too many different formatting cells

I can't open an excel document because whem I try to open it says that too
many different formatting cells.

How to resolve this and open this document?
0
jo2627 (60)
5/19/2006 4:16:02 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Maybe...

XL: Error Message: Too Many Different Cell Formats

A few people have said that OpenOffice.Org has been able to open the file.  Then
they clean it up and save it there.  Then excel can open that cleaned up
version.

http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-104 meg download or a CD

--

Dave Peterson
0

cell formatting in excel
all cells in excel 2003 are now accepting only 1 character, alpha or numeric when I go to type 2003 , for instance, the 2 shows, but then when I try to add the 0, the 2 disappears. ...

Changing Tabs to Specific Cells
Is there a way to change the tab names (20 of them) to the cells in say A1:A20? When the names are changed in the cells, I need the tabs names to reflect what the cells reflect. Darren- Place this code in the appropriate sheet module: Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Dim rng As Range Set rng = Me.[A1:A20] If Target.Row > ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets.Count Then Exit Sub On Error GoTo ErrHandler Sheets(Target.Row).Name = Target.Value Exit Sub ErrHandler: MsgBox "Invalid sheet name. Try again." Target.Select End Sub --- HTH Jason Atlanta, GA "Dar...

find format syntax
Dear experts, I have a macro trying to look for a value in a range with a specific format (there may be other cells containing the same value however I want to have the one written in blue only). I am not able to find the right syntax for this... Set p = ShC.Range("a1:A" & LastRow).Find(what:=ShC.Cells(h, 1).Value, lookat:=xlWhole, LookIn:=xlValues, SearchFormat:=?????) Where the criteria is that the found cell must have .Font.ColorIndex = 5 Many thanks as usual for your great help Kind regards -- Valeria Record a macro when you do thi...

cell references
I hope I can explain this so that it makes sense.......... I have one sheet (sheet1) with several rows and columns. There are two different sets of data that goes in these columns, depending on different circumstances. I duplicated the table that the first set of data is in to enter the second set. In order to change between the data, I copy the first set, paste it to another place on the sheet, then copy and paste the second set in it's place. That's not a problem....But, I have a second sheet (sheet2), that multiplies the data on sheet1 and displays the result there. The form...

"Auto tabbing" to a certain cell
Hi, I hope I explaining this right. There is a form at work that needs data entered into certain fields. The fields are all over the page (very much like a tax form) and cannot be lined up in a row. Is there a way I can automatically jump from one cell to another by hitting the tab button once? Example: The first cell that needs to be entered is G4. From there I want to be able to tab and be in M4. After that I would like to hit tab and be in D6, ect. It seems to me that there has to be a way to do this. I hope someone knows how. Thanks, Eddie --- Message posted from http://ww...

cell reference
I have information in a row each in different columns ( age, address, name....). This kind of rows I have 100. I try to do a Letter. How can I use cell reference so that I can draw other letters with mouse. The problem is empty rows in the letter, excel count these rows and I will loose about 50 letters. my Information cells: A1 B1 C1 D1 .. .. A100 B100 C100 D100 My letter area is about 9 columns and 20 rows. In this area I use cell referenses to the Information row. When I drag the first letter area to create the second excel will take information on 20 row belover. I l...

How: Setting UTF8 as an application wide text encoding format
XmlTextReader myXmlReader = new XmlTextReader(args[0]); string en = myXmlReader.Encoding.EncodingName; //Console.WriteLine(x); Error: Unhandled Exception: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. HOW CAN I GET THE ENCODING NAME ? Basically determine the encoding type. Also How can I "set" an application wide Encoding ? I want all modules and everything to stick to and conform to UTF- 8. But somehow some methods automatically go to UTF-16 xmlguy, 1) What's args[0] in your example? Does it contain any Xml? In that case you first...

Excel (2000/2002) Slow to Save files with Many Worksheets
I have some files with nearly 200 worksheets, about 2.5 Mb (Not much data in each) which open in a fraction of a second (local drive on my new laptop), but take 20 seconds to save. I've checked all the FAQs and advice and tried everything. Still 20 seconds. I deleted all the names and data. Still 20 seconds. So I created a new blank workbook and just added 200 empty sheets. Not as bad - 7 seconds, but still outrageously slow. What in heaven's name is Excel doing all that time? If anyone could enlighten me I would be extremely grateful, especially if there is a way around the problem t...

