Suming Up Time over the course of days

I have a sheet the contains event durations on specific days. Some
days have more than one event. I would like to add up all the event
times for each day on a second sheet and (line) chart the results
there.

The list get longer with each event.

 Tuesday Nov.2 2010	 10:16 am	 00:37:22
 Tuesday Nov.2 2010	 08:28 am	 00:15:48
 Monday Nov.1 2010	 08:30 am	 01:03:07
 Sunday Oct.31 2010	 06:36 pm	 00:09:20
 Sunday Oct.31 2010	 06:17 pm	 00:03:26
 Sunday Oct.31 2010	 05:27 pm	 00:07:42
 Sunday Oct.31 2010	 11:15 am	 00:27:19
 Sunday Oct.31 2010	 08:56 am	 00:45:26
 Saturday Oct.30 2010	 12:44 pm	 00:24:47
 Saturday Oct.30 2010	 08:44 am	 00:21:18
 Friday Oct.29 2010	 08:26 am	 01:04:21
 Thursday Oct.28 2010	 08:34 am	 00:59:17
 Wednesday Oct.27 2010	 03:11 pm	 00:07:32
 Wednesday Oct.27 2010	 12:44 pm	 00:36:42
 Wednesday Oct.27 2010	 08:23 am	 00:18:16
 Tuesday Oct.26 2010	 03:10 pm	 00:06:59
 Tuesday Oct.26 2010	 08:31 am	 00:45:01
 Monday Oct.25 2010	 06:58 pm	 00:45:58

I also have a Google Spreadsheet link
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AuRYdA1rSEcRdDd5dkg2a0RxOWwwTlNTbDRWTldwQ0E&hl=en&authkey=CP6j2dgN
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

On Nov 4, 10:14=A0am, wutzke <michael.wut...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a sheet the contains event durations on specific days. Some
> days have more than one event. I would like to add up all the event
> times for each day on a second sheet and (line) chart the results
> there.
[....]
> I also have a Google Spreadsheet linkhttps://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?=
key=3D0AuRYdA1rSEcRdDd5dkg2a0RxOWww...

I do not see any way to distinguish two events on the same day.  For
example, does the data for Oct 31 2010 represent 1, 2 or 3 events?

I suggest that you add an "event" column wherein you distinguish
events by a unique identifier.  You would probably put that in column
A and move everything to the right.

Then suppose you list each event identifier in Sheet2 column A.  Then
in Sheet2 column B, you might put the formula starting in B2 and
copying down:

=3DSUMIF(Sheet1!A:A,A2,Sheet1!D:D)

formatted as Custom [h]:mm:ss.

Caveat:  In Excel, time is represented as a decimal fraction of days;
and computer binary arithmetic with non-integers often produces
artifacts -- infinitesimal "errors".  For example,
IF(10.1-10=3D0.1,TRUE) returns FALSE(!) because the result of 10.1-10 is
infinitesimally different from the representation of 0.1, which itself
is not exact.

To avoid surprising results, it would be prudent to write:

=3DROUND(SUMIF(Sheet1!A:A,A2,Sheet1!D:D)*86400,0)/86400

formatted as Custom [h]:mm:ss.  That ensures that comparisons will
equivalent constants or other sums will match.

PS:  For broader participation, you might want to post future
inquiries using the MS Answers Forums at
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/officeexcel.
It's not that I like that forum.  It's just that MS has ceased to
support the Usenet newsgroups.  Hence, participation here is limited
to the sites that share a common newsgroup mirror, which is no longer
centralized at MS.

0
joeu2004 (766)

Time calculations for Scheduled vs Actual Employee Time and Wages 11-28-09
I am THRYING and TRYING to make a simple schedule worksheet for a manger to use to calculate the time he schedules an employee to clock in and out and what it will cost him in regards to his allocated budget and then to be able to compare it after the job is completed. BUT time calculations have thrown me for loop and I am stuck for hours on trying to calculate time fields. PLEASE DEAR GOD can someone help me. Below is a simple example of my worksheet. A2 (Time IN) = 1:00 PM A3 (Time OUT) = 5:00 PM A4 (Time Worked) = 4:00 (h:mm format) ...

