Up/down arrows don't work with data validation list/in-cell dropdown

I have a number of worksheets where I use the in-cell dropdown (from
list) function of data validation. When I open the list by either
clicking on the drop down button or by pressing Alt-Down arrow, the
only way I can move through the list is to grab the scroll bar itself
and move it down. The up and down buttons do not function nor does
clicking in the open space just above or below the scroll bar.

Any ideas as to what is causing this?

David Jones
0
djones1 (2)
9/25/2003 2:12:16 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

David,

I just set up an entire column with Data Validation with List.  I used 39
entries in the list.  The up/down buttons are working as they should.  The
only odd thing I notice is that if I open it with Alt-Down, the mouse
pointer remains a cross, not an arrow, when over the up/down buttons, or any
item in the list.  But it still works.  Dunno.

--
Earl Kiosterud

"David Jones" <djones@gerthtoolage.com> wrote in message
> I have a number of worksheets where I use the in-cell dropdown (from
> list) function of data validation. When I open the list by either
> clicking on the drop down button or by pressing Alt-Down arrow, the
> only way I can move through the list is to grab the scroll bar itself
> and move it down. The up and down buttons do not function nor does
> clicking in the open space just above or below the scroll bar.
>
> Any ideas as to what is causing this?
>
> David Jones

0
Earl
9/25/2003 4:39:13 PM
I just played around again with this and happened to discover that, if
I move my mouse during the click while over either the up or down
arrows in the list or on the areas just above and below the vertical
scroll bar, the expected behaviour happens - the list scrolls. If I
don't move my mouse during the click, nothing happens! Very strange!
At least I can use it better now though. I'd still like to know why
this might be happening. I'm using XL 2002 under Windows 2000 using a
remote desktop connection.

  David

"Earl Kiosterud" <mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net> wrote in message news:<eW47XO4gDHA.2172@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>...
> David,
>
> I just set up an entire column with Data Validation with List.  I used 39
> entries in the list.  The up/down buttons are working as they should.  The
> only odd thing I notice is that if I open it with Alt-Down, the mouse
> pointer remains a cross, not an arrow, when over the up/down buttons, or any
> item in the list.  But it still works.  Dunno.
>
> --
> Earl Kiosterud
> mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net
>
> "David Jones" <djones@gerthtoolage.com> wrote in message
> > I have a number of worksheets where I use the in-cell dropdown (from
> > list) function of data validation. When I open the list by either
> > clicking on the drop down button or by pressing Alt-Down arrow, the
> > only way I can move through the list is to grab the scroll bar itself
> > and move it down. The up and down buttons do not function nor does
> > clicking in the open space just above or below the scroll bar.
> >
> > Any ideas as to what is causing this?
> >
> > David Jones
0
djones1 (2)
9/26/2003 4:49:53 PM
David,

Gee, now you tell us!  :)   If your remote desktop connection means that
Excel is running on a remote machine, and the connection is passing the KVM
(keyboard, video, and mouse) stuff, I'd sure suspect potential trouble
there.

--

> I just played around again with this and happened to discover that, if
> I move my mouse during the click while over either the up or down
> arrows in the list or on the areas just above and below the vertical
> scroll bar, the expected behaviour happens - the list scrolls. If I
> don't move my mouse during the click, nothing happens! Very strange!
> At least I can use it better now though. I'd still like to know why
> this might be happening. I'm using XL 2002 under Windows 2000 using a
> remote desktop connection.
>
>   David
>
> "Earl Kiosterud" <mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net> wrote in
message news:<eW47XO4gDHA.2172@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>...
> > David,
> >
> > I just set up an entire column with Data Validation with List.  I used
39
> > entries in the list.  The up/down buttons are working as they should.
The
> > only odd thing I notice is that if I open it with Alt-Down, the mouse
> > pointer remains a cross, not an arrow, when over the up/down buttons, or
any
> > item in the list.  But it still works.  Dunno.
> >
> > --
> > Earl Kiosterud
> > mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net
> >
> > "David Jones" <djones@gerthtoolage.com> wrote in message
> > > I have a number of worksheets where I use the in-cell dropdown (from
> > > list) function of data validation. When I open the list by either
> > > clicking on the drop down button or by pressing Alt-Down arrow, the
> > > only way I can move through the list is to grab the scroll bar itself
> > > and move it down. The up and down buttons do not function nor does
> > > clicking in the open space just above or below the scroll bar.
> > >
> > > Any ideas as to what is causing this?
> > >
> > > David Jones