Emails in TEXT format wrap at around 53 characters.
I have noticed that when I send emails in plain text format they end up being wrapped at around the 53rd character on the receiving end. I mailed tests to yahoo, gmail, and msn accounts, and they all get reformatted as above when sent via Outlook. The only version that is not wrapping is the copy in my Outlook Sent folder. I noticed that my Outlook inbox is full of plain text email that others have sent me and they DO NOT wrap at a fixed line width (but are still denoted as being in plain text format). Instead they 'free wrap' to the size of the window. So it does not seem to be ...

Update date & time in a cell only when worksheet is changed
I have a workbook with multiple worksheets. I'd like to have the time & date in a cell in each worksheet update only when information in that worksheet is changed. I don't change each worksheet each time I use the workbook. I tried =NOW(), but it changes the time and date in each worksheet. Hi, You need code for that. ALT+F11 to open VB editor. Double click 'ThisWorkbook and paste the code below in on the right. Change the cell to the one you want Private Sub Workbook_SheetChange(ByVal Sh As Object, ByVal Target As Range) Application.EnableEvents = False Act...

Format 8.3568 into: 8 years, 4 months, 8 days, 10 hours, 45 minute
Hello, How can I format the number 8.3568 into: 8 years, 4 months, 8 days, 10 hours, 45 minutes and 7 seconds? Thank you! On Feb 11, 3:56=A0pm, igorin <igo...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hello, > > How can I format the number 8.3568 into: > > 8 years, 4 months, 8 days, 10 hours, 45 minutes and 7 seconds? > > Thank you! How does that number relate to the details you've specified? BW Matt http://teachr.blogspot.com To further explain, what follows is the logic behind it: original number: 3,050.232 which equals to: years: 3,0...

Different Vista product keys on sticker and via Jelly Bean
Using Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder v2.0 http://www.magicaljellybean.com/ , I get a Vista product key that's completely different than the one on the sticker on the Toshiba L505D-S5965 laptop. It's very unlikely Windows was reinstalled, but I am not the first owner. Is that the only explanation? ~ Nehmo Big manufacturers (called OEM's) have a single key for each model they make. Such Windows are preactivated and the end user does not need to activate again. However, if the machine fails in such a way that the replacement of motherboard is required and a different (...

VBA
I have a program that allows the user to insert additional revenue an expense lines. However, whenever a new row is inserted my formulas ar thrown off. How do I make a cell constant. Example C11/C14 ...... when ever I insert a new row C14 becomes C15 and I nee the formula to change accordingly. Any ideas..thanks -- bforster ----------------------------------------------------------------------- bforster1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1177 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26125 if you're trying to ma...

database differences between 2003 and 2002
currently using version 2002 EA (obtained end of year 2001 i think). we use it for database modeling, or just started actually. Want to know if there are any new features or major bug fixes in the 2003 version for db modeling mostly. also, does it have all the db modeling that the 2002 EA version has? It seems that EA is no longer and that only Pro is the version for 2k3. Could not find a 2002/2003 comparison on the ms site. v2002ea was renamed to v2003ea with no significant changes other than the name. Al "Jeff" <jm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1f...

Cannot copy the merge cells into another sheet
hi I m a new user of excel. Recently i have working on excel.When this problem occurs. My problem is that I have a data in one sheet. Which has cities wise data.And some cells are merge. I have to copy the one city (NEW DELHI) data into another sheet. I make the autofilter in the sheet and find the city i:e NEW DELHI Now the problem started with me is that when i copy the filter data an ERROR MESSAGE DISPLAY:- CANNOT CHANGE THE PART OF A MERGE CELL. Is it possible to copy and then paste into another sheet this type of data.Without unmerge the cell. Because it is not possible to me first...

Loseing Formatting in Workspace
When I open a worksheet in a workspace, if I have formatted the sheet with then Freeze Pane option it will not be their in the Workspace. Some settings aren't saved in a workspace. There's information in the following MSKB: Split or Frozen Panes Not Saved in Workspace http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=113803 Bob wrote: > When I open a worksheet in a workspace, if I have > formatted the sheet with then Freeze Pane option it will > not be their in the Workspace. -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

Copy referral $ sign to other cells
Hi, I have a scenario here but I am not sure how to do it. I have a spreadsheet here. For example: The cell 1 value is =$A1$b2 and the cell value for other cells are other misc formulas similar to cell 1 without the dollar sign..say example: =B6O5 How can I copy the $ referral sign and paste it to other cells and made everything into =$X$Y format without having to manually add it on every cell? Thanks Billy Hi not possible with a format. This would require a macro -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Billy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbei...

