Unwanted Task Pane (Clipboard) keeps appearing.

Every time I upgrade to a new version of MS software, I get these
stupid new behaviors shoved down my throat.

Now, dont' get me wrong. New behavior is fine--provided it's turned
OFF by default, not ON.

In Excel 2002, when I press Ctrl-C or Ctrl-X to copy or move
something, the stupid Task Pane appears at right (with Clipboard
content). Perversely--not always, just sometimes. This never happened
in my older Excel. Every time it happens, I've gotta manually kill it.

In Tools / Options / View tab, I tried clearing the "Startup Task
Pane" checkbox, but obviously it has no effect.

I NEVER want to see the Task Pane.

What must I do to kill it?

Thanks much.

***
0
baobob (32)
2/8/2008 5:25:32 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

This is in Word 2003 but perhaps the same. Press Ctrl+C twice and then
select "Options" at the bottom of the pane to elect your preference.

baobob@my-deja.com wrote:

> Every time I upgrade to a new version of MS software, I get these
> stupid new behaviors shoved down my throat.
>
> Now, dont' get me wrong. New behavior is fine--provided it's turned
> OFF by default, not ON.
>
> In Excel 2002, when I press Ctrl-C or Ctrl-X to copy or move
> something, the stupid Task Pane appears at right (with Clipboard
> content). Perversely--not always, just sometimes. This never happened
> in my older Excel. Every time it happens, I've gotta manually kill it.
>
> In Tools / Options / View tab, I tried clearing the "Startup Task
> Pane" checkbox, but obviously it has no effect.
>
> I NEVER want to see the Task Pane.
>
> What must I do to kill it?
>
> Thanks much.
>
> ***

0
birelan (531)
2/8/2008 5:38:55 PM
If you were to open Help and type in "clipboard" the first item that comes up is
"Turn off the Office clipboard" with instructions for not displaying it.

Now, that wasn't too difficult or stupid was it?

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 09:25:32 -0800 (PST), baobob@my-deja.com wrote:

>Every time I upgrade to a new version of MS software, I get these
>stupid new behaviors shoved down my throat.
>
>Now, dont' get me wrong. New behavior is fine--provided it's turned
>OFF by default, not ON.
>
>In Excel 2002, when I press Ctrl-C or Ctrl-X to copy or move
>something, the stupid Task Pane appears at right (with Clipboard
>content). Perversely--not always, just sometimes. This never happened
>in my older Excel. Every time it happens, I've gotta manually kill it.
>
>In Tools / Options / View tab, I tried clearing the "Startup Task
>Pane" checkbox, but obviously it has no effect.
>
>I NEVER want to see the Task Pane.
>
>What must I do to kill it?
>
>Thanks much.
>
>***

0
Gord
2/8/2008 9:20:34 PM
Bob & Gord:

Thanks VERY much for your replies.

It wasn't until you replied that you made me realize that what I was
seeing was a "Clipboard", not the "Task Pane".

They are in the identical position, so obviously disabling "Task Pane"
did nothing.

Furthermore, unlike many of Windows/Office's other hand-holding,
wizard like dialogs, it does NOT have a checkbox to let you turn it
off. You have to have the presence of mind to click on a button at
bottom to even see WHETHER it can be turned off.

All of which I violently disagree with.

I called this Clipboard pane "stupid" because, for me, it's no
different than that animated paperclip/help schtick that MS came out
with several years ago.

No one DIDN'T call that feature stupid.

But I guess it's something of a philosophical question as to whether,
when you introduce a new behavior, you turn it on or off by default.

My programmer friend just said he thinks the default ought to be ON;
otherwise how would you find out about it?

My opinion is the diametric opposite: Who the hell wants, say, the A/C
in your car to default to ON when you first get in, just to let you
know it's THERE?

Thanks both again.

