unable to add row to Excel 2007 TABLE

Hello.

I have recently started exploring the Excel 2007 "table" feature and
have discovered that you cannot add a new row to a locked worksheet.

OBJECTIVE
- using Excel 2007, enable user to add rows to table by pressing the
tab key
- using Excel 2007 security: prevent a user from modifying a formula
contained within a table cell

STEPS TO REPRODUCE
a. create a new Excel 2007 work sheet
b. enter the following data such that colum B *basically* mirrors
column A
A1: TitleA
A2: hello
A3: world
B1: =A2
B2: =A3
c. highlight cells A1 to B3
d. Insert -> Table -> OK
e. now... if you go to B4 and press TAB, Excel will automatically
create an new row

(so far so good)

f. Ctrl+A (to highlight all cells)
g. right click: format cells
h. protection tab
i. uncheck "Locked" (so it is now unlocked)
j. click the ColumnB header/button to select the entire ColumnB
g. right click: format cells
h. protection tab
i. check "Locked" (so it is now locked)
j. click "review" tab -> protect sheet -> select all available options
k. now... if you to B4 and press TAB, Excel WILL NOT automatically
create an new row

Is it possible to set the permissions in such a way that the add new
row feature (see e. above) will still work?

Any insight you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
0
wakazula (3)
7/13/2010 8:10:01 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 13:10:01 -0700 (PDT), Wakazula <wakazula@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Hello.
>
>I have recently started exploring the Excel 2007 "table" feature and
>have discovered that you cannot add a new row to a locked worksheet.
>
>OBJECTIVE
>- using Excel 2007, enable user to add rows to table by pressing the
>tab key
>- using Excel 2007 security: prevent a user from modifying a formula
>contained within a table cell
>
>STEPS TO REPRODUCE
>a. create a new Excel 2007 work sheet
>b. enter the following data such that colum B *basically* mirrors
>column A
>A1: TitleA
>A2: hello
>A3: world
>B1: =A2
>B2: =A3
>c. highlight cells A1 to B3
>d. Insert -> Table -> OK
>e. now... if you go to B4 and press TAB, Excel will automatically
>create an new row
>
>(so far so good)
>
>f. Ctrl+A (to highlight all cells)
>g. right click: format cells
>h. protection tab
>i. uncheck "Locked" (so it is now unlocked)
>j. click the ColumnB header/button to select the entire ColumnB
>g. right click: format cells
>h. protection tab
>i. check "Locked" (so it is now locked)
>j. click "review" tab -> protect sheet -> select all available options
>k. now... if you to B4 and press TAB, Excel WILL NOT automatically
>create an new row
>
>Is it possible to set the permissions in such a way that the add new
>row feature (see e. above) will still work?
>
>Any insight you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

  Use some logic. The answer is no, IF the data is locked.

 So, you must develop a routine where you unlock it, add the row, and
then relock it, if you still have whatever security concern you had
before with whomever it is you are worried about adding rows to unlocked
tables.
@CellShocked

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my inquiry.

My primary objective here is to:

take advantage of all the features offered by "Excel 2007 Tables"
AND
protect a formula in one column from being edited

I thought this would be fairly straight forward to do, but have been
unable to make it work.

> =A0 Use some logic. The answer is no, IF the data is locked.
>
> =A0So, you must develop a routine where you unlock it,addtherow, and
> then relock it, if you still have whatever security concern you had
> before with whomever it is you are worried about adding rows to unlocked
> tables.- Hide quoted text -

wakazula (3)
7/14/2010 3:06:43 PM
It seems others have had at the same problem:
http://www.sqldrill.com/excel/miscellaneous-excel-subjects/1024627-protecting-formulas-tables.html

Here are a few proposed work arounds:

1. basically do nothing: don't try to protect forumlas in an Excel
table
2. populate the table with a number of blank rows
3. write a macro that automatically manages security for you

SOURCE CODE BY Roger Govier

Dim tr As Long
tr = Target.Row
If Target.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub
If tr = 1 Then Exit Sub
If Target.Column <> 1 Then Exit Sub
ActiveSheet.Unprotect
ActiveSheet.ListObjects("Table2").Resize Range("$A$1:$D" & tr)
Range(Cells(tr + 1, "A"), Cells(tr + 1, "B")).Locked = False
ActiveSheet.Protect
End Sub

To install
Copy code as above
Right click on sheet tab>View Code
Paste code into white pane that appears
Alt+F11 to return to Excel
0
wakazula (3)

Excel button problem

Excel 97 #9

projecting the notes pages in PPT 2007

Unable to delete empty database

Voice connector on Exchange server 2007.

hide a row
I have a worksheet with information in column A and B. If Column B has no information I want to do nothing, but if there is something in Column B, I would like to hide the row. Is this possable in an if statement? Hi not possible with a formula. This would require VBA -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Bob" <bobolah@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:OSOK8hisEHA.2556@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > I have a worksheet with information in column A and B. > > If Column B has no information I want to do nothing, but if there is > something in Column B, ...

Looking for Excel Help

New to excel

Auto transfer of row
I have a list of components to be ordered in each row is a cell with order number entered in it. What I want is to copy the row to anothe sheet (which is to be displayed at goods) when the order number i entered in that cell. Is this possible? many thanks for any help -- alanle ----------------------------------------------------------------------- alanled's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3094 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=57297 this could be acheived by using VLOOKUP function. if you want a perfect soluti...

Pivot Table Question #5

learning Excel #3

outlook 2007 e-mail

Excel VBA