Text Wrapping not working as desired.

I have a workbook containing several worksheets. The specific worksheet of
concern is set up to allow the user to fill in information and as such will
be protected to eliminate the risk of changes. All cells have been set as
Protected except those where the user is allowed to fill in data, AND those
cells have had Wrapping enabled (actually, the whole row (NOT the whole
worksheet) has had wrapping enabled).

However the row is NOT auto expanding when the data is entered, rather the
row remains the height of a single row and never displays more than the
first line of text. This is an issue even with the worksheet unprotected.

Any thoughts?

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

A couple of addtional details:

- This "cell" is part of group of cell on a single row (they have been
Merged).
- I have attempted to format the row unsing "Auto Fit" under Format/Row.

"Larry S" <larry.singer@lmco.com> wrote in message
>I have a workbook containing several worksheets. The specific worksheet of
>concern is set up to allow the user to fill in information and as such will
>be protected to eliminate the risk of changes. All cells have been set as
>Protected except those where the user is allowed to fill in data, AND those
>cells have had Wrapping enabled (actually, the whole row (NOT the whole
>worksheet) has had wrapping enabled).
>
> However the row is NOT auto expanding when the data is entered, rather the
> row remains the height of a single row and never displays more than the
> first line of text. This is an issue even with the worksheet unprotected.
>
> Any thoughts?

Larry

Do you have merged cells on this sheet?

You can resize manually or via Macro.  Jim Rech has written
code for this.

http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=e1%241uzL1BHA.1784%40tkmsftngp05

Also revised code for special cases.

http://snipurl.com/dfsm

The best cure is DON"T USE MERGED CELLS.  They cause no end of problems with
copying, pasting, sorting, filtering.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Tue, 23 May 2006 13:40:53 -0400, "Larry S" <larry.singer@lmco.com> wrote:

>I have a workbook containing several worksheets. The specific worksheet of
>concern is set up to allow the user to fill in information and as such will
>be protected to eliminate the risk of changes. All cells have been set as
>Protected except those where the user is allowed to fill in data, AND those
>cells have had Wrapping enabled (actually, the whole row (NOT the whole
>worksheet) has had wrapping enabled).
>
>However the row is NOT auto expanding when the data is entered, rather the
>row remains the height of a single row and never displays more than the
>first line of text. This is an issue even with the worksheet unprotected.
>
>Any thoughts?

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
0
Gord
5/23/2006 10:54:47 PM
Thanks - I will look into this. Yes, I have merged cells involved.

> Larry
>
> Do you have merged cells on this sheet?
>
> You can resize manually or via Macro.  Jim Rech has written
> code for this.
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=e1%241uzL1BHA.1784%40tkmsftngp05
>
> Also revised code for special cases.
>
> http://snipurl.com/dfsm
>
> The best cure is DON"T USE MERGED CELLS.  They cause no end of problems
> with
> copying, pasting, sorting, filtering.
>

> Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>
> On Tue, 23 May 2006 13:40:53 -0400, "Larry S" <larry.singer@lmco.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I have a workbook containing several worksheets. The specific worksheet of
>>concern is set up to allow the user to fill in information and as such
>>will
>>be protected to eliminate the risk of changes. All cells have been set as
>>Protected except those where the user is allowed to fill in data, AND
>>those
>>cells have had Wrapping enabled (actually, the whole row (NOT the whole
>>worksheet) has had wrapping enabled).
>>
>>However the row is NOT auto expanding when the data is entered, rather the
>>row remains the height of a single row and never displays more than the
>>first line of text. This is an issue even with the worksheet unprotected.
>>
>>Any thoughts?
>>

> Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

Complicated text to date query
HIya, I've inherited a database with three text columns with dates in a text format. In each of these columns the text dates have been added in lots of different formats, e.g. 30409 meaning 03/04/09, so missing the leading zero! or 030409 or 03042009 or 03/04/2009 or 03/04/09 So every way which really... Please help me find an update query, or set of them to get this mish mash of different text formats into a unified short date format in Access 2007. This database is quite large, so no room for manual manipualtions. Thanks Heather I would probably take this in...

text wrap problem
I have a problem with wrapping text around a clip art picture. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't! I used the same text and the same picture to test it out. I've just got it to work, but I need to know if this is a bug because I'm writing a text book. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers. Sorry, forgot to mention I'm using 2003. >-----Original Message----- >I have a problem with wrapping text around a clip art >picture. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't! I >used the same text and the same picture to test it out. >I've just g...

How to import flow charts made in excel to visio as editable text #2
I have created flow charts using drawing objects (rectangles, circles etc) in excel. Now I want to import these diagrams in visio, such that I am able to edit the text entered in the rectangles etc while preparing the charts in excel. I have tried it by copying the individual rectangles / circles in excel and pasting them in visio. But they appear in visio as uneditable objects (similar to jpg image of text which cannot be edited as text). Kindly advise on how to import the excel diagrams as editable visio diagrams. See reply in visio.general group -- Best regards John John Gold...