***
0
baobob (32)

VC Output panes
Environment: Visual Studio 6.0 Windows NT/2000/XP Hello, I'm trying to write a custom Visual Studio Toolbar using Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0. This tool bar is intended to be used only in Visual Studio 6.0. I want the tool bar to pop up a dialog box and then post the result of the dialog operation into the 'Build' or 'Debug' sections of the output panes. Could you please point me to some documentation on how to send messages to a particular tab in the output panes section? My next step is to create my own tab in that section. Any documentation on how to ac...

Outlook 2007 Signature doesn't appear in new message
I have set up only one signature and is default to new message and reply message. Also, set mail format to HTML. But every time when start a new message, signature doesn't appear automatically, user have to manually select and insert the signature. This is happening to our CEO's laptop. Is there anything else can be configured in Outlook? Anyone got an idea? "rhst11" wrote: > I have set up only one signature and is default to new message and reply > message. Also, set mail format to HTML. But every time when start a new > message, signature doesn...

Word 2007 keep pasting same item instead of dif pictures ect.
I just installed MS Office 2007 Ent. on my HP Laptop running xp os. I open word and tried to copied / cut n past a item from IE8 to a word doc it did it ok. But when I tried to copy n past another item it pasted the first picture. Every time I try to copy n past it keep giving me the same picture not the one I copied? Did any1 get this same problem is it a SP patch problem any fix to this? Thks You posted this same question an hour ago. This is a user peer group forum, not a help desk. If anyone has the answer they will reply ... eventually. -- <>>< ><...

Notes, Tasks,... via OWA.
Where in microsoft exchange server 2003 can I set up some options to Notes, tasks,... on users accounts and/or on public folders. F.e. I want to give option to change color of note or contents when someone is using OWA. 2nd question: Can I log on public folders (see public folders) via Microsoft Outlook 2003 from outside the network? Filip You would need RPC over HTTP for PF from Outlook outside your network unless you felt like opening your firewall. Definitely not a good idea. Nue "Filip - beginner" <fwitkowski@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1137088693.834951.173710@...

Internet/Published Calendar Keeps Asking For Password
Greetings. My wife and I use MS Office 2007 between Win7 machines for my company and use the Published/Internet Calendar feature. For the last 2 days the credentials box keeps popping up and it will not take my Live ID password. Each time I enter it, the box pops right back up on both of our machines. I have deleted these Calendars and tried to recreate as well, but upon the recreation I am faced with the same issue. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. -- Ron Anthony Quinn Chief Nerd Officer Network Nerds, LLC It’s a problem with the calendar server. Hopefully, it will b...

Exch2k3 cluster keeps failing! Need urgent help please...
I am having *major* issues with my exchange cluster today, and I don't know what else to do. I have a 2-node A/P exch2k3 cluster, and all of a sudden the "smtp virtual server instance" would go into an "online-pending" state. Once this happens, everyone loses their connection to the server. After a while, it goes from online-pending, to failed. That problem is bad enough, but another problem is that, it didn't failover to the next node, and I've run diagnostics on the server nodes, and they seem to be fine hardware-wise. These nodes are connected to an ...

How do I set the phone numbers to appear in a specific order
I want to make the phone numbers appear in a specific order every time I create a new contact. So, I want to change the default from Business, Home, Business Fax, Mobile to a different order "MB" <MB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4D68308C-3A02-45E1-A36A-6B9D48C1123B@microsoft.com... >I want to make the phone numbers appear in a specific order every time I > create a new contact. So, I want to change the default from Business, Home, > Business Fax, Mobile to a different order You'll have to design your own form. Visit http://www...

Word keeps Times New Roman as default
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Hello, <br> I have tried to change default to Verdana but unsuccessfully. Word keeps typing new words in Times New Roman. The same applies with editing of documents where the paragraph was written in other font/style and my insertions appear in Times New Roman. It used not to be in this way (MSWord for Windows), where insertions where always in the style what paragraph used. <br> Please help. How did you try to change the default font? Exactly what commands? --rms www.rmschneider.com ...

Deleting unwanted categories and amounts
As part of setup for Money 2005 Small Business edition, I imported the bank account associated with my business. However, since I have two other personal accounts at the same bank, information for those were imported as well. First I tried to delete those accounts, but it also deleted the business account that I wanted. Then, I tried "closing" the two personal accounts, and they appeared to disappear. However, all of the history of those two personal accounts is still buried somewhere, and reports like the handy "Spending by Category" pie chart on the opening page re...

