Summing instances of text across worksheets

Hello, I have a workbook with separate sheets for each month. The sheets
contain a list client names (entered exactly the same on each sheet). I need
to summarize how many times a client name appears in total. For example, John
Brown may appear Jan & Feb (=2) where Mary Brown may appear Jul, Sep, Dec
(=3).

I've been trying pivot tables without luck. Hoping someone can help.

Thanks in advance!
0
George6668 (260)
10/7/2008 7:40:01 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Never mind, I consolidated all the worksheet data into one and the pivot
table works fine.

Thanks anwyay!

"George" wrote:

> Hello, I have a workbook with separate sheets for each month. The sheets
> contain a list client names (entered exactly the same on each sheet). I need
> to summarize how many times a client name appears in total. For example, John
> Brown may appear Jan & Feb (=2) where Mary Brown may appear Jul, Sep, Dec
> (=3).
>
> I've been trying pivot tables without luck. Hoping someone can help.
>
> Thanks in advance!
0
George6668 (260)

Sums
Trying to sum all F13 cells on multiple worksheets where H13 is >0 Tried =IF('Store # 85:[Store # (35)]Store # (35)'!H13>0,SUM('Store # 85:[Store # (35)]Store # (35)'!F13)) and getting a #REF error One way, put all the sheet names (not just first and last) in a range, then define a name like MyLst or use the range itself =SUMPRODUCT(SUMIF(INDIRECT("'"&MyLst&"'!H13"),">0",INDIRECT("'"&MyLst&"'!F13"))) if the sheet names are in Z1:Z20 you can select that range and type in a name in th...

Formatted text in multiple lines in CListCtrl #3
I would like to know how can I display formatted text (Different fonts and colors) in multiple lines in a single cell in CListCtrl large icon view. I have seen samples on codeproject/codeguru that deals with changing text color/font. But I would like to display formatted text (e.g: Some bold text and some different color in multiple lines in a single item) along with an icon in each cell. How can I achieve this using CListCtrl? If not, can you please suggest any alternative solutions? The following article on codeproject suggests on how to change the row height in an owner drawn list control...

Hyperlinks with hidden worksheets
Good afternoon all, I have a workbook containing several worksheets. I have included an Introduction Worksheet with Hyperlinks to each sheet. However, I would like to be able to have the worksheets hidden (or very hidden), except the Introduction sheet, until the Hyperlink is clicked, then that sheet is activated, and when exited (by command button), this sheet becomes hidden again, and returns the user to the Introduction sheet. I hope I have expalained this well enough. I have some knowledge of VBA,( I have already set up the Command Buttons on the worksheets). Any help on this matter wou...

Multiple instances of Outlook #3
MS Office pro 2003 SP2 Situation: One PC multiple users. Normally logged on to PC and network as MainUser. One Outlook-account "MainUser" and 5 accounts "User1" etc. Normally we are logged on to Outlook with the account MainUser. By closing and restarting Outlook we can log on to any other of the accounts. Question: Is it possible to have multiple instances of Outlook open at the same time so we can view both MainUser and e.g. User1?? knut Outlook can only run under one MAPI profile at a time. XP's Quick user switching might allow you to run it multiple tim...

Duplicating parts of a worksheet
I am working with an excel worksheet with five columns (account, date description, purchase order, and expense amount). I want to summariz from this worksheet all of the expenses by account. I know how to get the total expenses for each account from this list but I want to be able to create another worksheet for each account tha lists date, description, purchase order, and expense amount. Is ther a way to do this without requiring double entering of everything -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com This sounds like a job for a Pivottable. You can create a nice summary repor...

Text Box Justify
How do I justify text across a text box? Typing indirectly seems the only way to create justified text. Any editing or pasting renders full width justiying inoperable. Any ideas out there? Thanks!! -- StevieB. StevieB. <redhousecottage@britt.uk.net.> was very recently heard to utter: > How do I justify text across a text box? > Typing indirectly seems the only way to create justified text. > Any editing or pasting renders full width justiying inoperable. Pasting will use the format of the source text unless you tell it otherwise. You'll need to paste as plain text or rea...

