Text Formula Question

In COL A, I have a list of 2 and 3 digit charactors.  I would like to
seperate each string into the three adjacent columns.

KQ
AJs
TT
89s

KQ    K   Q
AJs   A    J   s
TT     T    T
89s   8    9    s

I know that I can use the Left function for the first col, but cant
figure out how to get just the middle or third letters.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Check your last post!
--
Regards,

RD

"Hittin_Provs" <andrewestein@gmail.com> wrote in message
> In COL A, I have a list of 2 and 3 digit charactors.  I would like to
> seperate each string into the three adjacent columns.
>

> KQ
> AJs
> TT
> 89s
>

> KQ    K   Q
> AJs   A    J   s
> TT     T    T
> 89s   8    9    s
>

> I know that I can use the Left function for the first col, but cant
> figure out how to get just the middle or third letters.
>

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Andrew

0
ragdyer1 (4060)

count text through worksheets generates error
Hi all, In a workbook with a lot of worksheets i want to count the number of times a specific text value occurs in a cell. All sheets have the same layout. So, for instance, when i want to count the number of times the value "yes" occurs in cell B2 through sheets 1 to 5 and i use the function =countif(sheet1:sheet5!b2,"yes") excel generates an error message (#value!). I don't understand why, because if i would use the function in 1 sheet only I get the required result. I suspect that some functions cannot work on grouped sheets. Is there a list somewhere that e...

Text moves on saving
Using Publisher 2002, when I save a document of several pages, approximately an inch or so of text jumps from one page to the next page in linked text boxes. When I go back to the previous page, text usually reverts to the proper place. Sometimes, I have to delete a blank line to make the text come back, then later I will have to put that line back in. When I save again, text jumps again. Hi Jan (anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com), in the newsgroups you posted: || Using Publisher 2002, when I save a document of several || pages, approximately an inch or so of text jumps from one || ...

lookup formula not picking up correct data
I using Excel 2003 to create a "Lookup" formula to calculate grade points and grade point averages. I want to insert the grade and have the grade converted to a grade point then multiply by the number of credits for the class. I created a vector with the grade and a corresponding vector with the grade point. The formula I am using is =LOOKUP(D6, B1:N1, B2:N2) where D6 is the lookup value (the grade); b1:n1 is the lookup vector; and b2:n2 is the result vector. The result is that I get an "#N/A" error message when I input some grades, I get the incorrect gra...

BP 3.0 pre-installation question
I am very embarrassed to ask this, but I have not found the correct way to do set up the Business Portal domain user account. In short, I have a domain called MYDOM. I have an SBS 2003 machine called PDC I have the Business Portal machine called TESTBED (running Server 2003). I hav no problems creating the domain user account "bportal", but how do I give that account admin privileges on specirfically on TESTBED? It is not like XP pro where I can add the domain account to te local users accounts and give it admin rights. It seems that this should not be an utter brick wall, ...

Formula that returns the sheetname
Does anyone know of a formula that would return the active sheetname? http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/formulae/cell_function.html "TimT" wrote: > Does anyone know of a formula that would return the active sheetname? Great Link! The formula was =MID(CELL("filename",A1), FIND("]", CELL("filename", A1))+ 1, 255) ....yeah, like I was gonna figure that one out on my own. "David Hepner" wrote: > http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/formulae/cell_function.html > > > "TimT" wrote: > > > Does anyone know of a form...

"Diagonal" cells
Hi. I'm doing a tricky poor-man's-Illustrator project with Excel 2007. I'm trying to create the impression of a large cell that's been split in half diagonally (with a diagonal ascending from bottom left to top right). I've created a 2 x 2 grid of cells and put a diagonal border through the lower left and top right cells and removed the vertical, internal borders. Looks great so far. In addition, I'd like to place text in the upper left and lower right cells. Ideally, this text would be wider than the upper left or lower right cell and would flow over into the adja...

insert symbols in text cell
i would to insert "-" to the text cell format, how to do? example: 123456 change to 123-456 -- SelinaT ------------------------------------------------------------------------ SelinaT's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=33675 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=534451 Assuming the data posted is representative (6 digits, with dash to be inserted in centre) and running in A1 down Try in B1: =LEFT(A1,3)&"-"&RIGHT(A1,3) Copy down Then copy col B, and overwrite col A with Paste special &g...

