Unable to read File #4

I have one particular file in Excel 97  which I open and update daily
(stock market stuff) and each day I copy the days entries and paste it
below for the next day.  Been doing this for years with no hitch until a
couple of months ago then one day I tried to open the file and got a
notice "Unable to Read File". Tried everything I knew (which is not
much) with no luck. Fortunately I had the file saved to a flash drive
and was able to open it there and "Save As" back to by hard drive. It
worked fine for a while, then last week it happened again, but I didn't
bother to retrieve it from the flash drive.  Just tried every day to
open it, with no luck for several days, then a couple of days ago it
reopened again like magic!! Today it balked again and I had to go
retrieve it again from my flash drive.

Can anyone tell me what may be causing this - no other files seem to be
affected. Also, if I reloaded Excel from my  original CD, would I lose
all my files or are they stored separately?? I thought this might help.

  I recently posted the same question but we got off on a tangent and I
never heard anything on this subject.

Big John
0
watson6918 (11)
11/28/2007 4:04:11 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Being one particular file I would suggest that re-installing Excel would
probably not do much for you.

This file seems to be on the way out.

Can you copy the data to a new workbook and see what transpires?

I would not "Save As" back to the flash drive.

Best to save to HDD then copy to flash drive.

Working from and to removable media can be quite dodgy and cause file
corruption.

No.....a re-install of Excel would not lose any of your files.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 04:04:11 GMT, Big John <watson6918@sbcglobal.invalid.net>
wrote:

>I have one particular file in Excel 97  which I open and update daily
>(stock market stuff) and each day I copy the days entries and paste it
>below for the next day.  Been doing this for years with no hitch until a
>couple of months ago then one day I tried to open the file and got a
>notice "Unable to Read File". Tried everything I knew (which is not
>much) with no luck. Fortunately I had the file saved to a flash drive
>and was able to open it there and "Save As" back to by hard drive. It
>worked fine for a while, then last week it happened again, but I didn't
>bother to retrieve it from the flash drive.  Just tried every day to
>open it, with no luck for several days, then a couple of days ago it
>reopened again like magic!! Today it balked again and I had to go
>retrieve it again from my flash drive.
>
>Can anyone tell me what may be causing this - no other files seem to be
>affected. Also, if I reloaded Excel from my  original CD, would I lose
>all my files or are they stored separately?? I thought this might help.
>
>  I recently posted the same question but we got off on a tangent and I
>never heard anything on this subject.
>
>Big John

0
Gord
11/28/2007 5:32:55 AM
OK, Thanks,
I'll give that a shot and see what happens. Today it opened without a
hitch, so I'll now move it to a new workbook.

Thanks again

Jrw

Gord Dibben wrote:
> Being one particular file I would suggest that re-installing Excel would
> probably not do much for you.
>
> This file seems to be on the way out.
>
> Can you copy the data to a new workbook and see what transpires?
>
> I would not "Save As" back to the flash drive.
>
> Best to save to HDD then copy to flash drive.
>
> Working from and to removable media can be quite dodgy and cause file
> corruption.
>
> No.....a re-install of Excel would not lose any of your files.
>

> Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
>
> On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 04:04:11 GMT, Big John <watson6918@sbcglobal.invalid.net>
> wrote:
>
>> I have one particular file in Excel 97  which I open and update daily
>> (stock market stuff) and each day I copy the days entries and paste it
>> below for the next day.  Been doing this for years with no hitch until a
>> couple of months ago then one day I tried to open the file and got a
>> notice "Unable to Read File". Tried everything I knew (which is not
>> much) with no luck. Fortunately I had the file saved to a flash drive
>> and was able to open it there and "Save As" back to by hard drive. It
>> worked fine for a while, then last week it happened again, but I didn't
>> bother to retrieve it from the flash drive.  Just tried every day to
>> open it, with no luck for several days, then a couple of days ago it
>> reopened again like magic!! Today it balked again and I had to go
>> retrieve it again from my flash drive.
>>
>> Can anyone tell me what may be causing this - no other files seem to be
>> affected. Also, if I reloaded Excel from my  original CD, would I lose
>> all my files or are they stored separately?? I thought this might help.
>>
>>  I recently posted the same question but we got off on a tangent and I
>> never heard anything on this subject.
>>
>> Big John

0
watson6918 (11)

Mail Merge Excel Data with Publisher for 4 up postcards
Hi, I have been browsing and searching for help on this issue to no avail. What I am trying to do is mail merge a 2 sided 4 up postcard with my Excel 2003 data. On the front of Publisher 2003I have the Address Block which is no problem, however when I try to import the matching customer data to the back of the postcard it does not match up at all with the front. I have also 2 publisher files setup, 1 for the front of the postcard and 1 for the back. I know the Excel data has to be in this format for the mail merge to work correctly using this formula posted by Doug Robbins: =IF(MOD(A2,2)=1,A2...

