Sweet & simply - how do I enable a macro? - MANUALLY

running excel 2k;

All I want to know, is how do I enable a macro.
I don't care if the sheet opens & ASK's if it's OK to enable macros -
I want to know how to do MANUALLY - whatever the "yes" answer to that
question is doing?

What pulldown / button do I access to enable macros?

And PLEASE don't tell me I have to lower my security! ;-)

So - in sum - I want to manually enable macros without taking my
security off high.
I've searched help (yes, I actually try this first, I don't know why -
I almost never get an answer I want); searched the groups, found
nothing that addresses this seemingly simple question.

TIA - Bob
0
bobg.hahc (3)
2/6/2008 5:53:40 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Look at digitally signing your project. Other than that there is not much you
can do except (I know you don't want to hear this) lower your security to
medium. That is the whole point to the medium security level... To give you
the option to enable macro's...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"bobg.hahc@gmail.com" wrote:

> running excel 2k;
>
> All I want to know, is how do I enable a macro.
> I don't care if the sheet opens & ASK's if it's OK to enable macros -
> I want to know how to do MANUALLY - whatever the "yes" answer to that
> question is doing?
>
> What pulldown / button do I access to enable macros?
>
> And PLEASE don't tell me I have to lower my security! ;-)
>
> So - in sum - I want to manually enable macros without taking my
> security off high.
> I've searched help (yes, I actually try this first, I don't know why -
> I almost never get an answer I want); searched the groups, found
> nothing that addresses this seemingly simple question.
>
> TIA - Bob

LoL

Jim;

TX much; appreciate your reply!

yep; nothing I like less than telling a user to lower security - way
too scary!
But you did answer my question, and the answer is, can't be done.
(not the way I want it done anyway:)

it seems that dig sig would then be the only solution. this is fine
for me, but not for the [above]-average user that writes their own
macros...

I've never digitally signed anything, so I'll look into that... assume
I can create my own certificate - this is all internal use type
stuff....

TX again!
Bob

On Feb 6, 12:10 pm, Jim Thomlinson <James_Thomlin...@owfg-Re-Move-
This-.com> wrote:
> Look at digitally signing your project. Other than that there is not much you
> can do except (I know you don't want to hear this) lower your security to
> medium. That is the whole point to the medium security level... To give you
> the option to enable macro's...
> --
> HTH...
>
> Jim Thomlinson
>
> "bobg.h...@gmail.com" wrote:
> > running excel 2k;
>
> > All I want to know, is how do I enable a macro.
> > I don't care if the sheet opens & ASK's if it's OK to enable macros -
> > I want to know how to do MANUALLY - whatever the "yes" answer to that
> > question is doing?
>
> > What pulldown / button do I access to enable macros?
>
> > And PLEASE don't tell me I have to lower my security! ;-)
>
> > So - in sum - I want to manually enable macros without taking my
> > security off high.
> > I've searched help (yes, I actually try this first, I don't know why -
> > I almost never get an answer I want); searched the groups, found
> > nothing that addresses this seemingly simple question.
>
> > TIA - Bob

0
bobg.hahc (3)
2/6/2008 7:28:54 PM
You can create a dig sig for your computer using the MS Office SelfCert Tool.

The key cannot be exported to another computer.

See more on this in Excel Help>digital certificate

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 11:28:54 -0800 (PST), bobg.hahc@gmail.com wrote:

>LoL
>
>Jim;
>
>TX much; appreciate your reply!
>
>yep; nothing I like less than telling a user to lower security - way
>too scary!
>But you did answer my question, and the answer is, can't be done.
>(not the way I want it done anyway:)
>
>it seems that dig sig would then be the only solution. this is fine
>for me, but not for the [above]-average user that writes their own
>macros...
>
>I've never digitally signed anything, so I'll look into that... assume
>I can create my own certificate - this is all internal use type
>stuff....
>
>TX again!
>Bob
>
>On Feb 6, 12:10 pm, Jim Thomlinson <James_Thomlin...@owfg-Re-Move-
>This-.com> wrote:
>> Look at digitally signing your project. Other than that there is not much you
>> can do except (I know you don't want to hear this) lower your security to
>> medium. That is the whole point to the medium security level... To give you
>> the option to enable macro's...
>> --
>> HTH...
>>
>> Jim Thomlinson
>>
>> "bobg.h...@gmail.com" wrote:
>> > running excel 2k;
>>
>> > All I want to know, is how do I enable a macro.
>> > I don't care if the sheet opens & ASK's if it's OK to enable macros -
>> > I want to know how to do MANUALLY - whatever the "yes" answer to that
>> > question is doing?
>>
>> > What pulldown / button do I access to enable macros?
>>
>> > And PLEASE don't tell me I have to lower my security! ;-)
>>
>> > So - in sum - I want to manually enable macros without taking my
>> > security off high.
>> > I've searched help (yes, I actually try this first, I don't know why -
>> > I almost never get an answer I want); searched the groups, found
>> > nothing that addresses this seemingly simple question.
>>
>> > TIA - Bob

0
Gord
2/6/2008 10:52:12 PM
Gord-

Terrific! biggest problem in finding stuff w/ ms, is knowing where to
search, and what to search for ;-)

Didn't know you could do this.... great to know!

