update column

How would I update a column with numeric values so that there are 3 leading
zeros for each row?
0
Brian8214 (439)
6/25/2007 8:01:01 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

hi
it is not possible to add leading zeros to a numeric value. Mathematically,
this is redundent and unnecessary.

"brian" wrote:

> How would I update a column with numeric values so that there are 3 leading
> zeros for each row?
0
FSt1 (238)
6/25/2007 9:46:02 PM
opps.
hit the post button too quick.
option 1. custom format
if your numeric value is 12345 then see the custom format to 00000000.
note. format do not change data - it just changes the way it looks in the
cell.
option2. format to text
then use the concatinate function to add the leading zeros.
your numeric values would not longer be numeric values but treated as text
by excel.

regards
FSt1

"brian" wrote:

> How would I update a column with numeric values so that there are 3 leading
> zeros for each row?
0
FSt1 (238)
6/25/2007 9:51:01 PM
for each c in range("a2:a200")
c.value="000"& c
next c

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software
"brian" <brian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How would I update a column with numeric values so that there are 3
> leading
> zeros for each row?

0
dguillett1 (2487)
6/25/2007 10:38:15 PM
hi,
format range A2:a200 to text first.
does works better that the concatinate formula. alot quicker. less mouse work.

regards
FSt1

"Don Guillett" wrote:

> for each c in range("a2:a200")
> c.value="000"& c
> next c
>
> --
> Don Guillett
> SalesAid Software
> dguillett1@austin.rr.com
> "brian" <brian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > How would I update a column with numeric values so that there are 3
> > leading
> > zeros for each row?

0
FSt1 (238)

National City auto-update
I used to be able to have Microsfot Money automatically download transactions from my accounts. Now whenever it goes to check it says it failed. I tried setting it up again but it prompts me "National City Requires a Password Change", but no matter what I enter in these boxes it says the password/pin is incorrect. I called National City and they said there wasn't anything wrong with my account. What should I do? In microsoft.public.money, Josh wrote: >I used to be able to have Microsfot Money automatically download transactions >from my accounts. Now whenever i...

Won't update headlines again
I use Money Deluxe 2006. It hasn't updated the financial news or headlines since April 4. This seems to happen periodically. I sure hope Microsoft fixes this soon... ...

money 2007 crashes when updating account info
Hi folks, I'm running Money 2007 trial on vista. However after I fill in my email/password, Money pops out a window saying "Updating Accout Info", then it crashes! If I restart the program I can login, but retrieving bank list failes each time and money crashes when I click "receive account updates from MSN money my accounts". I've owned money 2006 before so I think I do have some old information on msn money.Any idea? Thanks Kun In microsoft.public.money, qk wrote: > >I'm running Money 2007 trial on vista. However after I fill in my >email/...

Updating 20k+ rows from Excel to access. vbscript? VBA? SQL?
Any suggestions? Some of these rows only need a few columns updated, and others need all of them updated. If possible if say row 800 column 'S' is filled in the access DB but is blank on the excel spreadsheet, if possible i like to keep the existing data in access and over right it with a blank cell. The spreadsheet is a export of the access DB, changes were made/merged from other spreadsheets so the Unique ID is the same and in column A. A script suggestions to complete this? Thanks :) dim dbe dim db dim ssql set dbe = createobj("dao.dbengine.36") set db = dbe.openda...

MATCHING COLUMNS
I HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT MATCHING COLUMNS IN EXCEL. FOR INSTANCE I HAVE TWO COLUMNS ONE IN A AND ONE IN B WITH ALL DIFFERENT VALUES. HOW DO I MATCH COLUMN A WITH COLUMN B? AN EXAMPLE IS BELOW A B 000824108498310 000824108378310 000825252525151 000824108378310 002020204582810 000824108448310 020202222225550 000824108460310 None of your values matches any value from other column! Regards, -- AP PS: ALL CAPS means yelling: please avoid! <HOOSICK@NYCAP.RR.COM> a...

pivot table grand totals not showing for all columns...
i have a pivot table that shows the grand total for some columns, but not for others... there are no differences in the data layout, yet this happens? any clues as to why? and how I can get the grand totals to show for all fields. thanx in the PivotTable floating toolbar, click PviotTable, then Table Options, select 'Grand totals for columns' option. ...