Unable to change forecolor
Help please. I cannot change the forecolor of my textbox using the .forecolor property I want to change the text color to red if the value is greater than 31,999 This is the code snipset: Me.IncAmtPaid = xIncAmtPaid Me.IncFirstPay = xIncFirstPay Me.IncCCPay = xIncCCPay I do not see where you are trying to use the ForeColor property. azu_daioh@yahoo.com wrote: >Help please. I cannot change the forecolor of my textbox using >the .forecolor property > >I want to change the text color to red if the value is greater than >31,999 > >This is the co...

Help! Unable to mount public folder store event 9519
Hi, I am getting the following error when tring to mount the public folder store. Event Type: Error Event Source: MSExchangeIS Event Category: General Event ID: 9519 Date: 11/01/2006 Time: 00:10:26 User: N/A Computer: SERVER Description: Error 0x8004010f starting database "First Storage Group\f7967383-856a-4b7f-9023-37c269a0e908" on the Microsoft Exchange Information Store. Look up of DB Info failed. For more information, click http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp. I have tried numerous ms kb articles to no avail. I did find this on a news group :- -------------...

IS there a way to compare 2 excel files
I like to be able to compare 2 excel files to see how different they are.Is there such a thing? Hi Now imagine how totally different two excel files can possibly be. The report would say ... ? But if you have two pretty similar sheets, try Myrna Larson and Bill Manville's "Compare", downloadable from http://www.cpearson.com/excel/download.htm HTH. Best wishes Harald "PeterM" <pmaston@comcast.net> skrev i melding news:%23BAzyBkOFHA.3940@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > I like to be able to compare 2 excel files to see how different they are.Is > there such a ...

Corupt excel file ???
I have a excel file that seems to want to open, but then when it is done opening, There is no data or blank sheet. It goes though the possess and say's at the bottom ready opening but then there is nothing and the screen look's like I just opened Excel but no spread sheet. I then can go to file open another sheet and it works. (Not the one I wont) any body help. of coarse we don�t have a backup??? Email: bhogan@emediaofli.com --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ First, check to see if the file is actually loaded. Click on Window and see if it appears at the bottom o...

File Handle not being released with FileInfo.LastWriteTime
From an ASPX page I am trying to access the System.IO.FileInfo.LastWriteTime property of a file on the web site. The problem I have is that image file types; e/g/ gif, bmp etc; are not being released from the FileInfo object. If I access a page that reads the LastWriteTime of an image file; I cannot then update the file on the web server, until the app pool recycles. The same is not true for the text files; e.g. css, js; the FileInfo object is releasing these files. I have tried the garbage collector against the FileInfo object instance; but this did not work. Using t...

Unable to open .xls file
Hello- I have Windows XP Home edition on my computer and I received an email with some info that is an .xls extensoin. I have Windows Worksheet and wanted to know how, if I could, look at this file? I also receive info with >pps (powerpoint) and am unable to open these files also. ANy suggestions? Thanx, -- Michie You may not have MSOffice. It's not part of Windows. It's a separate suite of applications. But MS does make a viewer for excel: http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2000/xlviewer.aspx and one for powerpoint: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?Fa...

Import Excel Data from another workbook or file
Is there a way to import or export Excel Data between 2 different workbooks? E.G. Import from "File A" 'Sheet1' Column A, Row2 to "File B" 'Sheet1' Column A, Row 2. What I'd like to do ultimately is import data from 5 excel files into one. tamato43 wrote: || Is there a way to import or export Excel Data between 2 different || workbooks? || || E.G. Import from "File A" 'Sheet1' Column A, Row2 to "File B" || 'Sheet1' Column A, Row 2. || || What I'd like to do ultimately is import data from 5 excel files || in...

conditional formating #4
I have an annual report spreadsheet comprised of 15 rows (1 - 15) and 5 columns (A - E). In columns "B" and "D" I add numbers from the current year, leaving future year cells blank. I highlight in yellow the blank future cells in columns "B" and "D" by a conditional format "formula is = ISBLANK(B9)". I leave past year cells in "B" and "D" with numbers but no highlight colors. I wish to highlight in green the current year numbers in columns "B" and "D", which will always be a cell above the firs...