TX again!

On Feb 6, 4:52 pm, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote:
> You can create a dig sig for your computer using the MS Office SelfCert Tool.
>
> The key cannot be exported to another computer.
>
> See more on this in Excel Help>digital certificate
>
> Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
>
> On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 11:28:54 -0800 (PST), bobg.h...@gmail.com wrote:
> >LoL
>
> >Jim;
>
> >TX much; appreciate your reply!
>
> >yep; nothing I like less than telling a user to lower security - way
> >too scary!
> >But you did answer my question, and the answer is, can't be done.
> >(not the way I want it done anyway:)
>
> >it seems that dig sig would then be the only solution. this is fine
> >for me, but not for the [above]-average user that writes their own
> >macros...
>
> >I've never digitally signed anything, so I'll look into that... assume
> >I can create my own certificate - this is all internal use type
> >stuff....
>
> >TX again!
> >Bob
>
> >On Feb 6, 12:10 pm, Jim Thomlinson <James_Thomlin...@owfg-Re-Move-
> >This-.com> wrote:
> >> Look at digitally signing your project. Other than that there is not much you
> >> can do except (I know you don't want to hear this) lower your security to
> >> medium. That is the whole point to the medium security level... To give you
> >> the option to enable macro's...
> >> --
> >> HTH...
>
> >> Jim Thomlinson

0
bobg.hahc (3)

importing text file into excel file using macro
Hi, How to import text file into excel file using Macro? Can this proces run on form menu button? Please help and give me some ideas of doin it. I have attached a text file for your reference. Thanks, An Attachment filename: rdata.txt Download attachment: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=66130 -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com >Hi, >How to import text file into excel file using Macro? Can this process >run on form menu button? Please help and give me some ideas of doing >it. I have attached a text file for your r...

Macro that deletes values with condition
Hi, I need a macro that deletes duplicates of numbers that appear an odd number of times and that deletes duplicates and the value duplicated an even number of times. Example: Original data A 1 2 3 1 2 1 2 3 4 Result: A 1 2 4 Values 1 and 2 must remain and only delete duplicates because they appear an odd number of times (3), 3 must be deleted because it appears an even number of times (2) and 4 appears because it has no duplicates. Hope this can be done! Thank you so much Hi Insert a heading in row 1 and try this macro: Sub aaa() Dim f As ...

CONDITION IN MACRO #2
This is an update to an earlier question I posed. I am using Access 2002. I'm trying to use a Condition in a Macro to determine whether or not to SetValue. It appears that the Condition will not allow me to use a "wildcard" (asterisk). The Field I'm checking is filled with entries like CRUZ SA or CRUZ SB or CRUZ SC. I simply want to set the Condition to look for CRUZ*...meaning any entry that begins with CRUZ. The Condition I set up is [CLASS]="CRUZ*". It doesn't work. But, when I set the Condition to [CLASS]="CRUZ SA" it works. Access Help seem...

Macros Disabled #2
Hello, I have a user running Excel 2000 on a Win 2000 sp3 machine. She has a file with several macros. The file is a form with data fields for names, numbers, etc. As soon as she enters any data and clicks the tab button to go to the next field, she gets an error message that the Macros have been disabled and the Tab key won't go to the next field. She emailed me the file and when I open it on my machine (same setup), I first get asked if I want to enable the macros. I say Yes - and everything works fine. I emailed the file back to the user, but it's still broken on her...

Record Macro Relative does not work?
Can someone help me with this macro. I want to go to any cell of my choice and press f2 to edit, then go to the fifth character of that cell, then select the next 6 characters and change them to a smaller font size (8), then "enter". I tried to make this macro using the record macro function, but it did not work how I want it to. It ends up pasting the contents of the cell which I used to record the macro initially. Can this kind of macro be done? To get a relative recorded macro, make sure the stopr recording toolbar is visible, it has 2 icons, one is to s...

mail enabling public folders
I would like to mail enable a public folder, It is my understanding that this is normally done through ESM : ...First Storage Group | Public folder store|Public Folders Right-click the folder and select tasks, the mail enable. Here's problem: when I right click, I just get 'help' and 'properties'. Do I need to turn something on to enable the 'tasks' option? BTW, I'm running Exchange 2003 Std in native mode. Thanks, Steve Hello, Yes, this can be done in ESM but in another location... Under the Administrative Group --> Folders --> Publi...