Can youp propagate changes to inserted text from file?
If you insert "text from file" in a document, but later make changes to the source file, can the changes to the source file be propagated to the document where you inserted the text? If you insert a link to the source file. Otherwise no. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>...

Searching for text boxes
Is there a way to search for text boxes within a word (Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 version) document? Searching for "graphics" does not do the trick. I can't find anyone who can figure this out. Thank you! What do you want to do when you find them. Running the following macro will find them Dim i As Long With ActiveDocument For i = 1 To .Shapes.Count If .Shapes(i).Type = msoTextBox Then .Shapes(i).Select MsgBox "The selected shape is a text box." End If Next i End With -- Hope t...

Formula text count #2
I Have a list in a column that has a lot of tank numbers on a ship listed as the following: 1-1-2-V 1-1-3-V 1-1-2-F 1-1-2-F 1-1-2-J 1-1-2-F In another column, I have a list to identify whether the tank has been opened noted with a date if it has and blank if it hasn't. I'm trying to count the amount of V tanks that have been opened, J tanks that have been opened and so on. I need an if, ifcount, or vlookup formula that can do this. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Darrell, You can probably use a Pivot Table. Have it summarize the data in column A and the column in wh...

working with different operating systems
My computer system information shows that my operating system is Windows 7 Home Premium. I'm wanting to access a web application but it's saying that my computer is showning up to be a Windows Vista Home. According to the requirement to access this web application I need to upgrade my operating system to either a Windows XP Pro or to a Windows Vista Pro. Is there a way to do this with my current operating system? Is there a way I can change my current OS to one of the required OS's? Or, is there a way I can run and/or install one of the required OS's while ...

Getting Tab Text
Hi, I have a Tab Control with Tabs. I'm trying to get the Tab Text. I can get the tab and set the text no problem. But, when I try to read the text, pszText is alway's a <Bad Ptr> If I immediately get the Item after I set the Item, It shows the Text. //Initially setting Tab Text. TCITEM tcItem; tcItem.mask = TCIF_TEXT; tcItem.pszText = String.GetBuffer(); String.ReleaseBuffer(); //I don't think this matters. It fails both with and without. c_TabCtrl.InsertItem(c_TabCtrl.GetItemCount(), &tcItem); //Trying to get Tab Text TCITEM tcItem; tcItem.mask = TCI...

Display the TEXT of a comment in a new cell
Is there a way to display the comment, attached to a cell, as the 'value' of the cell? I have copied/pasted the comments to a new form (sheet) and would like to have the comment text displayed IN the new cell. Then I can print the sheet. My current macro copies all comments from one sheet and pastes them onto a second sheet. Now the new sheet shows the comment indicator, with a blank cell. I want to replace the blank cell, with the TEXT of the comment. Can this be done? Thank you in advance. JO Hi wojo, You could try this user-defined function placing it in a standard module...

For a small grocery store
I'm planning to start a small grocery store with about 4000 items. Most of them are produce, that needs to weighed. Any suggestioon on a budget-friendly POS system that supports scanner scale combo? I already have a magellan SL scanner/scale. Thanks Try DataSym www.datasym.com <venukalpi@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1148463338.146778.198150@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > I'm planning to start a small grocery store with about 4000 items. Most > of them are produce, that needs to weighed. Any suggestioon on a > budget-friendly POS system that supports scanner sca...

Convert Works file to Excel file
Is there a simple conversion package to convert a Microsoft Works file, with extension .xlr, to an Excel file? Is there a download? Note I am running Excel 2002. ...

access work around for the excel function normsinv....?
Hi, I am trying to transfer a lot of reporting from excel into access. The only issue I have is that there is no normsinv function in access. Does anyone have a work around or bit of code that repilicates this function in access? or point me in the direction of a place that does - I've drawn a blank so far. Thanks in advance for any assistance -- Julie N x ...

Word Changes Email Message format to Plain Text
Office 2007. I've set my email format to HTML. When I email a word doc from the Word GUI, the Outlook message opens with the doc attached, but the message format is Plain Text, which, among other things, ruins my formatted signature. This is a new laptop (Windows 7) and Office 2007 install. I have four other systems with Office 2007 and do not experience this problem, including another Windows 7 system, XP, and Vista. Word is not an e-mail application and HTML format and Word formats are entirely different, so there will inevitably be a compromise. Word only provid...

Slider on static text Control
hi i have to use a slider on a static text control which keep a photo ..... i do not know how it will happen ...... plz some one solve my problem i will appriciate I don't think there is any way to do this automatically. You'll have to use the slider to figure out the position in the photo then draw the background on the static control in the position you want (represented by the slider). This article shows this happening with a color background (you'll draw your picture clipped appropriately instead). http://www.codeguru.com/cpp/w-d/dislog/colors/...