Adding Barcode at time of sale??
We create our manufacturer pre-barcoded items using a dummy item number which we then replace by wanding the item with the Operations Manager item window open and the dummy # highlighted. If we forget to do that in advance, POS will not recognize the barcode when we sell the item so we have to do an item lookup to find it. Taking time to go into Manager at that point is alittle awkward with the customer waiting. Is there a way to replace the dummy item number in POS, during the sale?? -- WineGuy The Item Properties window in POS is essentially identical to the one in manager. Once yo...

Convert Time...!convert tenths of a second
How can i convert tenths of a second to time (Hours, min,sec ). Can this happen with macro..? Hi try the following formula =A1/(24*60*60*10) and format the resulting cell as time "Pape" wrote: > How can i convert tenths of a second to time (Hours, min,sec ). Can this > happen with macro..? try custom format [h]:mm:ss.0 if not available introduce it. you will get for e.g. 10:13:12.5 is this what you want Pape <Pape@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4102ED26-AD8D-4454-AE81-AA1C8E7C66F1@microsoft.com... > How can i convert tenths of a second to...

need variable time axis available in XY chart for area chart #3
I am unable to use different X axis in the Area chart, which is available in the X Y charts. How do I use the X Y chart features of variable X axis to make the area chart? ...

Time format control
Hi everyone, I have a time of 08:38 and would like to truncate the last minute by using formatting to achieve 08:30. I currently do this using a formula to remove the last minute. I have tried custom formatting of hh.m but I still get 08:38. I have even tried hh.m"0" but get 08:380. Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated. Regards Brad You can use this formula, it sounds as though you want round down to nearest 10th minute =FLOOR(A1,1/144) -- For everyone's benefit keep the discussion in the newsgroup. Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Brad kennedy" <brad_6663@hotmail...

delete from many tables at the same time
Hi I am new using Access, and this may be an elemental question, but anyway, I have three tables: Customers. Orders. Payments. (Customers' payments) Customers has as primary key the name of the customer and the other two tables have as a primary key an automatic ID integer. How can I configure Access in the way that If I erase a Customer from the table Customers the other two tables will be automatically updated erasing also their Orders and Payments? Thanks, Enrique. -- Eng. Enrique Lopez. Go to the Relationships window and, if not already done, creat...

Outlook Meeting alerts - all day appointments
Our office sends all day appointments (so that they appear at the top of the calendar day) for work from home, vacation, and sick notices to our respective teams so that at-a-glance we can see who is out for the day. We ask that everyone select Alert = None. Recently we have experienced this issue: Alerts are being sent to the invitees. When the sender is told of this and they open their appointment, None is showing. (This never happened in the past. We're not sure what might have changed except that we all went to 2007 last August.) Is this a bug or is there some configurat...

Excel file size increased 3 times after saving!!!!
Hi all, I have a very strange situation with my Excel workbook. I created Excel workbook with conditional formulas (no other formulas) which total size is 3 Mb. After I put simple data for calculation and saved the workbook the size increased to 10Mb! The data itself is just about 70Kb. I use Excel 2002 at work. I should put this workbook on our company server, but our network is not very good and people can't open it because of the 10MB. I have never seen this before! Can somebody help please? Thank you in advance! I don't claim to be an expert on Excel by any...

Date and time calculations
Hello, I have a problem with a formula in wich I like to add up an amount of hours to a date/time value. Please find below an example of what I am trying to do. Value A1: 15/03/2005 22:00 (dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm) Value A2: 5 (hours) In cel A3 I would like to get the value of A1+A2 (result 16/03/2005 03:00) Can someone suggest what formula I must use? Thanx very much! Robert =a1+(a2/24) Format the way you like. (5 hours is 5/24ths of a day.) Robert wrote: > > Hello, > > I have a problem with a formula in wich I like to add up an amount of > hours to a date/time value. >...

