Transposing data

Howdy All,

I receive some prospecting data in a format where:

Column A
Odds rows contain client name:  John Q. Public
Even rows contain salesman name:  Assigned to Alfred E. Newman

Column B
Odds rows contain location information: Northeast
Even rows contain various data to be deleted.

What I want to have as an end results would be:

Column A
Only client name

Column B
Only salesman name

Column C
Location information

I need to:
1) Leave data in Column A odds rows
2) transpose data from Column A even rows to Column B
3) delete data in even rows in column B
4) transpose data from Column B odd rows to Column C
5) delete even rows (which will be empty after completing 1-4)

Hope I am clear on the objectives.

Thanks a million!

Brian

0
treddderx (33)
7/8/2005 1:41:55 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

I'd probably put in a helper column (1) with the following

=mod(row(),2)

Once it's in place, I'd copy and paste special with values.

I'd put in another helper column (2) with =row() and once in place, copy and
paste special with values.

I'd sort by the helper column 1 and insert a cell to the left of the data
that you want in the "second column" for that data only.

I'd then sort by helper column 2 and delete the top empty cell in the "2nd
column".

Try that on a copy of your document and come back and let me know if it's
what you want.

"Brian" <treddderx@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Howdy All,
>
> I receive some prospecting data in a format where:
>
> Column A
> Odds rows contain client name:  John Q. Public
> Even rows contain salesman name:  Assigned to Alfred E. Newman
>
> Column B
> Odds rows contain location information: Northeast
> Even rows contain various data to be deleted.
>

> What I want to have as an end results would be:
>
> Column A
> Only client name
>
> Column B
> Only salesman name
>
> Column C
> Location information
>
> I need to:
> 1) Leave data in Column A odds rows
> 2) transpose data from Column A even rows to Column B
> 3) delete data in even rows in column B
> 4) transpose data from Column B odd rows to Column C
> 5) delete even rows (which will be empty after completing 1-4)
>
> Hope I am clear on the objectives.
>
> Thanks a million!
>
> Brian

0
breinhardt (272)
7/8/2005 2:02:38 PM
Before doing anything I suggested before, insert a column between your
existing column A and B.   Then try what I suggested before.
"Brian" <treddderx@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Howdy All,
>
> I receive some prospecting data in a format where:
>
> Column A
> Odds rows contain client name:  John Q. Public
> Even rows contain salesman name:  Assigned to Alfred E. Newman
>
> Column B
> Odds rows contain location information: Northeast
> Even rows contain various data to be deleted.
>

> What I want to have as an end results would be:
>
> Column A
> Only client name
>
> Column B
> Only salesman name
>
> Column C
> Location information
>
> I need to:
> 1) Leave data in Column A odds rows
> 2) transpose data from Column A even rows to Column B
> 3) delete data in even rows in column B
> 4) transpose data from Column B odd rows to Column C
> 5) delete even rows (which will be empty after completing 1-4)
>
> Hope I am clear on the objectives.
>
> Thanks a million!
>
> Brian

0
breinhardt (272)
7/8/2005 2:07:43 PM
Thanks Barb.

I will give it a try, but probably not until Monday.

"Barb Reinhardt" <breinhardt@replytonewsgroup.com> wrote in message
> Before doing anything I suggested before, insert a column between your
> existing column A and B.   Then try what I suggested before.
> "Brian" <treddderx@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Howdy All,
>>
>> I receive some prospecting data in a format where:
>>
>> Column A
>> Odds rows contain client name:  John Q. Public
>> Even rows contain salesman name:  Assigned to Alfred E. Newman
>>
>> Column B
>> Odds rows contain location information: Northeast
>> Even rows contain various data to be deleted.
>>

>> What I want to have as an end results would be:
>>
>> Column A
>> Only client name
>>
>> Column B
>> Only salesman name
>>
>> Column C
>> Location information
>>
>> I need to:
>> 1) Leave data in Column A odds rows
>> 2) transpose data from Column A even rows to Column B
>> 3) delete data in even rows in column B
>> 4) transpose data from Column B odd rows to Column C
>> 5) delete even rows (which will be empty after completing 1-4)
>>
>> Hope I am clear on the objectives.
>>
>> Thanks a million!
>>
>> Brian