Combo Box that fills Text Box in form
Hi I am using Windows XP and Access 2000. I have a combo box (courses) on a form that fills a text box (dates), as follows:-- Combo box... Name = course Control Source = schedule.course Row source = SELECT schedule.course, schedule.coursedate FROM schedule; Column Count = 2 Text Box... Name = maindate Control Source = =course.Column(1) This works fine. But there are more than one courses that are the same in the schedule table. ie the course field in the schedule table hold names of courses that are the same eg ICS, SWIFT etc The schedule table holds different date...

cannot get qwest email account to work in windows mail
i cant seem to get a connection to my new email account using qwest. this is the error i get when i try and check my email. The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'windows mail', Server: 'pop3.live.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E can anyone help me please? That server doesn't use port 110. Please change your settings in that Windows Mail account to agree with this: http://mailcall.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!CC9301187A51FE33!49799.entry Use port 587 rather than port 25 for the SMT...

formating text cells
I need to format a text cell using bullets similiar to Word's bullets and numbering? Any idea on how to do that? Can Excell automatically generate the bullet? Excel doesn't support this the way Word does. I'd use Word, if at all possible. One alternative in Excel: If you put the text of the bullet point in B1, put this in A1 to generate a "bullet": =IF(B1<>"",CHAR(149),"") Copy this down as far as needed. You will likely want to use Align Right on Column A as well. Not a bad idea to adjust the width of Column A, either. tj "Cathyin...

Insert attachment file path as text into message.
I'm using Outlook 2002. When I get a message with an attachment, I :- 1 - file the attachment into an appropiate directory on my hard disk relating to the content. 2 - remove the attachment from the message 3 - copy the file path using Directory Opus (a replacement Windows Explorer) 4 - Paste the file path into the message body 5 - save the message into an appropiate outlook directory So I can always retrieve attachements that arrived with messages when I need to. I've looked at various add-ins but they all seem to automatically save the attachments in pre defined directories, whic...

How do you ensure outbox work consistently with Pro7 & 2003
Since implementing 7 Pro my 2003 Outlook does not send out messages consistantly and sometimes requires that I reboot computer. "NormanH" <NormanH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C5F3A418-9CBC-4F46-BBD6-05AD09D782C1@microsoft.com... > Since implementing 7 Pro my 2003 Outlook does not send out messages > consistantly and sometimes requires that I reboot computer. Error message? What happens? NormanH wrote: > Since implementing 7 Pro my 2003 Outlook does not send out messages > consistantly and sometimes requires that I reboot ...

I can recieve not send emails even though the test message works..
I can not get the email to leave the outbox even thought test messages work. ...

Right Click on Mouse doesn't work in Excel 2003
I have tried installing the office twice with same result. I am not able to set properties or insert cells using right click on the mouse, seems like it is disabled. It works with other office packages and I can change properties on sheet name in excel. Is there a setting where this feature is disabled? Hi what exactly does happen: - do you see a context menu - are the options greyed-out - etc -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Raghu" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:1357f01c443ff$bdd87ea0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I have tried in...

Text-to-Column with Paragraph Delimiter
Hi all -- I have an Excel sheet where one column has entries on two lines in the single cell (separated by a paragraph mark). I want to split the column into two using the paragraph mark as the delimiter -- but I haven't been able to do this successfully. Is it possible and, if so, how do I go about it? Many thanks, AL Don't exactly know what you mean by a "paragraph mark", but if you used Char(10) (<Alt> <Enter), try this is TTC: Use "Delimited" and in the second step of the wizard, click on "other" and enter <Ctrl> <J> (Of cou...

Currency not working properly
Hello; I am living in Canada and when I create a invoice it changes the amount. For instance, I have created a product for $12.00. When I put it in the invoice it comes up as $15.28, the U.S. equivelent. I have told MS Money to use Canadian dollars as the base. I have also gone into my computer and made sure in the regional settings it was set to Canada, Canadian English, etc. Running Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2 and MS Money 2005. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Shann ...

Purge Deleted Messages does not Work!
Hi, I'm using Outlook 2002 to connect to an IMAP server, however recently the Purge Deleted Message is failing to work. It asks if I'm sure then just doesn't to anything?! Any ideas? stevie ...

correct password won't work
Hi, I had to reformat & reinstall Win XP Pro SP3. I reinstalled Money 2002 Deluxe v10.0. That went OK but I can not access my money file or restore the backup. I don't use any of the online features of the app. I know I am using the same password as it was the same one before I had to reformat. Any idea how I can open my file? Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks. In microsoft.public.money, Jawad wrote: > >I had to reformat & reinstall Win XP Pro SP3. I reinstalled Money 2002 >Deluxe v10.0. That went OK but I can not access my money file or resto...