Time stamp in Excel Sheet
I am looking to entering a value into column A (Data Point), then on column B (Time Stamp), the time that value A was entered. Then another value will be entered into A2 and would like the time that Data Point 2 was entered into B2 and so on. I have tried the IF statement =IF(A1,NOW(),"") in B1,B2, B3... but every time the work sheet reculculates, the Time Stamp column becomes the same. How can I stop this from happening or am I going about this the wrong way. Take a look at http://www.4-consulting.com/News/Ezine_4/Ezine_4_03.htm#t16 "John M" <John M@discussi...

How do I set a macro to run at specific times?
Hi I have recorded a macro which I want to run automatically every hour. Could someone tell me how I do this You can read about the scheduling procedures at Chip Pearson's site: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/ontime.htm Nick123 wrote: > > Hi > > I have recorded a macro which I want to run automatically every hour. Could > someone tell me how I do this -- Dave Peterson ...

sunday is my week ending day
Hi All, When I use DATEDIFF(week, '6/1/2010', '6/6/2010') the answer I expect should be 0 because I consider Sunday my week ending day. The answer I get is 1 which is incorrect in my situation. How would I adjust for this? Thanks, rodchar You can use SET DATEFIRST to change first day of the week and check it's current value using SELECT @@DATEFIRST. But I think algorithm if DATEDIFF does not take it into account. Instead you can count number of days and divide it by 7. "rodchar" <rodchar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ...

Total of Time
I'm recording the time I spend working on a piece of work in a spreadsheet along with meeting details etc. I've 2 columns that are start and finish times and a third that works out duration. I then want to total the duration into total hours but I can't find a way to do this Any help please TIA Assuming your duration is in column C, just use =SUM(C1:C100) XL's default display will "roll over" every 24 hours. To get the actual total, choose Format/Cells/Number/Custom [h]:mm In article <#NJENCGYEHA.3596@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, "A" <a...

Stats microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (last 7 days) 07-05-10
"Caveat: Quantity is not necessarily a measure of Quality" Newsgroup.................: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general Stats Were Taken..........: Mon, 05 Jul 2010 08:15:20 GMT Stats Begin...............: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 08:26:44 GMT Stats End.................: Mon, 05 Jul 2010 07:03:30 GMT Days......................: 7 Total No. of Articles.....: 606 Total No. of Characters...: 1707259 Total Volume..............: 1667 Messages Per Day..........: 86.6 Characters Per Day........: 243894.1 Average Daily Volume......: 238 kB Total Posters This Week...:...

how do I set up my account for the first time?
new company has instructed to "change my outlook settings", but that's it. I know they use the pop3 outgoing, and I know my dsl server. I just don't think I'm doing something right! bibbpromo <bibbpromo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > new company has instructed to "change my outlook settings", but > that's it. I know they use the pop3 outgoing, and I know my dsl > server. I just don't think I'm doing something right! Tell us what version of Outlook you're using, what you've done so far, what doesn't work, and any...

how do I import data (distance and time) from MapPoint to Excel?
I have an Excel application which uses distabce and time obtained from MapPoint. Actually I enter those figures manually in my Excel worksheet. Is there way I can import these figures directlt to my Excel cells from MapPoint? Thank you for your answer ...

Changing default Appointment Time from 30 minutes?
Hi everyone, Can anyone tell me how to change the default Appointment Time from 30 minutes to say "0" minutes? I'm running Outlook 2003. Stephen Morgan <kpsm99@gmail.com> wrote: > Can anyone tell me how to change the default Appointment Time from 30 > minutes to say "0" minutes? I'm running Outlook 2003. Do you mean by "default appointment time" to be the time Outlook gives you between the start and end times when you create a new appointment? I believe 30 minutes is the minimum unless the slot for the appointment is preselected. If you...

