unable to link from Access to excel named range error 3011

I have a list of xl workbook names in an Access table.

My code cycles through these names and finds them in a directory. This works
flawlessly. Now I want to find and name ranges in the workbooks, and link to
them from my Access db.

The process works for the first 2, then fails on the 3rd. I don't see what's
different about the 3rd

tblName	                                                   lclName
CellTxt	            RngNm
Active and Approved Pending Stores*.xls	    xlStores	        Location Code
Stores
Annualized Rent Batch*.xls	                  xlExtras	      Store Number
Extras
*PL detail*.xls	                                          xlPNL
Store #	            PNL

Here's my code (there is a dtLastUpld  and TBLID field in the table not
included above). The error says "...could not find the object 'PNL'". When I
look in the wkbk, there is a named range "PNL", but it's not available from
the drop-down box. When I go to Insert Names, the name is in the list with
the correct range address, but it doesn't appear in the drop-down, even after
I add it. This is a workbook generated by a 3rd party.

With rsTblNames
    .MoveFirst
    Do Until .EOF
        Set WkBk = XLobj.Workbooks.Open(strXLDir & Dir(strXLDir & .Fields
("tblName")))
        fName = strXLDir & WkBk.Name
        dtWkBk = WkBk.BuiltinDocumentProperties("Creation Date")
        If .Fields("dtLastUpld") < dtWkBk Then
            Set WkSht = WkBk.ActiveSheet
            wkshtName = WkSht.Name
            rngName = .Fields("RngNm")
            XLobj.Cells.Find(.Fields("CellTxt")).Activate
            XLobj.ReferenceStyle = xlR1C1
            rngAddress = ActiveCell.CurrentRegion.Address(ReferenceStyle:
=xlR1C1)
            WkBk.Names.Add Name:=rngName, RefersToR1C1:="=" & wkshtName & "!"
& rngAddress
            WkBk.Close True
            Set WkBk = Nothing
'*************HERE's WHERE IT CRAPS OUT WITH ERROR
3011*****************************************
            DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acLink, acSpreadsheetTypeExcel9, .
Fields("lclName"), fName, True, rngName
'********************************************************************************************************************
            dbLocal.Execute ("UPDATE tblXLNames SET dtLastUpld = #" & dtWkBk
& "# WHERE TBLID=" & .Fields("TBLID"))
        Else
            WkBk.Close True
            Set WkBk = Nothing
        End If
        .MoveNext
    Loop
    .Close
End With

Set rsTblNames = Nothing
Set WkSht = Nothing
Set WkBk = Nothing
Set XLobj = Nothing

--
Bill Reed

"If you can't laugh at yourself, laugh at somebody else"

ragtopcaddy
6/6/2008 6:25:56 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

NEVERMIND!!

I figured it out.

In the following line:

WkBk.Names.Add Name:=rngName, RefersToR1C1:="='" & wkshtName & "'!" &
rngAddress

You will have to look carefully to see it, but I added single quotes here: '"
& wkshtName & "', before and after wkshtName. That enabled the creation of
the named range. The sheet name has to be enclosed in single quotes, as in
'PNL Data' for the Names.Add procedure to work for those names that have a
space or other character. I don't know what these folks are going to name
their worksheets, so I have to accommodate everything.

Boy is my face RED! ;-)

--
Bill Reed

"If you can't laugh at yourself, laugh at somebody else"

ragtopcaddy

Reporting from Project Server

Looking for Excel Help

New to excel