Suddenly not able to save new or open previous files with name lengths over 45 characters

I'm using Excel 2003 if it matters ... I'm wondering if there is a
known bug/issue on this.  For what ever reason, when I try to save a
new file (or for that matter open something done previously) with a
name that has more than 45 characters or so (might be off by a
couple), I get message that it can't save and then gives me a bunch of
reasons (file path might not exist, might have too many characters,
folder might be read only, etc).

I know file exists in the folder I'm checking - I can email myself the
file and open from the email so its definitely there!

Any sane insight?
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

I don't think it's just the length of the file, but there is a limit to the
length of the drive/path/filename.

Do you know how long the full name would be?

--

Dave Peterson
0
On Jun 16, 12:08=A0pm, Dave Peterson <peter...@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote:
> I don't think it's just the length of the file, but there is a limit to t=
he
> length of the drive/path/filename.
>
> Do you know how long the full name would be?
>
> GretOgrady wrote:
>
> > I'm using Excel 2003 if it matters ... I'm wondering if there is a
> > known bug/issue on this. =A0For what ever reason, when I try to save a
> > new file (or for that matter open something done previously) with a
> > name that has more than 45 characters or so (might be off by a
> > couple), I get message that it can't save and then gives me a bunch of
> > reasons (file path might not exist, might have too many characters,
> > folder might be read only, etc).
>
> > I know file exists in the folder I'm checking - I can email myself the
> > file and open from the email so its definitely there!
>
> > Any sane insight?
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

Thank you - silly me - I saw the 218 character limit and missed the
"file" name also being part of the count - that was it - 245 count at
the level I was trying... saves fine if I take it up a level so that
its at 212.

Problem adding new record in form view
Hi there, I have inherited an acccess database and have had to do some troubleshooting on an error message which is now sorted out. I now am unable to add a new record in form view, however if I enter the information directly into the table there is no problem. Please could you help with what might be going wrong? Thanks -- Snoozi Suzi Open the form in design view. Open the properties window for the form. Is the Allow Additions property set to yes? Regards Jeff Boyce Microsoft Office/Access MVP "SnooziSuzi" <SnooziSuzi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message n...

save as pipe delimited #2
hi, just an appendage: i found another link, which provides a file by Earl which does this. http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?t=265998&highlight=pipe+delimited i am not able to figure out where to input the filename for the data t be picked up from. any information regarding this would be helpful. thanks, mac -- icestationzbr ----------------------------------------------------------------------- icestationzbra's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=458 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26877 ...

EntityID for a newly created or saved item
Is there a way to get the value of the entityid for an object that is created or saved through the javascript. For example, if I want to show the ID of the object just saved in a javascript popup window (using the Form OnSave event) Thanks Balki The OnSave can't help you as the GUID isn't created until after that event has completed and the form refreshes. There isn't anything to really tell you that the record was "just" saved either. -- Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM "Balki" <Balki@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6DAEE605-...

Deleting characters in text fields
I have a table of data where the quantity is stored as a text value. Before I convert it to a number value I need to delete some of the characters. Most of the values appear like this: 25.000- but some appear as 5- with no decimal points. Is there a way to to strip out all characters to the left of the decimal point so that 25.000- ends up as 25? Or is there a way just to strip out the " - " character to get 25.000? Thanks, Sean Sean, You can strip out the "-" by using the Replace command: Replace("25.000-", "-", "") Taking every...

isv.config file
We have altered the isv.config file to show additional tabs and buttons in the CRM forms. These tabs and buttons show and work fine in the web client but are not available to the sales for outlook client. They do not show in Outlook. Should this customisation show in the sales for outlook client? Thanks, Brett if you look in your _resources directory under wwwroot on the crm web server you will see a file called OutlookClient_sample.xml you use this file for the outlook client config file. so you duplicate anything in isv.config to this file and call it i think OutlookClient.config -- ...

Find byte pattern in file (still desperate for solution)
I'm still desperately looking for a solution to this question. I need a very intelligent way to find an array of bytes within a file, but not only that preferably a regex expression of sorts. For example my database has around 50,000 regex entries such as "FFFF.*BB0403.*FF" that I want to turn into a byte array then search for. I understand how to go about writing my own code for this, however it is a little over my head when we're dealing with searching so many patterns against many files while trying to be speedy about the operation. Does anyone have any g...

