Temporary save files and their accesibility

Hello,

We recently altered an Excel workbook and have subsequently saved it, we
have since found that ideally we would take step back in time and not make
the changes we have.

I have looked around the discussion topics only to be disappointed by some
of the replies stating that what I’m asking is impossible. But here goes
anyway:

It is my understanding that when Excel saves it has a randomly named
temporary file that it saves to, upon successful save the file is renamed to
that of the file you are working on and the previously saved file is deleted.
With that in mind surely there is A) a directory this files ends up in prior
to "true" deletion and more importantly B) the ability to access it as it
doesn’t pass though any other third party software before disappearing.

This may sound incredibly naive but applying some logic to the problem there
has to be a way around it, if only to view the previous sheets prior to
amendments being made.

Any help would be greatly received, Chris

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

try some undelete software in the folder that the original resides in.

Chrisjnelson20@hotmail.com wrote:

> Hello,=20
>=20
> We recently altered an Excel workbook and have subsequently saved it, w=
e=20
> have since found that ideally we would take step back in time and not m=
ake=20
> the changes we have.=20
>=20
> I have looked around the discussion topics only to be disappointed by s=
ome=20
> of the replies stating that what I=E2=80=99m asking is impossible. But =
here goes=20
> anyway:
>=20
> It is my understanding that when Excel saves it has a randomly named=20
> temporary file that it saves to, upon successful save the file is renam=
ed to=20
> that of the file you are working on and the previously saved file is de=
leted.=20
> With that in mind surely there is A) a directory this files ends up in =
prior=20
> to "true" deletion and more importantly B) the ability to access it as =
it=20
> doesn=E2=80=99t pass though any other third party software before disap=
pearing.=20
>=20
> This may sound incredibly naive but applying some logic to the problem =
there=20
> has to be a way around it, if only to view the previous sheets prior to=
=20
> amendments being made.
>=20
> Any help would be greatly received, Chris
>=20

0
birelan (531)
4/14/2008 8:49:04 PM
If you do a search on say "file undelete utilties" you'll get a bunch of
hits.  This is the first one I got:

http://www.officerecovery.com/freeundelete/

The "office" in the name does not seem to have anything to do with MS
Office, btw.  That's okay because your's is not an Excel or Office issue.
It's simply - can a deleted file of any kind be recovered?  Sometimes it
seems it can but the longer you wait the less likely is it.  I would
certainly give long odds against it because the space allocated to the
deleted file is available for Windows to write other files and it seems
likely Windows will have used it.  Also, Excel is resistant to opening files
that are not perfect.  If you could recover say 90% of a text file that
would be good because you could actually use that 90%.  But if Excel sees
anything wrong with a workbook file it rejects it.  So it pretty much has to
be perfect.

--
Jim
<Chrisjnelson20@hotmail.com@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Hello,
|
| We recently altered an Excel workbook and have subsequently saved it, we
| have since found that ideally we would take step back in time and not make
| the changes we have.
|
| I have looked around the discussion topics only to be disappointed by some
| of the replies stating that what I'm asking is impossible. But here goes
| anyway:
|
| It is my understanding that when Excel saves it has a randomly named
| temporary file that it saves to, upon successful save the file is renamed
| that of the file you are working on and the previously saved file is
deleted.
| With that in mind surely there is A) a directory this files ends up in
prior
| to "true" deletion and more importantly B) the ability to access it as it
| doesn't pass though any other third party software before disappearing.
|
| This may sound incredibly naive but applying some logic to the problem
there
| has to be a way around it, if only to view the previous sheets prior to
| amendments being made.
|
| Any help would be greatly received, Chris

0
jrrech1 (131)
4/14/2008 9:04:21 PM
Jim,

Thanks for your reply, you appear to have hit the nail on the head with
regards to what i'm trying to achieve. The numerous save points made since
the file was "as we want it" have all been made today and no ther programs
have been used incl any internet usage, this I hope has to increase the
chances of us finding the data. As for its ability to be re-opened who knows!
I guess we'll find out if the file is ever retreaved!

I have downloaded the file you refered to and it found eight .tmp files
which only three opened to show a usable text ofrmat but referred to the
software that had just be installed !! lol!

Guess its back to the drawing board for me!

