SUM Function not Updating

Hello,

One of our business partners is having trouble w/an Excel document.  They
have the SUM function used multiple times throughout the document, and as
they have changed values in certain fields, the SUM has automatically updated
itself to reflect this.  It's not working anymore.  I have tried to redo the
formulas but they simply won't work.  The SUM stays the same regardless of
the values in the cells.  I can't even create a brand new column w/the SUM
function at the bottom...it won't up date either.

In a new document I can get the SUM function to work properly, however
copying and pasting into a new document doesn't work.  This is a very
extensive document and it would hours to redo it.  Does anyone have any
suggestions for getting the cells to update?  The document isn't protected.

Thanks,
Bobbie
is[removethispart]@nph.com
0
BobbieNPH (1)
8/16/2006 4:31:02 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Tools>Options>Calculation tab, check Automatic

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Bobbie @ NPH" <BobbieNPH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5A76FD23-D165-466A-99FE-7E1C6B3A3628@microsoft.com...
| Hello,
|
| One of our business partners is having trouble w/an Excel document.  They
| have the SUM function used multiple times throughout the document, and as
| they have changed values in certain fields, the SUM has automatically updated
| itself to reflect this.  It's not working anymore.  I have tried to redo the
| formulas but they simply won't work.  The SUM stays the same regardless of
| the values in the cells.  I can't even create a brand new column w/the SUM
| function at the bottom...it won't up date either.
|
| In a new document I can get the SUM function to work properly, however
| copying and pasting into a new document doesn't work.  This is a very
| extensive document and it would hours to redo it.  Does anyone have any
| suggestions for getting the cells to update?  The document isn't protected.
|
| Thanks,
| Bobbie
| is[removethispart]@nph.com

0
nicolaus (2022)

new features in office 2.1.1 update
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Power PC I was just wondering if there is a place somewhere that tells you what the new features, fixes and updates are in the new Microsoft update(2.1.1)? I always do the upgrades/updates, but can never find a rundown of what's changed. I'd love to have something like - Entourage - fixed the sounds, word, fixed compatability added borders - or whatever the noodley little changes are. ( i just made that list up as an example..except for the sounds being fixed YAH!) Does that exist somewhere., ive poked around and sea...

Help using the LARGE function "WITHOUT" using an array
Can someone show me how to accomplish the following by using the LARGE function "WITHOUT" using an array ? I'm trying to rank each product (most, second most, etc.) by weight. Data worksheet A B C 1 Product Type Pounds 2 Orange Fruit 600 3 Tomato Vegetable 500 4 Apple Fruit 700 5 Potato Vegetable 1,000 Using the LARGE function, the goal is to get the following result on another worksheet: Order worksheet A B C 1 Product 1 2 2 Fruit Apple Orange 3 Vegetable Potato Tomato On the Order workshee...

prices incorrect when updated
In my 401K account, when I update online I get the wrong price. I know my ticker symbol is correct, but there is a huge difference in the prices when compared to my statement- which is a current one with up to date figures. I use the ticker my fund pprovided me. I have searched through all of the other possible symbols and nothing remotely compares to the prices I have from my statement. Thanks for any help! Sue, I suggest you check your fund at other sites such as finance.yahoo.com or www.smartmoney.com Your paper statement can only show one day's price. It is possible that Money&...

Automatic update of links has been disabled
I thought I had removed all the links. Does this message when I open up Excel (2003 and 2007) mean that there are still links in the document, or that there were links previously...and now it's just going to show forever. Either way, how do I get rid of it. I bet you missed some. I'd use Bill Manville's FindLink program: http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/Default.htm Kevin wrote: > > I thought I had removed all the links. Does this message when I open up Excel > (2003 and 2007) mean that there are still links in the document, or that > there were links previ...

In which thread context Callback Functions work
Hey Friends I am creating 2 threads each of which set a callback function which gets called upon some event. Now I want to know in which contexxt this Callback Function is Working , as my application gets hanged when this callback function is working. hi vikrant can you give more details callback functions are called in the calling programs context if windows is calling a callback then it is in windows context when and why does it hangs what code have you written in the callback sorry not enough information "vikrant" <vikrant_kpr@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<...

How can I update all fields in Word 2007?
In Word 2003, I used to be able to Select All (Ctrl-A), then right-click anywhere and choose Update Field - and that would update all my cross-references in the document, including Tables of Contents and Figures. How can I do the same in Word 2007? (the former keystrokes don't work). Update Field may not be on the context menu depending on what, exactly, is included in the selection. However, Ctrl+A and then F9 will update all fields in the main body of the document. Note that switching to Print Preview and then back to your favorite view is also helpful, as this forces ...

