This will sound ridiculous but...

I'm having trouble with a basic function.

I have an entire column of prices in the format $xx.xx

I need to take that entire column, say Column C, (titled "price") an
multiply each cell by a number and paste such that Column D become
those numbers plus tax.

I have cut and pasted the entire contents of the original column in
new column next to the original, so they're identical, now I need t
multiply each and every cell in Column D by 1.0825.

Any ideas how I can accomplish that?

And before you start, I'm a techno-moron. I'll need very basi
instructions.

Thanks in advance,

Wheele

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

There are several ways to do this.  The most simple is a simple cop
funciton.

Assuming the 1st price is in cell C1, got to D1 and type =C1*1.0825.
Then, simply copy this formula down thru the last row of your pric
column.  You can simply leave it as a formula, o
[copy][paste][special][values] over itself to convert to values.  M
suggestion is to leave the formulas so that any change to a price wil
automatically update the after tax price.

Note:  If you want to round the after tax to the nearest penny
substitute the formula, =ROUND(C1*1.0825,2).

Allways glad to help out the underpriveleged, "Longhorns".;

One way without cutting/pasting
Sub nextcol()
lr = Cells(Rows.Count, "i").End(xlUp).Row
For Each c In Range(Cells(1, "i"), Cells(lr, "i"))
c.Offset(, 1) = c * 1.0825
Next
End Sub

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software
"LonghornBob >" <<LonghornBob.15bu6r@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> I'm having trouble with a basic function.
>
> I have an entire column of prices in the format $xx.xx
>
> I need to take that entire column, say Column C, (titled "price") and
> multiply each cell by a number and paste such that Column D becomes
> those numbers plus tax.
>
> I have cut and pasted the entire contents of the original column in a
> new column next to the original, so they're identical, now I need to
> multiply each and every cell in Column D by 1.0825.
>
> Any ideas how I can accomplish that?
>
> And before you start, I'm a techno-moron. I'll need very basic
> instructions.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Wheeler
>

> ---

Don
4/26/2004 4:18:24 PM
Thanks for the tip.

Assuming I do this, and type =c1* etc., do I then have to type =c15
etc for cell #15? I've got a few thousand cells and I'm not intereste
in retyping that formula 2,500 times.

Is there a quick and dirty way to have the entire column formatted tha
way?

By the way, can you believe BJ Johnson didn't get drafted but Sloa
did? Crazy...

Thanks again,

Wheele

No,  that's the beauty of Excel.  When you copy the cells down the page
it automatically adjusts the cell reference for you.  In other words
if Cell D1 references cell C1 in the formula, when you copy it down t
D2, it will reference cell C2.:)

I'm not sure what their thinking was on BJ Johnson, but I was mor
curious about BJ Symmons.

Can you tell where I hail from

Since you've already copied the original column to a new column, you can
simply multiply that new column, in place, in a single quick procedure.

Type 1.0825 into an empty cell.
Format the cell the same as the original column.
Don't worry that you only see $1.08, - look in the formula bar and you'll
see the true value that will be used.
Right click in the cell and choose "Copy".
Select the entire *new* column, and right click in the selection, and choose
"PasteSpecial".
Click on "Multiply".
Then <OK>.
And you're done.
--

HTH,

RD

"LonghornBob >" <<LonghornBob.15bu6r@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
I'm having trouble with a basic function.

I have an entire column of prices in the format $xx.xx

I need to take that entire column, say Column C, (titled "price") and
multiply each cell by a number and paste such that Column D becomes
those numbers plus tax.

I have cut and pasted the entire contents of the original column in a
new column next to the original, so they're identical, now I need to
multiply each and every cell in Column D by 1.0825.

Any ideas how I can accomplish that?

And before you start, I'm a techno-moron. I'll need very basic
instructions.