0
nowhere8060 (363)

Awesome list of Excel/Word/Powerpoint shortcuts!
Hi, everybody! I recently discovered a great keyboard shortcut list for the office applications. It seems to have practically every shortcut imaginable and it fits on one page too! I printed it out and put on the wall next to my monitor -- just great!. Thought you would appreciate it... Here's the link to the PDF file. Hit print and you're ready to go. http://www.prihodko.com/msoffice/Office_2003_Shortcuts.pdf Lindy Hi Lindy, For Excel, I like Chip Pearson's Excel Keyboard Shortcuts page at: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/KeyboardShortcuts.htm There is also a d...

CRM 4.0 Report Deployment
Hi When I deploy a custom report (through Web UI) and run it, no data is displayed. The report header, footer, etc, display, but there is no data. To simplify the problem I created a very simple report with no parameters, which selects all from filteredsystemuser, and the problem was the same. This is in a test VPC, the whole environment is contained in the VPC. I am developing/publishing/viewing as the CRM administrator. The steps I took were: - Created a new report in Business Intelligence Development Studio using Wizard (installed in VPC) - Created a new DataSet called dsTest with a new D...

Some good work
Hi Everybody I just able to create lookup field. And with this I can enble to show the lookup field of the same entity in the same form. So I think I got a way to get around the one-to-one and many-to-many relationship. Is not it good? Anyone need any help, let me know. Thanks and Regards -- Jaber ...

Button/Macro Not Working, Help!
I have a macro that pulls up Report Manager and prints out pre-define views. The macro works fine only after I use Report Manager the firs time. If I exit my workbook and Excel, then return to it, th button/macro does not function. Nothing happens until I manully us Report Manager again. Is there a bug with this or am I missin something -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Post your code. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Thu, 20 May 2004 08:38:55 -0500, baston <<baston.16k4at@excelforum-nospam.com>> wrote: >I have a macro that pulls up Report Manager and prints out pre...

Can I make a database in Word with Excel Data
I know this may be a "DUH" question, but... I am making a list of area dentists that I have copied and pasted of of the Dex website into Excel. I am wondering if I can take this inf and make a database in Word for printing address labels. Does anyon know if this can be done, and HOW?:confused -- Myn77 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Myn777's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2958 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=49283 For help on Word mail merge using Excel as the...

How to see calculation and heading in same cell.
I would like the cell to perform a calculation and then display the answer as will as a heading. In other words the answer and the heading will appear in the same cell. Perhaps you mean something like ="Heading Name: "&A1+B1 ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "Jeracho" <Jeracho@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F34BACB9-E2DA-448A-924D-46A475F98F91@microsoft.com... > I would like the cell to perform a calculation and then display the answer as > will as a heading. In other words the answer and the heading will appear in...

Rule not working
Background: I have a user with two email addresses. His primary address is "joe@domain.com" and he has a second address called "info@domain.com". We are running SBS2003 with Exchange and the user is using Office 11. Goal: He wants all mail that is sent to the info@domain.com address to be forwarded to another user in the same domain. Problem: Sounds easy enough, right? When the Exchange server receives a piece of mail to info@domain.com, it renames the recipient to joe@domain.com thus causing our rule not run. Obviously we can't forward all mail to the o...

hide Admin from address list
Hi Exchange server 2003 (SBS2003) how do I hide / remove the administrators mail box address from all lists to stop people sending emails to it when they select all domain users? thanks Adrian wrote: > Hi > Exchange server 2003 (SBS2003) how do I hide / remove the > administrators mail box address from all lists to stop people sending > emails to it when they select all domain users? > > thanks Well, you can control who can send email to that mailbox in the delivery restrictions section (ADUC properties of the admin acct, exchange general tab). Would that not suffice?...