Exel 2000
I am wondering if anyone can help me figure out how to finish m spreadsheet? I am doing a Budget spreadsheet. I am trying to track the irregula payments we make to our credit cards. I want to design a spreadshee that will show on one page all of the payments I have made to th credit card, listing the current balance beside the date they wer made. On the other sheet or the same sheet no matter I want to have th ability to input the amount of this months payment and have the shee automatically subtract it from the total owing and place the amount o the list of past payments. I have most of it...

Using other equations inside of SUM?
I'm working on a spreadsheet for payroll, where, if an employee is sick for seven hours, they'll enter 7S in cells B2 through O2 (two weeks). (7V for vacation, 7H for holiday, etc.). I then want to sum the value of these so that I'll have a total for sick time, a total for vacation time, etc. The equation for sick time is currently: ="Sick: "&IF(ISERR(SEARCH("S",B14)),0,LEFT(B14,1)) +IF(ISERR(SEARCH("S",C14)),0,LEFT(C14,1))+etc. Thereby returning the number of hours sick, if they were sick, and a 0 if they weren't, for each day. Is there a ...

Update picklist value with javascript
Does anyone know how to set a picklist value with javascript? This question is not so clear. What I mean is this: In Picklist1 I have a value "hello", with a returnValue 5 Picklist2 has the same set of values. How can I set picklist2 to select it's own value "hello", with a returnValue 5? If you are looking for a way to have 2 picklists which have the same value, look into the onchange event of the picklist properties. You can define a javascript. document.crmForm.Picklist1.value = document.crmForm.Picklist2.value or something in the likes of that. I hope th...

Writing a multi-function macro
Bob answered me this morning, but I haven't heard back, so let's try this again. I have a successful macro (reformatting), but I want to add another sub group portion. I don't know how to program it when the macro is recording, so I have to cut & paste. Unfortunatly, when I run the macro, it hits the first End Sub Group & stops, as you would expect. How can I nest a separate command into an existing macro? E-mail me if you have the knowledge & time: LenZGRMich(remove this)@netscape.ne Thanks Len, try something like this Sub macro1() MsgBox "This is macro 1&q...

Incorrect Sum
I am having a problem summing a column of numbers. These numbers are both negative and positive numbers. When I sum the numbers it comes to zero. This is correct, but when I reformat and take out a 30 decimal places I suddenly start getting numbers starting at about the 12th decimal place. These numbers are dollar amounts. I know they don't go beyond 2 decimal places. I've hand entered them. When I take all of the numbers out 30 decimal places, nothing shows up. It only does it on the sum. I tried summing only the negative numbers and postive numbers separately it works ...

If function with format
=if(a1>0,a1,"") A1 "text" or "number" in red color I want to print the value of cell A1 in Cell B1 with its format if above condition is true. Is it possible ? Use conditional formatting in B1. Set font color to Red when B1's value is equal to A1's value. It won't matter if A1 is empty or has a value <= 0, as it won't appear in B1 anyhow. I was almost tempted to say to just set font color for B1 to Red. Seems to me that would work (I'm almost positive it will), but there's probably something I'm missing somewhe...

Taking away a percentage from a sum.
Hi, I would like to subtract 15% from a cell which already has a formula. for example: =SUM(3600/H16) This gives me an answer, but I now want to take 15% off that answer without using any other cells. I thought =SUM(3600/H16)-1.15 would work but of course it just takes away 1.15 from the sum not 15% H16 will be an amount gathered from another worksheet and will be different each time. Any help would be appreciated Carl -- the-jackal Try: =3600/H16*(1-0.15) No need for the SUM() function in this instance. -- HTH Sandy In Perth, the ancient capital of Scotland and the crowning...

Summing Time #2
I wish to calculate the time the machine has actually run. D1 = 22:00 (Start Time) F1= Time Run E1 = 00:15 (Finish Time) D2 = 00:15 (Start) F2= Time Run E2 = 02:30 (Finish) D9 = 22:20 (Breakdown) E9 = 22:30 (Restart) D10 = 23:15 (Breakdown) E10 = 23:30 (Restart) D11 = 00:30 (Breakdown) E11 = 02:00 (Restart) Is there a formula that can scan a range (D9:E11) and give me tha answer in F1 of the time run between the Start & Finish times any help would be appreciated Pete Try: =SUM(E1:E2-D1:D2,-(E9:E11-D9:D11),--(E1:E2<D1:D2),-- (E9:E11<D9:D11)) Array-entered (press ctr...

Wildcard Usage: I absolutely need this to count?/sum? two or more criteri
_*Number*_ _*Status*_ _*Date*_ N01-02 Draft 4-May-05 N01-02 Draft 4-May-05 N01-92 In Process 15-Oct-05 N01-88 Draft 15-May-05 N01-29 In Process 9-Jul-05 N01-32 In Process 9-Jul-05 N02-22 Draft 24-Aug-05 N02-27 Draft 24-Aug-05 N20-12 Assigned 3-Dec-05 N24-19 Draft 24-Aug-05 N33-13 Doc Written 4-May-07 N44-04 Cancelled 15-Oct-05 My header are Number, Status, and Date (columns A,B and C). The dcuments represent my rows (A2-A13). Since I ...