All my new calendar entries do not appear
I have Office 2002 with XP Prof. SP3. I recently arrived at 2Gb with my pst file so had to do the cut (50gb) and scanpst which all went well, however when complete whilst all my old calendar entries were there, I cannot access or change them and new ones I add do not appear. I have also tried to delete the forms file as one blog suggested but no difference. HELP please With so many users of Outlook why hasn't Microsoft sorted the 2Gb limit out - it is a real problem as we receive many emailed large images and for us it is a big problem. If Outlook was created by a sm...

SBS2008, 8GB shows in System Info, 4GB in Task Manager?
I have a nice new Dell 410 server with 8GB ram, can see it in the POST, and the Control Panel/System shows a System Memory (RAM): 8.00GB, but when I open the Task Manager it shows 4GB total memory, it shows the right number of CPU's and the server is working fine, but I've never seen the task manager show the wrong amount of memory in SBS 08 before. Any ideas? -- You can't trust your best friends, your five senses, only the little voice inside you that most civilians don't even hear -- Listen to that. Trust yourself. spam999free@rrohio.com (remove 999 fo...

Excel 2003 makes files appear to be read only in Excel 97
I have a file I have worked with for months in Excel 2002. I send it to people who use Excel 97 and they can open and save it again no problem. Now I open and save it in Excel 2003 and when the 97 users open it, it says it is read only and cannot be saved. I have opened this file on machines that have never received it before and gotten the same result so it is not some jammed up temp file. I have saved the file from 2003 as a 2002/2000/97 compatible file but get the same result. This is a really big problem - I would appreciate any assistance you can provide. Thanks! John ...

Why do I keep getting: "cannot empty the clipboard" Message? in Ex
When I try to drag a cell with data in it to a new blank cell then I keep getting a pop up message of: "Cannot empty the Clipboard" I then must click on the "OK" button on the popup before I am allowed to do anything else. HOW IRRITATING!! I am using Excel 2007 PLEASE - Why am I getting this, and how do I fix the problem so I don't get it anymore!? Also, I am logged in here using my hotmail account because that is my Microsoft system ID, but I NEVER check my hotmail address anymore, it's nothing but full of spamm... so please use the below address for...

Temp files appearing on the recently used file list
we've just upgraded to Office-XP and now notice that spreadsheets launched from e-mail etc that are just opened and not saved are then appearing in the recently used file list at the bottom of the file menu. Is this a bug or a new MS 'feature' Is there a way of stopping this, it does not appear to happen on Word and didnit happen on Office-2k Thanks in advance Hi Julie sounds like your email client stores the file in your temp file end Excel opens it from there. So from Excel's point of view it's o.k. that it appears in the most recent file list :-) -- Regards Frank K...

How do you get "Page 1" to appear behind cells in Excel?
How do you get page numbers to appear like "Page 1" in gray behind the cells (or text) in Excel? if i understand you correctly.... do you want to view it or print it? the gray background numbers show up by default in Page Break Preview (but they don't print). View>Page Break Preview. ianalexh "EdTechDirector" wrote: > How do you get page numbers to appear like "Page 1" in gray behind the cells > (or text) in Excel? View|Page Break Preview And View|Normal to turn it off. EdTechDirector wrote: > > How do you get page numbers t...

converting pdf files to pub files keeping same layout?
I am working on a pub document and need to add a pdf file to it. No idea how to do this and at the same time keep the correct layout of the pdf file? can anyone please help? -- I am new to windows xp and am looking for help and guidance. I appreciate your time. Thanks people kezaaa <kezaaa@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I am working on a pub document and need to add a pdf file to it. No > idea how to do this and at the same time keep the correct layout of > the pdf file? can anyone please help? Try inserting the PDF through Insert >...