SQL to update Item.LastCounted based on PhysicalInventory.CloseTime
Because of a bug/deficiency/oversight in a third party inventory counting application , I did a bunch of physical inventories that did not update the Item.LastCounted field. I need this field updated so I can see the correct date each item was counted last. I am willing to do a seperate SQL statement for each physical inventory sheet for which I have the problem. For example, I want to take each item in the PhysicalInventoryEntry table with PhysicalInventory.Code = '0000057' (or whatever the code is) and set Item.LastCounted = PhysicalInventory.CloseTime. I am not great at SQ...

How do I arrange entries in a column alphabetically
I have typed a list of entries in a column in Excel 2003 and now I want to list them alphabetically. Any ideas how I do this? Select the column, go to Data > Sort, and sort ascending. HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >I have typed a list of entries in a column in Excel 2003 and now I want to >list them alphabetically. Any ideas how I do this? >. > ...

grouping cells to sort by only one column
Hi, New to this so please bear with me. I have a spread sheet where I am listing names in column A and othe info relating to that name in columns B and C in the two rows below th name. I then start a different name in the next row down with the info in t two rows below that, and so forth. I want to be able to add more names in the future and be able to sor all of this by column A only. The problem I am having is the info i the other columns moves. I need it to somehow attatch and stay put wit it's corisponding name without moving. In other words how do I make everything from A1 to ...

Excel's column width format box
Does anyone know why I am unable to enter a number into Excel's column width box, yet using the mouse, I am able to adjust the width. When opening the text box, I can delete the number that appears, but am unable to even reenter that one after it is deleted. I must tell you that I'm a new user who's working through numerous tutorials. Thanks, Hi do you get an error message or what happens exactly -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany rly2rys wrote: > Does anyone know why I am unable to enter a number into Excel's > column width box, yet using the mouse, I am ...

Todays Date that does not update
I created a macro and a button that when clicked it entered todays date in a cell, which is what I wanted. I used "Today( )". Problem is the date keeps updating to todays date and I want it to stay the date I entered it in. Is there some other value or formula to do this so it does not update everyday? Thanks!! You need to enter the date itself. Any function will always update to the current date. Ctrl+; will enter the current date in a cell. In VBA, use Range("A1").Value = Date -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC...

No sound after updating SP2 for Vista
Hi,sorry if this is a duplicate post,but I'm not sure mine posted the first time,it's not coming up in my searches. My Dell Inspiron 1420 laptop automatically informed me of an important update last night,and I went ahead and clicked through it and restarted.It had me download the SP2 for Vista and install it,but when I turned my computer back on after the requisite restart,my computer wasn't making any sound whatsoever.I tried using the volume toggle on the taskbar,I tried pressing the volume and mute buttons on my laptop and playing with the volume sliders in eac...

Can't get automatic updates to work
I get this message: [Error number: 0x8DDD0018] The site cannot continue because one or more of these Windows services is not running: Automatic Updates (allows the site to find, download and install high-priority updates for your computer) Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) (helps updates download more quickly and without problems if the download process is interrupted) Event Log (keeps a record of updating activities to help with troubleshooting, if needed) To make sure these services are running: 1. Click Start, and then click Run. 2. Type servic...

Report Columns
I am trying to add columns to my report but am having some difficulty. The report is basically a form letter. It is grouped on the employee’s unique ID. In that group header is the letter, Dear so and so etc. It is the details portion that I am trying to get into two columns. Is there something I am missing on how to do this. I would rather no put a sub report in to accomplish this. Thank you Jason, Well, the subform would be an easy way to go about that. However, I would think you could use the ID group header to display the first part of the letter, the detail section to disp...

money2004 hanging on updates
I upgraded from money2003 to money2004 last night, then went to online updates. The program can download my bank transactions but when it gets to "updating securities and news" it hangs. I cancel, and it hangs on "cancelling call". I end up having to cont-alt-del and restart money. Happens every time. Any suggestions or is it a server problem? thanks in advance In microsoft.public.money, jeff wrote: >I upgraded from money2003 to money2004 last night, then >went to online updates. The program can download my bank >transactions but when it gets to &q...

Update Query
I have 2 tables: Member and Bulk Mail I have linked them on Last Name Member has these fields: First Name, Last Name, E-mail Bulk mail has these fields: First Name, Last Name, e-mail address The member table has no data in the E-mail field The Bulk Mail table has data in the e-mail address field I would like to update the Member E-mail field with the data in the Bulk Mail e-mail address field using the Query Wizard Glenn Glenn T. Dulmage 207 Valley Road Chestertown, MD 21620 410-778-5166 gdulmage@verizon.net Glenn So, you quite certain that you don't have and ...