Windows 7 update
I updated my windows os and now my system runs slower AND my sound will not work. Any clue? Windows Update has nothing to to with upgrading Windows. Please post any future questions about upgrading in this forum: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7install/threads LD wrote: > I updated my windows os and now my system runs slower AND my sound will > not > work. Any clue? LD wrote: > I updated my windows os and now my system runs slower AND my sound > will not work. Any clue? Which updates did you install onto your Windows 7 OS? (Prefe...

Updating Loan Accounts
I have Money 2003. I have a car loan, which is entered in Bills & Deposits for automatic entry into my checking account register once a month. How do I get Money to also update my Car Loan account in the future? (I have already made 10 car payments...none of them show up in the Car Loan account...how do I get the past payments in there without duplicating them in my checking account register?) I seem to be going around in circles. Thanks for any help. What do you mean you have a car loan entered in Bills & Deposits? A car loan in Money is typically a Loan Account, not something you ...

If function confused with 0.1
Hi, I have set up the following If function to determine if the answer to a simple subtraction of two decimal numbers is 0.1. =IF(C1=0.1,"yes","no") The calculation is merely C1=A1-B1 However, for some calculations it is giving the answer "no" when the answer is clearly 0.1! 1.7-1.6 gives a no response as does 1.4-1.3. Interestingly, from 4.1-4 all answers are no! Hope someone can help Cheers Chris, It's all to do with the way Excel does arithmetic. If you do you sum 1.7-1.6 and expand the formula cell to 9 decimal places y...

Sum(indirect(Address......
Hello, I am trying to produce a formula that will give the last 4 weeks average from a Row that contains the daily figures followed by the weely averages i.e A B C D E F G H I J K 1 Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Average Sun Mon Tue etc etc 2 5 4 5 4 5 4 5 4.5714 5 5 4 etc etc The weekly average is setup so if there is no data then it returns "". What i am doing is finding the last active cell on the column and then using that to set the cel...

Graph from a PIVOT table: update not working. Please Help!
Hello everyone ! I have an question for experts : I am trying to create a tool to allow users to see 1 graph the result of a table: let me explain the problem: the table is a PIVOT table. So when I change the PIVOT table (= it adds different data in a range of cell determined) It seems working very well for the first graph (the graph is doen wih the good data). But when I update the pivot table the graph doesn’t make any changes (it keeps old first data). I have to redefine the source data manually (the data series are good but the selection is not working!!) . Do you know a way to solv...

Question on Security Update for Exchange 2003
Hello, I have a question in regards to this specific patch: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=82AE4397-0982-4585-84C1-DC1AF6944A0F&displaylang=en I have recently taken over our Exchange duties. While I am not a full on Exchange expert, I do have some knowledge in it. My main question regarding this patch is the proper way to install the patch. Are there any recommended guidelines? Anything I need to be aware of? Any other caveats? I was planning on doing it tonight, after hours when nobody was here. Is there anything else I should know? I like be thorough and...

can't sum figures in a report ...help please
I have a text box that uses an if statement to determine whether someone is absent in my class or not. I name the text box inattendance. I have a text box called points that assigns points to absent students depending on which class they are currently enrolled in. I want to sum the total points for each student. I do a simple =sum([points]) and when I run the report I get a box that just says points indicating that it doesn't have a definition for points. I used the name property of the text box and called it points. any suggestions on alernate methods or on what I am do...

Updating Office to Service Pack
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Everytime I attempt to install this upgrade, it searches all my drives and then tells me I don't have the product installed (I just reinstalled it from the installation disk which worked fine). I've attempted this several times without getting pass the point where the screeen says I don't have the required program installed. It may sound silly, but go to the [program]Menu> About [program] in any of the Office apps & see what version update you actually have - Later production runs of Office 2008 shipp...

Auto update of accounts
I am running MS Money Plus Deluxe and my bank accounts do not updat according to the update schedule I have set. The only way they update is by me selecting "update now". I have the "Customize update schedule" set up as follows: Under "Automated Online Updates" the "Use Automated Updates" checkbox is selected Under "Set an update frequency for your account" I have my bank set to update every 24 hours, but it never updates automatically. I have left the account "un-updated" for over a week, and still no automatic update. I have c...

How do I sum hours in Excel and convert to decimal numbers?
I am keep track of time that I am working on a project and have figured out how to have the results calculate the product. But how do I some a column of hours? Or how do I change the products into decimal numbers? e.g. 1:00 should equal 1.0 Multiply your result by 24 Change your formula to =(Your_Formula)*24 Be sure to format the result as General and not Time. Format | Cells | Number |General. tj "Heinsohn" wrote: > I am keep track of time that I am working on a project and have figured out > how to have the results calculate the product. But how do I some a c...