OL 2000 .pst file moving to new computer
I am trying to export a OL 2000 .pst file running under Windows XP with SP 1. I want to export or save the file so I can open it up on my other computer using Outlook 2000 under Windows 98. When opening the outlook.pst file on the computer with Windows 98 I received the following message - "File access is denied; You do not have the permission required to access the file C:\WINDOWS\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook outlook.pst." I had exported that outlook.pst file to a CD and then copied it into WINDOWS\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook ...

integration microsoft crm 4.0-sharepoint server 2007
Hello, I searched information about integration microsoft crm 4.0 with sharepoint server 2007, but I didn't find something, I don't know if I can integrate that.. Can you tell me about that? Thanks!! yorleni_jimenez@yahoo.com Hi, Yes, you can get both integrated. You mostly need to work on MOSS side. Following blog is on CRM 3 and MOSS but it will give you pretty good idea; http://rehmangul.wordpress.com/2007/05/08/ms-crm-and-sharepoint-2007-integration/ -- uMar Khan :: MS CRM MVP CRM Freelance Consultant Email :: imumar at gmail dot com Blog :: http://umarkhan.wordpress.com MV...

File Menu button is now an icon
I succeeded in changing File Menu to the Excel Icon and have no idea how I did it or how to get it back. The result is that a left click on that icon will bring up the Restore Menu and a right click will bring up a seriously abbreviated File menu. Two commands I use quite a bit are Set Print Area and Clear Print Area and neither are present on this abbreviated menu. Help! It sounds like you're still using xl2003 or below (not xl2007 with the new ribbon interface). If that's true... I'd try this first. Rightclick on an empty spot on any of the toolbars. Cho...

formatting of txt file
Hi, Can anybody can help me in in formatting the below data for me The below data is coming in a txt file and i need the data in a excel file However when i put in excel i am not getting any structured form I need the Reference mentioned against the numeric value in the separate column as heading and the data below should come below the heading. I have tried, but i have to a lot of manual edit after formatting. 1.Emplyoee name bsdcbasdb hbvabfvas 2.Date 12-12-09 3.Address Dettails 12/2 main street City - bvauisdbc Pin code- 1100154 4. Department snbvsivnsvn oihbvis...

Script to count duplicate lines in a text file
We have a requirement to count the number of duplicate entries in a text file and then list the line and the number of duplicates. For example, we have a file call test.txt that has the following entries: A1 A1 B1 B2 B2 B2 B2 This would return the following: A1,2 B1,1 B2,4 Any assistance would be greatly appreciated Gadgetman schrieb: > We have a requirement to count the number of duplicate entries in a text file > and then list the line and the number of duplicates. For example, we have a > file call test.txt that has the following entries: > A1 > A1 ...

MnyBank : Ofc Ofx file conversion and Money import
Version 1.5.9 : bugs correction on Qif files Money 2005 do not accept any more Ofc files and the Ofx files delivered by my bank where invalid. So I write this program, it can be use to : - convert QIF, OFC files to OFX V1 (Money 2000->Money 2004) or OFX V2 (Money 2005, XML files) - convert OFX V2 files to OFXV1 - check transactions in files before send them in Money - archive bank transaction in a database (MS Acces format) This program is a freeware. It's a dotnet program, you have to install : 1- Framework .Net 1.1 2- MS Jet 4.0 3- MDAC 2.7 or greater 4- MnyBank GUI is in englis...

Executing change event with out tabbing off from a filed (DEX or VBA)
Hi, Scenario : A field in a GP form, I have my cursor in that field. When I enter data in to it, I need to split that string and insert the splitted string in to two text boxes (I will not be doing tab off from the field). EG: String which will be entered : 111112 I need to split the string into two strings string1 : 11111 string2 : 2 As soon as data entry is done the splitting should happen (to string1 and string2). And string2 , ie 2 should be inserted in to a field say quantity. If I enter data and do tab off from the field it is working fine. The requirement is ,as soon as data is ente...