0
treddderx (33)
7/8/2005 7:55:00 PM
If the functions in the freely downloadable file at
http:/home.pacbell.net are available to your workbook, then assuming
your data begins in Cell A1 on Sheet6, enter the following in Cells A1,
B1, C1, respectively, of Sheet 7 and fill down:

=(INDEX(ArrayAlternates(Sheet6!A$1:A$10),ROW(A1)))
=RIGHT(INDEX(ArrayAlternates(Sheet6!A$1:A$10,FALSE),ROW(A1)),LEN(INDEX(ArrayAlternates(Sheet6!A$1:A$10,FALSE),ROW(A1)))-12)
=(INDEX(ArrayAlternates(Sheet6!B$1:B$10),ROW(A1)))

Alan Beban

Brian wrote:
> Thanks Barb.
>
> I will give it a try, but probably not until Monday.
>

> "Barb Reinhardt" <breinhardt@replytonewsgroup.com> wrote in message
>
>>Before doing anything I suggested before, insert a column between your
>>existing column A and B.   Then try what I suggested before.
>>"Brian" <treddderx@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Howdy All,
>>>
>>>I receive some prospecting data in a format where:
>>>
>>>Column A
>>>Odds rows contain client name:  John Q. Public
>>>Even rows contain salesman name:  Assigned to Alfred E. Newman
>>>
>>>Column B
>>>Odds rows contain location information: Northeast
>>>Even rows contain various data to be deleted.
>>>

>>>What I want to have as an end results would be:
>>>
>>>Column A
>>>Only client name
>>>
>>>Column B
>>>Only salesman name
>>>
>>>Column C
>>>Location information
>>>
>>>I need to:
>>>1) Leave data in Column A odds rows
>>>2) transpose data from Column A even rows to Column B
>>>3) delete data in even rows in column B
>>>4) transpose data from Column B odd rows to Column C
>>>5) delete even rows (which will be empty after completing 1-4)
>>>
>>>Hope I am clear on the objectives.
>>>
>>>Thanks a million!
>>>
>>>Brian

0
unavailable (273)
7/8/2005 9:31:18 PM
Alan Beban wrote...
>If the functions in the freely downloadable file at
>http:/home.pacbell.net are available to your workbook, then assuming
>your data begins in Cell A1 on Sheet6, enter the following in Cells A1,
>B1, C1, respectively, of Sheet 7 and fill down:
>
>=(INDEX(ArrayAlternates(Sheet6!A$1:A$10),ROW(A1)))

>=RIGHT(INDEX(ArrayAlternates(Sheet6!A$1:A$10,FALSE),ROW(A1)),
>LEN(INDEX(ArrayAlternates(Sheet6!A$1:A$10,FALSE),ROW(A1)))-12)

>=(INDEX(ArrayAlternates(Sheet6!B$1:B$10),ROW(A1)))

And these are more straightforward than

=INDEX(Sheet6!$A$1:$B$10,2*ROWS(A$1:A1)-1,1)

=INDEX(Sheet6!$A$1:$B$10,2*ROWS(A$1:A1),1)

=INDEX(Sheet6!$A$1:$B$10,2*ROWS(A$1:A1)-1,2)

how?!

0
hrlngrv (1990)

Pivot Table Source Data
I have an existing Pivot Table that usually updates daily, albeit this relies someone in the office refreshing the data. Anyway we seem to have missed one days data and thought we would be clever and just include the days missing data back into the source data. In effect we are putting the 8th September data between the 7th and the 9th. However no matter what we do the data from the 8th ends up as the last column in the pivot table. Are we missing something really simple here or has my brain turned to mush? thanks for the help in advance. Bryan P.S I also tried creating a dynamic range but ...