'Enable CD Recording' Won't Keep
Hi, I've got a Presicion 390 that I got used. I installed a new hard drive and a new install of XPSP3. The 390 came with a Sony CD-RW CRX217E and a Philips DVD+-DVD8801. Both show working properly in Device Manager. If I enable CD recording in one of these drives, CD recording is disabled in the other. I can't keep CD recording enabled in both at the same time. I have uninstalled the devices, and when I restart the machine, Windows finds and installs both, and a set of four identical drivers for each, digitally signed by Microsoft. Device Manager shows they a...

Messages I have moved to a folder keep coming back into the inbox
Why do my emails which I have moved into a folder keep coming back into my inbox in Outlook 2007? Thanks. Julian <Julian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Why do my emails which I have moved into a folder keep coming back > into my inbox in Outlook 2007? Thanks. What type of account? -- Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] Thank you Brian. It is from an IMAP server if that is what you are asking. "Brian Tillman" wrote: > Julian <Julian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > > > Why do my emails which I have moved into a folder keep coming back > > ...

Import DBX into WML not appearing
I am using the WML import facility to get my OE6 emails into WML. It says that emails are being copied in a progress window, but they are appearing when it has finished the copy. -- Dave Imported emails will be in Storage folders. Alt + V, Layout, Folder pane, check Show Storage folders. NOTE you will have to expand folders to see subfolders. -- Ron Sommer MS MVP-Mail "Dave" <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B455E302-7CC0-4C1A-84F3-AD01097E3A03@microsoft.com... > I am using the WML import facility to get my OE6 emails into WML. It s...

pivot chart colors- how to keep from changing when data elements are added/removed?
I have a pivot chart with a bunch of data series, and every time we include/exclude one of the series to see how the chart changes, all the colors change and we have to spend time re-identifying which series is which, using the legend to check the colors. Is there a way to "lock" the colors, so that the bars stay the same colors regardless of whether other bars are included/excluded? Thanks! Keith Loss of formatting is a known problem with pivot charts. There's information in the following MSKB article, which suggests recording a macro as you apply the formatting: Changin...

Users appear dithered in Global Group, 2003 Fun level
I have an odd situation. I'm troubleshooting a permission issue with our provisioning team, they are unable to unlock accounts in AD. They are nested members of the account operators group which technically should give them this access, however, we have about 250 members in the provisioning team group and they appear dithered- they are a different color, much lighter than the usual user icon in AD 2003 Functional domain/forest. The technical library mentions the group limit being in the millions. I've never seen this before- any ideas? -- -Chris Hello doc_king, ...

Why No Appearance of My Post?
Twice today I've made the same post and nowhere do I see it. However, an hour or so ago I made a post and it definitely was commented upon. The topic was pushing a few bullet-ed lines further to the right. It just doesn't work for what I consider standard simple situation that I've used before, and in the document I am working on (2007 PPT). So has anyone seen the post? -- Wayne Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada City, CA) (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time) Obz Site: 39� 15' 7" N, 121� 2'...

Daily Recurring Calendar/Task
I want to issue a task request to a number of people for every Mon-Fri at 4:30pm. Doing this by a calendar won't let me see who has completed the request, but I can't seem to specify a time via a task request and I want to issue one recurring request. Is there a way to do this? Thanks Tasks are due at the end of the work day with reminders set earlier. I don’t think you can set a reminder on a task you assign to others though. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.c...

Keep Source Formatting
I know this topic's been raised before, but it doesn't seem like it's been recently addressed. Has Microsoft fixed their bug in which ppt allows us to make 'keep source formatting' our default? Any info would be great. Thanks ...

keeping rows intact during sort
I have information for a name that uses three rows. (See below) An average is created from the values from cells in those three rows. I want to sort by those averages, but keep the three rows relevant to the name intact. Can this be done? If so, how? EX: 1st person 5 4 5 14 12.00 3 3 4 10 3 4 5 12 2nd person 4 4 4 12 11.33 4 5 5 14 4 2 2 8 3rd person 4 5 4 13 14.00 5 5 5 15 4 5 5 14 The averages are the far right number. When so...