Creating a cell that can automatically move forward 90/120/30 days
I need to make a cell change the date to a new date pre-determind on quaterly,weekly,monthly,annual schedule for scheduling of maintenance I want to be able to start with a date then have it autmatically chang to 90 days later at the end a schedule window. so 3 cells center on with date first one with early date, last one with late date and at th that date change the center one to a new start date thus moving th maintenance window forward 90 days -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com not sure if this is what you want but if today() + X is the startin date then I think rounddown(...

TIME function used in Excel #2
I'm new to these newsgroups, so I apologize if my etiquette is not appropriate. I'm trying to help a friend whose computer was recently replaced. In his new computer, his custom macro will not run. He gets a "Microsoft Visutal Basic Compile error: Can't find project or library" with the TIME function highlighted. I first suggested using the NOW or DATE function, but he said it creates an additional series of errors. I also tried installing 'Windows Script 5.6' to no avail. Any suggestions on how to get this TIME function to work? Thank you in advance for an...

Calendar (many) now stretched over two days
I will correct this with a backup I did earlier today. I have _many_ Calendar entries that now span two days where earlier today they just spanned one day. I don't know if this is related but I've had probelms with the Vista Clock updating itself to an hour earlier. It would seem that the news of Daylight Saving here in Europe hasn't been updated in Vista. I went to http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cp_dst Daylight Saving Time Help and Support Center to ,leanr more about this and was told there are no updates for me. In order to 'fool' Windows, I changed my Time Zo...

TIME SHEETS
I am trying to design a template to do timesheets with. How do I create a formula that will read in time, out time, lunch time then total for the week? (8:00am-12:00 then 1:00-5:00 = 8 hours? See Chip Pearson's site. http://www.cpearson.com/excel/overtime.htm Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Fri, 28 May 2010 11:54:58 -0700, puzzled <puzzled@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am trying to design a template to do timesheets with. How do I create a >formula that will read in time, out time, lunch time then total for the week? > (8:00am-12:00 then 1:00-...

date and time formatting
I have a formula in which the date and time are present in cells, bu when the destination cell returns them, they are in their numerica value. I need them to appear in the destination cell the same way the do in their home cells. here is the formula: ="p-v-w-"&B154&" ph "&E154&" fax "&H154&" ** "&X154&" * "&Y154&" "&AA154&" * "&" * "&AB154&" "&(Y4)&" - "&(Y5) y4 and y5 are the date and time cell refs Thanks and Happy ...

Another Question lol. Formula this time.
Hi again, I have a worksheet that I want to highlight if there is a number greater than zero by changing the text colour. =if(a1>0)colour text red Any advice would be gratefully received Check out Conditional Formatting under Format. Cell value is > Greater than > 0 > OK HTH Regards, Howard "Nevyn" <Nevyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3935B8CA-745A-4F5D-8504-B450B9E813C2@microsoft.com... > Hi again, > I have a worksheet that I want to highlight if there is a number greater > than zero by changing the text colou...

ScanPst have run time attributes?
Does ScanPST have attributes you can put after scanpst.exe. Such as file to scan and to run repair automatically after detection finishes, without having to hit enter. My PST is large and would like to have it run during the night. Nope. The program takes no command line parameters or switches and requires the user to enter the name of the .pst file that requires "fixing". There is at least one commercial alternative, "Advanced Outlook Repair" by DataNumen, Inc. I have no experience with this product but it advertises that it supports command line parameter...

Brick level backups job time variations
Exchange 2003 SP1 Veritas 9.1 I run brick level backups every night and IS backups every night too. As my IS is very small so I can do this usually do this safely. The brick level backups work fine and usually take around 4hrs to run, then every so often (there is no real pattern) it will take anything between 7hrs to 16hrs for the same backup. Has anyone else seen this at all? I know that brick level backups are probably unnecssary, but on a usual night I have the time to do them so I do. On 30 Aug 2006 03:29:27 -0700, "Clockender" <guy@hcr.co.uk> wrote: >Exchange 200...