Thanks in advance,

Wheeler

---

ragdyer1 (4060)

No Sound after reformatting
I reformatted my computer, and have no sound. I think I need to reinstall an audio driver, but I put my disc in, and I think ,my driver is too old. you need to reinstall the driver for your soundcard if you tell us make and model of your computer ie toshiba satelite A305-S6857 then we can give you a link to its driver "merrin231" wrote: > I reformatted my computer, and have no sound. I think I need to reinstall an > audio driver, but I put my disc in, and I think ,my driver is too old. how does your problem pertain to windows update functionality? merrin2...

.xlsx will save to network, .XLS gets "Document Not Saved"
Hello All, Here's the issue we've been trying to resolve all week. We have 4 laptops with Office 2007, that when they go to save an .xls or update an .xls document, it creates the .tmp file in the network directory, but does not rename the .tmp and save the .xls file... i.e. "Saving to H:\Folder\Folder". Then 5-10 seconds later, "Document Not Saved". No other errors. When I change the format to the newer format .XLSX then it saves fine with no issues. It doesn't matter if it's an existing or new document. And it only recently started happening...

Audio file captured in Producer will not open in Windows Media
Made an audio only file in Windows Producer and the file is in the correct folder in My Audios Files. The file appears in Producer as a Windows Media File [.wma}, it has the WM icon and says it is filed appropriately. I saved the Project and gave the Project a different name. I went to Windows Media to open the file to play and Media cannot open the file because it doesn’t recognize the format. If Producer saved the file as a ..wma file why can’t Media open the file? When I tried to open the file in Media, it is not apparent in a My Audios folder when I pick a .wma file type to open; h...

Workflow will not run automatically
I am new to the Workflow, but have tried to read up as much as possible. Now I am setting up a simple workflow which sends an email when a case is being assigned to someone else. The workflow works when I manually Apply the rule within the case. But it does not seem to fire automatically when I change the Owner of the Case. I am checking the Workflow monitor and I see every time I changed the owner. All the attaempt are in the columns Total and Paused. However, when I filter on paused I do not see any records. I am at the root of the business tree, and I have administrator and customis...

Date will not load
I have a number of Excel files on a thumb drive. When I try to open any of the Excel files from the thumb drive, Excel opens but it will not load the data. If I open Excel from my hard drive then open the thumb drive file from the opened Excel, then it will load. Also if I copy the thumb drive Excel file onto my hard drive, I have the same trouble opening it directly by double clicking on it. How do I fix this? Just a guess.... Close Excel and Windows Start Button|Run excel /unregserver then Windows Start Button|Run excel /regserver The /unregserver & /regserver stuff resets the ...

vista 64 SP1 will not installed
Vista (Ru) 64 SP1 (KB936330) will not installed (Err. 80070005). What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)? ShEk wrote: > Vista (Ru) 64 SP1 (KB936330) will not installed (Err. 80070005). 80070005 is an Access Denied; Permissions issue. The installed secuяity software (antiv...

Please loan me TWO dollars. You will be paid back!
Please loan me TWO dollars. You will be paid back! http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5666491387 ...

Accounts will not balance after download and merged
I set my online banking via B of A and downloaded my accounts. I was only able to get the past 90 days. So I downloaded the rest via my bank when I merge the two accounts, the bank balance is alway different than what money says I should have. When I downloaded the previous months, I made sure not to crossover the dates. Thanks in advance In microsoft.public.money, toby wrote: >I set my online banking via B of A and downloaded my accounts. I was only >able to get the past 90 days. So I downloaded the rest via my bank when I >merge the two accounts, the bank balance is ...

Verify that looking at DATA of SQL SERVER VIEW will be read-only
We want to start allowing our users to have ODC files to connect to and look at data in SQL SERVER VIEWS. I want to make sure that the users will only ever be able to look at this data and not actually change the back-end SQL data. Thanks for any clarification you can give! Our MIS Dept. has given me Read-only rights to one of our SQL databases. I can extract any data I wish with MsQuery, and process it in Excel. I can not change anything in the database itself. hth Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "Steve Z" wrote: > We want to start allowing our users to have ODC files ...

