Unexpected quote marks in exports to tab-delimited files

I am experiencing a problem exporting data to a tab-delimited file. The
results of the export cause unexpected (and unwanted) double quotes to appear
(apparently) randomly throughout the file. They appear in certain cells - it
is replicable, and it's always the same cells - but there appears to be no
pattern.
This happens regardless of cell format (general v text), and only when
exported to a tab-delimited file and viewed from a text viewer such as
notepad.

Any help that can be provided is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
0
David4882 (672)
3/16/2005 2:33:05 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

David,

Those aren't double quotes. They're single quotation marks around fields
that contain certain things.  They're necessary for any program reading the
file, or your data will get jumbled.  Read more at
http://www.smokeylake.com/excel/textfiles.htm.  Read "Delimited Text File."

At that site is the Text Write Program which can write a text file without
the quotation marks, if you really need that.  Be careful though.

--
Earl Kiosterud

>I am experiencing a problem exporting data to a tab-delimited file. The
> results of the export cause unexpected (and unwanted) double quotes to
> appear
> (apparently) randomly throughout the file. They appear in certain cells -
> it
> is replicable, and it's always the same cells - but there appears to be no
> pattern.
> This happens regardless of cell format (general v text), and only when
> exported to a tab-delimited file and viewed from a text viewer such as
> notepad.
>
> Any help that can be provided is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

0
nothanks4548 (968)
3/16/2005 2:39:12 PM
Hi Earl,
Thanks for the input (no pun intended-lol), I wish it were that easy. These
are definitely double quotes and they only appear in certain cells, around
text. Several of us (none unfamiliar to tech support and/or programming) are
at a loss. We weere hoping there was some knowledge of a bug that might be
easily corrected. The problem is, this data haas to be imported into a
program that won't work properly with the quotes.
Thanks again for your help.

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

> David,
>
> Those aren't double quotes. They're single quotation marks around fields
> that contain certain things.  They're necessary for any program reading the
> file, or your data will get jumbled.  Read more at
> http://www.smokeylake.com/excel/textfiles.htm.  Read "Delimited Text File."
>
> At that site is the Text Write Program which can write a text file without
> the quotation marks, if you really need that.  Be careful though.
>
> --
> Earl Kiosterud
> mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net
>
> "David" <David@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am experiencing a problem exporting data to a tab-delimited file. The
> > results of the export cause unexpected (and unwanted) double quotes to
> > appear
> > (apparently) randomly throughout the file. They appear in certain cells -
> > it
> > is replicable, and it's always the same cells - but there appears to be no
> > pattern.
> > This happens regardless of cell format (general v text), and only when
> > exported to a tab-delimited file and viewed from a text viewer such as
> > notepad.
> >
> > Any help that can be provided is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

0
David4882 (672)
3/16/2005 2:59:03 PM
Take a look here:

    http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/textfiles.html

including the section on "Text files with no modification"

In article <71403F5F-D418-4683-8A8B-09DE5F669388@microsoft.com>,
 "David" <David@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the input (no pun intended-lol), I wish it were that easy. These
> are definitely double quotes and they only appear in certain cells, around
> text. Several of us (none unfamiliar to tech support and/or programming) are
> at a loss. We weere hoping there was some knowledge of a bug that might be
> easily corrected. The problem is, this data haas to be imported into a
> program that won't work properly with the quotes.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
3/16/2005 3:47:04 PM
David,

What you're calling double-quotes are quotation marks.  I recommend you read
that piece I pointed you to.  If the program that will read the file
(including Excel) expects a normal comma-delimited text file, and they're
not there in those cells, you'll have problems.

Give an example of what got wrapped in quote marks, and what was in the
cell.

You can use that Text Write Program to write it without the quotes, if you
don't want to mess with macro code yourself.  But keep an eye on the data
when that other program reads the file.

--
Earl Kiosterud