Tabbing between fields (not cells)
I've got several field items such as combo boxes, text boxes, etc. I know I've seen this done. How can I set these up so that I can use the Tab key to go from one field to the next? Thanks, Paul ...

Copy/Move Email to Calendar formatting
I use these functions every day. Annoyance is that most of the email text comes over with lots of extra line spacing. Other than pasting into Word first and stripping the extra, is there something in Outlook I'm missing? Using Office & Outlook 2003 on an Exchange server. Julie No, you aren't missing anything. The message body uses HTML and the appointment uses RTF. Are you dragging the message to the calendar or opening the appointment and copying/pasting the message body into it? I tend to see better results with the copy and paste, although it also depends on th...

Fractions in 16ths format
I have data in millimeters and converting in aanother cell to inch fractions in 16ths format (result must be in 16 increments). How do I reduce to LCD - I do not want to see 8/16 but do want 1/2. -- Thanks, Derek You have an answer elsewhere. -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Derek" <Derek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:91AF8F2C-E935-4B2E-83E0-59E453BFE6C8@microsoft.com... > I have data in millimeters and converting in aanother cell to inch fractions > in 16ths format (result must be in 16 increments). How do ...

Case number format
Hi: There are a way to change the format of case number (ticketnumber attributes). This is the auto-generated case number. Example: From CAS-01001-R4JCBU to INFO-01001 By the way What the meaning of the letter at the end of the case number (CAS-01001-R4JCBU)? Regards -- Jose Valentin Rodriguez MCP-GP MCBMSS-GP You can change the behavior in the settings section - organization settings - auto numbers ... (sorry I don´t have the system right in front of me - this was from my mind) Best regards "Valentin PR MCP-GP MCBMSS-GP" wrote: > Hi: > There are a way to cha...

formatting cells
Hi, I am trying to format cells that contain dollars in millions and make it decimal. i.e $1,500,000 would show $1.5 and the head of the table would say "Dollar Value in Millions" any ideas? Thanks Custom Format $0.0,, That's two commas after second 0 Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 13:14:06 -0700 (PDT), pat67 <pbuscio@comcast.net> wrote: >Hi, I am trying to format cells that contain dollars in millions and >make it decimal. i.e $1,500,000 would show $1.5 and the head of the >table would say "Dollar Value in Millions" ...

3 cell formula
Hi I would like to put a name in B1(Tony) that triggers a total that i get in G26(43)and have the total in G26 (43) come up in cell L6.Changing the name 8 times with G26 number total for each going in L6,L7,L8 and so on. Thanks for any help Karl Half the fun of answering questions in this forum is answering the question. The other half, is the sense of accomplishment in knowing you actually figured out what the OP asked in the first place! I have lost all feelings of accomplishment, pertaining to this question. -- Regards, RD ---------------------------------------------------------------...

Trouble entering formula into cell
I wrote a macro to reformat a report. As it goes from row to row rearranging the data from the report, there are some cells where I need the code to enter a formula into the cell. However, when it hits that part I keep getting error 1004 - application or user-defined error. Here is the portion of the code that gives me fits: Range("H" & Count + 2).Value = Range("F" & Count + 6).Value Range("I" & Count + 2).Value = "" Range("J" & Count + 2).Formula = "=IF(I" & Count + 2 & ...

In Excel, I cannot move my cursor to another cell with arrow keys
In Excel, I cannot move my cursor to another cell with arrow keys. What do I do about this? Make sure Scroll Lock is not activated. -- Best Regards, Luke M "bill" <bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3FF476E4-D191-4EBD-9C7F-2903F9C7D147@microsoft.com... > In Excel, I cannot move my cursor to another cell with arrow keys. What > do I > do about this? JUST PRESS THE SCROLL LOCK BUTTON AND TRY IT WILL COME bill wrote: In Excel, I cannot move my cursor to another cell with arrow keys 25-Mar-10 In Excel, I cannot m...