Excel will not print in black
I am not able to print an Excel worksheet in black, but it will print in color. I am using XP Home Edition and Office 2003 Suite. I have reinstalled the printer driver and it will still not work. I also cannot print envelopes. Any suggestions? Schuster, Can you print in black in other applications? Could you be out of black ink? -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "Schuster" <Schuster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:36E70E5E-DAE7-4955-808D-0C461CDBE93F@microsoft.com... >I am ...

mouse scrollwheel will not scroll
I installed an HP wireless mobile mouse in my laptop and the scroll wheel does not work. It shows the Auto-scroll icon on the screen when I click the wheel but does not move the screen vertically or horizontally. Manually scrolling with the wheel does nothing either. I checked the HP website and have the latest drivers, and their troubleshooting/help is no help. The "mouse settings" window I get from Control Panel/mouse only sets the amount of lines you want scrolled (this mouse wheel has vertical and side-to-side movement). I have tried uninstalling/disabling other ...

Outlook will not save the e-mail password
Outlook 2000 will not save my internet e-mail password under account properties. I check the 'save password' box and enter the password, but it does not get saved. To my knowledge, I have no application running that disables autocompletion of passwords. I recently switched over form Outlook Express 2000 where I was having no such problems. Any thoughts or advice will be appreciated. Thanks. See if this helps - For Outlook 2000 or 2002 on Win 98, NT, or 2000: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q290684 For Outlook 2000 on Windows 2000: (CW) http://su...

Message window will not close
Why is that, after I have written a new message, it gets properly put in the outbox and then sent, but, 8 times out of 10, the "new message window", where I composed it, does not close ?? Any known fixes ? Thanks. What is your operating system and version of Windows Live Mail client? > Why is that, after I have written a new message, it gets properly put in > the outbox and then sent, but, 8 times out of 10, the "new message > window", where I composed it, does not close ?? > Any known fixes ? > > Thanks. > Windows XP, SP3. ...

Need column that will post aging date
I have spreadsheet with invoice dates on it. I need another column that will show aging date against specific date that will be input in one of the cells. Tom, Use =CellWithDate - CellWithSpecificDate like =B3-$C$1 Format for 0 decimals, and that will report days. Otherwise, you could use the DateDif function. See http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datedif.htm HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "tom" <Spamblocker@ameritech.net> wrote in message news:lwTdi.5139$bP5.2924@newssvr19.news.prodigy.net... >I have spreadsheet with invoice dates on it. I need > another column t...

When a window minimize, what messages will be posted.
When a window minimize, what messages will be posted? Marco, That's an interesting question, especially since you are explicitly looking for messages that are "posted", i.e. messages that end up in the message queue and therefore are processed by the GetMessage/Dispatch message sequence. As a minimum, assuming that you placed the mouse cursor over the Minimze icon in the title bar, you would see the following in this order : 1. WM_NCMOUSEMOVE 2. WM_NCLBUTTONDOWN Additionally, one may expect to see the following message in the message queue: WM_SYSCOMMAND (with wParam ...

Exchange Small Business 2000 will not mount stores
My exchange server keeps unmounting information stores Problem occured two days ago, could not perform a soft recovery so tried a hard recovery on existing databases. Ran a defrag too. Everything looked OK and then 4 hours later the exchange server unmounted the stores. This wa s the original app log error The MAPI call 'OpenMsgStore' failed with the following error: The Microsoft Exchange Server computer is not available. Either there are network problems or the Microsoft Exchange Server computer is down for maintenance. The MAPI provider failed. Microsoft Exchange Server Inf...