EXCEL tabular data extract
Hi all! Hi have a excel file with the next kind of data: T�TULO MINORISTA NOMBRE XXXXXXXXX CENT./SUC. RRRRRRRR DIRECCI�N TTTTTTTT LOCALIDAD VVVVVVVVVVV PROVINCIA SSSSSSSSSSS C.P. 11111 TEL�FONO 4323543543654364 FAX 435435454543543543 T�TULO MINORISTA NOMBRE XXXXXXXXX CENT./SUC. RRRRRRRR DIRECCI�N TTTTTTTT LOCALIDAD VVVVVVVVVVV PROVINCIA SSSSSSSSSSS C.P. 11111 TEL�FONO 4323543543654364 FAX 435435454543543543 I want to extract all the faxes from that table, bu the problem is that all...

how do i create an office data connection file
i want to call a parameterized data connection. i want to eventually put this in office sharepoint server 2007's data connection library. every time i open the connection file i have successfully created that connects to the db, it want me to pick a table. i can cancel out of that and change it to sql and say to use a procedure, but i can't save this file, and the "Edit Query..." and "Parameters..." buttons are disabled so i can't set parameters. why is it so hard to work with this thing? thanks ...

Stripping Blank Characters form Imported Data
I am trying to verify 2 worksheets full of data. One has been imported from Visual Basic and the other from Business Object. The Business object sheet, brings over the entire field not just the charaters needed. Example: For the city field there are 50 characters available. If you use Nashville, the Business Object brings over 50 characters where the Visual Basic brings over 9. When trying to find descrepancies, this brings back a false positive if the city is the same. Is there a way to manipulate that data when it is sent to Excel? The easiest way to deal with this would be to find...

Data Tables
In Excel 2000, must data tables (Data\Tables...) always be located on the same worksheet tab as the source data? I want to put summary tables into a separate worksheet (tab), but Excel won't let me do that. Steve Looks that way, at least in Excel97 (my ver) But we could always mirror the data tables (or parts thereof) elsewhere (eg: another sheet) via simple link formulas -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- Singapore, GMT+8 xdemechanik http://savefile.com/projects/236895 -- "Steve D" <sdrenker_(you_know_what_here)_media.sj.nec.com> wrote in message news:ufhMsZfyFHA.3804@TK2MSFTNGP10....

Data Validation problem #5
hi I think that is a different solution entirely - in that example yo gave me it is a simple case of choosing one list and that then sets th range for list 2, however the second set of lists are all individual my requirement is that the validation picks the required items out o just ONE list, whereas in the example you needed to maintain individua lists each of which was dependant on the first selection -- moosife ----------------------------------------------------------------------- moosifer's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1590 View this threa...

How do I limit labels in chart legend to only a portion of data?
I am hoping to get a chart that includes four lines of data, but with only two of the line labels for the data showing up in the chart legend. The two lines that I want excluded are just straight bars that will include a text box within the chart as their label, but I have run into problems with simply slapping a line on the chart as it does not move around when we scale up or down the two axes. Is there a way to get the legend to only show the label identifiers with only the two sets of data that I want shown? Thank you Hi, The legend displays an entry for each series in the chart....

delete data #2
Hello, we have CRM v3 installed in a test evironment. we have added test data for customers, products. we have created oppurtunities to invoices. we would like to delete all of this data. is there a way to do it without uninsalling and reinstalling the software? cheers, Michael. Try to delete via the UI from Advanced Find. For some of the object (Order, Invoices, Quote, etc.), depending on status some of these records cannot be deleted. Frank Lee, Microsoft CRM MVP http://microsoft-crm.spaces.live.com http://www.workopia.com/Links.htmTry "Michael P. Lindekugel" wrote:...

Merge data
..Net 2003 C# I get xml from a sql database pull. I put the data into a XMLDomDocument and then the user changes it. I now need to update the database correctly. I need to be able to get the data back correctly including add, change and delete to the original data. When I pull the data from the db, I store a copy in a Dataset. So I end up with a Dataset (original data) and an XML DOM Document with the changed data. I would appreciate knowing how to do this correctly. I understand that the DataSet.Merge does not work for some of this. Is there an example? thank you If you keep the dat...