Some macro help with formatting object please
I have a macro that turns on the calculate command function while the user works in it. I was asked if I could have the color of the text box that launches the macro turned RED when the calculate feature has been turned off. Is that possible? TIA! activesheet.textbox1.backcolor=&h0000ff -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Purbecks (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Alan" <me@here.now> wrote in message news:oYeGc.8684$WM5.492396@news20.bellglobal.com... > I have a macro that turns on the calculate command fu...

Macro HELP!
I am trying to build a macro that will check for the day of the week in cell A1. "Mon", "Tue etc.., if true, it will copy the contents of another cell and paste to another cell. Hope this is discriptive enough. Help the newbie ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ~~Now Available: Financial Statements.xls, a step by step guide to creating financial statements Cycle, I think you should ask a more specific question. Maybe this is a first step...

Yet another Lotus macro question
I have for the most part converted to Excel but have a simple macro that on the surface cannot be converted. The Lotus macro used a database, template and list of branch names. The macro itself started with the name of the first branch, copied it to the template, sucked in the data for that branch and then printed the report. Then it went down to next name on the list and repeated the process until it reached the bottom of the list. In Excel it seems to indicate I have to repeat the steps for each and every branch on the list and not loop back through a 8 line macro that refers to the ...

Enable send only account
I'd like to set one account to be able to send but not to receive. I've tried leaving the receive account blank but it won't let me do that. So I put in an invalid account and that works but I get error messages firom OE now amnd then Is there a better way? thanks Not for spamming purposes, I hope? Tools | Options | Servers. Munge the Incoming, (Pop3), info and see if that works without error messages. If no joy, create a message rule. Where the To line contains people. Delete it from server. Click on the blue Contains and enter the e-mail addres...

How do I set a Word doc to always print manual feed?
In Word 2003, you'd go to page setup, paper source. I can't find anything comparable in 2007. I print a lot of labels & letterhead & need this. The dialog is the same - click the arrow bottom right of the Page Setup Group on the Page Layout tab. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>&...

Excel 2007 Macro: Open a file from any folder
Hello. How do you code a macro so that you can pop up a file dialog screen to open a worksheet from any folder of your choice? Thanks in advance. Same as always: Dim myName As String myName = Application.GetOpenFilename If myName = False Then MsgBox "You pressed cancel" Exit Sub End If Workbooks.Open myName HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "C C" <someone@atsbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:eS8FI0UeIHA.3940@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Hello. How do you code a macro so that you can pop up a file dialog screen to open a worksheet > from any folder of y...

How do enter accounts manually?
I have recently opened 2 new accounts with Wells Fargo and I can't add them to MS Money. When I try, Money just opens up new copies of my older accounts. Wells Fargo saids that I have to create them manually, but I can't seem to be able to do that. Anybody have a solution? On Oct 22, 12:19 pm, PeterA <Pet...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Wells Fargo saids that I have to create them manually, but I can't seem to be > able to do that. Anybody have a solution? When prompted to choose a bank from the list, click on the link that says "my bank or brokerage...

Manually importing stock price history en masse into Money 2005
Hi, I have Money 2005 Deluxe (Didn't see any reason to upgrade to later versions, not much functional/features difference). I want to see how my investment portfolio did over a period of time (say 10 years). Since I installed Money in year 2005, I have all stock prices updates automatically since then (by using online stock price updates.) But I want to see performance before 2005 for historical and statistical purposes of my portfolio analysis. I can get all historical stock prices in Excel or text or in some other comma delimited format from MSN or Yahoo Finance (right from the ...

macro #5
i want to make a macro record saving a file but it has to be differnet name file on the sheet. example if i change the name on the cell the save got to be the same name too when i click on save the macro would be asign to a picture. try activeworkbook.SaveAs Filename:=range("a1") "guest" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:047f01c39a78$28ce7d40$a301280a@phx.gbl... > i want to make a macro record saving a file but it has to > be differnet name file on the sheet. example if i change > the name on the cell the save got to be the s...

Excel macro for copying range to another worksheet
On a monthly basis, I would like to copy the completed range (varies from month to month) of a database (Sheet1) to a master list (Sheet3). Once the data has been copied I intend to manually delete the entries of Sheet1 and start anew for the new month =96 for eventual transfer to Sheet3. The idea is to copy each month=92s data at the bottom of the previous months=92 (Sheet3). I followed Excel=92s record macro command but the macro I ended up with is not capable of placing the new data at the bottom of the existing one; it simply keeps overwriting the previous entry. Unfortunately, I don=92t...