Product list in CRM v.1.2
Hi all, i have another question concerning the product list, can i attach an excle sheet that contains my products instead of loging each product one by one as i have over 25,000 products to log? -- Regards, Marwa I'm afraid not. This is a major pain point for a lot of people and I do not kno of any 3rd party add-ons that have addressed it either. -- Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM "marwa" <marwa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C062CF1E-EEF8-43B4-AC31-F299BF707252@microsoft.com... Hi all, i have another question concerning the product list, can ...

data validation
Is it possible to create a similar function like data validation, from which I can select multiple options? (Background: I need a list of many names, from which I case by case can select). Not really. Maybe you could use a listbox. I added a listbox from the Forms toolbar to a worksheet. I called it "List Box 1". I rightclicked on that listbox and chose Format Control. On the Control tab, I chose Selection Type of Multi. I also pointed at the range that held the values that go in that listbox. Then I added a button from the Forms toolbar (I click the button when I'm d...

Email to Quote not working...
Here are the steps we have taken to make email - to - queue work, yet is has not: 1) created a new user in AD which will be the public email for our users, namely: AALSupport@CRM.local 2) Ensured an email box was created for this new acct. 3) Created a 3rd Acct which will be the forwarded to acct: CRMMBX@CRM.local 4) Configured properties to include the mailbox rights for SELF were a) Read b) Full Mailbox Access c) Associated Ext. Acct. 5) Added the two new users to the CRM. 6) Ran the Rule Deployment Wizard and typed in "CRMMBX@CRM.local" in the box. ...

AutomaticScale doesn't work properly
Hi all a question a fellow employee has asked me earlyer: I have two identic formatted tables, with each 2 columns 1. Column contains each Month of the last 3 years 2. Column contains Data, normal numbers without link or whatever first table ranges from 98.8 to 109.3 second table from 100 to 136 Now i'm going to do two chart from those two tables: first table changes into a chart where the minimum is automatically set to 92, second table however has a minimum of 0!?? even when i change some of the numbers it stays like that! What points does excel take into consideration for calculating ...

Updateing data when closing forms
I am using MS Access 2000 I have a table that has several required fields. I developed a form to add records to the table. In addition to the table fields, the form has a form-close button constructed with the button wizard. When I enter a record that does not have the required information and close the form with the “Close Window” (X) button on the tool bar, the appropriate error message appears telling me that there is missing data. (Just what I want) When I use the close button on the form, the form closes with no message and without adding the record. How do I give the button on the f...

Graph Data Values
I am trying to create a pick and mix graph that shows forecast spen against actual spend by a selected business area. I somehow want to create a graph on the fly based on the selections fo example: If I choose company one and want to see the contracted data I want th graph to pick up the forcasted contracted Labour, Passthru and Othe and show the combined contracted actuals; See attached; and if i then choose company 2 then graph will pick up the releven ranges? HELP!! Attachment filename: help.zip Download attachment: http://www.excelforum.com/attachmen...

Multiple IF statement not working
I have numbers in cells b2, d2,e2, and f2. I am trying to write statment that will increment number in cell b2 by one for each cell (d2, e2, f2) that is greater than or equal to one. The following formula will not work if more than one cell (d2, e2, f2) has a zero in it: =IF(AND(D2>=1,E2>=1,F2>=1),B2+3,IF(OR(D2=0,E2=0,F2=0),B2+2,IF(AND (D2=0,E2=0),B2+1,IF(AND(D2=0,F2=0),B2+1,IF(AND(E2=0,F2=0),B2+1,))))) Does anyone know why? Try this =B2+COUNTIF(D2:F2,">=1") -- Wag more, bark less "Anthony" wrote: > I have numbers in cells b2, d...

Coping part of a cell content into a seperate cell
Hi I have two cells, one containing first and middle name and another one with surname. I want to combine the first name and surname into a separate cell, can you advise how I can just copy the first name and miss out the middle name please?? Thanks Caz Hi, I assume that the midle name is separated by a space from the first name and is in column A and the last name in column B =TRIM(LEFT(A2,FIND(" ",a2)-1))&" "&B2 "Caz H" wrote: > Hi > I have two cells, one containing first and middle name and another one with &g...

