventory Account is an account linked to your AA Class and therefore Dimension. 4. Enter AA information against this account on the PO - using the default of 100% Assignment. 5. Return back to the PO Entry window. 6. Change the Qty on the PO Line to be 1 greater (or less). Press tab to move off the field. Actual Result: The already assigned AA data for that line...

Contacts File Link?
I have several computers on a home network and WLM does a fine job of keeping the contacts in sync on all the computer. I am giving one of the systems to a friend. What is the best way to un-sync the contacts file on the system that I am giving away so they can have there own contacts file? Uninstall WL and reinstall with a new WL ID or Passport? Create a new Windows user. Remove the old user. -- Ron Sommer MS MVP- Windows Live Mail "Ken" <krlorenz@comcast.net> wrote in message news:2099F8C5-9BCE-4229-A3D2-5187C1F4FFF9@microsoft.com... > I have several...

Export to Text Files Based on Field Value
I have an Access table with personal information (e.g., first name, last name, birth date, etc.) for thousands of people. The table is sorted by state. I want to be able to run a macro on that table that will create separate pipe delimited text files for each state with all fields included. Any help would be appreciated? -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-queries/201005/1 Instead of exporting the table, export a query based on the table. You will have to have some code that loops through the states and modifies the quer...

merging 3 spreadsheets into one based upon a single common data field
OK I hope you guys can help me out. Here is the scenario. I have 3 spreadsheets. The main spreadsheet I working with has 500 lines with a unique number string. The next two spreadsheets have about 12000 lines but also contain the same unique string as the first spreadsheet. I want to search the 2nd and 3rd spreadsheet using the first spreadsheets unique id number and then take the information from the 2nd and 3rd spreadsheet and then merge it into the first. Does that make since? Any help would be great. -- xchosen --------------------------------------------------------------------...

insert worksheet #2
The default for inserting a new worksheet is to the left. Is there a way to have worksheets inserted to the right? Hi Sue in VBA you could use the following macro: sub insert_after() ActiveWorkbook.Sheets.Add After:=ActiveSheet end sub you may apply a button to this macro. -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Sue wrote: > The default for inserting a new worksheet is to the left. > Is there a way to have worksheets inserted to the right? put this macro in your personal.xls file and attach it to a keyboard shortcut or toolbar button. Public Sub InsertSheetToRight() ...

How to import Eudora files into Outlook
I've searched the forum, and everyone seems to have already been able to bring their old Eudora files into Outlook. I am now trying to do this but cannot figure out how. I'm not even sure exactly where to find my Eudora files, much less get them over to Outlook 2007. Can someone help me here. My hard drive crashed last Friday and I have rebuilt a new one except for my email program. I have been using Thunderbird temporarily, but I really don't like it. My Eudora files are saved to a hard drive and Thunderbird imported them with no problem. But I can't for the life of me figur...

Shortcut to go to previous worksheet
What is the shortcut key to goto previous WorkSheet? Ctrl+PageUp -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "PrakashKC" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F687C986-649D-4EE6-991D-F8332A573D9F@microsoft.com... > What is the shortcut key to goto previous WorkSheet? Ctrl+PgUp "PrakashKC" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F687C986-649D-4EE6-991D-F8332A573D9F@microsoft.com... > What is the shortcut key to goto previous WorkSheet? > What is ...

Is there a way to extract files from the Off line files cache
I have a laptop that used to be a member of a SBS 2003 domain and was utilizing folder redirection of My Documents. The laptop was never reconfigured to remove it from the domain and the user continued to use the domain login. Since that time (about a year ago), the computer and user were removed from the SBS domain. So far so good, the user on the laptop was happy.. Today, the laptop was worked on and was removed from the domain. Now, the question is, where are the files that used to be in My documents? I beleive they are cached in the Offline files folder (C:\wind...

moving large amounts of data from one db to another
I have a table that has millions of rows of data in it, which then references another table with millions of referenced (matching by foreign key constraints)... I need to move this data from database A to a new database B, is there any way to do this and preserve the identity columns and their referential integrity?) Thanks! You can't have integrated RI across databases so that part is out. But you can certainly insert and keep the identities. Take a look at SET IDENTITY INSERT in BOL. -- Andrew J. Kelly SQL MVP Solid Quality Mentors "Smokey Grindel"...

File Stuck In Outbox
I have a 6 MB file that can not be sent or deleted from my inbox. I followed the "Assistance" suggestions on the MS web site but had no luck. Any idea? http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/recover_deleted.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Join OneNote Tips mailing list: http://www.onenote-tips.net/...