Text Box in Publisher
I am trying to create a text box in publisher with the measurement of 5.75 (h) x 5 (w). But publisher is making the height 5.751. How do I correct this? Is this even possible. Don't think it is possible... The .001 is so tiny it shouldn't make much difference. I can get a true 5.75 in Publisher 2000 but as soon as I copy/paste it goes back to 5.751 in 2002, 2003 and 07. Lines do the same. I can create a rectangle in a draw program, paste special into Publisher, ungroup, this rectangle will maintain the correct size. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Nikki" &l...

loop through all worksheets
My workbook has over 100 worksheets. I want to be able to execute the code below, have it cycle through all worksheets and when done leave the worksheet that was active when the code was started active. Application.ScreenUpdating = False Dim n As Single For n = 1 To Sheets.Count With Sheets(n) .Activate .Range("A3").Activate End With Next n Application.ScreenUpdating = True Sub LoopAllWS() Dim ws As Worksheet Dim wsStart As Worksheet Set wsStart = ActiveSheet For Each ws In Worksheet With ws 'No nee...

Date To Text
Hello All, It sounds like a simple thing, but I am having a nightmare trying to find an easy way to take a formated date field and put it into a Text field in the same format. For example the date format shows 01/05/2003 if I paste that into a Text field then I just get the date serial number. If I use a macro like : day(a1)&"/"&month(a1)&"/"&year(a1) then I get 1/5/2003 Any ideas on how to get 01/05/2003 in the text field? Many thanks in advance. Best Regards, Derek =TEXT(A1,"dd/mm/yyyy") -- HTH Bob Phillips "Derek Timothy" ...

conditional formating with text
I have two columns of data (A:B), and want to highlight values in Col B in coloured text, where the adjacent cell in Col A contains data entered in brackets. The data in column A is a mixture of numbers and text and formatted as 'General' so that a number in brackets does not appear as a negative value. I've used CF before but can't seem to enter a formula that works. Any ideas? If there cannot be any other parenthesizes then you can use In the CF use formula is and =ISNUMBER(FIND("(",A1)) -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "s...

Form becomes disabled/text invisible
Hi, I have a class that inherits from Form. It's pretty simple; it displays text. I have multiple of these, which get constructed dynamically. Unfortunately, if I click on one of these Forms, it becomes disabled, and the text inside of it is no longer visible (the scroll bar is no longer visible, etc.). In fact, it causes the rest of the windows to become disabled as well. It's as if the application has become too busy to maintain the Form's visibility. The application is multi-threaded. What's going on? Thanks. Julie Julie skrev: > Hi, > I have a cl...

CRM Email no text in body
HI, I have a problem with my CRM and email, for some reason when I send an email thru the CRM, whether it be thru SALES for Outlook Client or directly thru the CRM the bosy of the text gets replaced with a single < there is nothing else. It happens when using templates or simply typing "this is really pissing me off" but the subject line does come thru. Any suggestions??? This sounds like some form of HTML parsing issue. As a troubleshooting step, you should crack open the DB and see what is actually being stored for that e-mail body in the DB. This would be in the Ema...

Copy Text from Word Doc into E-mail message
I have the following macro to send out an e-mail with an attachment. Sub SendMailMorning() Set objMail = Application.CreateItem(0) With objMail .Subject = "Subject" .To = "address" .CC = "address" .BCC = "address" .Attachments.Add "c:\temp\File.rtf" .Send End With End Sub However I would like to be able to take the text out of the word doc and place it into the message of the e-mail instead of attaching it. Is this possible? Thanks - What Word doc? All the text or just some?=20 F...

long text not visible in the cell of excel

right justify text ot columns?
I have a column with lots of figures ranging between one and fou digits. I want to place digits into separate columns using text t columns but right justified. I thought right justifying the figure first then using text to columns would work but everything stil appears left justified. Any suggestions -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi The justification of a cell is just cosmetic. You can use Text to Columns whatever the formatting is. An alternative is to use formulas: =MID(A1,1,1) =MID(A1,2,1) =MID(A1,3,1) etc Once done, if you want it right-justified, just format it as...

Need formula to check data in 2 columns to sum 3rd column
Need a formula to enter on Report Sheet under Month as indicated from tables below. The data base worksheet has info inserted daily and the report will be on another worksheet to calculate as data is updated. Any ideas?? (Need total paid for all rows paid to Name 1 with dates in month of Jan) Data Base Worksheet Report Sheet NAME DATE PAID NAME JAN FEB Name 1 01/01/04 $200.00 Name 1 ??Paid ??Paid Name 1 01/22/04 $200.00 Name 2 ??Paid ??Paid Name 2 01/15/04 $200.00 Name 1 02/04/04 $200.00 Hi try the following =SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A100="Name 1"),--(YEAR(B1:B100)=2004),--(MONTH(B1:...