"Jim Rech" wrote:

> If you do a search on say "file undelete utilties" you'll get a bunch of
> hits.  This is the first one I got:
>
> http://www.officerecovery.com/freeundelete/
>
> The "office" in the name does not seem to have anything to do with MS
> Office, btw.  That's okay because your's is not an Excel or Office issue.
> It's simply - can a deleted file of any kind be recovered?  Sometimes it
> seems it can but the longer you wait the less likely is it.  I would
> certainly give long odds against it because the space allocated to the
> deleted file is available for Windows to write other files and it seems
> likely Windows will have used it.  Also, Excel is resistant to opening files
> that are not perfect.  If you could recover say 90% of a text file that
> would be good because you could actually use that 90%.  But if Excel sees
> anything wrong with a workbook file it rejects it.  So it pretty much has to
> be perfect.
>
> --
> Jim
> "Chrisjnelson20@hotmail.com"
> <Chrisjnelson20@hotmail.com@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | Hello,
> |
> | We recently altered an Excel workbook and have subsequently saved it, we
> | have since found that ideally we would take step back in time and not make
> | the changes we have.
> |
> | I have looked around the discussion topics only to be disappointed by some
> | of the replies stating that what I'm asking is impossible. But here goes
> | anyway:
> |
> | It is my understanding that when Excel saves it has a randomly named
> | temporary file that it saves to, upon successful save the file is renamed
> | that of the file you are working on and the previously saved file is
> deleted.
> | With that in mind surely there is A) a directory this files ends up in
> prior
> | to "true" deletion and more importantly B) the ability to access it as it
> | doesn't pass though any other third party software before disappearing.
> |
> | This may sound incredibly naive but applying some logic to the problem
> there
> | has to be a way around it, if only to view the previous sheets prior to
> | amendments being made.
> |
> | Any help would be greatly received, Chris

Distribution Files for MFC in VS .net 2003

Excel pivottable with OLAP cubes saves names, not keys
hi, Is there a way to let the Excel XP pivottables/OLAP cubes reports save the member keys, not meber names? The members disapperas in the reports when the names are updated i the dim-table, and this is a problem. All my Analysis Services dimension levels got keys unique and names not unique. I can't set the dim-property keys unique, because they are not. This is the report info (from Frontpage/OWC, cant find it in Excel): &lt;x:IncludedMember&gt; &lt;x:Name&gt;0000 ABCDEFGH&lt;/x:Name&gt; &lt;x:UniqueName&gt;[MyDim].[All MyDim].[0000 A...

file cloning
I was wondering. How come it is possible to clone a file (using right click copy/paste file), but not possible to do this for other documents (apps and clip-art etc)?. Could it be possible to have an add-in in excel to prevent people from copying documents on their desktop?? -- shnim1 You can copy files that way (rightclick|copy, rightclick|paste). But most windows applications are no longer just simple .exe files (like back in the old DOS days). They usually have tons of other stuff that gets installed with them--and that stuff gets scattered all over your harddrive (windows folder, wi...

how to build the netsample ipconfig to the exe file?
C:\WINCE500\public\common\oak\drivers\netsamp\ipconfig\ipconfig.cpp i want to make ipconfig.exe. and i could found the sample code. but it source code builded to the lib file. in ipconfig sources files, TARGETNAME=ipconfig TARGETTYPE=LIBRARY SOURCES= \ $(TARGETNAME).cpp the project is .lib file. but the source code has a _tmain() funciton in the source. it's looks possible to compile to the exe file. how can it compile to the exe file? You can add the SYSGEN_NETUTILS and you will have the ipconfig.exe integrated to your OS. Search ipconfig in the cat...

outlook can't receive exe files

retrieving folders.old file

Excel 2000 vs. Excel 2002

Opening .prn files in XL2000

Import reg files into Registry, without UAC
Hi, I've got a .reg file to be imported silently in a batch. The file contains only entries in HKEY_CURRENT_USER, therefore can be imported without elevation. This works well with the regedit /s switch on limited accounts, however on admin accounts, elevation UAC prompt is still shown, even though it's not needed. How can I prevent this? Thanks, Jens Jens M�ller wrote: >Hi, > >I've got a .reg file to be imported silently in a batch. The file contains >only entries in HKEY_CURRENT_USER, therefore can be imported without >elevation. >...

Retreive a deleted file
How can I retreive a delted file Hi Janet If you have setup Excel to automatically create backup copies; then check that folder for the last backed-up version....If it is from your PC, check out the Recylcle Bin (on your desktop) and restore the file. If the file was on a network drive you may need to contact your network administrator and check whether they can recover. -- Jacob (MVP - Excel) "Janet" wrote: > How can I retreive a delted file Go into your Recycle Bin. If deleted from there; http://www.ozgrid.com/Services/recover-deleted-files.htm ...