How to delete a .mny file...
I'm new to Money 2003. I imported Quicken 2002 data, and for some reason, one or two accounts did not completely transfer. I repeated the import and opened a new Money file (with a new name.) This time it went smoothly. Simple question: can I just delete the old Money file I first created? Is it as simple as going to "my computer" and deleting the appropriate .mny file? Thanks for any response. EL In microsoft.public.money, EL wrote: >I'm new to Money 2003. I imported Quicken 2002 data, and >for some reason, one or two accounts did not completely >...

VBA Worksheet Event Change or Selection Question, please assist me
Two fantastic people were kind enough to provide me these two codes below, and now I'm trying to see if I can expand it to include other columns and data in a worksheet. Code 1: Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Dim myC As Range If Intersect(Target, Range("P:P")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub Application.EnableEvents =3D False For Each myC In Intersect(Target, Range("P:P")) Range("Q" & myC.Row).Value =3D Date - Target.Value Next myC Application.EnableEvents =3D True End Sub Code 2: Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Tar...

Pulling data from multiple worksheets
I have one worksheet with a listing of client numbers and names. I would like to be able to type in a client number on another worksheet and have the client name automatically populate. Look at the Vlookup function or the combination of Index / Match. Vlookup will be a little more straight forward for a first timer but Index / Match is generally speaking a more flexible and less error prone solution. -- HTH... Jim Thomlinson "parthur" wrote: > I have one worksheet with a listing of client numbers and names. I would > like to be able to type in a clie...

Help with an expression to calculate a profit from one of three fi
Using Access 2003 SP3 - in Forms I know I'm probably asking a very complex question, so a very big THANK YOU to whomever can help. I am doing a detailed inventory and need help with an expression in my form that will calculate my profit based on one of three fields. Only one field would have the end data. To clarify what I am working with: Most stock items come by the "unit" and contain multiple "subunits" which, in turn, contain smaller "pieces." However, some "units" only come with "subunits" and some only come as &quo...

Simple update Query
Hi, I'm sure I've done this in the past but can't figure how. I have 2 tables "A" and "B" both with the following fields Town; Council I want to update Table "A"'s Council field with the Council information in table "B" Could someone please give me the SQL code to do this. Thanks in advance UPDATE TableA INNER JOIN TableB ON TableA.Town = TableB.Town SET TableA.Council = TableB.Council. IF you can only do this using design view -- Open a new query -- Select the two tables -- Set up a join by dragging from town to town -- add the Cou...

Restoring Public folders to another server
We have a server that has crashed and AD is all up the wop. It was our exchange server (Exchange 2000). We have a new server in place but we can't restore our public folders from backup (Veritas 9.1). Is there a way to restore public folders to a different server or do we have to rebuild the server with all the same names etc.....? In advance thankyou for the help. -- Network Consultant a full recovery server is your only option, unless you go with a 3rd party tool... "pete" <pete@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0DCA3555-EA66-4BCC-AB7C-59896AB02...

convert or open .pub file
I have recieved a file with a .pub extention. I do not have publisher, any ideas on how to open it, and readers that I can download. No trial is offered for this program to download? I tried acrobat distiller (microsoft said it would work) but it dosent work thank corey corey wrote: > I have recieved a file with a .pub extention. I > do not have publisher, any ideas on how to > open it, and readers that I can download. ================================= Best bet would be open it in the Publisher version that created it. There are no Publisher viewers. Here's some info you ma...

Can I calculate a field with 2 different filter criteria in one q
Hi, I have a data source table with a customer name field and various metrics fields, I'd like to sum metric "a" based on customer name being like "abc" and another sum of metric "a" where the customer name is NOT LIKE "abc" in one query, but I can't seem to figure this out, but, I'm a novice at this. Best I can figure is 2 different queries, then a 3rd query to bring the two together. Thanks -- Jim jimd wrote: >Hi, I have a data source table with a customer name field and various metrics >fields, I'd like to sum metric &...

Unable to run excel macro after changing file name
After changing the filename in an excel macro, receiving Error number 5 - Invalid procedure call or argument when users with excel 2000 run the macro. Users with excel 2003 are not having this issue Post the line of code that is causing the error. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "merf" <merf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F68DF323-214D-4F01-8D8E-654F9500242E@microsoft.com... > After changing the filename in an excel macro, receiving Error > number 5 - > Invalid procedure cal...