Can an email be read without internet connection?
Am downloading an email to CD, but the computer I need the CD for has no internet connection at present. Can I read & print the email without access to internet? This is an HP notebook & the computer I need to read & print the CD in is an IBM Aptiva 247. Hula Girl wrote: > Am downloading an email to CD, but the computer I need the CD for has > no internet connection at present. Can I read & print the email > without access to internet? This is an HP notebook & the computer I > need to read & print the CD in is an IBM Aptiva 247. Not sure what you mean b...

Delete jpg file based on Access field contents
Hello, What would be the best way to have access delete a bunch of jpg's? I have two tables in mdb format, the main table has 36000 records. When I am done with a record, I move it to a Deleted Record table (using a query and a macro). There are about 1300 of the deleted records that have an associated jpg file. The file size is around 100k, so I have around 130 meg of files cluttering up my laptop. I will never look at the jpg's again. I know it's not a lot of space, but why not have some code get rid of them? So, should I use a button on a regularly accessed Fo...

File Transfer using vb.net code
Hi, I would like to transfer/move a file from one folder to other folder in shareopint site. That needs to be done using vb.net. Could you please prove the code for that? Regards, Balu Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice Dr. Dotnetsky's Cool .NET Tips and Tricks # 16 http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/960bc693-889f-46c1-9b0e-1b0a67d13ea5/dr-dotnetskys-cool-net.aspx So your asking someone on this list to do your work for you? For free? Sounds like you might want to get some consulting time. -- Daniel A. Galant Imagine what w...

how to get Outlook Express to continue after failing to read a newsgroup message
I use outlook express as a newsreader. Sometimes I want to get the entire server holdings of a particular newsgroup. Trouble is, OE seems to snag when it was able to read a message header but for some reason it can't retrieve the body. It snags with Outlook Express could not download the requested message. It is likely that the message was removed or expired from the server. Subject 'Simple security??', Account: 'news.nevrona.com', Server: 'news.nevrona.com', Protocol: NNTP, Port: 119, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800C006F and the only op...

Viewing 4 different graphs at once
HELP I have a workbook with 4 sheets. Each sheet has a graph on it. I want to show all 4 graphs on one sheet in a window pane environment. But I can't click on the chart and get it to allow me to do a Window - Split Any help would be greatly appreciatied Thank Kell Hi Kelly - Insert a blank worksheet. Right click on each chart in turn, select Location from the pop up menu, select the As Object option, and select the new sheet from the drop down list. When you've gotten all four charts onto the sheet, you can arrange them to your liking. If you hold down the Alt key while ...

Unable to make a pivot table in sheet2
Hi, Can someone pls check below code. I'm able to export a query from access to excel in file "Myfile.xls" sheet1 but unable to make a sheet2 with pivot table of sheet1 data. Option Compare Database Public Sub TransferReport() Dim varFileName As String Dim xlApp As Object Dim xlWb As Object Dim xlWs As Object Dim MyRange As String varFileName = "D:\MyFile.xls" 'EXPORT DATA DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acExport, acSpreadsheetTypeExcel9, "MONTH END REPORT", varFileName, False, "Sheet1" Set xlWb = ActiveWorkbook xlWb.Sheets.Ad...

Unable to create mailboxes
Two weeks ago we created and installed a new exchange 2003 server in mixed mode in a 2000 active directory enviroment. We are still using the existing exchange 2000 server as a relay server. Since the upgrade when I create a new account in ADUC I see the exchange email tab populates correctly but nothing shows up under Exchange Advance tab. I also dont see the user name in the GAL. I'm seeing 8270 and 9176 in the event viewier. Does exchange require that I install the system manager on all the DC? Thanks, -Michael ...

Problems with Money 2005 file in two different computers
I upgraded to Money 2005 from 2004 (have been doing this since Money 97 without a problem), installed Money 2005 on my notebook, updated it to be compatible with the one on my desktop... BUT now when I try to open my money file on the notebook I get this message: "The place you are trying to reach only functions in the Business version of Money, and can't be used in the version you are using now. If you want to use this place you will have to upgrade to Microsoft Money Small Business." What place???? I don't want to go any place!!! All I want to do is use my money file (it ...

does anyone have the excel 2003 tutorial 3 case 4 (ortitiz marine.
i am a college student and copied these cases and forgot page 142 of excel 2003. Ortitiz Marine Services case in tutorial 3. If you can help that would be great. I need steps 4-11. ...