Checking characters , non-printable etc.
I'm copying some data from another spreadsheet that someone else created. It looks fine on the screen, but when I print it or paste it into Outlook, it gets messed up. Specifically, there is one cell which has about 20 lines of text. Some of the lines begin with a bullet character. When it prints some of the bullets are at the beginning of the lines and some show up near the end of the line. Effectively, the format of the text is not what we're trying to achieve. In Word, I can show spaces and paragraph marks. Is there a way to do that in Excel. I could write a for...

Renaming Files
I have a great number of files labeled with a first name followed by a last name and a date. I need to switch the file names and save them as Last Name First Name followed by the date? Any suggestion on how to do this? Is there a character which separates the names, like space or underscore? Maybe.... If your file names are 3 parts each separated by a space: John Smith 12022005.xls Something like this might work: Option Explicit Sub testme01() Dim wkbk As Workbook Dim myFileNames As Variant Dim NewFileName As String Dim iCtr As Long Dim lCtr As Long Dim myName A...

How to copy iPhone SMS to TXT file on computer?
[url=http://www.backup-iphone-sms.com/how-to-copy-iphone-sms-to-txt-file.html][b]How to copy iPhone SMS to TXT file with iPhone SMS Backup software on computer?[/b][/url]What is .txt file: .txt is a filename extension for files consisting of text usually contain very little formatting (ex: no bolding or italics). Files with the .txt extension can easily be read or opened by any program that reads text and, for that reason, are considered universal (or platform independent).With Tansee iPhone Transfer SMS, you can [b]backup iPhone SMS to PC as a txt[/b] file and keep them safe. [b]Guide of how ...

Change Name in OWA
Hi all, I had a question about OWA with exchange 2007. Do users have the ability, through the GUI of OWA, to change their first and last names that are set in Active Directory? Robert no "supersonic_oasis" <supersonicoasis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:01F36301-1428-482E-8E86-4BDC21EFFD04@microsoft.com... > Hi all, > > I had a question about OWA with exchange 2007. Do users have the ability, > through the GUI of OWA, to change their first and last names that are set > in > Active Directory? > > Robert ...

Office 2003 Opening a new Excel Doc.
I just updated to Office 2003 and everytime I open up a new workbook a blank workbook name PERSONAL opens as well. How do I change that from happeneing?? Thanx, Jesse Hi Jesse Window>Hide and save the personal.xls When you record a macro you have the option to save the macro in this hidden workbook so you can use the macro in all your workbooks. You can find the file in your Xlstart folder -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Jesse" <Jesse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:65505D55-31EB-4BAA-A32D-B052F70E03AD@microsoft.com... >I just...

Cannot open this Item Error message
Error (Cannot open this Item) comes up when I do a Search with in my Mail and try to up it. My mailbox is huge and has a lot of folders because I have to keep all my mail. But when I go to where the email is located I can open it with no problems. Bartlomiej...@gmail.com wrote: > Error (Cannot open this Item) comes up when I do a Search with in my > Mail and try to up it. My mailbox is huge and has a lot of folders > because I have to keep all my mail. But when I go to where the email is > located I can open it with no problems. I have Outlook 2003 What version of Outlook and ...

What happened to the New Form Dialog box; are there still autoform

Deleting Rows Automatically using a Text File List
I have a text file list of .jpg files that I want to delete (rows) from Excel. The list has 800+ items in it. Deleting these rows one at a time in Excel (after doing a "find") is terribly time consuming. Does anyone know how to make Excel read my text file and delete the rows with that filename in it (automatically). The filename (listed in the text file) is in a column (in my excel sheet) called "filename". Any help would be most appreciated!!! Seriously! I may have to spend hours on this otherwise! Thank you, Arielle -- mirdonamy ------------------------------...

User name does not show up in Global Address List in Outlook
We created several AD accounts with email. I look at the exchange server and the recipients policy is default. Is there an options or configurations I need to do so the user email address will automatically show up in the global address list? I am stump as to why it does not show up in global address list. they should, automatically...are the AD accounts stamped with an smtp address? If not, it would appear that your RUS is malfunctioning...if they are, you should be able to see them in the GAL unless you're running Outlook in cached mode, maybe, and your OAB is not updating... -...

insert new row doesn't add formula
I have a table A2->M100 In the M Column I have a sum to calculate the total of that row =SUM(A34:N34) for example Now if I want to add a row into that table, I click on the number o the left, that highlights the row then I go insert>>row and that keep the formatting of the cells. BUT it doesn't add the =SUM(A54:N54) in the M column, and so I have ha to edit each cell by hand to get the correct formula. Is there an easier way to add a row and keep fomulas within that row but obviously automatically change the numbers to suit the row -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForu...