Outlook 2003 Cached Mode
When using Outlook 2003 in cached mode with Exchange, changes to the Outlook Address Book are not updated. If a user is added, removed, or changed in the address book, that change is not reflected in the Outlook 2003 client. Doing a manual Send/Receive/Download Address Book/Full Details does not work. The only thing I have found that works is to remove all the *.OAB files from the user profile. ...

Copy column headings AND formula totals to blank spreadsheet
Hi Everyone! I apologize that this was likely asked before but could someone show me how I can copy my 'column headings, column widths and totals formula' to a blank spreadsheet tab? I have set up budget spreadsheet where I input my receipts to keep track of monthly expenditures. Could someone explain how to copy the column headings, the column widths, AND the formulas of each column to a blank spreadsheet tab so each month will contain the 'same headings, same column widths and the same formula for each column'? Thanks so much for any help!!! katy Assuming you alr...

finding 600 emails in a column
Hi! Thank you for taking the time to read this. I run an internet retail business. We advertise on search engine large and small. I have to make a decision on whether or not one of our smaller ad site is paying off. Basically, the ad site supplies us with a list o POTENTIAL CUSTOMER emails. We send out monthly promotional emails t them. Now i need to track these emails to see if any of them have becom ESTABLISHED CUSTOMERS. So far, I fed information from our main data base of ESTABLISHE CUSTOMERS into EXCELL so all the ESTABLISHED CUSTOMER emails are in on column. But i don't kn...

Column that needs separation
I am very new with excel and I am putting together a worksheet that has a column consisting of two primary names. I would like to format the entire column with the result being both names having their own color throughout the column. Alternatively, I could go to each row and highlight the name but there are about 1000 rows. Thanks, Aaron Say column A has entries like: James Ravenswood Run this small macro: Sub Colorizer() Dim A As Range, r As Range Set A = Intersect(ActiveSheet.UsedRange, Range("A:A")) For Each r In A v = r.Value s = Split(v, ...

squashed columns
Apologies if this has been asked before. One of my users occasionally has a problem where the columns in her spreadsheet appear all "squashed up" when she opens the file. She is using Office 97 SR-2. Any ideas why this is happening? ~Paul. Did she or any one else save the file with a zoom factor (far) less then 100% ? -- Regards, Auk Ales * Please reply to this newsgroup only * * I will not react on unsolicited e-mails * "Paul Birney" <pbirney@eircom.ie> wrote in message news:uqstZ%23QAEHA.2484@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Apologies if this has been asked ...

Adding columns given a match
Hello, I have 2 tables with different data, except for a member ID column. Table A has 38,000 records with about 35 columns. Table B has 3,000 records, with about 9 columns. I need to read table B, scan table A with the member ID from table B and add the 3 last cells from table B to table A for that member. I have a general idea how to do it, but that's about it. I need help. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks much in advance, Cefoxtrot Simplest technique is INDEX/MATCH. This link will probably be broken by the forum, but remove the breaks to make one long line ag...

Much adieu about updating and such
OK, I'll be as brief and succinct as I can here. I came to the group to see what I could learn about problems with updating data with the older versions of Money. I started running Money 2001 Deluxe hot of the press back in 2001. I obtained a new desktop in 2003 that had Money 2002 installed by the manufacturer, so I just transferred my files using a floppy (in those days - can you imagine?) and started working with 2002. Didn't care for some of the changes, but...not earth-shattering stuff so I just went with it. Recently I started using a 5-year-old IMB laptop with no Money on...

Upgrade from Money98 to Money 2004 fail to update the old accountfile
When upgrading from Money98 to Money2004 I Money2004 fails to update all data from Mone98. It says incompatible file version. Any idea how I get my data from Money98 converted to Money2004 ? The FAQ to beat all FAQs. See http://www.bollar.org/msmoney/#Q1. "Per" <toppeja@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:05d301c3b39c$25befed0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > When upgrading from Money98 to Money2004 I Money2004 > fails to update all data from Mone98. It says > incompatible file version. Any idea how I get my data > from Money98 converted to Money2004 ? ...

Automatically update cells
Hi all, I am looking for help with the following problem. I would like for two cells to automatically update every time I fill in other cells. For example: Cell A1 is the date cell Cell B1 is the weight cell In column F, I have every date for a month and in column G, I insert a weight I would like for cell A1 to automatically update with the date from column F and cell B1 to automatically update with the weight every time I enter a weight into column G. For example: If column F has every date for a particular month, i.e. 1/3/06 in cell F1 and I enter 50.0 in cell G1, then cell A1 ...