Formatting number in Data Table
I am using Excel 2007. I have a spreadsheet that the figures can be negative or positve. I have formatted the cells with this custom format $#,##0;[Red]$-#,##0. On the spreadsheet the format works fine. I created a chart from the data. I have a data table at the bottom of the chart. The problem is that the format from the spreadsheet is not reflected in the data table. When I click on Format Data Table, there is no option for number formatting. There is a number formatting option available when i click Format Axis, but this doesn't change it, because the actual axis is Text. Is th...

Copying Data From SQL Into Excel
When I copy a range of data from SQL and paste it into Excel, the data doesn't appear to be available for formulas - in this case a VLOOKUP formula. However, once I click in the formula bar (as if to edit the data) then hit "return" the data is "magically" available for the VLOOKUP formula. It seems to me to be a format problem, but changing the format of the data doesn't help. Could this be related to similar issues when copying data from Access into Excel? Are there any workarounds? It sounds similar to the Access problem. Instead of pasting, you can ...

master list for auto complete data?
Is it possible to have a master list, in my case it's of names, in a workbook that excel will use for auto complete data for that workbook? Thanks Hi Tangy Go to "Tools>Auto Correct Options", select the "Auto Correct" tab and enter the abbreviated items and full names for those items you want Excel to replace. Ensure the relevant boxes are ticked. -- XL2002 Regards William willwest22@yahoo.com "Tangy" <t a n g y@rogers.com> wrote in message news:_OqdnbKPa7IShELcRVn-jQ@rogers.com... | Is it possible to have a master list, in my case it'...

Data from non-adjacent cells as input for Linest
Hi, I would like to use data as input for Linest that is in the following cells: known y: A1 to A3, A10 to A12 known x: B1 to B3, B10 to B12 I have the feeling that this is almost answered in the following posts, but I do not understand it: http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.excel/browse_thread/thread/fe4463f591797f44/4061a15313417929?lnk=gst&q=linest+#4061a15313417929 Regards, David ...

copy and match data from one worksheet into another via script?
Hi all I have two worksheets 2 columns each The first sheet has ID and Name Column for example: Code ------------------- ID[/B] NAM 193948 Michael 684588 John 535279 Luke 098734 Matthe ------------------- my 2nd sheet Code ------------------- ID [B]NAM Michael John Luke Matthe ------------------- How do i use the first sheet to match up the names on the 2nd sheet and ultimately copy the ID numbers onto the 2nd sheet? This is just a simplified example. There are thousands of entries. Thank you if you have ...

how to deal with duplicate data rows
I need to interface with a program that generates a .csv file with row of data. It generates 2 or more rows for each instance uniquely identified by the docket/page combination Example: last first bank trustee docket page smith john ny bank (blank field) 12235 8907 (blank field) (blank field) cal western 12235 8907 smith janet ny bank (blank field) 12235 8907 I need to consolidate all three lines into one row by concating field that contain different data (first name column) and columns with blan spaces to look like the ...

Merge & Sort Dynamic Lists w/ Data Validation
First off, let me say thanks to the Excel Usenet community that has helped me over and over through these newsgroups. You are phenomenal. Question 1: I need to create a BOTH box that will dynamically pull names from both the "Chicago Office" & "Seattle Office" columns in my sheet. It is extremely preferable to do this without VB Script if possible to avoid the security warnings on opening the sheet. (Our IT department will not budge on this..) Detail: I have two lists of employees. Column A lists the Chicago Office employees. Column B lists the Seattle Office employee...

Importing data from an excel file
I have an excel file with contact data for customers. Now I want to import it into CRM 3.0. I use the guide but I am stuck at the manual import i.e. populate CDF at step 5 in the data migration framework application. Do I have to go to the SQL server and select the database and import into the contacts table? I am really sorry for the newbie question.. /Jonas Hi Jonas, You will indeed need to populate the CDF tables. You can do this via several ways of which using SSIS is my personal favorite. Hope this helps, -- Ronald Lemmen - MSCRM MVP Avanade Netherlands http://ronaldlemmen.blog...