Excel Formulae #3
Hi, I have a spreadsheet with value in one column & a series of dates in 5 other columns.For each row depending on the value in the first colunm a date may be applicable in one or more of the other columns.e.g 550 in the first column will mean dates will be inserted in the next 2 columns similar to authority levels. My qn. is how can I show what's outstanding if the relevant authority levels have not signed off-basically this is used as a tracker of invoices & I would like to show what is outstanding awaiting approval at anytime. Thanks Raj ----------------------------------...

Weird problem -- formulas get lost but their values stay in place
I have a client who uses Excel files that link out to other excel files. The formulas in the "main" file calculate from data in the linked files. So, the formula is in the main file. When they close the main file and re-open it, the formulas are gone, but the last calculated value remains. Does anyone have an idea why this would happen? Thanks, Bill One way might be because a "Before Save" or "Before Close" Macro is doing a Copy > Paste special > Values........ Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "Bill" <bdotson@gmail.com> wrote in message...

newsgroup lingo question
I tremble to ask, but what's an OP? "Original poster"? Yes. On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 18:02:50 -0400, "Jamie Martin" <lionsmouth2002@yahoo.com> wrote: >I tremble to ask, but what's an OP? "Original poster"? > And OPP - other people's property. ;) Jason >-----Original Message----- >Yes. > >On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 18:02:50 -0400, "Jamie Martin" <lionsmouth2002@yahoo.com> wrote: > >>I tremble to ask, but what's an OP? "Original poster"? >> > >. > And for more info: http://www...

I don't know which formula to use?
I need help understanding which formula I should use. . . I have built a table similar to the one below on a sheet of my workbook. On a separate sheet, I need to be able to input ONLY two variables (state and fruit) and return information (the cost) defined in the table below. As an example: Inputting the variables of Texas and Bananas should return $4.00. I need to be able to change Texas to Florida and the formula should immediately update to the value to $6.00. Another example: Inputting the variables of Texas and Bananas should return $4.00. I need to be able to ...

unmatched record query question
A while back, I had a corruption issue, and without me realizing it, the one- to-many relationship between related tables was deleted. Now, when I try to reset the relationships I get an error message that states that record(s) violate referential integrity rules. I suspect that one or more records in the parent table may have been deleted, but the related record(s) in the child table still exist. My tables are structured as follows: The parent table "Bid" has 2 primary key fields - ProjectID, BidID The child table "Item" has 4 primary key fields - ProjectID, BidID, Room...

Manipulating text data
Win XP HE, XL 2002 Hi, I have a list of 1000 company names that I need to parse in this manner: In Cell A1 abcmanagement should be in Cell A2 ABC Management In A2 abcdefcompany should be in B2 ABCDEF Company etc..... There are a list of company with the following keywords: management, company, firm, llc, that may appear in the names in cell in the A column. What I need to do is a) insert a blank space between whatever is BEFORE the above key words. How to use a formula to quickly "parse" cells in the A column to insert this blank space at the right place and separate the names a...

Excel -- Wrapped text disappears
A user here is having the same problem as described in a previous topic (http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.excel/browse_thread/thread/b32b50c3e69981d/dc8adb6c01616d70%23dc8adb6c01616d70). Windows XP Pro, SP2 Office 2003 Pro, SP2 New machine with plenty of resources. Was originally working properly, then mysteriously developed a strange symptom: Any text that is in an Excel cell in which the "wrap text" option has been selected no longer shows up. I have checked it with 1 character, 1 word, and multiple lines of text. It has been repeated with spreadsheets created on...

How can I get my text to arc in Visio?
I have a circular pie chart. I want my text in various places on the outside of the ciruclar pie chart to arc with the circle. I know how to add text boxes, but they don't arc--they are flat across the usual way (since visio doesn't support it) is to copy it from something like powerpoint. al "michobrien" <michobrien@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E6593E93-8E62-4BEE-87F4-79B395F11F91@microsoft.com... >I have a circular pie chart. I want my text in various places on the >outside > of the ciruclar pie chart to arc with the circle. I k...

dynamic forms (i.e. form with hidden text boxes, calenders etc)
I have one form with 25 different text box, calenders and selection boxes on the are all hidden except one showing at a time (its being used for users to entered data). I need to put a progress bar, but as the number of input choices changes dependant on what the user enters, its not as simple as '1 of 25' the other idea is to put all the 25 catorgories on one side of the form and then display what the user has entered as they go along. (problem here is that it means 25 new text boxes !!) any one got any other ideas? This would be very hard as you stated you never know how man...