Export Excel file to SQL
I'm currently doing a project where it require client to export excel spreadsheets to SQL. the application that is using the excel spreadsheet exported is a web-based application. Is it possible to do that? Any suggestion or recommendation is greatly appreciated. thank you Go to Enterprise Manager. Browse to your database in the left pane (object browser). Right click your database. All Tasks --> Import Data. Next. Set your datasource to Microsoft Excel 97-2000 or whichever Excel version you have. Click the ... button next to the File Name text box and browse to your Excel sheet. M...

Great Plains Part time consulting/training job opening -Silicon Va
Hello All, My company, located in the California Silicon Valley, is looking for Great Plains knowledgable people on a part time basis. There are a couple of openings. If you are a Great Plains consultant (any/all modules), email me your resume at haribhagat@hotmail.com If you are a Great Plains user with knowledge on Great Plains Manufacturing or Great Plains Project Accounting module and would like to do additional part time work, send me your resume too. The company is located in the California Silicon Valley, local people only. --HB ...

open dialogue box
Can I print the Open dialogue box? I want to take a picture of all the listed documents in each Word folder to show the date and time they were created. Thank you. D. Ring You can take a screen shot, and insert it as an image into a Word file. Assuming you're using Windows with no other software hijacking the PrintScreen key, display the Open dialog box with the information you need, and press Alt+PrintScreen. This sends a copy of the current window to the clipboard. Then click in a blank Word document, and press Ctrl+V to paste the image into the Word docume...

Importing a CSV file
I want to import a file into physical inventory. Here is what I do: 1) Run a Quantity report(I don't think the report really matters) 2) I put it in alphabetical order, then I export it using RMS Manager into a ..CSV file 3) I go into Inventory > Physical Inventory, and I click on New and Manuel Entry 4) I import the file...it works just fine!!! BUT If you in any way alter the .CSV file, and save it again, in the same format Steps 1 - 4 won't work...WHY WHAT THE HECK AM I DOING WRONG??? -- Thank You Vince :) The problem might be the Item Lookup Codes are being modified by ...

Theme Files
I am attempting to make a theme file that will work on any computer that I want it to. So far I have made it work on my computer. When opened on other computers it only does some of what I want it to do. Anything anyone could suggest would be great. Themes are not part of Access, they are part of Windows. Your question may be better answered in a newsgroup appropriate to your problem. This newsgroup is dedicated to the Microsoft Access database product. -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org/access http://www.accessmvp.com "Nathan Ri...

Outlook Express creates a File on my desktop
ok i dont know if anyone else is getting this problem but when ever i run outlook express it creates a file on my desktop named "~". it has done this since new, and ive seen it on one other computer as well. is there a way to stop this from happening?? cause deleting the file everytime is getting tiresome...if anyone knows how to fix this please let me know. ty Shawn <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > ok i dont know if anyone else is getting this problem but > when ever i run outlook express it creates a file on my > desktop named "~". ...

how do i change the programme in which hyperlinks open?
I have a database contain tables with hyperlinks to documents that open in Adobe Acrobat. I want them to open in the Standard version of the program, so that they can be printed. At present they open in Reader. Are these documents you are trying to open .pdf files? -- Lynn Trapp MCP, MOS, MCAS "Suzume" wrote: > I have a database contain tables with hyperlinks to documents that open in > Adobe Acrobat. I want them to open in the Standard version of the program, so > that they can be printed. At present they open in Reader. ...

searching for questions by login name
How can I search for all the questions that specifically I submitted? I tried to use my display name and nothing returned. "GailH" <GailH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:830E4922-7352-4C30-8844-4EF72B0BD9C7@microsoft.com... > How can I search for all the questions that specifically I submitted? I > tried > to use my display name and nothing returned. Do yourself a BIG favour and ditch the horrible web interface. Use a news reader instead. Setting up Outlook Express/Windows Mail to access Microsoft newsgroups http://www.michaelsteve...

Excel 2003, Opening a file
Hello Everyone, I have this problem when trying to open a file in Excel. It takes along time to drill down down in the folder list. Any ideas? Thanks -Mark I suggest putting a shortcut to the file(s) or to the buried folder that your file(s) are in. The shortcut could be on your desktop or in some folder close to the "surface". To create the shortcut or your desktop you can navigate to the desired folder (using My Computer), right click and drag the folder to your desktop. When you release respond that you want to create a shortcut (rather than moving or copying...