Passing data to DLL problem
Hi, my application uses a callback function in a dll. This function must notify the main application when it is called, through a SendMessage api call. So i've created a global variable in the dll, named parent: HWND parent; LRESULT CALLBACK MyFunction(...........) { ......................... SendMessage(parent, ....................); } in the main application i set the dll variable: HWND * wnd; wnd = (HWND *) GetProcAddress(hinstDLL, "parent"); *wnd = hWnd; this works fine if i use the parent variable it in a normal dll function, but in the callback MyFunction parent resu...

Adding a total row to a chart data table
I have the following data in a chart Week 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Data1 1 5 7 6 1 6 7 6 Data2 3 4 5 7 9 4 6 6 Is it possible to have the data table show a totals row? I.E: Totals 4 9 12 13 10 10 13 12 Thanks in advance, John You can't include the total in the data table. As a workaround, you could embed the chart on a worksheet, and display the data below it. Tushar Mehta has instructions on his web site: http://tushar-mehta.com/excel/newsgroups/data_table/index.htm John Ortt wrote: > I have the following data in a chart > > Week 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Data1 1 5 7 6 1 6 7 6...

how do I set up spread sheet for demographical data to get graph.
I need to set up a spread sheet to be able to get age, sex,service usage numbers, site utilisation, presenting issue e.g., drug and alcohol, region, percentage of use base on population e.g, 80 staff DoHi, Do you want to show these results graphically, or in the form of some sort of output table? Dave url:http://www.ureader.com/msg/10355820.aspx How are you intending to get the data or enter the data into this sheet? How many worksheets or tables will you need? What is the final display options: Examples, Reports, Charts, Pivot = table? And lastly who are the end users, and how do they...

get data form cells sequentially
Hi there, I have a spreadsheet i am creating which is giving me some amount o hassle!!! I'm sure it is possible to do this but i just cant figure ou how:- I have one worksheet which has many copies of the same table, eac table is consistantly ontop of the other i.e. first table uses cells A - G10 (a rectangle of cells). The dates i am trying to use are in a pattern of a nine row seperatio i.e. first date is in cell G2, next one is G11, next one G20, and s on. I need to find out how i can make a formula which i could copy whic would grab the date out of these cells in sequence for pl...

Restriction on appending data to custom fields on Account Form?
I'm having problems appending data to a custom field on the Account Form. However, the code works perfectly on a custom form, I've made. Btw, the ONLOAD code is: crmForm.all.fieldname.DataValue = 'Text'; On the custom form, the field is filled with the word Text, but on the Account form, nothing happens. Is there some kind of restriction on the account form, and if so - is it possible to remove this restriction? Thanks btw, another example to illustrate the problem: I use this code... window.moveTo(0,0); window.resizeTo(screen.availWidth, screen.availHeight); ....to...

Filtering data on subforms
How can I filter data in a subform? The subform is a datasheet linked to a parent form (field) thanks! Alberto R. On Fri, 8 Jun 2007 22:37:14 -0500, "Alberto Rios" <albertorios1@aol.com> wrote: >How can I filter data in a subform? >The subform is a datasheet linked to a parent form (field) Base the subform on a Query selecting the records you want to see. John W. Vinson [MVP] ...

Importing Data into Existing Pivot Tables ?
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to *import data into an existin pivot table *(possibly from a excel spreadsheet(refresh) or with query to a Access database table) **I need to do this daily with pivot table if possible ! Thanks in advance ! J -- jman55 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- jman559's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2945 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=49157 ...

Query: Link data between worksheets?
I'm trying to find a shortcut to save me some time. This is the problem: I'm setting up a master worksheet, and 30 to 40 "slave" worksheets tha need to run off it (all within the same workbook). The slave worksheet all retrieve data from the master. The data is setup to run across i rows (i.e. Row 1 contains 1 record). Each record has an individua identification number entered in column A. Is there a way that I can tell the slave sheets to copy an entire row based purely on the identification number entered in column A? Thanks in advance if anyone can help, as this could ...