ESM will not purge orphan account from old server
Hopefully someone can answer this question. We are moving from Exchange 2000 sp3 running on Server 2000 sp4 to Server 2003 and Exchange 2003. All users are moved to the new box and things are functioning. When un-installing Exchange 2000 to pull it out totally, I still see 1 user account left and it will not un-install. In ESM the account shows with a RED x. I can reconnect it to a test user account. Through AD I can take the Exchange mailbox away, run cleanup and I get the RED x back. When I attempt to purge, I click ok and the screen refreshes and the account does not disappear...

Access query will not evaluate the date
I have a linked Sql table in an Access database and I created a query on that table and assigned with a range on a date field as follows: >=#1/1/2007# And <=#1/31/2007# I know for sure there are records with the date 1/31/2007 on that table, however the recordset comes back with the records excluding those records with the date 1/31/2007. Thanks. Probably the records have a time component in addition to the just the date Try this criteria >=#1/1/2007# And <#2/1/2007# -- John Spencer Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007 Center for Health Program Development and Management Univer...

RMS POS
Is this possible? Make BEEP when msg present? Thanks in advance David Hi David, Don't think there is a hook for this or some standard option, but maybe there is an easy way of doing this: The messages between Cashiers are saved in the Message table, You can make few lines of script for the Status HTML page, that will periodically check this table and make a beep if there is "unread" message (the filed "DateRead")... Or some small dll, that will do the same (checking the table) and You can use this dll as windows service... Here You go, few ideas to start... ...

How to thread something in what will become a Windows Service....
I have something I'm writing as a windows form right now but it will eventually be a Windows Service. For a test, I have a submit button and it's action is to call something that dials out on a usb phone device. While that device is dialing and waiting for DTMF input from the call recipient, I need to pause the program and wait for the callee to hang up. The device I call has a bunch of handlers that handle the keys being entered, etc. I need to have these handlers able to listen for events while the button click sub is waiting but be able to continue when a hangup event oc...

autosignature will not stick
I keep setting the auto signature feature and selecting the profile name for it (there is only one), but when I exit Outlook and then come back in and start to create a new email, the signature is no longer attached. Is there a setting that I'm missing? ...

Nav Buttons, Graphics, Other Images Will Not Display
SOMEONE HELP ME...PLEASE! I am about to lose the mind. Many simple things will not appear in Web Preview. Must make everything on page a pic file, or it will not display. This problem only began after reinstalling Pub '07 after a computer crash. I'm can't figure it out. Help, please? And, thanks. Can you view them in the publication mode? Take a look at the fourth FAQ here http://ed.mvps.org/Static.aspx?=Publisher/FAQs If that doesn't seem to be the problem, ask your question on the Web Design newsgroup. http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx...

Outlook Process Will Not Stop When Exiting
About half the time I exit Outlook 2000 on my Win XP Pro box it doesn't ask if I want to delete items in my Deleted Items folder and just quits. I Ctrl-Alt-Del to Task Manager and the OUTLOOK.EXE process is still running. Why is this happening? This sometimes happens to me at work with Outlook 2000 and Win 2000 SP4 but not nearly as much as here at home. Thanks! ...

Exchange Server 5.5 Restored from tape gives an error 3355443752 and will not start the services
I have an NT4 server that I use for restoring Exchanger Server 5.5 by using NT Backup to backup and restore. I successfully used it to restore the information store so I could retreive some deleted messages. I found that I needed to do a restore from the previous day and ran a restore from that tape. I am now getting an error 3355443752 when I try to restart the Information Store Service. I looked at Microsoft's KB and they said that I should get this if I ran "isinteg -patch" or "eseutil /r/is" before restarting the Information Store Service, but I did not run eith...

Publisher will not print multiple copies, other apps do? Help!
I have tried everything I know how to do. Publisher will not print multiple copies, but other applications will. What version Publisher? Doe the print fail in all Publisher projects? Have you looked into an upgraded driver? Will Publisher print multiple copies if you change the number in the printer folder? -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "sidewinder" <sidewinder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0FBA3DCE-AE53-432E-8A7E-D6B3D6B1736A@microsoft.com... >I have tried everything I know h...