How do I automatically alphabetize multiple worksheets in a singl.
I have about 35 named worksheets in a workbook, and I would like to organize the sheets alphabetically. Is there a way to do this without moving each sheet individually by hand? I'm using Excel 2002. Thanks! You can use a macro: Chip Pearson's: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/sortws.htm David McRitchie's: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/buildtoc.htm#sortallsheets If you're new to macros, you may want to read David McRitchie's intro at: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm TS wrote: > > I have about 35 named worksheets in a workbook, and ...

Text
I downloaded a report into excel. One of the columns are numbers but can't calculate them. How do I change it to a number? I don't want to use (example.. A1*1) -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Copy an empty cell, select the import and do edit>paste special and select add If that doesn't work then you have invisible characters in the import -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "MileHigh >" <<MileHigh.1053v9@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:MileHigh.1053v9@excelforum-nospam.com... > I downloaded a report into excel. One of the ...

SUM numbers of a certain font color
I am making a sheet of customers that have contracts to build objects. In column A, there is a list of prices that are paid and not paid. The paid items are formated in red font color. Column B is the amount we have paid them. Is there a way to formate colum B so that when i change a number to red in column A, it will automatically update with the new SUM in colmn B? Hopefully not too confusing. Give this a try. Where there is a named range you want to count the red fonts is named DataY Sub SumColorCountRed() Dim Red3 As Integer Dim Cell As Range For Each Cell In Ran...

The instance name must be the same as computer name.
I keep getting this error when trying to install MS CRM 3.0 and I cannot get around it! I only have a default instance of a SQL server and it is registered as the same name as the server?? Please help very frustrating Hi Damien! "Damien" wrote >I keep getting this error when trying to install MS CRM 3.0 and I cannot >get > around it! I only have a default instance of a SQL server and it is > registered as the same name as the server?? CRM must be installed on an SQL Server that has been installed as a default instance. So if the computer name is SCHILLER the SQL-S...

Writing to text file
Hi all! Using VB 2008. I need to write to a text file. Create and write if it does not exist or append if it does. I have this code: If System.IO.File.Exists("G:\work\temp\TestTxtFiles\Box\testfile.txt") Then 'Open file for append. Using oFile As System.IO.StreamWriter = System.IO.File.AppendText("G:\work\temp\TestTxtFiles\Box\testfile.txt") oFile.WriteLine("Test file line 4") oFile.WriteLine("Test file line 5") oFile.WriteLine("Test file line 6") oFile.Close() End Usin...

Convert text string in format of cell reference to a cell reference
Is there any way of converting a text string in the format of a valid cell reference i.e. " 'Sheet1'!F23 " to an actaul cell reference that could be used in a formula? Frank You could use the INDIRECT() function. This will use the value in the cell as a cell reference. So if Merges!A1 was in B2, INDIRECT(B2) would return the value in Merges!A1 Andy. "Frank" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3EAAD6E9-C337-4BF6-B721-A7C75D5D99EA@microsoft.com... > Is there any way of converting a text string in the format of a valid cell referenc...

extrace a data record from large worksheet.
I would appreciate it if someone could give a bit of direction. I have a large spreadsheet - 139 cols by 170 rows - and I need to extract data from certain columns in certain rows. I'm thinking that I need to 'lookup' each label: about seven of them, and return for each of those lookup data from all 139 columns. ie: blue, red, purple, orange as row labels; getting date from jan2, jan3, jan4, jan5 ... columns. this date would go into a data list, under the columns: blue, red etc. I can do lookups, have some experience with arrays, and have worked with simple loops. I'm ju...

Clustering Exchange 2003 across regions
We have two Exchange servers that are in the same Administrative group and organization (last one is new built with no mailbox yet), what tool will be used to sync Public Folders and mail between two Exchange server - for DR? Basically we want two servers active and replicating with each other and functions are DR server in case anythin happens to the other one - these servers are located in NY and California - thus geoclustering is a must (just don't know the exact solution). Can anyone recommend a solution that will handle this EXACTLY - not what you think, but actual knowledge a...

Summing the last 200 days
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me - I need to add up the 200 most recent days for a spreadsheet and was wondering rather than messing with cut and paste if there was a formula that could do it all for me. I will have more than 200 days worth of info. Also the sheet I am adding up on has gaps between the weeks so its not just a matter of copying the formula over. Thanks! Louja, If you want the last 200 days of data - assuming one data point per day: =SUMIF(A1:A1000, ">=" & LARGE(A1:A1000,200), B1:B1000) Or within the last 200 days: =SUMIF...