Save Outlook attachments to PC folder automatically
Hi All, I am an absolute newbie to Outlook programming who has been entrusted with the task of figuring out how to get Outlook to dump attachments to emails sent in by certain users to a specified folder on the PC without having to do it manually. I could not get Rules Wizard to do this. Any pointers on how to go about this is really appreciated. Thanks, Rahul Hi, I found the soluton at a website and leave the link for those who might be interested, http://www.outlookvba.com/examples/code/saveattachmentsimp ..htm Rahul >-----Original Message----- >Hi All, > >I am a...

Link to Page when saving to web
Hi, I have some drawings that have several shapes with "Go to page on double-click" behavior. How can I keep this functionality when saving as a web page? Thanks ...

Won't save office applications, appcrash
Help I cant save documents , excel etc in office 2007 on vista laptop. I have tried open office but this suffers the same problem. Also tried uninstalling and reinstalling office but no change. see below for word report, in excel the fault module was given as PROPSYS.dll Problem Event Name: APPCRASH Application Name: WINWORD.EXE Application Version: 12.0.4518.1014 Application Timestamp: 45428028 Fault Module Name: unknown Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0 Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000 Exception Code: c0000005 Exception Offset: 00000001 ...

Log file
Where do i find my log files? On an NT based system: go to start, run, type eventvwr, then hit enter. There you'll see the application, system, and security logs. >-----Original Message----- >Where do i find my log files? >. > ...

Howto save an edited xml doc w/MSXML
The following script modifies the content of my xml file: --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Dim nodeSel, nodeVal, index Dim name : name = "//ROOT/first_level/second_level/third_level" Dim xmlfile : xmlfile = "temp.xml" Dim value : value = "false" Dim xDoc Set xDoc = CreateObject( "MSXML.DOMDocument" ) index = 0 If xDoc.Load( xmlfile ) Then Set nodeSel = xDoc.selectSingleNode( name ) 'WScript.Echo "Found node", nodeS...

Need to show file properties dialog box
Hello I need to show the shell's file properties dialog box. I tried converting old vb6 code into vb.net but it gives me error. Here's my code: Private Structure SHELLEXECUTEINFO Dim cbSize As Long Dim fMask As Long Dim hwnd As Long Dim lpVerb As String Dim lpFile As String Dim lpParameters As String Dim lpDirectory As String Dim nShow As Long Dim hInstApp As Long Dim lpIDList As Long Dim lpClass As String Dim hkeyClass As Long Dim dwHotKey As Long D...

how to read .MSG files without Outlook ?
How to read .MSG files without Outlook ? Do you know a good .msg viewer ? Thanks to everybody ... E. to the best of my knowledge, there isn;t a msg viewer. You need to use outlook or exchange messaging client. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Join OneNote Tips mailing list: http://www.onenote-tips.net/ ...

Macro help with saving a spreadsheet with date and time in it
Can someone help me with some code that would save a file name as "schedule-mm-dd-yyyy-hh:mm"? Thanks, Alan Alan, how about something like this Sub Save_As() ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:="Schedule " & Format(Now, "mm-dd-yyyy-hh-mm") & ".xls", FileFormat:= _ xlNormal, Password:="", WriteResPassword:="", ReadOnlyRecommended:=False _ , CreateBackup:=False End Sub -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Fee...

Repair Corrupt Excel File
I have an excel 2003 workbook that will not open. The file is about 14MB. I have tried the repair utility within Excel but it still will not open. Anyone have any ideas? I have had success opening corrupt files with OpenOffice http://openoffice.org In article <CF4A5951-DCD9-4508-B995-FB7F6585BF78@microsoft.com>, "Dave" <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have an excel 2003 workbook that will not open. The file is about 14MB. I > have tried the repair utility within Excel but it still will not open. > Anyone have any ideas? The Spreadsh...

How to delete stuck file from "All Junk e-mail" Box ?
How to delete stuck file from "All Junk e-mail" Box ? I'm using WLM on Win7. Thanks for any help. "Jdr" <omni@msn.net> wrote in message news:C2919371-6A82-4478-A411-8FEB13F66B41@microsoft.com... > How to delete stuck file from "All Junk e-mail" Box ? > I'm using WLM on Win7. Thanks for any help. try dragging it to the deleted folder. "c.d." <invalid@iglou.com> wrote in message news:es$OnIzzKHA.4384@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > > "Jdr" <omni@msn.net> wrote in message > news:C29193...

Accessing PST File from Multiple Partitions
The setup is a standard home Outlook 2003 configuration from an ISP's POP server. It has worked fine for years. I have the server configured to retain mail for a couple days, so that I can check the web interface from the office or from a laptop at the coffee shop even if the home machine is up and has pulled in Email, as it does every few minutes. Works fine. I recently put Windows 7 on the home machine, installing it on a separate partition. Eventually I would guess that it will be the standard OS on this machine, but for now it is experimental and the machine defaults to th...