Enable Macro Message
How can you disable the message upon opening a file without setting the security to lowest? I do not want to give the user options to disable or enable the macro. Is that possible? Thanks. This is a user's security setting--not a developer's security setting. If you could change it, it wouldn't be of much use to the user, huh? Rook wrote: > > How can you disable the message upon opening a file without setting the > security to lowest? I do not want to give the user options to disable or > enable the macro. > > Is that possible? > > Thanks. -- Da...

Named Ranges
Hi! I created several worksheets that contained huge lists, so I created a dynamic named range. Now that the name has been inserted in my array formulas, my Macro runs very slowly. The Macro unprotects one of my sheets, sorts the data in a table, hides the blank rows and the protects the sheet again. There are no related named range formulas in that worksheet, so I'm not sure why it would be affected. The Macro ran quickly when I had a defined range of data. Would giving a named range like 'Date' and having text in my workbook with 'Date' create conflicts? Could this...

Creating Event procedures from a macro
Hi, I'm using Jon Peltier's workaround (to Excel's inability to create hyperlinks to chart sheets) to create a table of contents. The following event procedure is placed in the code module for the "contents" sheet. It activates the chart sheet when the user selects the linked cell: ' Thank you Jon! Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range) If Not Intersect(Target, Range("B2")) Is Nothing Then Charts("Chart1").Activate End If End Sub This works fine, except that I need to create it on the fly from within a ma...

Macro won't delete? Any ideas?
Hi, I inserted an Excel 5.0 dialog worksheet into my spreadsheet. Excel seemed to insert also a macro, which I then located (Tools -> Macro -> Macros, then deleted all the macros in the document). I also deleted the worksheet. However, since then, Excel asks me every time I open it if I would like to enable macros. This is very annoying seeing as I thought I deleted them. Can anyone direct me where I might find the remaining macro? thanks. G Gabbon You have to delete the module that held the code too. Check here http://www.nickhodge.co.uk/tipstrick.htm#macrowarningremoval ...

Microsoft Excel 2007 to Mac Excel 2008 Issue regarding Macros
I have created worksheets on my PC using MS Excel 2007. I transfered them to a Mac user and when open the excel worksheet on his computer it tells me &quot;Excel 2008 for Mac can't run the Macros&quot; <br><br>Can someone maybe please help me to a way around this ???? Is there a version that does support macros ? Or...can the macros be re-created &amp; run ? > Is there a version that does support macros ? Or...can the macros be re-created &amp; run ? <br><br>Mac Excel 2004. ...

Excel macro #12
I have recorded two macroes, put them together and added if-then-else statement, but there is something wrong. It does not work. Both macroes work fine separately. I try to filter data from a base workbook to an active workbook and make it run automatically every time when the file is opened. Excel should check if a base file is open and if so run the filter routine. If that file is not open it should be opened and run filter. Sub macroname() If IsFileOpen("\\serverName\path\fileName.xls") Then Workbooks("fileName.xls").Sheets("Sheet1").Range("rangeName1...

Small macro problem
Dim rng As Range Set rng = Range("g17").End(xlDown).Resize(1, 1) rng.AutoFill Destination:=rng.Resize(rng.Columns.Count, 2) What I want the above to do, is to go to the last item in Column G (say G5) and copy it to the cell below (G6), but this fills both G6 and H7. I feel sure it is very easy to resolve but I seem to have tried all permutations without success. Please advise where I am going wrong. Bob Switch your Row/Column values in .Resize(): Dim rng As Range Set rng = Range("G17").End(xlDown) rng.AutoFill Destination:=rng.Resize(...

How to tell if a mailbox has an Autoforwarding rule enabled?
I was wondering if there is a way to centrally see if users have or not enable Autoforwarding rules on the mailbox. The idea is to avoid looping issues and autoforwarding to all users in the Org. And just want to know if i can report or search for an attribute somewhere that could tell me if autoforwarding is enabled or not. Thanks a lot in advance for your help! Martin H. ...

Custom format macro?
Can I write a macro to format a number? I have a bunch of cells containing time intervals stored as floating point numbers in units of days. These are not dates, but are stored in the same format. Some examples: 1 1 day 2.5 2.5 days or 2 days, 12 hours 0.125 3 hours 0.020833 30 minutes and so on. These values are calculated. I would like to display them as nnn.n u where "nnn.n" is a floating point number formatted to 1 decimal place and "u" is a character indicating the units (Y=years, D=days, H=hours, M=minutes, S=seconds). The ...