How do I import data from a SECURED website into Excel?
I can import data from a regular web page directly into Excel spreadsheet, but when I tried importing them from a secured site I encountered problems. Does anyone have any suggestions? ...

generate list of non-entries within dates
I use Excel (2007) to record activity and support for about 100 current online learners and I have to provide an activity summary sheet every two weeks. The list of learners is in one sheet and are marked "current", agreed break" or "completed" in an adjacent column. The total list is about 1000 and grows by about 10 each week. The activity log is another sheet of the same workbook. Assuming that all activity is logged in this way I need to generate a list (sheet) of those current learners who have not submitted any recent work and are therefore "inacti...

POP3 and SSL not working 8(
Hi My pop3 ssl connection to exchange 5.5 mailboxes isnt working. The exchange server is NT4. I created an OpenSSL certificate and followed the MS guide to installing SSL certificates: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;175439 In Exchange administrator the pop3 protocoal is enabled for the site and the server, with 'Basic (Clear Text) using SSL' and 'Windows NT Challenge/Repsonse using SSL' ticked. The IIS key manager shows a key under POP3, the properties of this key shows it is not out of date, and is 'complete and usable' Do I have to do an...

Lookup Wizard changing Data Type
I am trying to make Lookups from Table Field to Table Field and generally it seems OK. However the LookupWizard is changing the Data Type from Text to Number (I guess it's looking at the ID?) Data picked from Combo Box 'looks' OK in Table view A Query view is asking for a number but displays the Text field value when a valid ID number is added. Viewing Results in FrontPage Database Wizard, and using hand coded .asp querie, it's showing the ID field value. I can see why... Any ideas? Merci. Yes, the wizard isn't the problem it's the use of Lookup Fields in ...

retrieving data from Great Plains via eConnect
Hi, I've been working with eConnect for the last two weeks and have had success with importing a variety of transactions into Great Plains. However, I'd like to query Great Plains on demand and have data returned to me. For example, given a certain field value (like customer name = "Smith"), I'd like to have all customer records returned that match that specified value. Is there any way to do this easily with eConnect? I'm not so interested in the Transaction Requester Service because that seems to be focused more on automatically returning records that have...

Adding a formula to the same cell (H5) on every tab
I have an inventory spreadsheet with 125 tabs. The tabs are numbered 1 through 125. The are identical except for the data below the column headings. If I wanted to put a formula in H5 on every tab, can it be done other than manually opening every tab and typing it? One additional question: If I add a Summary Tab, how could I show the value of a specific cell on each tab without manually entering it? I show the formula I'm using bring B3 to the summary for every tab: A B 1 Unit Value 2 1 ='1'!B3 3 2 ='2'!B3 4 3 ='3'!B3 5 4 ='4'!B3 6 5 ='5'!B3 7...

Global Address List #16
This is a brand new Windows 2003 SBS Exchange 2003 install. I have created a separate OU and added a few users to that OU. From Outlook 2003, the GAL only shows the administrator and 1 of the default SBS groups. However, when 'All Users' is selected from the drop-down menu, the other users appear. I have checked the preview for both the GAL and All Address lists filter in System Manager and all of the appropriate users appear. Shouldn't they all appear on the GAL by default? "Jorge Azcuy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >This is a brand ne...

Scheduled Active Directory Synchronization doesn't work
We have some troubles with scheduled AD synchronization with MOPS 2007. This error was appeared without visible reason. We have the following error in Application log: Event Type: Error Event Source: Office SharePoint Server Event Category: Project Server Active Directory Synchronization Event ID: 7715 Date: 22.01.2010 Time: 7:15:01 User: N/A Computer: SHHARA Description: Standard Information: PSI Entry Point: Project User: DOMAIN\runsql1service Correlation Id: d5ddd59b-b0d7-40a5-bb1c-7839c26608ea PWA Site URL: https://sh1.xxx.com/PWA SSP Name: SharedServices1 PSError...