Array formula difficulty
I have an array formula which finds a negative average correctly but not a positive average for a small column of numbers For example I have a small column containing positive and negative numbers - formatted as percentages. Column A1:A20 I have manually filled the first 13 cells in the column with numbers and have no gaps. For the last 7 cells I have put in a simple formula to copy a value from another cell if that cell has a value, otherwise to leave the cell blank. Accordingly the last 7 cells are empty. Now I would like to find the average of the last 2 negative numbers in the column an...

Text in VBA
Hello, I'd like, if possible, in VBA to have an inputbox that will allow me to write a text in J1 if B1 has value but J1 is empty. Is that possible? Hi how should this inputbox be invoked? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Jeff" <Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:A7813AAF-1A10-4F19-86D8-80F25F89434F@microsoft.com... > Hello, > > I'd like, if possible, in VBA to have an inputbox that will allow me to > write a text in J1 if B1 has value but J1 is empty. > Is that possible? > This inputbox should be invoked if...

how do I highlite text within a cell (specific characters)
I am trying to high light specific characters within a cell. (similiar to the way text can be high lighted in word. Can this be done in Excell. I dont want to change the colour of the cell or the colour of the text - but do want to high light specific parts of the text with in a cell Just select that part of the text and format as per your requirement by going to cells > format > font. Mangesh "tim" <tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A9781298-1301-4FE1-9901-9D1C03504504@microsoft.com... > I am trying to high light specific characters within a ...

xslt newbie question
I'm a ASP.NET/C# programmer new to XSLT/XPath with a bit of experience of XML. I've been reading through some stuff on XSLT and I'm struggling to think of what situations I would want to use it in. Basically XSLT is like CSS for XML files, right (i.e. setting how the XML is displayed on screen)? The only use I can think of for this is if I have an XML file and I want to display it's contents to the screen in a datagrid style. Why would I use XSLT rather than reading the XML into a dataset instead? Can somebody please enlighten me and tell me what other uses XSLT can be put...

display of text and lines from CAD
In Visio 2007, I opened a .DWG,converted it, and saved is as Visio (.VSD). Some of the entities (both lines and text) don't display on the screen in the formatted color. The current theme is "none". I tried two other themes, with no apparant difference. Any idea why these would display (and print) as a different color than they are formatted? When I change the font size of the text, it does change size. When I change color, it doesn't change. help? Regards Jay ...

Query Criteria Question
I'm trying to make a query of two tables however they both have multiple entries of the same information. One table has about 2300 Item Numbers with lots of duplicates; the other table has about 10000 Item Numbers with even more duplicates. What criteria do I need to use to get the query to find the first matchings in both tables and then move on to the next without using the previously matched numbers? Thanks In Advance, Rob Rob wrote: > I'm trying to make a query of two tables however they both have > multiple entries of the same information. One table has about 2300 >...

question about mailbox move from 5.5 to 2003....
have a 5.5 server running with an information store thats roughly 15gb's. we have 2003 up and running on a new server and plan to move the mailboxes and everything else over to the 2003 server today, anyone have a general idea of how long this move "should" take? and if anyone has any thoughts on this at all, please let me know. thank you. How long it takes depends on the size or data being migrated, server speed, and network speed. Is this the same organization or new organization? Thanks, Chad "jjd228@NOSPAMoptonline.net" wrote: > have a 5.5 server ...

Question: MFC Multithreading Vs. COM+ Performance?
I have written a Visual C++ (MFC) application that responds to an Active X event that reads data from a serial port. This data is received from an RF base station through the port which connects to multiple RF units. When the event is fired I process the data and return a reponse back through the port to the base station and to an RF unit. Each event is processed in sequence before the next event. Some events require more processing time than others (such as database lookups). Since there may be data ready on the port while a current event is being processed, I tried a multithreading approach...

roll over text
is it possible to generate roll over text and/or images in Publisher? And if so, how? Thank you You need to go here: news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.publisher.webdesign -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.mvps.org/msauer/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "deVigne" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E3B1A378-A6D7-4118-9FAE-8E0273C9FDB2@microsoft.com... > is it possible to generate roll over text and/or images in Publisher? And if so, how? Thank you ...